The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Keeping up with the upcoming and currently airing Japanese and English episodes? This is where you can discuss each of the episodes respectively.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy

Advertise here
Fan of the original series of Pokémon? The good ole' days when Ash, Brock, and Misty were a traveling together through Kanto, the Orange Islands, and Johto? Well, rather than developing new threads to bring back the past or bringing up the older ones due to lack of much responses, here's a one-for-all sticky where fans of the original series can discuss the many various episodes and movies within these sagas. You are free to remedy in nostalgia, bring up your favorite moments, favorite episodes, point out the earlier errors, and so on.

The Rules for this thread?
- Keep things relevant to the original series, which the thread title points out for you.
- All PC Rules and Anime Rules do apply.
- Excepting the 30-day-revival rule.
- No flaming, bashing etc. And Misty lovers, try not to get too touchy.
- Just have fun and let's bring back the memories a lot of miss.
Links
- Pokémon Anime Rules
- Advanced & Battle Frontier Discussion
- Diamond & Pearl Discussion
- Best Wishes Discussion
- Black & White/Best Wishes Episode Index
- Pokémon the Anime XY Episode Index
Discuss and remember to love Charaxes!

Last edited by Wobbu; June 3rd, 2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old September 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM
The Red Chain

I started re-watching the Kanto series from episode 1 all the way up.. and I got to relive one of my most favorite moments. Where Ash was in danger of being attacked by the Spearow and Pikachu gets up, running towards him, and jumps onto his shoulder.. then uses his Thunder to save Ash from the mass attack. The two then awoke laying together and Ash smiled at Pikachu and said "well.. we did it.."

At that moment, I remembered why I fell in love with Pokemon. Despite the childish atmosphere and aim, the anime is extremely deep. It shows the immense value of friendships, the trust between two, and the care that is so very hard to come by these days in the real world. One thing is for certain, I'll never forget all of those dearly beloved moments. <3

Old September 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Dark Azelf
ThisWillBeTheEndOfEveryth ing.
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
And Misty lovers, try not to get too touchy.
I lol'd.

But yes i am a huge fan of Misty (i know, gasp!). When she left that was when i actually quit watching the anime. I dunno, it just seemed to lose its appeal and the "originalness" feel it once had. I was younger back then so i was really quite upset when she did leave. XD

Anyway, speaking of "trio". I just watched episode 31 Dig Those Diglett and found myself grinning rather alot. That was one my fav episode, not only because i love Koffing and it evolved, but also because of the whole "diglett dig diglett dig trio trio trio" thing haha. XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fDN1...eature=related

Never gets old. XDD

[/nostalgia]
Pair x [23:25] =Sanguine: take meh with your mighty staff
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Gumball Watterson
"79% of stair accidents happen on stairs."
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Hmm... even before I got into Advanceshipping, when Misty left it didn't bother me at all. It was a nice change I think because I simply didn't like her personality (Remember this is through 10 year old deduction, which is very messed up). Although, I don't remember my thoughts exactly, because I was on a hiatus for new episodes of Pokemon because I never had any idea when or where they aired until after the Jotho League.

But omg, I still remember when I was like 7-9 years old when I would go freakin crazy over watching the original series just because it was Pokemon. I remember I cried once when my mom didn't let me watch Pokemon when it aired during evenings in Cartoon Network like a looong time ago. I can't even bother counting the years. But as I was exposed to the internet and my reasoning developed, my opinions changed. Right now I am simply not 1% of a fan of the original series (1% might be an understatement also, recall that I tantrumed when I didn't watch Pokemon).

Yet, I feel like I grew up without a childhood because it was because of the earlier series of Pokemon contributed with my childishness that I suffered severe bullying at elementary school. All I know is that back then had joy mixed in with the pain of being socially different, and I dropped trying to bother remembering much of those days. Also contributive to why I'm not such a fan anymore and why I have not a positive like for Misty. Of course, I couldn't drop Pokemon alltogether, but after I set my maturity on semi-decent track during Hoenn, I must have just snapped out anything with the original series, because I refuse to look at myself during such immature days.

