The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Bored of your old Pokémon games, but still want to play them? Put your skills to the test with a solo run, a monotype challenge, or anything else you can think of.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:58 AM
dragon0fangz
account moved to 649

Nature: Relaxed
a wild IDEA appears!

Its not much of one, but you could do like a monotype CHALLENGE (or solo or nuzlocke or etc.) exclusively for all finished pokemon hacks. (so that's Brown, RD Realm of Legends, Quartz, Topaz.) If im missing any, please let me know, SO I CAN GET THEM.

also, do I really have to bold the word CHALLENGE?
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:02 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

No, bolding CHALLENGE is just our little trend.
Many people do CHALLENGES on hacks. Even if you got some names wrong (REIGN of Legends, and what is Topaz ?), it is a nice idea if you never did it.

Old September 18th, 2010, 02:34 PM
dragon0fangz
account moved to 649

Topaz is this fakemon hack, similar quality to Quartz made by Bazza. ehh. but someone should make an organized CHALLENGE thread
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
/old meme is old :(

I just had to drop out of a challenge. lol Bad, bad, bad challenge mod, I know. By the way, if anyone causes any mischief in any of my sections, this bad mamma jamma will get you, so be on the look out.

grrr scary seed bby!

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:26 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

Nice one, but, going off topic, who started this image lock thingy ? I first saw Nica's Cherrim, and now this.

And to be not completly off topic, mondays suck nuzlocke had an epic ending. And I lost all of my team mates except for Loan Shark the Croconaw is SS.

/fail/

Old September 19th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Vamaar
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quiet
I wonder if it would be worth making a challenge compilation thread? A thread that has all of the challenges and relative links to the threads in it, maybe a short description, and then a list of challenges that are too obscure or otherwise not worth a thread? Because I've seen a few good ideas and other challenges buried, and it would be useful for those who want to do a lot of challenges.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vamaar\
Old September 19th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Jak
baby smod

Technically, it started with Furret lock, which Audy has been using for ages. We just all decided that we were gen V obsessed and wanted our own locks. ^-^

About that compilation thread, I wouldn't really want to put the challenges that aren't made, because going through this thread would take ages. Plus, if I put a list and link to current challenges, it'd need constant updating for when they die off and when new ones are made and fffff. Guys, if you think this section is a mess when you see it, it's even worse for me because I can see all the deleted threads. So half the first page in this section is locked stuff. Haven't seen a new challenge in a week though.

Old September 19th, 2010, 02:22 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Syd, that's why you need someone like me to watch over it! I've always wanted something like this to happen, especially for people like me. It can totally be stickied and stuff, and then if I don't see a challenge and someone else spies it, they can tell me and I'll add it in. Please?
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:56 PM
GoGoShinyDunsparce
And Flounderp too!

Nature: Lax
OK guys, I've got some ideas, hope some turn out to be at least workable:

1 - pokemon Gym Leader Region Takeover:
Spoiler:

choose a region other than the one you're playing in. Each gym leader in your game must be beaten using the pokemon type of the gym leader in their position of the region of choice. (Basically, if you're playing in Hoenn, and choose Kanto, then you'll take on Roxanne with Brock's rock types, go up against Brawly with Misty's waters... as if the Kanto leaders were staging a coup. Just an idea)

Spoiler:

/Also, am I really slow that I've only just noticed that the Kanto leaders pwn each other in succession type-wise as the gyms get tougher? Erika>Surge>Misty>Brock, etc. In Johto, it's roughly opposite - so that if the leaders got off their butts and started looking for a promotion, they'd fall like dominoes all the way from Karen to Falkner... who would be second only to Lance o.O (Karen<Bruno<Koga<Will, Claire<Pryce<Jasmine<Chuck<Whitney, Bugsy<Falkner)/

2 - Pokemon team renewal:
Spoiler:

Have to have a team of 4-6 ASAP and at all times.
Each pokemon species/family can only be used against one gym leader (other trainers are fair game).
E4 team is made up of pokemon used in a gym battle, but from different teams.
Goes kind of well with Nuzlocke.

