Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Featured | Spinoffs

Old November 8th, 2010 (06:58 AM).
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Rucario:
I saw the B/W sprites and I've noticed that they look kind of... pixelated for some reason.
In-battle animations are mainly done through the use of automatically rotating and distorting individual segments of the sprite via the DS hardware, causing a breaking effect where the outlines becomes jumpy due to the transformations done to the sprite. The backsprites are now drawn at exactly the same size as the front sprites and often zoomed in on during battle, creating a blown up effect.
Old November 10th, 2010 (04:44 PM).
eeeeyup

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Thorns:
Gloom Sprite Discussion:
Red/Blue:
- Not a good sprite at all. The sprite is missing an orange hair-like petal. The flower on it's head also seems a little small and flat. The limited color palette didn't help Gloom at all as the colors aren't at all part of Gloom's official colors. The worst feature on this sprite is the white lips as it makes it look like the drool is all over it's lips and not just dripping from them. The facial expression seems a little overboard. The legs seem a little small. Finally, the pollen is an unnessicary addition to the sprite.

Yellow:
- Very good sprite for Gloom. Though the main problem is the red hue, the whole sprite seems accurate and precise. All body parts are in perfect size, and none are missing either. The facial expression seems completely normal for a Gloom. They didn't use any pollen effects which is a definite plus.

8/10

Red/Green:
- Worst sprite for Gloom. Not only is every possible feature of Gloom either too slim or small. It seems like the resized the R/Band made it taller and skinnier, most importantly it's flower, body and it's hair-like petals. They even overdid the pollen effect MORE than before. Not to mention it's horrible color scheme. Basically it's a bad sprite.

Gold/Crystal:
- The colors of Gloom are very good for a limited palette. The colors go very well together and are close to that of Gloom's official colors. The lips also get an improvement, being seperate from it's actual drool. They brought back the pollen effect, which in my opinion, doesn't make the sprite better in any way. The arms and legs are in precise sizing. The only downside would be the fact that it's flower in petals look more as one body part when they should be two seperate parts. Overall, not bad for a sprite.

7/10

Silver:
- Not a very good sprite in terms of positioning. The fact that it looks like it's falling makes it look silly since Gloom's flower shouldn't even be heavy. Besides that, everything else is exactly like the Gold sprite.

6/10

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald:
- Being Gloom's first sprite with an unlimited palette, it didn't disappoint at all. All the colors seem precise and the figure seems correct overall. The only thing I find odd about it is that Gloom's sticking up it's right foot. It's not so high that it looks like it's falling, but wierd enough for question. Nothing really special about it, which does make it somewhat dull.

6.5/10

FireRed/LeafGreen:
- Very excellent color palette, like it's evolution, Vileplume. The colors seem to be perfect for Gloom as all the colors seem to be darkened compared to it's previous sprite colors. We also get to see Gloom in a new pose that doesn't make it look foolish. What I like best is that Gloom's face looks somewhat three dimensional as it's in a comepletely new angle. Overall, my favorite.

8.5/10

Diamond/Pearl/Black/White:
- Overall, Gloom's expression brigns out the entire sprite. The colors, position and overall size proportions are very good. The hair-like petals seem a tad bit too long. Not bad, but not good.

6/10

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
- A very interesting angle of Gloom. With gloom looking up make sit seem more it's size. Everything seem about right, but also very dull like most of it's other sprites.

7/10
Oooh, I really like what she did with this, so I'll give it a try.
I'll just use one of my favorite 1st generation Pokemon: Ivysaur~

Red/Blue:
Well, this one looks rather... strange. O_o
First of all, its pose is pretty weird (especially since the Pokedex constantly states that Ivysaur is unable to stand on its hind legs), and with the limited colors of the Game Boy, its color scheme is VERY off.
But honestly, I think this sprite looks kinda cute. x3 It has a very frog-like appearance, too.

4/10

Yellow:
Ooh, nice improvement~
Now Ivysaur looks MUCH more like its actual appearance. :3
Everything seems spot on, really. Of course, the color scheme isn't perfect, but what do you expect from the Game Boy?

6/10

Red/Green:
Oh, god! What's this?! Sooo many things wrong here. XD
First of all, what's going on with its ears? They look too mouse-like, and give Ivysaur such a... weird look. :< Now look at its feet! They look... swollen. O_O Its nails are also very rounded, to the point that its feet look mutated. Then there's the plant on its back. It seems separated from its back. And speaking of its back, it looks very... smashed. xD

0/10 T_T

Gold/Silver:
OK, first of all, I never understood why Gold and Silver had different Pokemon sprites. :x ANYWAYS, since they look so alike, I'll just give them both the same rating. These sprites are like a REVOLUTION for the Ivysaur sprites. xD Now that there's better colors on the newer system, these sprites look more accurate. The only problem with these sprites, is that the leaves on its back aren't a darker shade than its body like usual.

