The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:12 PM
NikNaks

Nature: Jolly

Advertise here
Imagine playing a game set in the depths of Russia, with the memory of Communism still strong in the people's minds. Now imagine that the game is Pokémon and Team Unity is trying to change things back to the old regime. Welcome to Blood Star.

Plot
Team Unity are determined to bring back the "glory days" under the regime of old. Life is harder today for the common man, and they're going to do everything possible to fix it. If that means resurrecting their former leader, that's what they'll do. The worrying thing is that a lot of people sympathise with them. Do you?

You play as a young street urchin from the big city in central Kyosha. Your parents died when you were very young, and you've since been living in a local orphanage. One day, you're staring at graffiti on the orphanage wall when a kindly old man approaches you and introduces himself as the local professor. From there, your journey begins.

Features
PokéVariations
The region's diversity of different species of Pokémon is low, but instead, the normal ones have adapted to their surroundings.

In a Radioactive Area; Muk and Grimer that are green instead of purple, corrosive Magnemites that have obtained a poison typing, and so forth.

In a Snowy Area; Ursarings that have developed thick, snow-covered coats and are part Ice-type now. White Mightyenas, reminiscent of wolves.

Quest & Karma System
Are you going to help that little girl find her Skitty? Or will you spit in her face instead? You'll have numerous opportunities to earn plaudits, money or even a special reward, and every action has an impact on your karma. This will affect how people talk to you, and what future opportunities come your way.

DS Style 3D
Using Unity 3D, we're able to emulate the DS style of "2.5D" graphics, with sprites placed in a 3D environment. We'll have screens before Christmas.

Intuitive Interface
With the expanded screen space provided by Unity, we'll have a permanent interface that'll show active quests, status ailments and various other things without even needing to bring up the menu.

Graphics:

Preliminary region map
I've taken some liberties with geography, as ever, but 8 represents Moscow, 2 is St Petersburg, B is Kiev

Team Unity logo
It's meant to be a stylised Pokéball based on the old hammer & sickle

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to post them at our forum (linked in my signature), post here in this thread, or contact me via PM. Equally, if you want to join the team, join the forum and contact me there, or PM me here.

Last edited by NikNaks; December 16th, 2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:05 AM
NikNaks

Does anyone have any comments? D:
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:23 AM
pieguy259
Beginning Trainer

It's a pretty cool concept; I'd play it. Is there a gym structure like in other games?
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I apologize, I planned to post soon after approving it but got caught up in some other tasks. I'll try to remember what I wanted to say at the time though.

First of all, I do find it odd to base a region in a Pokemon game one-to-one off of an actual location in Eastern Europe. My Russian geography is a little rusty (i.e., nonexistent), so I can't really judge on that front. I do agree that the idea of using the visual style of Russian locales would be a very interesting idea. I have seen various photos and the like of places in Russia in different periods and like you said it's a very diverse area that could make for some very interesting places to explore.

How would normal game mechanics work in this setting though? Would the gyms be set up like in a typical Pokemon region or would the region still be recovering and have a far less formal 'league' in place? Does the region have the same quality of health care that other regions display in Pokemon Centers? What else would set apart the setting from others?

On the whole however I really see the potential in this idea, and would enjoy watching it unfold.

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Java's Missingno.
The Electric Mayhem

Nature: Quiet
Aw man, you beat me to Russia. NikNaks, would you be interested in my programming help on such a project? I do 3d work mostly, but I'd really love to work on a Russian Pokemon game, and you seem to be ahead of me on that front(And with ideas that are turning up better than mine had, I might add).

Last edited by Java's Missingno.; November 12th, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old November 12th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Spikey-Eared Pichu
Pichu-pi!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Spikey-Eared Pichu
The idea seems interesting, but I do have some questions:

#1. How will you into this? I can see the main character being some new addition to Team Unity, or even a commoner who idolizes the Team at first, but then realizes their motives cover gruesome behavior.

#2. Gyms. Pretty basic question. How will they fit into this? Will the Leaders be associated with Team Unity, or will they lead some form of rebel union?

#3. Ancient long-gone Pokemon? Cliche, to say the least. If it's a Fakemon, even worse. Elaborate?

