The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:18 AM
Will94
Trainer Card Maker

Nature: Jolly
BobandBill you are amazing!!!
I have ruled Riley out of the story completely, unless I choose for him to make a cameo appearence or whatever. Anyway I have read alot of things about how the trainer got their starter Pokemon, and instead of the whole normal proffesor gives you the pokemon, I have another idea.

So the main character has had a Shinx for some time now (a few years maybe), and they have become close friends already, and completely trust one another. But the main character (I am thinking of calling Vox. What do you think??) has never really wanted to battle for gym badges or the elite four. He has battled the odd trainer and his Shinx is now a Luxio.

So the journey starts when Proffesor Rowan and Lucas are out in the field doing some research or something. Then they are attacked by distraught wild Starly (the reason for them being distraught will be explained later), and Lucas (who has only made a cameo appearence in the anime) fights with his very young Magby (nicknamed Mag), which puts up a good fight until the multiple Starly begin to use Quick Attack simultaneously, when Vox jumps into battle with his Luxio, and they fight off the Starly, who fly away scared.

That is what I have so far, and the battle is the first appearence of thus far named Vox. Then Rowan wants him to do stuff, gives him a Turtwig to help aid him, and sends him off on his journey!

What do you think??

Do you want a Trainer Card like this?
Do you just want a plain old Trainer Card?

Then visit Will94's Trainer Card Shop! Your one stop shop for all things Trainer Card!
Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:37 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine View Post
I was thinking last night, since this pokemon doesn't have a body, that it could use powers to possess others. I'm still working out why he wants revenge, I'm working out ideas. I might (keyword: might) also add a sub-plot where he tries to find his body. I'm not 100% sure on that one though.

I might not introduce this bad pokemon for the first chapter or two, that way I can spend a little extra time developing the region, explaining what happened in those 30-40 years, and character development. I'll have hints of his upcoming awakening/return, but not right away. I'm also going to explain why some regions are more high-tech, while others are still medieval-like.

I still not sure what roles the anime characters will play (if any), but I know they'll be mentioned here and there. If they do appear, I'll try to make it related to the story, and not where they just appear out of no where.

Also, in this story, instead of the characters being 10 and such, they'll be 14 (maybe 15). Don't worry, I'll explain why you have to be 14-15 instead of 10. I forgot to mention that in my original post.
Makes sense with waiting to introduce it (unless you wish to do a short prologue hinting at it to grab the reader's attention and make them wonder about it). Seems that you're developing the idea well thus far - good luck with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDonyer View Post
Not quite sure if this is exactly where something like this belongs, but I'll take a shot in the dark here.

Question for you all. What effects do you guys think a Pokemon's attack - specifically Confuse Ray from a weak Pokemon - would have on a human? How long do you think it would take the effects to wear off?

Yes, this is to help with a part of the plot of my current story. Help would be appreciated.
I personally would imagine that the effects would not be much different in terms of how long they last compared to how long they may last for a Pokemon. As for the effects...there's a lot of options with that I suppose - disorientation/dizziness, or unsure what they were trying to do... up to you and would probably depend on the situation as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmayaTakahashi View Post
Hey guys!!! Amaya here (But you can call me May, lol)

I'm working on a new FanFic (Prologue is up in fanfic section), But I need some help.

Plot Idea:
Takes place in an imaginary region called Morea
The main character's (Maria's) mom gets kidnapped, and her father dissapears. This takes place a week after one of her long-time childhood friends is kidnapped. She quickly deduces that Team Luna(ris( is optional, but is part of teams whole name)) has taken them because of their trademark "Lunar Beam" Beacon. (Kinda like the Dark Mark, lol. Didn't realise that until now!) She teams up with her friend Jonathan to go save Akira and her parents. But is that exactly what Team Luna had expected?
Well as it's a fanmade region be sure that it's well established to begin with, and I suppose some backstory on her parents' relationship with Maria and their 'Lunar Beam' as well would be something to establish - as well as why this Team Luna would want to steal it and all.