7/10

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald:
Bleh, I don't really like this one...
Firstly, its expression gives it a really mean look (even though practically all Ivysaur sprites had a similar expression x3), and secondly... I HATE ITS POSE. Its back legs look really weird. All floppy lookin' and stuff. Definitely not the best Ivysaur sprite. =/

2/10

FireRed/LeafGreen:
Yay, one of my favorite Ivysaur sprites. Everything seems in perfect shape with this one. I honestly have nothing bad to say about it. :3

10/10

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum:
Eee, animated sprite~
Well, this one looks pretty good, really. The colors of its body changed a bit from its FR/LG sprite, but it doesn't look bad. One problem is that the plant on its back looks a bit... flat. The middle leaf seems pushed up against the bulb, and makes it look odd. =/ If it was hovering over its head like it usually does, then it'd look a bit better.

9/10

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
Nonononono, what happened to its skin? I never liked the bluish color on Bulbasaur, so this isn't any better. D: That's probably the only issue with this one... It's not HORRIBLE, but it isn't the best. =/

8.5/10
Black/White (inb4youcan'tseethewhite):
Hm, its skin color is still a bit bluish, but it's not as noticeable as the HG/SS sprite. :x I actually really like this sprite, to be honest. :3 Everything seems alright with it (just wish they'd make the middle leaf look more like it's hanging over its head X_X).

9/10

Btw, has anyone else noticed how Ivysaur's eyes were purple in the anime? Why couldn't they keep them like that? :<
Old November 10th, 2010 (04:54 PM).
Gold Tier

Well Sugimori's art has always depicted Ivysaur with red eyes, so presumably it was a change made by the animation studio for whatever reason.

(Interestingly enough, the Pokémon Dream World artwork depicts Ivysaur with purple eyes, so whether that was an artist's decision or they were working with anime production materials who knows.)
Old November 21st, 2010 (03:42 PM).
Resident Peacekeeper

Nature: Modest
I have noticed that in HG/SS, Charizard's sprite does it's Flamethrower through it's upper chest!
The place where I was born

Scars, she’s got her scars
Sometimes it starts to worry me
Cause lose, I don’t want to lose
Sight of who we are

From the mountains high
To the wave-crashed coast
There’s a way to find
Better days I know

It’s been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
This is still the place
That we all call home
Old November 21st, 2010 (08:13 PM).
Kalos Elite
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
That would be the move animation and has nothing to do with the sprite itself. But there are other sprites that make using moves look weird, like Platinum's Skuntank using Flamethrower. I don't even need to say anything more than that.

"I'm burning up with my hatred for you, runt!"

pair
Old November 23rd, 2010 (04:32 PM).
Ayselipera

Quote originally posted by ManhattanTheStarr:

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
Nonononono, what happened to its skin? I never liked the bluish color on Bulbasaur, so this isn't any better. D: That's probably the only issue with this one... It's not HORRIBLE, but it isn't the best. =/
I always loved the bluish skin tone more then the green. I think it makes the rest of the body stand out a bit more. Green against green is a little dull for me.

Quote originally posted by Reshiram Man:
I have noticed that in HG/SS, Charizard's sprite does it's Flamethrower through it's upper chest!
Yeah I think the move animation is always placed in the same spot no matter what. So on some Pokemon it lines up well while on others it can get a little weird. Case in point Skuntank as Sydian mentioned. Anyways I thought they might make the animation line up with each Pokemon correctly for Black and White, but after seeing some videos I guess not.
Old November 24th, 2010 (08:13 AM).
Majestic Dawn

Steelix Sprite Review:

Gold:

Is it standing on it's chin or what? The colors really compliment it, but the position really is it's downfall.

5.5/10

Silver:

- Much better position for a Steelix than the last one. Same witrh the colors, but a mich better sprite indeed.

8/10

Crystal:

- WHY did they reuse the Gold Sprite for Crystal? The colors have less power to them, and the animation overall is plain boring. They could of had it's spiked rocks spin like Rhydon's drill and have it chomp it's mouth. A pain to the eyes really.

3.5/10

Ruby/Sapphire/FireRed/LeafGreen:

- A somewhat good sprite of Steelix overall. Colors are good, but the positioning looks somewhat plain with it looking just to it's side. Not bad, but in need with a bit of improvement.

6/10

Emerald:

This sprite was saved by this animation. With it roaring and moving it's mouth, it makes it far less boring and gives Steelix much more of a ferocious nature to it's sprite. Very good.

8/10

More being added later!

Pokémon of the Day

Rotom
February 25, 2011
Old November 24th, 2010 (09:25 AM).
Kalos Elite
Super ModeratorCS

That Emerald animation is one of the better animations, I'll give it that. Doesn't surpass the Crystal animation though. I never had a problem with the positioning on the Gold and Silver sprites, I thought they were more unique than the others where he's standing up.

pair
Old November 26th, 2010 (01:20 PM).

