• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

PEDRO12's Everything Tutorial

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
OK guys, here i will explain everything I currently know about hacking. I will explain according to the following "Contents List" which will also be ubdated everytime I add something to the tutorial:

1- Mapping
2- Movement Permissions
3- Wild Pokemon Editting
4- Tile Inserting
5- OW Editting
6- Inserting New Pokemon
7- Inserting New People Sprites
8- Advance Map Events
9- Scripting (Beginner's Scripting to Advanced Scripting)
10- Header Stuff (recommended by Orinjmate)
11- POC and Movement Editor Tutorial

Here are the tools I will use for this tutorial:

1-Advance Map
2-XSE (extreme script editor)
3-MS Paint
4-Infran View
5-NSE
6-UNLZ GBA
7-FSF
8-Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor
9-A-Trainer

CLICKHERE to download my toolbox with all the above tools except of course MS Paint.

PART 1 : MAPPING

Spoiler:

PART 2 : MOVEMENT PERMISSIONS

Spoiler:

PART 3 : WILD POKEMON EDITTING

Spoiler:

PART 4 : TILE INSERTING

Spoiler:

PART 5 : OW INSERTING

Spoiler:

PART 6 : INSERTING NEW POKEMON

Spoiler:

PART 7 : INSERTING NEW PEOPLE SPRITES

Spoiler:

PART 8 : ADVANCE MAP EVENTS

Spoiler:

PART 9 : SCRIPTING

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
Years
This tutorial will be VERY useful for beginners. May i suggest that you add a section for editing the header tab in Advance Map, like how to change the name of each map and the weather and how dark it is if it is a cave etc.
EDIT: maybe how to edit the titlescreen aswell. Oh and you should include APE (Advanced Palette Editor), YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor) and NTME (Nameless Tilemap Editor) in your toolbox. I find these tools I just said very useful.

Echidna

Years
OK i'm not home right now but I'll add the tools to the toolbox as soon as possible, oh and i'll add that header section too, but editing the title screen has caused lots of probs for me so i won't add that, and i might add a YAPE tutorial.

OH and thanks a lot for the advice and suggestions, REALLY APPRECIATED, More Suggestions people.
OH and sorry for the double post, i hate editing older posts.

Last edited:

Echidna

Years
hey guys if you read this and find anything wrong please telm me here, i'll check the thread regularly cause i don't want to have mis taught you anything. K?????

ScripterGold

A rookie Scripter
Years
for some reason the rom wont load on the first step i even tried all of them please help
Actually, you should wait a little while. Advance map can take quite a long time to load and may tell you 'this programme is not responding' sometimes. Just have some patience. It can take up to 2 min on my computer so just wait when you load a rom, anime_god_person. Good luck with your hacking!

Echidna

Years
read the inserting new people sprites part up there.....i'm not sure if it works for the sprite when u choose it if not.....i'll give u the second method i know.......

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Thanks for this, I find it hard finding good tutorials on these things. Especially if you're making an actual game and not a hack.

I was going to try making a game from scratch....but I think I might attempt practising hacking first. Definitely need to take baby steps...or else I'll get overwhelmed quickly. :/

This is going to be like my bible for the next while. :p

Is there a quick keyboard combo for undo in Advance Map? I tried Ctrl + Z but it sends me to the event details instead....

edit: Also...do you have any tips for editing tiles? I want to put some houses on a rocky background but I can only find ones with grass....is there a way to take out just one file and edit it in advance map? :S I tried editing them in paint....but it's hard to get the dimensions right and I'm not sure if it's even the right way to do it....

edit: Oh, think I found the block editor...

I don't get how I'm supposed to edit scripts in advance map...it keeps telling me the script editor is not found....

Last edited:

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Great tut, but I had trouble with the tile inserting with new colors part. Every time I tried inserting the palette into A-map the colors always came out dark and icky, not what I wanted. Perhaps you should go into more detail on inserting the palette.

Echidna

Years
Great tut, but I had trouble with the tile inserting with new colors part. Every time I tried inserting the palette into A-map the colors always came out dark and icky, not what I wanted. Perhaps you should go into more detail on inserting the palette.

sorry about that....that's kinda a bug in advance map......try downloading the newest version 1.92 from the toolbox forum...if that doesn't work...try other veresions......and if that doesn't work...the probs with u'r palette....its either more than 16 colors.....or less and the palette has filled in the empty places in it....... to make the number of colors 16...... with dark and icky colors...try using exactly 16 colors...use different shades and that should work...anyways...i get that prob a lot in tile inserting thats why i stopped inserting....it gets complicated after a while...i suggest u ask Anbuja's_BlooDY about that...he's an expert...........

Thanks for this, I find it hard finding good tutorials on these things. Especially if you're making an actual game and not a hack.

I was going to try making a game from scratch....but I think I might attempt practising hacking first. Definitely need to take baby steps...or else I'll get overwhelmed quickly. :/

This is going to be like my bible for the next while. :p

Is there a quick keyboard combo for undo in Advance Map? I tried Ctrl + Z but it sends me to the event details instead....

edit: Also...do you have any tips for editing tiles? I want to put some houses on a rocky background but I can only find ones with grass....is there a way to take out just one file and edit it in advance map? :S I tried editing them in paint....but it's hard to get the dimensions right and I'm not sure if it's even the right way to do it....

edit: Oh, think I found the block editor...