Would the police be/have been involved in looking as well? It would strike me as odd if nobody reported these disappearances.
Quote:
Anyway Maria doesn't like being a trainer, but in the Morea region every child has to have at least one year of experience. Her Eevee has become quite bonded to her, and saves her from danger more than once. Her Eevee has almost a psychic nature(hint-hint nudge-nudge on Eeveelution.). In the first chapter (which I have written, but not posted) she and her friend Jonathan are talking to Professor Willow and the radio comes on. But halfway through the announcement Team Luna pre-empts it and gives a threatening warning.
I do wonder why the region has such a rule considering I can't think of any obvious reason (after all every other region does not seem to have such a law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will94 View Post
BobandBill you are amazing!!!
I have ruled Riley out of the story completely, unless I choose for him to make a cameo appearence or whatever. Anyway I have read alot of things about how the trainer got their starter Pokemon, and instead of the whole normal proffesor gives you the pokemon, I have another idea.

So the main character has had a Shinx for some time now (a few years maybe), and they have become close friends already, and completely trust one another. But the main character (I am thinking of calling Vox. What do you think??) has never really wanted to battle for gym badges or the elite four. He has battled the odd trainer and his Shinx is now a Luxio.
Makes sense to me - certainly plausible to already have a Pokemon after all. (And the nickname seems fine to me).

Quote:
So the journey starts when Proffesor Rowan and Lucas are out in the field doing some research or something. Then they are attacked by distraught wild Starly (the reason for them being distraught will be explained later), and Lucas (who has only made a cameo appearence in the anime) fights with his very young Magby (nicknamed Mag), which puts up a good fight until the multiple Starly begin to use Quick Attack simultaneously, when Vox jumps into battle with his Luxio, and they fight off the Starly, who fly away scared.
I believe this is as per the D/P/Pt games in part (only the prof is also attacked instead of just the people who find the briefcase are attacked)... I guess also a mix of the RSE games with Birch being attacked. [/musing]

Quote:
That is what I have so far, and the battle is the first appearence of thus far named Vox. Then Rowan wants him to do stuff, gives him a Turtwig to help aid him, and sends him off on his journey!

What do you think??
Seems all right, although you may need to add a bit more as to why Rowan gives him the Turtwig (seeing he already has a Luxio) and what 'stuff' does Rowan want him to do as well (and along with that the motivation for the character to do said stuff.... for instance, Rowan wants some delieveries retrieved or the such making it a job so the character'll get paid for it?)

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:53 PM
Will94
Trainer Card Maker

Thanks so much.
I have started writing the first chapter, and Jason (the mian character, I am making Vox a mysterious Riley/Lance kinda character) has saved Lucas and the professor from the Starly. Anyway I have decided to use Lucas becuase he only appears as a cameo once in the anime, which is in the opening of Giratina and the Sky Warrior, where he is battling Brendan, and is shown to have a Magmortar.
I am playing with this by giving Lucas a Magby to begin with, then we may see it evolve.

Anyway so far I am thinking that Rowan gives Jason the Turtwig to help assist, like Oak gives Red the Bulbasaur in the manga when he already had a Poliwrath or one of its evos.

And yeah, I did base it off D/P/Pt opening, and gave it that tweak I learned was in R/S/E! I haven't played the game except for in school on a ROM a few months ago!!

And I really like the idea of Jason already having the Luxio, it just makes the story start off a little faster, and also I couldn't be bothered to write how they first met and everything, though I may do this at a later time.
Anyway, here is what I have of the first chapter so far, I'll put it in spoilers so I don't annoy anyone!