If you feel like battling, send me a message (: I do use hacked Pokemon and am not afraid to admit it. If you have an restriction (No DW Pokemon, no legendaries, etc.) I'd be happy to oblige by those rules.
Old November 13th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Birdybot
-insert witty phrase here-

It was the Bolsheviks who took over Russia, but later they changed their name to the Communist Party and I don't know if you want to make up a name for your pre-ruling communists. Also, St. Petersburg should change names a few times in the storyline, perhaps, like it did in the revolution? Also, back in the first revolution, the dramatic communist changes resulted in the deaths of about 5 million people due to famine, so perhaps you could include that sort of thing progressing as well as maybe a secret police?

Old November 13th, 2010, 01:12 PM
NikNaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieguy259 View Post
It's a pretty cool concept; I'd play it. Is there a gym structure like in other games?
I... I don't see why there wouldn't be. In fact, if you check the map, the cities marked 1 to 8 are where I imagined the gyms to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuoaman View Post
First of all, I do find it odd to base a region in a Pokemon game one-to-one off of an actual location in Eastern Europe. My Russian geography is a little rusty (i.e., nonexistent), so I can't really judge on that front. I do agree that the idea of using the visual style of Russian locales would be a very interesting idea. I have seen various photos and the like of places in Russia in different periods and like you said it's a very diverse area that could make for some very interesting places to explore.

How would normal game mechanics work in this setting though? Would the gyms be set up like in a typical Pokemon region or would the region still be recovering and have a far less formal 'league' in place? Does the region have the same quality of health care that other regions display in Pokemon Centers? What else would set apart the setting from others?
Oooh. OOOH. :3 I like those. That's good. I hadn't even thought about it, but actually, that's perfect. Gyms, I reckon, would probably be normal-ish, controlled by the richer people in most cases. Healthcare, however. According to one of the tour guides, healthcare is meant to be free in Russia, but really, it doesn't work that way. Maybe in some of the bigger cities, I could have Unity members controlling them. Forcing a payment. Yes. Anyway, you've gotten me thinking, so thanks!
Quote:
On the whole however I really see the potential in this idea, and would enjoy watching it unfold.
Thanks for the support!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey-Eared Pichu View Post
#1. How will you into this? I can see the main character being some new addition to Team Unity, or even a commoner who idolizes the Team at first, but then realizes their motives cover gruesome behavior.
I think the latter would make more sense, certainly.
Quote:
#2. Gyms. Pretty basic question. How will they fit into this? Will the Leaders be associated with Team Unity, or will they lead some form of rebel union?
Probably not associated at all, if I follow the rich-guys-run-the-gyms line, but maybe the poorer ones could be. It'd be a good way to get the leaders involved in the action.
Quote:
#3. Ancient long-gone Pokemon? Cliche, to say the least. If it's a Fakemon, even worse. Elaborate?
Long-gone? I wouldn't call 100 years *that* long-gone, especially if it's on display in some kind of museum like Lenin's body is. I'm not *really* sure what you want me to elaborate on. xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdybot View Post
It was the Bolsheviks who took over Russia, but later they changed their name to the Communist Party and I don't know if you want to make up a name for your pre-ruling communists. Also, St. Petersburg should change names a few times in the storyline, perhaps, like it did in the revolution? Also, back in the first revolution, the dramatic communist changes resulted in the deaths of about 5 million people due to famine, so perhaps you could include that sort of thing progressing as well as maybe a secret police?
Ah, I think you've missed the point a little. I'm hoping to emulate the situation in Russia now, not during the revolution itself. However, a pun on Bolsheviks might be an idea. Hm.

Thanks for the comments, guys! I appreciate hearing questions, as it often helps me generate some ideas.

Last edited by NikNaks; November 13th, 2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old November 13th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Heart's Soul
Hey, look, I was gone.

Try to add actual Russian. Нам нужно больше игр на Русском.

Yeah, I'm losing it already.
Old November 13th, 2010, 01:44 PM
NikNaks

xD Well, we may *need* more games in Russian, but that doesn't mean I'm able to provide them. Although, I'll be throwing in Cyrillic characters in completely incorrect and inappropriate places to compensate.
Old November 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Call the evil team the Pokécommunists.
The Pokéball logo thing is pretty clever and I can see the region working well. This has potential. :D
Old November 14th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Ravecat
I'm Right.

Nature: Careful
I like the Pokeball insignia. It's clever.