Arcanine Sprite Review

Red/Blue

wuh wuh wtf is this? no no no 1/10

Yellow

ok a little better, weird position, colors are a bit bright but better then red/blue 3/10

Red/Green

ugh like red/blue but with an open mouth and its trotting *sigh* if i wasnt 4 when red/blue came out arcanine would not be my favorite pokemon 1/10

Gold/Silver

first one looks interesting but it looks fat sorta 4/10
Silver one was great imo fits arcanine well 6/10

Crystal

moving sprite alright. paw tail mouth wink..hair moves by itself? wut 5/10

Ruby/Sapphire

one of my favorites it just fits Arcanine and his personality and demeanor well. 8/10

Emerald

added animation to the R/S one and he looks dope i like it 8/10

FireRed/LeafGreen

small difference between this and R/S. smoother stripes and lighter stripes on the front two legs. i like the R/S more but this isnt bad 7/10

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Not bad, he/she looks fierce in this 7/10

Heartgold/SoulSilver

my favorite Arcanine sprite 10/10 he looks happy, like a leader in this Majestic in a way

Black/White

wtf happened to his face. it looks flattened. the colors changed, im diggin the darker orange and the cool stripe pattern but his face looks weird more feline then canine if you ask me, if they fix that in the third game or R/s remake id be so happy. besides the face its great
8/10
Old November 26th, 2010 (02:39 PM).
Ayselipera

Wow, I have to say Arcanine has had a pretty good sprite history. The only one I'm having problems with is its Black and White sprite. It looks too thin in my opinion. They took all the fluffiness out of its coat. :/ As for my favorite sprite I'm going to have to go with Red and Blue. I'm usually one for Yellow's sprites, but Arcanine is a little too bright orange for me in that particular one. Not to mention I love the facial features of the Red and Blue sprite too much to pick any other.
Old November 26th, 2010 (06:51 PM).
Kalos Elite
Super ModeratorCS

BW Arcanine looks like it was just groomed and they forgot to blow dry his fur, so it's in that awkward half wet half dry phase.

pair
Old November 26th, 2010 (07:06 PM).

Nature: Modest
you know at first i was like wat is that......but another look and the B/W arcanine looks cool....i cant explain it better but it looks like it evovle from a growlithe... a teenage arcanine idk...lol

**paired with your mom**
Old November 29th, 2010 (05:13 AM). Edited November 29th, 2010 by Isasapiens.
A pine tree...

Nature: Quiet
Now, for the chinchou:

Gold:

Chinchou looks like a balloon there. And a bit dark.

Silver:

Ok, changed the pose a little. But it still looks like a balloon.

Crystal:

Ok, when I told it was too dark, you didn't need to light up too much. Great animation, between.

Ruby/Sapphire/Firered/Leafgreen:

Now it's soaring... Or it's happy to see me? Or it wants to light up my life?

Emerald:

It seems that it likes dancing...

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum:

Finally the colors got corrected!

Heartgold/Soulsilver:

Ok, you look like you're almost falling there...

Black/White:

Say, did they got lazy with you? Chinchou: Not really, they just based on another sprite, though I'm different.
Old November 29th, 2010 (07:45 AM). Edited November 29th, 2010 by Meduza.
Majestic Dawn

Here is the transition from one of the cutest sprites to one of the worst.

So cute! Imma get some bird seeds for you!

-Leaves for five minutes-

-Comes back-

-Drops bird seeds in shock and gasps-

: O. WHO'S BEEN TEASING THE BIRD WHILE I'VE BEEN GONE?

Pokémon of the Day

Rotom
February 25, 2011
Old November 29th, 2010 (12:19 PM).
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Isasapiens:
Now, for the chinchou:
Black/White:

Say, did they got lazy with you?
That's a pretty heavily modified sprite, if it even uses the DP one as it's base.
Old November 30th, 2010 (12:37 AM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Okay, now it's Chansey's turn.

