The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 19th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Pokemonguy1990
Pokemon Shoto Saga Creator

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to Pokemonguy1990

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by プラチナ・ベルリッツ View Post
Simple Answer: NO, YOU CANNOT ADD NEW MAP NAMES TO THE ROM! (Well, for the meanwhile at least.)

If you have read some post about this somewhere before, the reason behind this is because there is a routine in some part of the ROM that limits the number of map names the game has.

FR/LG has 202 maps (I think) in the ROM and in that "routine" (asm?) there is a value there "CA" (CA->202) which from what I remember is the limit.

And from other posts that I've read, the reason why "Create New Name" is greyed out is because if you add a new map name (bypassing the limit) it will corrupt other data in the ROM.

So unless the author of A-map makes a way to get rid off the limit, we can only do for now is to REPLACE map names and not ADD new names.

Wew..
oh, okay, that's kind of disappointing, but understandable. thanks for letting me know. My main reason of asking was because 1: I haven't been able to search each thread for the answer her on PC, and 2: I have not found any other websites saying one way or the other on this issue. Thankyou again for answering my question.

on another note.

I know of a couple maps in the fire red ROM labeled Sevii Isle # (Maps 3.50-3.53) that aren't in the game themselves. If I make these accessible in the ROM will they cause any issues? Two of them are 1x1 (Sevii Isle 6 and Sevii Isle 7) and are black tiles, (if you select the tile it comes up as water on the Tile Bank) and the other two are 84x20 and 24x60 and consist of water and rocks. the 84x20 (Sevii isle 8) has a small island in the middle, and a couple tiles are misplaced with a small cliff in the bottom right. While the 26x60 (Sevii Isle 9) is simply water bordered by rocks, with a small cliff in the top right.

the irony is that I want to add four more maps, and luck my there are these four available (and can be renamed with out my previous stated issue, since I want the names of these locations to come up like when you enter any other town, route, etc.), but since they are not normally accessed in the game, I'm afraid to add them and corrupt my ROM (as well as 3-4 months of map editing work).
Leader of Cyndiquil Productions Hack Team

Old September 19th, 2010, 01:48 PM
konman719
Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemonguy1990 View Post
Well, here's what i got to explain it. (I tried to post the image as a picture, but I'm under the 15 post / URL attachment limit)

Konman719, is this the problem you're having? just so we're all on the same page.
yes that is the problem im having but i guess you cant add new map after all bc there is a limit... that really sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by プラチナ・ベルリッツ View Post
Simple Answer: NO, YOU CANNOT ADD NEW MAP NAMES TO THE ROM! (Well, for the meanwhile at least.)

If you have read some post about this somewhere before, the reason behind this is because there is a routine in some part of the ROM that limits the number of map names the game has.

FR/LG has 202 maps (I think) in the ROM and in that "routine" (asm?) there is a value there "CA" (CA->202) which from what I remember is the limit.

And from other posts that I've read, the reason why "Create New Name" is greyed out is because if you add a new map name (bypassing the limit) it will corrupt other data in the ROM.

So unless the author of A-map makes a way to get rid off the limit, we can only do for now is to REPLACE map names and not ADD new names.

Wew..
Wow.... well that really sucks :/ im happy somebody finallly answered my question, though, after waiting for so long... thanks a bunch, and if you ever figure out a way around the limit, let me know

Last edited by konman719; September 19th, 2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:04 PM
mikecy15
Beginning Trainer

how can i use this new tiles that you got on paragraph: Areas
???plz anyone help me!???
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Pokemonguy1990

When setting map connections, how do I calculate the offset? also, if an offset is 1 on one map, does it have to be -1 on the map I'm connecting to?

I'm asking because I'm getting tired of opening the game in VBA and checking it.

Old September 24th, 2010, 05:00 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
When setting map connections, how do I calculate the offset? also, if an offset is 1 on one map, does it have to be -1 on the map I'm connecting to?

I'm asking because I'm getting tired of opening the game in VBA and checking it.
The values in the "offset" fields should be opposites. So yes, if one is '1', the other should be '-1'. As for finding the value itself, I usually just use trial and error. You could probably work it out with a bit of math but who wants to do that? :P

Brother of Vrai
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Pokemonguy1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcolstyles View Post
The values in the "offset" fields should be opposites. So yes, if one is '1', the other should be '-1'. As for finding the value itself, I usually just use trial and error. You could probably work it out with a bit of math but who wants to do that?
Thank you, I'm sure I can figure out a little formula or something to help me, but just knowing that i do need a positive and negative offset helps a lot.

Thanks again!

Old September 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM
tvoza2
Armored Skarmory

Nature: Bold
how do you insert tilesets in advanced map?
Old October 9th, 2010, 03:59 AM
プラチナ・ベルリッツ
~してんのうの カトレア!!

Nature: Modest
Quote:
oh, okay, that's kind of disappointing, but understandable. thanks for letting me know. My main reason of asking was because 1: I haven't been able to search each thread for the answer her on PC, and 2: I have not found any other websites saying one way or the other on this issue. Thankyou again for answering my question.

on another note.

I know of a couple maps in the fire red ROM labeled Sevii Isle # (Maps 3.50-3.53) that aren't in the game themselves. If I make these accessible in the ROM will they cause any issues? Two of them are 1x1 (Sevii Isle 6 and Sevii Isle 7) and are black tiles, (if you select the tile it comes up as water on the Tile Bank) and the other two are 84x20 and 24x60 and consist of water and rocks. the 84x20 (Sevii isle 8) has a small island in the middle, and a couple tiles are misplaced with a small cliff in the bottom right. While the 26x60 (Sevii Isle 9) is simply water bordered by rocks, with a small cliff in the top right.

the irony is that I want to add four more maps, and luck my there are these four available (and can be renamed with out my previous stated issue, since I want the names of these locations to come up like when you enter any other town, route, etc.), but since they are not normally accessed in the game, I'm afraid to add them and corrupt my ROM (as well as 3-4 months of map editing work).
Let's see.. I think you can use those maps in your hack because from what I've read that Sevii Isles (it's different from Sevii Islands) 6,7,8,9 are unused maps that were dropped from the released games but were left there (Wow, quite lazy I see? :p). They should work and for the 1x1 map you could resize it. But just to be sure, backup your ROM first.