And, I guess that's my opening thesis on the original series, and how it impacted my life. I guess if I wasn't so different, I'd have a better sense of nostalgia, but for sure my academic situation would not be the same.
Old September 20th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Masquerainisthajam
Self-Proclaimed Gym Leader

Nature: Gentle
I loved watching Pokemon when I was younger. I'm still somewhat of a fan now, but sooner or later I'm going to watch every single Gym Battle up to this very moment. I watched bits and pieces of the Johto series and I missed out on 95% of the Hoenn track. But I started back up watching Pokemon Diamond and Pearl and I was shocked to see all different types of Pokemon and whatnot. But anyway, enough of me rambling.

My favorite episode by far in the original series would have to be hands down Holy Matrimony! I loved this episode because we find out James's background (nobody thought he would be from a wealthy southern family!) and his soon-to-be bride Jessiebelle, who looks just like Jessie. Plus, that Growlithe was beast. You know what? I'm going to watch that right now!

What made it even better was when Galactic Battles released The Treasure is All Mine! which brings back Jessiebelle among other things. It even shows how James got wrapped up in the whole situation and it gains constant points for accuracy. It was awesome!

We can make a Pokémon Concert! All we need is Jigglypuff to sing...wait, that would be a bad idea because we would all fall asleep, Jigglypuff would get mad and then it would draw on all of our faces...yeah, let's not do that!

75% of Pokémon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their Pokémon battle-worthy.
If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokémon up legally, put this in your signature.
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:29 AM
Guy
just a guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquerainisthajam View Post
Plus, that Growlithe was beast.
I still wonder every now and then why Growlithe had to stay back and couldn't travel with James. :\ I always thought the original series held back a lot when it came to Team Rocket. Which is disappointing since they could have brought out a lot in Team Rocket before.

I think the one thing for me is that the original series had a lot of, probably the most of, were touching moments. While comedy is the best thing, I sometimes miss those touching moments that the original series had. While the newer series has some, it isn't exactly the same for me.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:39 PM
Masquerainisthajam
Self-Proclaimed Gym Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiiro View Post
I think the one thing for me is that the original series had a lot of, probably the most of, were touching moments. While comedy is the best thing, I sometimes miss those touching moments that the original series had. While the newer series has some, it isn't exactly the same for me.
Yeah, when Ash thought that he was going to leave Pikachu, the first episode where the friendship between Ash and Pikachu was forged when they were attacked by Spearow, when Ash got trapped in that crossfire in the first movie; those were all touching moments. I almost cried in that last moment I mentioned

We can make a Pokémon Concert! All we need is Jigglypuff to sing...wait, that would be a bad idea because we would all fall asleep, Jigglypuff would get mad and then it would draw on all of our faces...yeah, let's not do that!

75% of Pokémon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their Pokémon battle-worthy.
If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokémon up legally, put this in your signature.
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Guy
just a guy

How many of you remember, Together Forever?
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:16 PM
indigoleague
Beginning Trainer

I feel bad for the kids these days watching it because they never got to see what I saw. The orginal episodes were BY FAR the best!! 82 epsiodes in Season 1 were all masterpieces. They will never be forgoton. Best era in a my childhood. Those episodes made my childhood. I remeber all the kids going nuts at recess talking about the episodes and trading pokemon cards.
Old September 25th, 2010, 11:09 PM
nickstr
Smoochum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Azelf View Post
But yes i am a huge fan of Misty (i know, gasp!). When she left that was when i actually quit watching the anime. I dunno, it just seemed to lose its appeal and the "originalness" feel it once had
Its nice to run into a like minded person. I quit largely because of that too but still watch Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto episodes to this day. Not to mention Misty brought a number of things to the main cast which vanished with her such as insight on several different things. Not to mention trying to give others courage and hope in their times of need.
Old September 29th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Charaxes
Pokémon Master

Send a message via AIM to Charaxes
Quote:
Discuss and remember to love Charaxes!
Yes, everyone should give tribute to me, like a goat, or something.