Red/Blue:

Wow this sprite makes Chansey look fat. And what is with that foot? I mean it just looks like a fat line, in fact when I was little I didn't know it was a foot.
2.5/10
Green:

Now Chansey looks fatter than before. I also hate the lines under its eyes and mouth. In total a awful sprite.
1.5/10
Yellow:

This sprite is really good. Its colours are really good for the first generation and you can tell the bar is a foot because it is the right size. And for the first time it is proportioned right.
7/10
Gold:

I Looooooove this sprite. It looks so cute, I like the colours, I like its pose and it will always be my favourite. All in all best sprite of all in my opinion.
10/10.
Silver:

Not as good as the Gold sprite but still very good. I like how it looks like it's going to give me a big hug.
8.5/10
Crystal:

I love this sprite! However not as much as the Gold one for one reason only. The sprite is too dark. However I love how it blows you a kiss. It looks adorable.
9.5/10
Ruby/Sapphire:

This sprite is just above average. I don't mind the pose but the colour makes it look more red than it should.
5.5/10
LeafGreen/FireRed:

This sprite is awesome. Just as good as the Crystal sprite. The colour is perfect and the pose is good however it is not as the Gold sprite.
9.5/10
Emerald:

Just like the R/S sprite and the jumping doesn't really add anything.
5.5/10
Diamond/Pearl:

I like this sprite, it says lets skip merrily through the meadow. It's a good colour to.
8/10
Platinum:

The sprite is all right, I guess. I do like the colouring.
6/10.
HeartGold/SoulSilver:

I like the pose of this sprite but the only problem is how bright the colours are. It would've been better is the outlines of its arms were black.
6/10
Black/White:

Quick somebody get me a bucket because this sprite looks awful. I hate the pose and I hate how dark its foot is. It also looks more round than it should.
3/10
Old November 30th, 2010 (08:03 AM).
Kalos Elite
Super ModeratorCS

Looking at all those made me realize how odd Chansey looks in general. I also find nothing wrong with the BW sprite. And about Chatot, I was very unhappy with what they did to it. I don't understand why they made it look evil for Pt/HGSS. Not a good idea.

pair
Old November 30th, 2010 (08:16 AM).
Majestic Dawn

Quote originally posted by Sydian:
Looking at all those made me realize how odd Chansey looks in general. I also find nothing wrong with the BW sprite. And about Chatot, I was very unhappy with what they did to it. I don't understand why they made it look evil for Pt/HGSS. Not a good idea.
I know. I would lirerally play Pokemon Diamond all over again just so I could see the cute sprite over the evil one.

I'm just glad in black and White, they go back to the cute one.

Pokémon of the Day

Rotom
February 25, 2011
Old November 30th, 2010 (10:34 PM).
peace and serenity

Nature: Quirky
I prefer Chansey's R/S/E sprite over FRLG because the one in FRLG had her head too big and angular. D;

Chatot was based on Sugimori's art, I guess the spriters really have the urge change those Sinnoh sprites from D/P to Platinum. Although most of the sprites have vastly improved, some sprites were better in D/P, such as Wurmple, Golbat, Buneary and Lopunny.

Old December 1st, 2010 (09:05 AM).
Kalos Elite
Super ModeratorCS

-cough- And Skuntank -cough-

DP:

Pt:

HGSS:

BW:

That PtHGSS pose. Why. Why. WHY. Why they do dis?! Glad they went back to the DP pose for BW's Skuntank sprite though.

pair
Old December 1st, 2010 (09:43 AM).
Shiny Collector

Nature: Lonely
Has anyone noticed that Ononokus' sprite has the exact same pose as Tyranitar's generation 3 sprite?

Old December 3rd, 2010 (12:16 AM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by Sydian:
-cough- And Skuntank -cough-

DP:

Pt:

HGSS:

BW:

That PtHGSS pose. Why. Why. WHY. Why they do dis?! Glad they went back to the DP pose for BW's Skuntank sprite though.
I know the PtHGSS pose looks like Skuntank is going to urinate.
Old December 6th, 2010 (05:48 PM).
just a guy
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote originally posted by vaporeon7:
Okay, now it's Chansey's turn.

Red/Blue:
Is it so bad to say that I'm actually fond of R/B's sprite of Chancey?

There's just something about it that turns my face into ":3" I don't even know. XD;

Quote:
Yellow:
I never actually played Yellow all too much, and when I did, I played it from my friend's game. So, I can't say I got so far to where I found a Chancey. Still, this is definitely one of Chancey's best in my opinion. Don't be surprised if I say I consider it the best.

Quote:
Diamond/Pearl:
I find the coloring in this sprite of Chancey to be the best. The pose is also similar to Yellow's which I found to look the best given it was different from the preceded positions it had since. It's not exactly a "wow" factor, but it is nice.

Just my two cents on it anyway.
Old December 6th, 2010 (06:41 PM).
Gold Tier

It is one of the better drawn sprites of the first generation.

Conversely Chansey is also much harder to **** up than other designs but they still managed it with her feet.
Old December 6th, 2010 (10:21 PM).
Kalos Elite
Super ModeratorCS

Quote:
It is one of the better drawn sprites of the first generation.

Conversely Chansey is also much harder to **** up than other designs but they still managed it with her feet.
Pretty much. And heck, you think that of all the things on Chansey, the feet would be the last things you screw up. I digress though.

Also...

DP:

Pt/HGSS:

BW:

All of these make me feel terribly uncomfortable.

pair
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)