Spoiler:
001: Just My Luck-xio!
“Lucas! Hurry up ma’ boy!” Professor Rowan yelled out to his assistant, who was running along behind holding all sorts of charts and graphs in his arms. Every step he took he seemed to drop one of the large scrolls onto the ground, where he would stop, pick it up and continue running after the slowly walking professor.
“Ah, yes uh, I’m coming sir!” Lucas yelled back nervously. The two were travelling west across Route 201 from Sandgem town, heading towards Lake Verity.
It was still early morning, around ten o’clock, and the orange light of the rising sun reflected off of the morning dew, slowly dripping from the trees. The wispy clouds were bright pink, and the puddles of water along the trodden track reflected this pink colour.
Rowan and Lucas had been walking for little over an hour, and they expected to reach Lake Verity any minute now. The professor was very interested in Lake Verity, due to the rumour of the legendary Pokemon Mespirit taking refuge here, a rumour the professor believed to be true.
As planned, they arrived not a minute later, looking over a glistening blue lake, completely still but for the leaves dancing across the waters’ surface in the wind.
“Alright Lucas, we can set up here,” The professor calmly ordered, still looking out at the lake. Lucas placed the sheets of paper on the ground, and spread them out across the grass, shining with the morning dew. He placed a rock on each corner of the sheets so to keep them from blowing off in the breeze.
“Do you really think we could see one Professor?” Lucas asked excitedly.
“I am certain about nothing,” he replied, dampening Lucas’s sprit. “But I am certain that they do very much exist.” Lucas smiled, and stood up, too looking out at the mysteriously beautiful lake. “Magnificent, isn’t it!” Rowan spoke calmly. “All of Sinnoh, all of the world is beautiful, but what no one seems to ask, is how was it created.” Rowan now turned to Lucas and smiled.
“And, and you think that they had something to do with the world’s creation?” Lucas conveyed.
“A possibility we are here to research,” Rowan said, walking over to the maps spread over on the ground, viewing the charts. “Today Lucas, is the summer solstice,” Rowan started. “Do you know what that means?”
“Ah,” Lucas thought. “Yes sir! It is the day that the moon is closest to the Earth!” Lucas beamed excitedly.
“Correct, but not my correct answer. Today is also the day that the dimensions of the universe are closest together. And the walls of reality are at its weakest.” Lucas was shocked at the Professors theory, though he surprised Lucas regularly.
“Where Professor, did you learn that?” Lucas asked inquisitively. Rowan smiled and looked at him.
“You are not my first assistant Lucas, but you are my favourite,” Rowan smiled, before looking out at Lake Verity again. He admired the beauty, the calm, and the silence, which was soon broken as loud squawking sounds came from the sky above.
Rowan and Lucas looked above to see a flock of wild Starly diving beak first.
“Professor, look out!” Lucas called as he jumped into Rowan, pushing them both out of the way of the Starly’s attack.
“Starly attacking humans!” Rowan yelled distressed. “This is unheard of!” While Rowan hid behind Lucas, Lucas took a Pokeball from his belt and pressed the button enlarging it.
“Mag! Go!” Lucas threw the Pokeball, which span out at the Starly, hit the ground, opened and bounced back into Lucas’s hand. Where the ball had opened, there was a red light, which morphed into a Magby.
“Magby!” The baby Pokemon cried out.
“Alright Mag, use Ember!” Lucas yelled out to his Pokemon.
“Mag Mag!” Magby opened its’ mouth to reveal a small flickering flame, which then exploded out of it’s snout into the flock of Starly. Most of the bird Pokemon were burnt, and fled, but at least ten still remained. They charged at Magby, who began to panic.
“Magby! Smoke Screen now!” Lucas called out. Magby closed it’s eyes, and then a black plume of smoke erupted from its’ snout, covering Lucas, Rowan and itself. One of the charging Starly stopped and used its’ wings to blow the smoke away into the air, while the rest continued to charge.
‘Magby!” Magby cried in fear, as it closed its’ eyes waiting for the flock of wild Starly to attack. But before they could, a four-legged Pokemon jumped into the battlefield, and from its claws a zap of lightning shot out into the flock of Starly, which were electrocuted into fainting.
“What! What happened?” Lucas said, covering his eyes to protect them from the brightness of the lightning. He turned to see a tall, slim boy with messy brown hair, blue jacket, black shirt and knee length black trousers step out of the tree line.
“Good work Luxio!” The trainer called out to his Pokemon, beaming. One Starly managed to stand up straight again, and proceeded to squawk loudly at the trainer’s Luxio. “We’re not finished yet Luxio. Now! Use Spark!” The trainer threw his arm out in front of him, pointing his index finger at the Starly. His Luxio started to run forward towards the Starly, its claws beginning to create large sparks. As the Starly dived towards the electric Pokemon, the Luxio jumped upwards and expelled a vast amount of electricity from its’ entire body, creating a bright light which Lucas and Rowan had to look away from to shield their eyes.
The Starly’s eyes began to spin in its’ head, then it collapsed to the ground.
“Yeah! Great work Luxio!” The trainer called out to it’s Pokemon, which ran back up to its’ trainer and pounced up into his arms smiling.
“Well, uh, thankyou boy!” Rowan said to the trainer, a little surprised.
“No worries!” The trainer replied. “You were really lucky I was nearby otherwise you guys or your Magby could have been really badly hurt!”
“Mag, Magby,” Magby said from afar, lying on the ground.
“Magby, return!” Lucas said, pointing his Pokeball at the injured Pokemon, which turned into a red energy like light, and flew back into the Pokeball. “I’m Lucas, and this is Professor Rowan. We are scientists from Sandgem Town who have come to study Lake Verity.”
“Yeah, I know who you are. I’m Jason! I’m from Sandgem Town too!” The trainer said beaming. “And this is Luxio, he’s been my pal since I can remember.”
“Luxio!” The Luxio cried happily.
“Are you taking the Gym Challenge, son?” Rowan asked, scratching his white beard.
“No, I’m not,” Jason said looking at his feet. “Me an Luxio are just good pals, nothing else to it.”
“Really!” Rowan said, smiling in thought. “Well then Jason, I have a job you may be interested in, meet me in my laboratory this afternoon.”
“Sure thing!” Jason said, smiling. With that Rowan and Lucas, carrying the scrolls of paper, left Lake Verity and travelled back to Sandgem Town.