Anyway, I'll address it this here. My apologies for not reading the forum much sooner, as my offsite blogging has been absorbing too much of my attention. Duly noted about the Episode Discussion issue, and I shall cease accordingly.

Meanwhile, for a topic, 10 years ago, the Orange Island arc was wrapping up, dub-wise. I never thought of it, at the time, but it was an essential arc for its uniqueness. Especially as Johto rot would soon be upon us. Heaven helped us, back then.
Old September 29th, 2010, 07:02 AM
mervyn797
What? I'm right here. >D

Nature: Careful
Quote:
How many of you remember, Together Forever?
I doubt whether anyone can forget this one. It's like.. one of the best Pokemon songs. I remember those old days when there was that jukebox with all of these old songs. I miss the jukebox. :'(
Old September 29th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Roxasabridged
Lucariowner

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roxasabridged
I watched up to episode 18 of Johto recently, and just got bored of the original series. IT was incredibly repetitive :/ Misty (and Brock) Where pretty much useless since they did almost nothing important, and barely even battled, despite being Gym Leaders.

Still, it has its moments. Anything with Charizard was going to be epic, and Chikorita was great too (I must have missed the episode where it pretty much kicked Charizard's ass years ago).
Old September 29th, 2010, 07:39 PM
indigoleague
Beginning Trainer

I just got done watching all 82 episodes of season 1 today. It took me a month and a half. I am 21 years old and boy did it bring back some memories. Guys I am going to be totally honest, i know that i am going to be biast because I grew up during this time frame but season 1 is BY FAR the best season out of the 13 seasons they have or whatever. They are soo many things that made that season the best. Ash battling brock and Misty for badges. Pickchu vs Raichu. Sabrina and Kadambra. Cinnabar Island. The Indigo league tournament. Richie vs ash at the end.(last episode chokes me up every time). The orginal 150 pokemon will always be the best. I hope that all the young Pokemon fans actually have seen season 1 because its not on television. If you havent, ask your parents for chrismas or your birthday to buy it for you or watch it online. That first season season of pokemon set the bar so high, that it could never get reached again. I am a little bothered by the end of the season because Ash lost to Richie because Charizard feel asleep. We all know that Charizard would have destroyed Richies Pikachu. I understand also thou it makes sense because Ash never tried to train Charizard and thats what he got for it. A question for all of you out there, Why was there 82 episodes in season 1 and all the rest only had around 30 episodes per season????

I know that all of you on here watch the new episodes and stuff and I respect you guys because its your opinion whther you like the new stuff or not but the first season can never be touched. The first 4 seasons were great but season 1 is legendary. I cant watch the new episodes because all the new pokemon are getting ridiclous and the new voices of ash and misty hurt me from watching and now I heard misty and brock arent even on the show anymore. whats up with that? i hope I didnt offend any of the younger pokemon fans on here but I just wanted to state my opinion.

please give feedback
Old September 29th, 2010, 07:48 PM
jlampard
Beginning Trainer

i totally agree
im 20 and the first season was a great part of my childhood
it was uniqe
broock having vulpix
ash and butterfree
all the jiglipuff episodes
epic battles like gary vs giovanni and mewtwo
a fantastic season

black and white team
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:20 PM
indigoleague
Beginning Trainer

i am 20 also about to turn 21, i just like to say i am 21. jiglipuff episodes were great. Some one made a thread and asked whats your favorite song of all time? thats not even a question. Its the theme song of the first season. gotta catch them all. i remember when pokemon was the most popular thing on the planet. in school i am remeber that you werent cool if you didnt watch the show( first and second season) and collect the cards.those were the days. almost brings a tear to my eyes
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:26 PM
jlampard
Beginning Trainer

haha i also remember collecting pokemon toys with my friends and because of the show pikachu and charizar were the strongest
and the cards i had all except for krabby haha (damn you krabby)

pd: have a look to my post on this section

black and white team
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:31 PM
indigoleague
Beginning Trainer

have a look to my post at this section? charizard was the strongest pokemon card out of all the originals and rarest..i am remember my first pack I opened I got a Chansey. second strongest and rarest pokemon of the basic set
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Gumball Watterson
"79% of stair accidents happen on stairs."
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Of course Misty isn't on the show anymore! You my friend have been living under a Patrick Star Rock! The girl in my theme is the current girl, and I think she tops Misty by a long run.

