• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: [General] 5th Generation Pokémon Hacking/Information Consolidation

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
[JW] why exactly don't we just wait for the english ROM to be dumped? [would do so myself, if the game was available, had the money to buy it, and the equipment to do so with, but none of those are true, sadly DX] I mean, that saves us the trouble of having to re-do stuff when it comes out and all :P
PLUS we have to look at ugly CAPS ON EVERYTHING WE READ UNLESS NINTENDO DECIDED TO ADD THE LOWERCASE LETTERS. which means we also would have to add an entire set of characters...seems like a lot of trouble for little reward. idk, maybe it's just me :P

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I don't know much about 4th gen hacking, but I think once it's figured out how to map it, the 5th gen won't be too hard since it's also made of 3D models. I can imagine it will be as hard as hacking Super Mario 64, and I can't even begin to understand that!

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
No, not the translation. The text itself, it's apperance. It looks horrible compared to the 4th gen text. The letters are different size, whereas the 4th gen letters were the same size. A lower-case "I" is two pixels too short. It looks bad in other text.

We can fix that. If Nintendo doesn't do it first. =D

The text isn't that bad, though.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
pok.png

Where did you get that program? Because I'm searching in Google and it doesn't appear...

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2023
does anyone find where the pokedex entry data is (on the save, of course)

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2011
I'd love for there to be a sound test menu in BW. x_x

Also, a hell of a lot of things were left in B/W's code. They were apparently built off of HG/SS which were built off of D/P. How do I know? Key items. No, the actual key items.

To name a few, here's some beta data that shouldn't even be in B/W (if you hack to get these items they'll act as normal useless items; you can give them to Pokemon and toss them): Red Chain, Apricorn Basket, Rainbow Wing, Silver Wing, Blue Orb, Azure Flute, Enigma Stone, Jade Orb, Lunar Wing, Magma Stone, Red Orb... The list can go on actually.

It seems the developers preferred to just turn off code instead of removing it entirely. If we're lucky, that might mean that the code for Pokemon following you around is located somewhere in the code... Someone just needs to find it and activate it. That's just theoretical, though.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Even if such a thing was still in there, it wouldn't work with any Unova Pokémon. (maybeeee the ones who have overworld sprites for other purposes in-game like Zorua but that's a stretch that the game can just happen to grab these from the correct spot)

I don't believe they would copy such a massive chunk of code wholesale, either. I don't recall anyone finding remnants of the system in the game script so I don't see why a fully-functional system would be present in the code.

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2011
Hence why I said theoretical ;)

but yes, since the overworld sprites of 494+ would be unable to be present unless they already had overworld sprites, and Nintendo probably would have overwritten that code. Then again, it IS possible that the code itself wasn't so consuming to the game and they just disabled it, but that's not exactly too likely. Still, a guy can dream. :P

Who knows, maybe if enough people ask, the next game to come out (the alleged "grey/gray/chrome") will have a comeback with the overworld sprites. Highly doubt it though.

Off-topic aside, anyone figure out how the camera switches field of views yet?

Years
Hence why I said theoretical ;)

but yes, since the overworld sprites of 494+ would be unable to be present unless they already had overworld sprites, and Nintendo probably would have overwritten that code. Then again, it IS possible that the code itself wasn't so consuming to the game and they just disabled it, but that's not exactly too likely. Still, a guy can dream. :P

Who knows, maybe if enough people ask, the next game to come out (the alleged "grey/gray/chrome") will have a comeback with the overworld sprites. Highly doubt it though.

I don't think it would be too hard to add them...
If you can mess with the pointer data and use free space to add them, and then use the base from HG/SS and add it in the right location, it should work.
Never tried it, but I think I should.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Then you actually have to draw all 100+ of the things.

And what about the save file? Does that even have the neccessary data to hold the follower's co-ordinates like HG/SS?

Last edited:
Years
Utuber6061, the one who imported RSE music in B&W, was able to edit OWs, the players backsprite, the enemy trainers sprite and the Pokémon of the opponent.

Maybe we could ask him how he did it?

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2013
Is anyone working on a starter editor? (Or a wild Pokemon editor, I guess) Or is that too far off the map now?

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2011
Utuber6061, the one who imported RSE music in B&W, was able to edit OWs, the players backsprite, the enemy trainers sprite and the Pokémon of the opponent.

Maybe we could ask him how he did it?

That vid's a little old (and in weird quality for some odd reason), but nonetheless was pretty cool to watch. It made me wish for an RSE remake >.>;

But, everything there except the music was done in the video of the main character battling Leaf (the champion music was unused; he just somehow edited what music is used. Should ask him how he did that if nobody here knows o.o). utuber6061 made the RSE champion music (which IMO is pretty awesome), but like always won't say how he put it in with looping. Typical, isn't it? :P

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
It must. Or else the game wouldn't be able to save where you are in the game. It might not have the last moved direction, though. If all goes well, we could copy/paste the data since it is based off of HGSS.

The Save File in HGSS has seperate bytes for the Follower's co-ordinate, alongside the player's.

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2011
Hm, maybe a dedicated ASM programmer can dip into the code and see if he/she can see what makes the separate co-ordinates for the partner Pokémon? :P (just being optimistic; I don't expect this to happen any time soon)

Also, the guy who put Leaf into B/W also put Steven into HG/SS as a battleable character.

EDIT: Higher quality video with no narroration uploaded by the actual guy who made it, but lower level poké's with the normal Champion music :E

Last edited:

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
Years
Hm, maybe a dedicated ASM programmer can dip into the code and see if he/she can see what makes the separate co-ordinates for the partner Pokémon? :P (just being optimistic; I don't expect this to happen any time soon)

Also, the guy who put Leaf into B/W also put Steven into HG/SS as a battleable character.

EDIT: Higher quality video with no narroration uploaded by the actual guy who made it, but lower level poké´s with the normal Champion music :E

That is a HearGold hack. You can easily make this with DSPicPlat., PPRE and a music editor.

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2011

I'm pretty sure I know that's a HeartGold hack. I was just pointing out something cool, and in the process noting Leaf wasn't his first hack.

Also you can edit B/W's music as easy as you can edit HGSS' music, except with instruments more restricted because each track has its own SBNK and SWAR. :/

EDIT: Also, aren't loop points not editable or something?

Back