I am definately going to go back and fix it up a little, as it is kinda, well, weird. I also want to fix up a bit of the battle scene with some more details. What do you think??

Also the grammar is a little off, so I will go back and tidy that up too!

Then visit Will94's Trainer Card Shop! Your one stop shop for all things Trainer Card!

Last edited by Will94; November 23rd, 2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old November 24th, 2010, 04:20 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Quote:
Thanks so much.
I have started writing the first chapter, and Jason (the mian character, I am making Vox a mysterious Riley/Lance kinda character) has saved Lucas and the professor from the Starly. Anyway I have decided to use Lucas becuase he only appears as a cameo once in the anime, which is in the opening of Giratina and the Sky Warrior, where he is battling Brendan, and is shown to have a Magmortar.
I am playing with this by giving Lucas a Magby to begin with, then we may see it evolve.
Fair enough - makes sense to give him a Magby (I do not know the anime that much though so I would not know about what Pokemon he may have had in the anime...gam-wise he'd have a starter and a couple of others as well so if you need more you can always look into that).

Quote:
And I really like the idea of Jason already having the Luxio, it just makes the story start off a little faster, and also I couldn't be bothered to write how they first met and everything, though I may do this at a later time.
Anyway, here is what I have of the first chapter so far, I'll put it in spoilers so I don't annoy anyone!
Yeah, it's an acceptable thing to do as long as you handle it correctly. There's no need to explain how he first got it either unless you want to use it as backstory or the such.