But oh well. If you don't like the new stuff, there ain't much worth complaining about it. Because there will be people who will love things for the exact same reason other people hate it. The only thing you can do about it is sit there and cry, or cope with it. You can also watch the Japanese anime! If you learn a bit, you'll learn a bit more and maybe enjoy it more than the dub.

And who the hell are you calling younger fans? There's plenty of old prunes that prefer the new stuff.
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

I would have to agree with you although a lot of it is down to nostalgia and the fact that it was the first series. I don't really think the quality of writing dropped too much, the show was aimed at younger kids therefore the repetitiveness isn't an issue.

Other than indigo i really liked the Jhoto League episodes, also i have really high hopes of Best Wishes from the first couple of Japanese episodes.
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:23 AM
yossarian
Knight of Cydonia

Nature: Modest
Quote:
I just got done watching all 82 episodes of season 1 today. It took me a month and a half. I am 21 years old and boy did it bring back some memories. Guys I am going to be totally honest, i know that i am going to be biast because I grew up during this time frame but season 1 is BY FAR the best season out of the 13 seasons they have or whatever. They are soo many things that made that season the best. Ash battling brock and Misty for badges. Pickchu vs Raichu. Sabrina and Kadambra. Cinnabar Island. The Indigo league tournament. Richie vs ash at the end.(last episode chokes me up every time).
Try watching them in a years time once the nostalgia factor wears of. You realise they arn't as good as the other seasons. I mean they arn't bad but there are others are clearly better from a technical point of view. Obviously you like me (being the same age) grew up with the original so you'll always have some special affliation with which I have no problem with but I argue that had you not watched the first season when you were younger and instead decided to watch the ten seasons for the first time this summer you'd have a different opinion.

The pacing was awful, Ash making completely ridiculous decisions even for him, writing all over the place partly due the fact that the writers wern't sure about the longevity of the show at that moment. You should really watch the entire series before making such elevated opinions about the first season.

Quote:
The orginal 150 pokemon will always be the best. I hope that all the young Pokemon fans actually have seen season 1 because its not on television. If you havent, ask your parents for chrismas or your birthday to buy it for you or watch it online. That first season season of pokemon set the bar so high, that it could never get reached again.
Most of us (well at least on this forum from what I can tell) arn't young Pokemon fans and have seen season one (we probably wouldn't be on here had we not).

Quote:
We all know that Charizard would have destroyed Richies Pikachu. I understand also thou it makes sense because Ash never tried to train Charizard and thats what he got for it. I am a little bothered by the end of the season because Ash lost to Richie because Charizard feel asleep.
Ash did try to train Charizard, it just wouldn't listen to him because it regarded him as too weak and unless Ash became Gym Leader material all of a sudden it still probably wouldn't have listend to him whatever he tried. It took a completely by chance moment for it to start listening to him and that was only because it realised how much Ash cared for it not because he was strong.

Quote:
. A question for all of you out there, Why was there 82 episodes in season 1 and all the rest only had around 30 episodes per season????
Each other season has on average 50 episodes, with three seasons (4 for Sinnoh) encompossing each region, making about 150 episodes per region. The only reason Indigo has a lot fewer episodes is because the writers didn't have the foresight (Should have got a Noctowl ) to realise how sucessful the franchise would be when they first started constructing the anime so they rushed through bits in an attempt to tell the story before a possible cancellation. Hence the awful pacing at times. Had they known the levels of popularity it would attain, there would have been a lot more episodes, probably on the same levels as the other three.

