The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old October 1st, 2010, 08:42 AM
~Teh Panda~
Sea of Dreams - Redux

Advertise here
Here I will post in a simple layout a list of tutorials aimed at beginning hackers.

Tutorials

Getting started

Scripting Tutorials

• Link - DiegoIsAwesome's XSE Scripting tutorial. Very beginner friendly
  • Link - Old school scripting method but still somewhat beginner. By Foullump
  • Link - XSE tutorial by Raikou-kun.

Mapping Tutorials

• Link - Haefele's AMap mapping naturally tutorial.
  • Link - Link's mapping tutorial.
  • Link - Neti's mapping tutorial, very simple and starts off a lot of great mappers.
  • Link - Ray's mapping 'secrets'.
  • Link - Block editing in Amap.

Graphics Tutorials

• Link - 240/256 color titlescreen tutorial.
  • Link - tile inserting the 'easy' way.
  • Link - Guide to adding DPP sprites to GBA roms...
  • Link - Worldmap hacking, a bit more advanced.

Others will be added at another, stick with these basics to get started though...

Last edited by ~Teh Panda~; October 1st, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:07 PM
kringlur
Velkominn í heim POKéMON!

Nature: Hasty
I'm not sure if this counts, but I made a compilation file with as much of the data for RBG (and a bit of Y) that I could find, plus tutorials on how to edit some of the things in there, to try and make a giant "here's how to edit RBG" file.

Edited on 6th March 2011: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZQ8I1POF

Last edited by kringlur; March 6th, 2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: updated file
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
HERE
Is a good tutorial to add for beginners.

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old November 25th, 2011, 02:55 AM
The Void
Comforter, philosopher, and lifelong mate

Nature: Calm
And once you've read Full Metal's tutorial, why not add this? XD
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:14 AM
ShadowGrey
Graphix Master

Nature: Relaxed
Hey guys, you might recognize me from about the place. I'm not really sure where to go with this question so with the hopes of someone here directing me to somewhere useful I shall ask it anyway. I have read at least a dozen tutorials on inserting Fakemon/ new sprites etc. and i'm pretty much as clued in as anyone, but I have a problem, My sprites just won't write to the rom. Any help/directions to someone with indepth knowledge of unZL.gba would be incredibly helpful. And just before everyone starts suggesting stuff I already know about heres where I stand:
I know sprites must be 64x64 pixels,
I know sprites need to be indexed and I know how,
I know that if the new data is too large you need to use free space finder to get an offset when inserting.
In a nutshell the problem is this, the sprites will open fine in unLZ.gba (not an indexing problem), I have no problems whatsoever importing palletes. It is just that when I click write to rom (having added what should be the new images offset and selecting the boxes 'repoint' and 'auto-abort') nothing happens, the write to rom box closes as if it has worked, but no re-pointing boxes pop up, just.. nothing happens, as if i never clicked write to rom at all.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=267674
Old March 30th, 2012, 07:08 AM
zarrion90

can one of you message me how to make a thread.
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:15 AM
IsDaJiAyPiLu
Beginning Trainer

Is there a program to make custom abilities? I haven't found one yet online...
Old October 8th, 2012, 02:48 PM
AquaticFlareon
Unhatched Egg

I'm currently hacking my first romhack, a pokemon ruby hack, and I Am trying to edit the back in-battle sprite for my character, but whenever i do, it just becomes a horrid, messy, bad pallete, also, i use unLZGBA, and Paint.net for the recoloring, also, I Only use colors from the actual sprite, with the dropper tool. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?!?!?!!?!?!?!?! I Can't find anything for RUBY, But theres tons of programs for fire red, I'm hacking ruby, SO SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 24th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Alaka-Z
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quiet
May I ask a noob/newb question? I'm interested in the idea of hacking my FireRed to make it even better and revamped, but I have two concerns:
1) Legality Issues-Nintendo dislike use of all ROMs/emulators but its not like I'll distribute or steal profit from hacking.
2)Can I put the result of editing the game back onto my actual FireRed cartridge? I don't want to buy a flashcart, nor do I wish to resorting to playing FireRed on PC. I mean, if Pokesav edits the save on cartridges, could I do the same with hacking? I doubt it, cuz real carts don't have a cable slot
Also, don't flashcarts look dodgy like in public etc?
Old March 15th, 2013, 12:32 PM
APPLESAUCE_BOSS
Unhatched Egg

how do i change the starters in a game i would like to hack emerald and change the staerters i know absoulutly nothing about coding or hacking so is there a easy why to chagne stuff with out coding and stuff i just want to change starters and possibly add more legenderys to catch
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:43 PM
PKMNMasterSonic
King Sonic

Nature: Naughty
Could someone e-mail me a link to download a GBA ROM creator that's free for life?
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:34 AM
LW_Ripper
Unhatched Egg