Maybe the Gym Leaders could be a reference to the Soviets used during the revolution?
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:23 PM
koby1
The M4's Best Freind

Nature: Hasty
Seems like a great idea. Even though I can't have a mental image of how it would be. Here's and idea from me though include western Russia( Part west of the European border). This has caught my attention though, will look for updates if the idea does go through

Currently beta testing:
Pokemon Uranium ( And Loving it! )
Old November 14th, 2010, 05:21 PM
MasterSceptile
Pokémon Master/Glitch Hunter

Pokémon? Soviets? What do ya know? My favorite game meets my favorite history topic! I shall be following this project closely and, when the time comes, I will be wearing a support banner in my signature proudly. As for the plot, I completely agree with the above, with the player being pro-revolutionary at the start, but turning against them when they find out the extent they're willing to go.

I will be watching closely, comrade.
Very closely. *subscribes*

MasterSceptile

Old November 14th, 2010, 05:29 PM
JakeyBoy
Riddle me this

Nature: Naughty
If towards the end of the story you have to infiltrate a makeshift gulag with the leaders, I will be happy. Gotta admit, I like the idea, even if I know very little about Russian history.

Spoiler:
Call the rival Fetiukov
also, I am the man who arranges the balls
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:34 AM
NikNaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
Call the evil team the Pokécommunists.
The Pokéball logo thing is pretty clever and I can see the region working well. This has potential. :D
I... I like that. xD It's like a pun on a pun. Awesome. :3 And, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravecat View Post
I like the Pokeball insignia. It's clever.

Maybe the Gym Leaders could be a reference to the Soviets used during the revolution?
Haha, thanks! : D I'm not really sure what you mean, though, about the leaders. Could you elaborate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by koby1 View Post
Seems like a great idea. Even though I can't have a mental image of how it would be. Here's and idea from me though include western Russia( Part west of the European border). This has caught my attention though, will look for updates if the idea does go through
Compare:
Spoiler:

If you mentally draw a box from the Gulf of Finland down to the Black Sea, and from the Baltic across to the right edge, you might be able to see where I've based it on. Maybe. Ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterSceptile View Post
Pokémon? Soviets? What do ya know? My favorite game meets my favorite history topic! I shall be following this project closely and, when the time comes, I will be wearing a support banner in my signature proudly. As for the plot, I completely agree with the above, with the player being pro-revolutionary at the start, but turning against them when they find out the extent they're willing to go.

I will be watching closely, comrade.
Very closely. *subscribes*

MasterSceptile
Well, I'm glad to have your support. : D
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeyBoy View Post
If towards the end of the story you have to infiltrate a makeshift gulag with the leaders, I will be happy. Gotta admit, I like the idea, even if I know very little about Russian history.

Spoiler:
Call the rival Fetiukov
also, I am the man who arranges the balls
xD Gulags are going to have to make some kind of appearance. But, why does the rival have to be the guy everyone beats up? xD I haven't read DitLoID for a while, mind, but I'm pretty sure he's the weak one. xD

And erm. What? What balls? O.o

-----

So, everyone. Thank-you for all your interest! I'm still here if anyone wants to help out. If you're a novice, I don't mind, so long as you have patience, a good temperament and a sense of humour. Potential also helps. xD But, seriously. If this sounds, like, way cool, and you want to get into devving, contact me.

The game itself is looking like it may be made in Unity. What do you guys think about that? Do you think it'd be worth building from the ground up to get a more efficient, more detailed experience, or would you rather have it done in Essentials with its limitations? I'm not necessarily looking to be convinced, but I want to see what you think. Is all. Anyway, I'll try and make some shiny stuff. I've got some doodles I'll digitify. Stay tuned, people.
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:39 AM
JakeyBoy
Riddle me this

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
xD Gulags are going to have to make some kind of appearance. But, why does the rival have to be the guy everyone beats up? xD I haven't read DitLoID for a while, mind, but I'm pretty sure he's the weak one. xD
He was basically the polar opposite of Shukov - had no pride whatsoever, which gave me the idea.
...Of course my English teacher last year told me all this, but whatever =P. He would be more the rival that follows you about, mooching off your success, and stabbing you in the back when you appear to be losing. It was a joke, really, seeing as it was about the closest I've come to studying Russian history.

The ball thing was a reference to this.
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Ravecat
I'm Right.

Nature: Careful
By the leaders, I meant that during the revolution different Soviets were set up in different towns.