I don't get how I'm supposed to edit scripts in advance map...it keeps telling me the script editor is not found....

no undo in advance map...or at least not one i know of...
just fix what you did...it shouldn't be that hard......but try this....if u've chosen the "Backup my rom" option....go to the folder where the rom is...there should be a file with extension .bak ......change the extension to .gba and open it in advance map...and all changes u saved from lst time will be reversed.......

for the script editor editor prob......choose the second menu from the menu bar....i forgot its name......at the bottom it says "choose script editor"...hit that and browse for u're scripting porgram....most likeley XSE...and u'r done...anyways...i'd recommend u just use FSF to get new offsets and just make new scripts from scratch...its easier trust me........

u're other prob is easy.... in the block editor...choose any tile from the house on grass......a rectangle should appear with the house's block on one side...and grass on the other....hold control and right mouse button and scroll over the house tile in that rect.....then choose a black tile from the bottom of the tileset and click exactly where the block was in the rect. and hit save....on the tileset....the block should appear...do this over and over again the entire house appears on the tileset with black background.....now hit the tile of the cave floor......hold cntrl and right mouse button and scroll over the tile in the rectangle.......now choose eacj tile from the house with no background sperately...and next to the house's block in the rectangle...fill that with the cave floor...so now the rect. has the bloack of the house on the right...and cave floor on the left...and hit save and do this for every tile on the house....there u go....oh and if u don't have black tiles at the bottom of the tileset...in the enu bar....look for soemthing that means expand tileset in a way...and increase the number of tiles and hit ok...and there should be black tiules now....i'm an idiot at explaining anything to have to do with tiles....so this is the least complicated way i can do it....bu i promise next time i login...i'll send u a link to a video where i do all this and it should be easier......

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
sorry about that....that's kinda a bug in advance map......try downloading the newest version 1.92 from the toolbox forum...if that doesn't work...try other veresions......and if that doesn't work...the probs with u'r palette....its either more than 16 colors.....or less and the palette has filled in the empty places in it....... to make the number of colors 16...... with dark and icky colors...try using exactly 16 colors...use different shades and that should work...anyways...i get that prob a lot in tile inserting thats why i stopped inserting....it gets complicated after a while...i suggest u ask Anbuja's_BlooDY about that...he's an expert...........

I have already tried all of these things but still didn't have any success. Anyway, I've found another way that works for me so I'm fine with tile inserting now...:)

Years
Hey Pedro i have to say i love your tutorial its really helpful. I've had trouble with rom hacking in the past but i'm starting to get the hang of it. Anyways to the point is i'm trying to make a game using either fir red or ruby and after each chapter in the game I want the trainer to only have one pokemon when entering a new area. Such as after you get the first badges to get to the other half of the map, you have to go threw a toll in which you're only allowed one pokemon under a certain level. I was wondering if there were any scripting commands that would help me with such an event....any response would be of great help

Btw I looked at your variable commands and in Ruby there was a check pokemon special flag, do i need to combine those two?

Last edited:

Echidna

Years
ok to answer u'r first question.....yes...and no.....u can make him only go in with one pokemon but not under a certain level............and u are going to have trouble with that cause he can still take the pokemon out from the pc in the pokemon center in the next town there is no way to make him release his pokemon.........but u figure that out...the way to make a toll booth that only allows one pokemon is this
#dynamic 0x<FSF OFFSET>

#org @start
lock
bla bla bla(here make the guy look at the player)
countpokemon
compare 0x800D 0x1
if 0x0 goto @nopass
msgbox @goahead 0x6( make him say something like "u have only 1 pokemon...good pass!!")
release
end

#org @nopass
blablabla(here make the guy say u have too much pokemon and then make the player go one step back)
release
end

if you want to play around with it.....the 0x1 in the if command can be changed to the following conditions:
Lower Than (0x0)
Equals (0x1)
Greater Than (0x2)
Lower than or Equal to (0x3)
Greater than or Equal to (0x4)
Not exactly equal to (0x5)

Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2011
Hey, these are some amazing tutorials.
I'm new to hacking, as you may have guessed, as well as being new to this site. So forgive me if these questions are stupid or incredibly noobish, but, so it goes.
I followed your instructions exactly for inserting new sprites, but, especially with Ruby, when I try to insert a new palette on a Trainer sprite, it applies that palette to every other Trainer sprite. And I can't get it to stop doing that. Any tips?
Also, in Fire Red, which I tried after, to see if maybe the game was just acting up on me, I got the sprites in with their own palette, but when they loaded in-game, the background color showed up as a giant green block around the character. What gives?

Echidna

Years
ok....your ruby rom is fried...or your program....for the fired thing, while drawing the sprite...the first color u use has to be the background color...so color the background first...then draw the sprite.....that's why editting old sprites is full of problems and stuff....try drawing a new sprite and use the background color as the first color and there should be no backgroud...why???? cause the first color u use apears as the first coor in the palette....and the game knows that the color is transparent...if that doesn't work...try using photoshop other then paint...or gimp...and also use the first color be thre background color.....

oh and if that doesn't work...open the sprite in infran veiw......goto image----> decrease color dpth.....choose 16 then hit ok....now go to image ---> palette---> edit palette....and look for the background color...and switch that with the first color ij the palette...save it and try again........

Last edited:
Back