Hey all, I'm new to hacking and was wondering if someone could add me on skype (evilmoat6) and go through it with me, I kind of understand the basics and i have advance map and poketscript
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Prinnykaze
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Jolly
Hello, i want to pose a question about the lack of emerald tutorials and i was wondering if somebody can fix that.
also, does anyone know how to script the legendary battles in emerald? cause the tutorials at the top mainly help FR and LG (and some R and S, barely any E) and don't really help.
i understand the basics of it, its just the coding from the game that i do not know. anyone willing to help? ^.^
Old June 15th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Patrick Symus
Leader of Team Swarm

I don't really know where to post this, but I was wondering if there was anyone who could add me on Skype and teach me how to sprite (Recolor, splice, and make actual new pokemon). I have to do it on a free program, because I have no money to use on programs (I have GIMP and paint.net already). If you can help me, I thank you. Is there anyone who can help me learn how to sprite?
~Patrick Symus
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Synchronous
Lying is my forte, you know?
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Synchronous
This might be a good thread for beginning hackers to start developing tools.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 01:04 AM
Anonymous Gamer
I live for PokEmon

Nature: Lonely
So.umm. I downloaded some hacking tools and I cant open some of them. Namely Advanced Text,Advanced Mart,Poketronic,TrPET and AdvanceWild. I tried running them as administrators but they still wont open. It says" Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.
What should I do?
Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:31 AM
Yfycyc

Hi..
I was wondering if there was a website to make ROMS without having to download any. I really want to make a FireRed hack, and I don't know what website to use. Any help?
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:00 AM
JordanB500
Former Pokemon League Champion

Nature: Gentle
lol for everyone that is asking for a place to get roms i have a few things to tell ya first of all you should know that downloading roms is illegal unless you have the actual games themselves and remember google is your friend and also if your missing files go online and search the filename and download and copy the files into your c/windows/system and /system32 and u should be good to go also you should have a good amount of knowledge about hacking at all before you change anything with a rom and always remember to backup your files just in case

Old April 8th, 2014, 06:23 PM
sadoldporygon

ugh i am pretty sure this isn't the place to try to respond to...

I need to know where the section to seek for help is, I need help or a tutorial to help me fix a "white screen of death" that is reoccurring in my FireRed Rom Hack as soon as I open it. If anyone can redirect me to post a help thread, that would be nice (as this stickied thread looked like the closest to a help thread). Thank you in advance.
Old April 9th, 2014, 01:17 AM
Christos
Project Shinx

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to Christos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadoldporygon View Post
ugh i am pretty sure this isn't the place to try to respond to...

I need to know where the section to seek for help is, I need help or a tutorial to help me fix a "white screen of death" that is reoccurring in my FireRed Rom Hack as soon as I open it. If anyone can redirect me to post a help thread, that would be nice (as this stickied thread looked like the closest to a help thread). Thank you in advance.
Tutorials is a sub-section of Emulation and ROM Hacking, which is where you can ask for help. You can post in either the Simple Questions thread or the Script Help thread, depending on your problem, they're both stickied. It's a good idea to search before asking, though.
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:03 PM
JabuJabule

Are there any guides on how to make a trainer, put it into the game and make it battle-able? I've looked everywhere, and yet there are no tutorials.

Old May 14th, 2014, 01:34 PM
HidoranBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabuJabule View Post
Are there any guides on how to make a trainer, put it into the game and make it battle-able? I've looked everywhere, and yet there are no tutorials.
It's not that hard to make a trainer. Just get a Trainer Editor (The one in G3T is good, Jambo51's Trainer Editor works too), make a trainer battle, get the trainer id, and look at diegoisawesome's xse tutorial, where he explains trainer battles.
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:59 PM
JabuJabule

Quote:
Originally Posted by HidoranBlaze View Post
It's not that hard to make a trainer. Just get a Trainer Editor (The one in G3T is good, Jambo51's Trainer Editor works too), make a trainer battle, get the trainer id, and look at diegoisawesome's xse tutorial, where he explains trainer battles.
That's not what I was asking. There should be a go-to tutorial for people to follow so people can easily make a battle. Not everyone reads every post like this one, and thus would be asking the same question as me.

Old May 14th, 2014, 02:12 PM
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabuJabule View Post
That's not what I was asking. There should be a go-to tutorial for people to follow so people can easily make a battle. Not everyone reads every post like this one, and thus would be asking the same question as me.
Diego goes over how to make a trainer in detail. If someone wanted to know how to make one, the tutorial would literally just be a retread of Diego's piece with an added in "Use a trainer editor". It just takes the smallest bit of effort on the user's side to go to the tutorial/tools area and look around, because there isn't much more to it than that.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here