Quote:
Spoiler:
001: Just My Luck-xio!
“Lucas! Hurry up ma’ boy!” Professor Rowan yelled out to his assistant, who was running along behind holding all sorts of charts and graphs in his arms. Every step he took he seemed to drop one of the large scrolls onto the ground, where he would stop, pick it up and continue running after the slowly walking professor.
“Ah, yes uh, I’m coming sir!” Lucas yelled back nervously. The two were travelling west across Route 201 from Sandgem town, heading towards Lake Verity.
It was still early morning, around ten o’clock, and the orange light of the rising sun reflected off of the morning dew, slowly dripping from the trees. The wispy clouds were bright pink, and the puddles of water along the trodden track reflected this pink colour.
Rowan and Lucas had been walking for little over an hour, and they expected to reach Lake Verity any minute now. The professor was very interested in Lake Verity, due to the rumour of the legendary Pokemon Mespirit taking refuge here, a rumour the professor believed to be true.
As planned, they arrived not a minute later, looking over a glistening blue lake, completely still but for the leaves dancing across the waters’ surface in the wind.
“Alright Lucas, we can set up here,” The professor calmly ordered, still looking out at the lake. Lucas placed the sheets of paper on the ground, and spread them out across the grass, shining with the morning dew. He placed a rock on each corner of the sheets so to keep them from blowing off in the breeze.
“Do you really think we could see one, Professor?” Lucas asked excitedly.
“I am certain about nothing,” he replied, dampening Lucas’s sprit. “But I am certain that they do very much exist.” Lucas smiled, and stood up, too looking out at the mysteriously beautiful lake. “Magnificent, isn’t it!” Rowan spoke calmly. “All of Sinnoh, all of the world is beautiful, but what no one seems to ask, is how was it created.” Rowan now turned to Lucas and smiled.
“And, and you think that they had something to do with the world’s creation?” Lucas conveyed.
“A possibility we are here to research,” Rowan said, walking over to the maps spread over on the ground, viewing the charts. “Today Lucas, is the summer solstice,” Rowan started. “Do you know what that means?”
“Ah,” Lucas thought. “Yes sir! It is the day that the moon is closest to the Earth!” Lucas beamed excitedly.
“Correct, but not my correct answer. Today is also the day that the dimensions of the universe are closest together. And the walls of reality are at its weakest.” Lucas was shocked at the Professors theory, though he surprised Lucas regularly.
“Where Professor, did you learn that?” Lucas asked inquisitively. Rowan smiled and looked at him.
“You are not my first assistant Lucas, but you are my favourite,” Rowan smiled, before looking out at Lake Verity again. He admired the beauty, the calm, and the silence, which was soon broken as loud squawking sounds came from the sky above.
Rowan and Lucas looked above to see a flock of wild Starly diving beak first.
“Professor, look out!” Lucas called as he jumped into Rowan, pushing them both out of the way of the Starly’s attack.
“Starly attacking humans!” Rowan yelled distressed. “This is unheard of!” While Rowan hid behind Lucas, Lucas took a Pokeball from his belt and pressed the button enlarging it.
“Mag! Go!” Lucas threw the Pokeball, which span out at the Starly, hit the ground, opened and bounced back into Lucas’s hand. Where the ball had opened, there was a red light, which morphed into a Magby.
“Magby!” The baby Pokemon cried out.
“Alright Mag, use Ember!” Lucas yelled out to his Pokemon.
“Mag Mag!” Magby opened its’ mouth to reveal a small flickering flame, which then exploded out of it’s snout into the flock of Starly. Most of the bird Pokemon were burnt, and fled, but at least ten still remained. They charged at Magby, who began to panic.
“Magby! Smoke Screen now!” Lucas called out. Magby closed it’s eyes, and then a black plume of smoke erupted from its’ snout, covering Lucas, Rowan and itself. One of the charging Starly stopped and used its’ wings to blow the smoke away into the air, while the rest continued to charge.
‘Magby!” Magby cried in fear, as it closed its’ eyes waiting for the flock of wild Starly to attack. But before they could, a four-legged Pokemon jumped into the battlefield, and from its claws a zap of lightning shot out into the flock of Starly, which were electrocuted into fainting.
“What! What happened?” Lucas said, covering his eyes to protect them from the brightness of the lightning. He turned to see a tall, slim boy with messy brown hair, blue jacket, black shirt and knee length black trousers step out of the tree line.
“Good work, Luxio!” The trainer called out to his Pokemon, beaming. One Starly managed to stand up straight again, and proceeded to squawk loudly at the trainer’s Luxio. “We’re not finished yet, Luxio. Now! Use Spark!” The trainer threw his arm out in front of him, pointing his index finger at the Starly. His Luxio started to run forward towards the Starly, its claws beginning to create large sparks. As the Starly dived towards the electric Pokemon, the Luxio jumped upwards and expelled a vast amount of electricity from its’ entire body, creating a bright light which Lucas and Rowan had to look away from to shield their eyes.
The Starly’s eyes began to spin in its’ head, then it collapsed to the ground.
“Yeah! Great work, Luxio!” The trainer called out to it’s Pokemon, which ran back up to its’ trainer and pounced up into his arms smiling.
“Well, uh, thankyou boy!” Rowan said to the trainer, a little surprised.
“No worries!” The trainer replied. “You were really lucky I was nearby otherwise you guys or your Magby could have been really badly hurt!”
“Mag, Magby,” Magby said from afar, lying on the ground.
“Magby, return!” Lucas said, pointing his Pokeball at the injured Pokemon, which turned into a red energy like light, and flew back into the Pokeball. “I’m Lucas, and this is Professor Rowan. We are scientists from Sandgem Town who have come to study Lake Verity.”
“Yeah, I know who you are. I’m Jason! I’m from Sandgem Town too!” The trainer said beaming. “And this is Luxio, he’s been my pal since I can remember.”
“Luxio!” The Luxio cried happily.
“Are you taking the Gym Challenge, son?” Rowan asked, scratching his white beard.
“No, I’m not,” Jason said looking at his feet. “Me an Luxio are just good pals, nothing else to it.”
“Really!” Rowan said, smiling in thought. “Well then Jason, I have a job you may be interested in, meet me in my laboratory this afternoon.”
“Sure thing!” Jason said, smiling. With that Rowan and Lucas, carrying the scrolls of paper, left Lake Verity and travelled back to Sandgem Town.