3 - pokemon doubles:
Spoiler:

If you're going to use something, you must use two of it on your party, with at most 1 shared move. Gender specification is optional.
No HM slaves - or 2 of the same :> player's choice.

4 - pokemon sandwich challenge:
Spoiler:

You may only use pokemon that are the middle form of three-member families (Lairon, Machoke, Skiploom, etc.). The families must have been introduced with all three pieces in the same gen (so Magmar/Electabuzz/Pikachu don't count).
It's ok to catch and evolve the basic forms, but only evolve them once (obviously).
Every eligible pokemon must be caught until the player has a team of 6 pokemon. If you faint it, you must catch that species ASAP. Later captures are optional.
Unused HM slave = optionally ok

5 - last but not least, pokemon consecutive type challenge:
Spoiler:

- Only single-typed pokemon are allowed here. Normal/Flying counts as single-type Flying.
- Player must catch the first eligible pokemon they see of each type. A second capture for each type is optional, but two of each is maximum.
Here's the catch: the player can only (and must, if possible) use 3 consecutive types of pokemon from the following list as their party at any given time:
Grass/Bug/Poison/Fire/Water/Ice/Normal/Flying/Dragon/Electric/Fighting/Ground/
Rock/Psychic/Ghost/Dark/Steel/Grass <-- the list comes full circle.
This order isn't random, it's the one I always use, based on the TCG ^^'
So, say Seaking is your water type, and you want to carry him. Then, you could have Fire, Water, and Ice pokemon, Poison/Fire/Water or Water/Ice/Normal pokemon only on your team. That's why 2 pokemon of each type are handy if you want to make it a bit easier ;) Example team: Magmar/Arcanine/Seaking/Blastoise/Glalie/Glalie
Say you wanted to use your Exploud - no problem, but you're stuck with at least one Ice and at least one Flying; at least one Flying and one Dragon; or at least one Water and one Ice (Ice/Normal/Flying, Normal/Flying/Dragon, Water/Ice/Normal).
- Your optional second catch pokemon for each type can only be used alongside the first catch for that type (not without its counterpart). So if you randomly get Poliwhirl as your water, and then go and catch yourself a Seadra, then you can't carry Seadra without Poliwhirl.
- Repeats are ok, just remember - no split-type pokemon.
- No trading.
- NFE pokemon do count; you may not evolve them beyond their single-type stage. Good luck with Metapod as your random-catch Bug :>
- Also, your starter counts as the first eligible pokemon for Grass, Fire or Water. Remember: no Bulbasaur! No Charizard (only Charmeleon), no Combusken/Blaziken, no Marshtomp/Swampert etc. So if you want Torchic, you're stuck with Torchic.
- HM slaves are ok for 2 spots, if you have to use them. Just don't battle with them.

Thanks for listening :]

EDIT: 6 - Route Challenge!
Spoiler:

You must train all of the pokemon from a random route and its two neighbours (you'd be assigned the route by a randomiser).
They should be kept around even levels/used at least once in a gym leader battle.
Evolving pokemon is fine.
No trades.
Pokemon that are found on the assigned routes can be caught earlier; it would be boring to go through with your starter until you got to routes 16/17/18 or something.
Sea routes count too - fishing, surfing and diving are all fine ways to get pokemon.
HM slaves ok, not for battle and frowned upon if not completely necessary ^^'
Example: I get 102/103/104 in Ruby - I have to train one each of Gardevoir, Masquerain, Azumarill (?), Linoone, Mightyena, Beautifly, Dustox, Shiftry, Pelipper, Tentacruel ^^. (Possibly more, not sure).

Last edited by GoGoShinyDunsparce; September 20th, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Everlark
[ w h i t e ]

I dig that middle challenge, because most of my favorite Pokemon are the middle stages (Quilava, Combusken, Marshtomp, Dragonair, Nidorina, etc.)

Quote:
Syd, that's why you need someone like me to watch over it! I've always wanted something like this to happen, especially for people like me. It can totally be stickied and stuff, and then if I don't see a challenge and someone else spies it, they can tell me and I'll add it in. Please?
We can figure something out. Since challenges are so inactive right now, it might be easier to set it up during this time. But we can think of something and get that working.