The Soviets could be represented by Gyms, where you can go in and challenge the leader.
Old November 15th, 2010, 06:45 PM
koby1
The M4's Best Freind

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
I... I like that. xD It's like a pun on a pun. Awesome. :3 And, thanks!

Haha, thanks! : D I'm not really sure what you mean, though, about the leaders. Could you elaborate?

Compare:
Spoiler:

If you mentally draw a box from the Gulf of Finland down to the Black Sea, and from the Baltic across to the right edge, you might be able to see where I've based it on. Maybe. Ish.

Well, I'm glad to have your support. : D

And erm. What? What balls? O.o

-----

So, everyone. Thank-you for all your interest! I'm still here if anyone wants to help out. If you're a novice, I don't mind, so long as you have patience, a good temperament and a sense of humour. Potential also helps. xD But, seriously. If this sounds, like, way cool, and you want to get into devving, contact me.

The game itself is looking like it may be made in Unity. What do you guys think about that? Do you think it'd be worth building from the ground up to get a more efficient, more detailed experience, or would you rather have it done in Essentials with its limitations? I'm not necessarily looking to be convinced, but I want to see what you think. Is all. Anyway, I'll try and make some shiny stuff. I've got some doodles I'll digitify. Stay tuned, people.
I see the mental image, hmm this is very interesting, it would be awesome if anyone could pull it off.

Currently beta testing:
Pokemon Uranium ( And Loving it! )
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:30 AM
PoKeNation2010
Beginning Trainer

Will this be multiplayer and online?
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter

I like the region, but I was just wondering, where'd the starter town be?
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Colbex
Cobalt Black Creator

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Colbex
You could also have the gym leaders represent allies and/or enemies of russia during the time... like, maybe a gym leader named Dwight. (as in Dwight Eisenhower), or Kai-Shek (as in Chinese/Taiwanese leader Chiang Kai-Shek)

o.o just a thought...

Old November 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM
NikNaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeyBoy View Post
He was basically the polar opposite of Shukov - had no pride whatsoever, which gave me the idea.
...Of course my English teacher last year told me all this, but whatever =P. He would be more the rival that follows you about, mooching off your success, and stabbing you in the back when you appear to be losing. It was a joke, really, seeing as it was about the closest I've come to studying Russian history.

The ball thing was a reference to this.
Well, that might work actually. I might Anglicize it a bit, though.

And I'll have you know that I've had that going round in my head for two days. xD I am the man who arrrrranges the blocks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravecat View Post
By the leaders, I meant that during the revolution different Soviets were set up in different towns.

The Soviets could be represented by Gyms, where you can go in and challenge the leader.
Oh, alright. That's pretty neat, actually. I might work with that. :3
Quote:
Originally Posted by koby1 View Post
I see the mental image, hmm this is very interesting, it would be awesome if anyone could pull it off.
Thanks! :3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoKeNation2010 View Post
Will this be multiplayer and online?
Um. Probably not. O.o
Quote:
Originally Posted by elarmasecreta View Post
I like the region, but I was just wondering, where'd the starter town be?
Eight. Follow the route numbers to see how I imagined it working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbex View Post
You could also have the gym leaders represent allies and/or enemies of russia during the time... like, maybe a gym leader named Dwight. (as in Dwight Eisenhower), or Kai-Shek (as in Chinese/Taiwanese leader Chiang Kai-Shek)

o.o just a thought...
Hm, that might work. Again, I'll definitely consider it.

----

Nothing on Unity? I'll assume that because no-one's moaned, everyone's happy with the idea. xD
Old November 19th, 2010, 02:49 PM
dinosaurodon
RAWR

Nature: Bashful
I like the idea, I like it alot. Maybe the ancient pokemon could be be based on atomic energy(atom bomb) and its counterpart (if there will be one) based on hydrogen energy(hydrogen bomb), I mean it's Russia.
- just a thought on the subject =3

Last edited by dinosaurodon; November 19th, 2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old November 19th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Pokeman298
Life knows not right nor wrong

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaurodon View Post
I like the idea, I like it alot. Maybe the ancient pokemon could be be based on atomic energy(atom bomb) and its counterpart (if there will be one) based on hydrogen energy(hydrogen bomb), just a thought on the subject.
a better name would be the hydro bomb, but that is a great idea

if you want to see my game, go here:http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=228473

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here