I am definately going to go back and fix it up a little, as it is kinda, well, weird. I also want to fix up a bit of the battle scene with some more details. What do you think??

Also the grammar is a little off, so I will go back and tidy that up too!
Well I bolded/underlined stuff that needs changing after a brief glance (e.g. it's to its in cases, or 'The' after dialogue should be 'the' as it flows on from the dialogue, hence it ought to be treated as a whole sentence with the dialogue rather than separate sentences), or adding in (e.g. commas before names). Overall it seems like a decent start, and editing would help it further too, IMO.

Old November 24th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Will94
Trainer Card Maker

Yeah, with the lower case/upper case after dialogue, I knew this was right,
"Don't blink. Blink and you're dead," the Doctor yelled.
But I wasn't sure about this,
"Don't blink! Blink and you're dead!" the Doctor yelled.
I got confused because of the exlamation mark, and I thought it would end the sentence, so thanks for that.
Otherwise I am really good with grammar, apart from the little stuff ups and typos I get from rushing and not paying attention!!!
Again, thank you so much!! I will write more and let you know what I am up to.

Old November 24th, 2010, 02:12 PM
AmayaTakahashi
Newbie Script Writer

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to AmayaTakahashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
Well as it's a fanmade region be sure that it's well established to begin with, and I suppose some backstory on her parents' relationship with Maria and their 'Lunar Beam' as well would be something to establish - as well as why this Team Luna would want to steal it and all.

Would the police be/have been involved in looking as well? It would strike me as odd if nobody reported these disappearances.
I do wonder why the region has such a rule considering I can't think of any obvious reason (after all every other region does not seem to have such a law.
Thanks for the help!!!!!! Actually, I guess I didn't make this clear enough ( lol my fault, no one elses. Looking back at it confuses me too.) but Team Luna uses "Lunar Beam" around a certain area after they commit a crime.

The police do get involved, but it's gonna be a power struggle thing like with team Rocket, other than the "Lunar Beam" beacon, they have no proof it was Team Luna. The move is open for circulation WAYYY before Team Luna started using it, but certain rare TM stores and certain Pokemon have the natural ability to learn it (i.e. Lunatone, Clefairy, etc). Also Team Luna's version is slightly altered to where it will be visible for a long time afterwards (As opposed to a few minutes), up to all night.

And as for the law concerning the training, almost everyone in the Morea region has a job concerned with Pokemon. It's kind of a mastery of the subject kind of thing. I might change it to where her father is "making" her train Pokemon for her own safety or something like that.

Thanks again!