Yes, this is my alt, for those that didn't know.

yesterdaytodayFOREVER

paired with blaque
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:46 AM
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chaos11011
Syd,I remember that nickname :O When I saw it I thought you changed your name back xD

[Insert black and White Fandom here]

Um I'm in the mood for some Survival Challenge (Mainly cause Nuzlocke is in a dead end right now because I absolutly hate Grinding) (expects "THen why are you in Nuzlocke" xD) So I'll prob do that when I get the chance.

I also might have to do every challenge inthis thread cause my birthday is on Sunday (26th) Oh joy.
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM
Kenpokid
Soldier From the Surface

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Egg Group Challenge

People could cheat using Ditto :/
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:06 AM
Jak
baby smod

They can't cheat using Ditto because Ditto is its own Egg Group, and the challenge revolves around using Pokemon of a certain egg group. So you'd be stuck with only Ditto if you chose that Egg Group.

And no Chaos, I won't make you do every challenge in the thread. Just that survival challenge. That's it. :P

Old September 21st, 2010, 11:29 AM
SacredMiKeY
Trainer

Do we have to use pokemon only for challenges, or can we use other games?
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

Syd always finds cute titles, OMG OMG !!!1111!!!11!
Eh, whatever.
Nice ideas you got there, Dunsparce. I was a bit too lazy to read through them all though xD
Sandwich challenge sounds really fun (and the name is catchy too), mostly because it is easy, and, well I am quite lazy. And SoulSilver hurt today. A LOT.
Okay, the rest, I am inactive. Oh well, I just hope I can log in my EPIC nuzzy.
I mean, epic failing.

Last edited by 560cool.; September 21st, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM
Jak
baby smod

Quote:
Do we have to use pokemon only for challenges, or can we use other games?
Um, considering all these challenges are for Pokemon games, yes? I mean, you're asking in a section called General Pokemon Gaming Discussion, so I don't know what kinda answer you're expecting.

Old September 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM
GoGoShinyDunsparce
And Flounderp too!

Thanks guys, good to know they might get somewhere. I intend to try as many of those as possible myself, I'll get back to this thread when I'm done.

Most of all, I'd really like to know how any of these could be made more fun, 'cause I only know my own preferences - and most of all, they are for it to be difficult/force me to use weird pokes.

I'm currently doing a modified Nuzlocke: the usual rules, plus all pkmn I own must be at least a certain level before each gym, otherwise they're unusable (dead) after that gym. Also, I'm test-running the Team Replacement challenge I talked about earlier in the same game - so each poke species can only fight in 1 gym battle. Wonder what will happen when I hit the water routes :/
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:33 PM
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 560cool. View Post
Yes, I know. Here is the exact quote from the HGSS GameFAQs walkthrough ...

I said it from memory, so I was wrong. Well, anyways, as you can see, you can use items, but only the ones you get on the field.
Well, someone can attempt it. And who is that ?
I'll let you guys guess.

and yes, I approve of this title :-)
Looks that person is me :O (yes I pulled this quote from a couple pages back xD

I'm debating wether(spelling fail) to do the Survival Challenge now and not record.Or wait till I find my video Camera and make a Playthrough (kinda like what I did in my HG Mono type exept I will record the whole thing) (And with Slow Internet being in Brasil this will be annoying D:)
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:41 AM
myrrhman
Challenge God

chaos, we can both do this. I'd like to do it as well. What game will you be using?
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:08 PM
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!

Myrrh,I will be using Heart Gold because Rock Smash is a necessity in this run.I've decided that I will record but if Youtube annoys me like my last recorded run (Not Uploading/Uploading out of order/taking 24 hours to upload one video) I will stop.I'm asl gonna be creative and Nickname my pokes after some of you guys (Sydian,Mondays,560Cool.,Myrrhman and Myself of course xD) Who you guys will be named after I will not say,because unlike Black and White this will not be spoiled >:D

Also Myrrh we have to test some stuff like does Trading/Pokethlon heal because if they do we must ban it or unless its necessary like Trade evo's or Obtaining Evolution Items. I'm pretty motivated to do this because I personaly like recording and this can be a good base for when I do a recorded Playthrough of Black I will get some idea to do so.