Quote:
I cant watch the new episodes because all the new pokemon are getting ridiclous and the new voices of ash and misty hurt me from watching and now I heard misty and brock arent even on the show anymore. whats up with that?
They arn't getting ridcolous as Pokemon specimens go. There are few more weirder ones granted but the level of art and creativity has always been the same. I suspect you've lost the enthuasism and desire to follow them as eagerely as you did when you were younger which explains your apathy.

The change of voices wasn't ideal however on the whole they arn't any better or worse than the 4kids dub. It's more the initial shock factor which you just have overcome by watching more of the newer episodes. There are few voices I prefer on the 4kids version and a few I prefer from the newer version.

Brock and Misty have left. They'd been around for ages and as sidekicks they needed replacing to bring a new direction to the show as well as new material for the writers to work with it.

Quote:
i hope I didnt offend any of the younger pokemon fans on here but I just wanted to state my opinion.
Of course not, as long as you don't get offended by any people disagreeing with you.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmvnX...eature=related

Last edited by yossarian; September 30th, 2010 at 03:38 AM.
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Vulpes bicaudata
Charmander Fanboy

Ahhh, the original series. I just started watching the series from the beginning, meaning I'm seeing some I saw as a kid, and some I didn't.

As I've been watching, I've been riffing on it whenever I can think of something. A few of my favorites:

EP009:
(Joe asks Giselle if he can keep her picture)
Me: [as Joe] I use it to... never mind.

EP011:
(The log cabin Pokémon Center is shown)
Me: Oh, it's the Pokémon Center Lincoln was born in.

EP058:
(Ash and co. find the entrance to Blaine's gym)
Ash: It's a door!
Me: Well spotted!
Old October 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
robby2twes
Beginning Trainer

You know what's messed up? How pokemon messed up the whole series tradition. Don't you know the first episode of just about every pokemon season (except for Orange League). That pikachu would be overloaded with electricity and turn the female character's bike to a crisp. Well in pokemon best wishes they didn't do it. However in my opinion they should've kept brock. And just to think that at least 2 or 3 of the 8 badges ash got, were given (as never really earned it.) Let's review Boulder Badge, Brock gave that badge to ash even though pikachu's electricity had setted the sprinklers off on Onix. Cascade Badge, the only reason misty's sister gave the badge to ash was he helped saved the gym from team rocket. Soul Badge, ash didn't earn it through hard work. Technically Haunter earned for making Sabrina laugh for the first time. But her dad gave her the badge which is supposed to be the gym leaders job. Rainbow Badge ash didn't earn it only thing he did was save gloom from the burning gym. Earth Badge, team rocket took giovanni's place while he was gone with that shadowish pokemon(mewtwo). But it was unfair cause ash had it easy while gary had to face mewtwo. ash beat the pokemon giovanni gave to team rocket. The orange league second episode when ash was about to send out charizard misty and tracy said no.(error) tracy never knew ash had a charizard. And another thing Ash's age never was revealed and y don't you ever see ash's voice get deeper. So many errors to be fixed. correct me if i'm wrong. In pokemon dp galactic battle in the twinleaf contest. brock helped out at one of the stands. notice how a human is suppose to have 5 fingers on each hand, the artist accidently gave him 6 fingers on one of his hands.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:41 PM
♠Dawn Rayne♠
Best in the world at what I do

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to ♠Dawn Rayne♠
^ I just recently re-started from the beginning to watch them all up the the current. I am only at "Here Comes The Squirtle Squad" now...

I actually noticed during "Bulbasaur and The Hidden Village" that Meowth had a bandage where his... part should be lol, was he neutered or what?
I've seen it all, I was here first..

Old December 11th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Pokemonguy1990
Pokemon Shoto Saga Creator

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to Pokemonguy1990
Just realized something while re watching old Kanto Pokemon.

Ep. 49 so far yet so farfetch'd Jessie has 2 pokemon, arbok and lickitung
HOWEVER, lickitung isn't caught until episode 52 princess vs. princess
Leader of Cyndiquil Productions Hack Team

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here