I'm going to check it right now...

Yup, it works 100%! I renamed it, resized it, and added events to it. Just make sure you remove the connections of Sevii Isles 6 and 7 to Three Island.

Old November 13th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Loony Boo♪
King Boo, from Whack A Hack!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Loony Boo♪ Send a message via Skype™ to Loony Boo♪
Wow, this guide is amasing! Congratulations Link, this is one of the best guides i've seen on the internet, very well explained, clear and it have images n.n

Bye!
Old November 14th, 2010, 11:16 PM
pokemonlover_534
Beginning Trainer

sound good guess it well be fun but not sure have to try it
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55% of plepoe can.I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! fi yuo cna raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their Pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:02 AM
dt200
Was and will be forever alone.

My rom can't be opened. It said the ini of the file cannot be loaded.
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:56 AM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt200 View Post
My rom can't be opened. It said the ini of the file cannot be loaded.
You need to be more specific than that. What ROM are you trying to open?

Brother of Vrai
Old December 12th, 2010, 03:36 PM
JustKidingYa
No, this time its for real

Nature: Docile
Great Tutorial, But say for example your hacking emerald, i don't know if you know this but They say that emerald has the FR/LG game engine, well i opened it turns out it has ALL the FR/LG maps but there the kind that dont have headers so it looks like nintendo made a mistake and deleted them can ya insert them back in? Also can ya insert new headers?

EDIT: i figured it out what you do is goto header then select the deleted header and walah reopen your rom an there ya have it

P.S: that give emerald some 130+ maps!!!

Last edited by JustKidingYa; February 26th, 2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
SnapTime
Unhatched Egg

thanks, this helped because i wasnt sure exactly how the map connections worked.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
Version Five
Restarted entire hack. :(

I have a question, how do you get other tilesets when your trying to edit a different map? Like I'm trying to edit Little Root, and I want tile sets 1 and 2, but I can't find an option. The only way I can get these is if I try to make a new map, but I can't use that map because it saves in the Map Files, so how would I move it to the new area?
Old December 27th, 2010, 11:51 AM
氏 マイケル
Pika Pika!

Nature: Jolly
Great tutorial! I'm sure people who are new to AdvanceMap, would find this tutorial useful!
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:50 PM
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Nature: Calm
Quote:
I have a question, how do you get other tilesets when your trying to edit a different map? Like I'm trying to edit Little Root, and I want tile sets 1 and 2, but I can't find an option. The only way I can get these is if I try to make a new map, but I can't use that map because it saves in the Map Files, so how would I move it to the new area?
The option is under the "header" tab. Scroll to the bottom and there is an area labeled "used tilesets". Change the numbers in the boxes to the ones you want and click "change tileset".
Old February 7th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Forever Alone
This account died

Woop dats kewl i figured out most of it in my head but i just learned a little bit moar. once i figure out the movement scripts and the sprites i will start my hack
Old February 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM
ellingtonisland
Beginning Trainer

I solved the problem, you select the name from the list of names in the header and select a name like palate town or something and it will change the name of the town without effecting little root town.
Old February 26th, 2011, 06:36 AM
JustKidingYa
No, this time its for real

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Version Five View Post
Okay thats confusing but i'm guessing your talking about making new maps so just click new map then, make your map, then insert map (you did know that was there, right?) just click creat and insert open up littleroot's map it should be there and done next if you want it to be alse where just goto header and first place its says littleroot select the map ya want it goto and done, again .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyabsol1 View Post
The option is under the "header" tab. Scroll to the bottom and there is an area labeled "used tilesets". Change the numbers in the boxes to the ones you want and click "change tileset".
i just thought he was talking about inserting maps

Last edited by JustKidingYa; February 26th, 2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: actually you guys did that
Old February 26th, 2011, 04:04 PM
emperorsenshi
Beginning Trainer

Send a message via Skype™ to emperorsenshi
Is there a way to apply dynamic offsets in the header/footer of the map so I don't have to repoint it manually to change the size?
Old March 17th, 2011, 08:32 AM
jabberjabber8
../\..

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jabberjabber8 Send a message via Skype™ to jabberjabber8
For some reason when i replace a map on fire red with a new map it always has the same name as the first town, and if i try to change the name it changes the name of the first town as well...
I understand you can only have so many map names in one rom but i am not adding a new map i am replacing a old one and i would like to keep the name of the old one...

If anyone knows how to fix this can you please PM me...

Rumble rock is back, expect a BETA soon.
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Impo
Vital Spirit
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Wonderful tutorial: I actually understand how to use advance maps now .

Just one question: how do you insert your own tiles into a game?
I don't know how and I want to create a 'renascence fair/medieval' based city,
and I can only use tiles I have to make.

And, on that subject, how wide and high is a tile? (I know it may seem obvious, but to me it isnt

...Let's play a game...
3DS FC: 3411-1566-9347
Paired to Naya Rivera & ShiningRaichu
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:25 PM
HUDAHELL
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Naughty
thx its a nice tutorial i would like to be a mapper soon but it seems it makes me hard to design a place xs
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:26 PM
timson733333
Me gusta.

Nature: Quiet
When I save a map to a .map file, and I try to load it onto a clean ROM, it does not save. Why?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here