(Also who will make the thread,If I do you can be co-owner.And if you do could I be Co-Owner?)
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos11011 View Post
(Also who will make the thread,If I do you can be co-owner.And if you do could I be Co-Owner?)
Absolutely.

Also, because I think it's important and can really help people out a ton, I'm going to remind everyone: we need a stickied thread with a collective list of all the challenges. I'm thinking it should be like this:

Spoiler:
Current Challenges:

Challenge A, hosted by individual I: http://www.url.com: Description of the challenge
Challenge B, hosted by individual I: http://www.url.com: Description of the challenge
Challenge C, hosted by individual $: http://www.url.com: Description of the challenge

Abandoned Challenges:

Challenge A, hosted by individual I: http://www.url.com: Description of the challenge
Challenge B, hosted by individual I: http://www.url.com: Description of the challenge
Challenge C, hosted by individual 4561: http://www.url.com: Description of the challenge

Remade Challenges:

Challenge A, hosted by individual T: http://www.url.com: Description of the challenge
Challenge B, hosted by individual 10: http://www.url.com: Description of the challenge
Challenge C, hosted by individual ™: http://www.url.com: Description of the challenge

New Ideas:

Possible Name of challenge S, name of person who came up with it, description
Possible Name of challenge L, name of person who came up with it, description
Possible Name of challenge 2, name of person who came up with it, description

Current Challenges are all the challenges that are active on the challenge board. Please tell me you understand this part, because if you don't, society has no hope.

Abandoned Challenges are challenges that were being posted in, but for some reason or another, nobody loved them anymore, and they slowly got pruned out.

Remade Challenges are challenges that are either abandoned or locked because a new, shinier challenge came along. I know that I did a couple of monotype challenges in RBY for instance, and when I do the Ultimate Monotype for that type, I'll want to just be able to say, "Yo, here's my Kanto leg. I did it 4 months ago or whatever."

New Ideas are the challenges that sort of arise in this thread, but never get off the ground yet. If someone thinks, "Hey, this is a cool idea! I wanna make that!" then all they have to do is ask the original thinker for permission.

Whadda ya think?
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:18 PM
Domin-8
aka Unoringinally Funny

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Domin-8
I just have to say that looks good to me.
It would keep track easier.
And hey even though I don't post a lot, I could keep you guys informed on stuff that you may miss.
If you wish.

Please click all on profiles please
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God

What I had in mind is that since it's a sticky thread, everyone can post in it. Once someone comes up with a new idea, they post it there. Same goes for if anyone notices a thread move from active to abandoned, or if someone sees a challenge get remade.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Jak
baby smod

An official index sticky that everyone posts in? That sounds like the biggest no-no if I ever heard one. Besides if there's going to be a challenge index thread, I would much prefer, no offense, people with decent typing and font formatting to make it look good. Plus it would get locked so that people aren't all up in there posting and what not. I'd have to edit posts though, since once a thread's locked, you can't edit them. I don't know about it though. I'm not seeing the point in it too much. It's not like the fan fiction index thread. Fan fics are in more abundance and they're for reading, not participating. So even the fan fics that are already locked but are on the index (like mine), they're fine since they're purpose is to be read, not to be posted in. The part with the dying/dead challenges could be potential baddies since people like to revive old threads, and then they'd still sit there on the list, just because we have that one category for the dying challenges. Maybe in a different organization, such as sorting them by region/game/misc.

Either way, if this happens, it will not be any time soon. I said that now would be a good time to do it since this place hasn't had a new challenge in weeks, but right now, the idea is just not appealing to me.

Last edited by Jak; September 22nd, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
GoGoShinyDunsparce
And Flounderp too!

Alright, question - if I wanted to test run a challenge idea before sending it for moderator assessment, is there a place on the forum for me to post logs, or should I just keep them to myself until further notice?

Also, I'd quite like it if there was some kind of challenge-idea directory... but it's not a must, because all it takes is a little bit of time to look through this thread. Just my 2 cents.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links