Amaya

Old November 25th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hitoshizuku
something shining

Nature: Lonely
Hey guys, so I've been batting around this rather persistent plot bunny for a while. Though I don't have much confidence in my ability to pull off something this dark, I was thinking of doing a Pokemon fic based loosely on the classic Battle Royale setup. I feel like something similar has probably been done before, maybe even as a RP, but if not, my premise is as follows:

In order the find the "greatest trainer of all," mysterious Legendaries trainer Takuto has extended an open challenge to trainers from all over the world, inviting them to an isolated island to take part in a massive competition. It quickly becomes clear, however, that this isn't your normal tournament (cue sinister music).

I haven’t figured out all the rules yet, but this is what I have so far.
  • At the start of the competition, each trainer gets one, and only one, PokeBall containing a random "starter" Pokemon (either completely random or perhaps belonging to any of the other trainers in the competition...haven't decided yet).
  • If a trainer tries to leave the island/enter certain restricted zones, OR if their "starter" Pokemon faints, they automatically die (via the quintessential Battle Royale exploding collars).
  • The only way to add more Pokemon to your roster, unfortunately, is to kill other trainers and take theirs, though there may be some exceptions.
  • Trainers also have to survive in the island wilderness, which is filled with wild Pokemon and prone to "natural" disasters.
  • The competition ends when there is only one trainer left standing (if there isn't a single winner by the end of a certain time period, everyone may automatically die).
I’m also thinking about having a sizable subplot where individuals who didn’t enter the competition (possibly headed by Gary Oak…though I can’t decide if I’d prefer to have him to compete or not) are trying to figure out who “Takuto” really is and ultimately attempt to save the people on the island.

At any rate, I am thinking to use largely canon anime characters for this, probably several years into the future (one of the protagonists, May's little brother Max, is a beginning trainer at this point). I have a couple ideas for who I might include, but not nearly enough for the loads and loads of characters I'm planning for. So I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on:
  • Which characters do you think would be interesting to see as competitors?/What pokemon would be interesting for them to get as their "starter"? (someone’s definitely ending up with Magikarp fyi)
  • What reactions/hidden abilities/personality traits/backstories might emerge from these characters in life and death situations?
  • What kind of alliances/grudges/goals do you think might come into play?
  • How might certain characters end up getting killed off/killing others off?

etc.
Whew, okay. Hope no one thinks I'm an ax-crazy creep now. ;

no, there aren't any heroes here...
[but this is the stuff legends are made of]

7fEATHERS | Leftovers
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Eliminator Jr.
Gym Leader

Nature: Calm
If you really wanted to spice it up you could give all the trainers different languages so the protagonist can only communicate with a few of the trainers that share his language. Could make things interesting if hand gestures and body language are misinterpreted. However, with languages you've got more room to play around with alliances and deception.

About the Magikarp thing - if you've got multiple points of view, you could get the trainer with the Magikarp to spend the first half of the contest trying to hide from the other players, and you could include encounters where he is almost found out by other trainers (that is until he gets Gyarados and goes crazy). But yeah, I'd like to see the Magikarp guy play it smart rather than just going "oh damn, I've got a Magikarp, now I'm going to lose".

But yeah, this reminds me a lot of a book called Contest by Matthew Reilly, where basically all the intelligent races of the universe every however many years have a massive contest where one member of each race is placed inside a maze and have to be the last one standing. This time they decide to include humans as a joke (because basically humans aren't anywhere near as advanced) and the maze is the New York State Library. But yeah, the story basically follows the main guy around as he tries to protect his daughter at the same time and it's really interesting.

Good luck writing it anyway, it sounds like it'll be a ripper.
Old November 26th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Will94
Trainer Card Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmayaTakahashi View Post
Thanks for the help!!!!!! Actually, I guess I didn't make this clear enough ( lol my fault, no one elses. Looking back at it confuses me too.) but Team Luna uses "Lunar Beam" around a certain area after they commit a crime.

The police do get involved, but it's gonna be a power struggle thing like with team Rocket, other than the "Lunar Beam" beacon, they have no proof it was Team Luna. The move is open for circulation WAYYY before Team Luna started using it, but certain rare TM stores and certain Pokemon have the natural ability to learn it (i.e. Lunatone, Clefairy, etc). Also Team Luna's version is slightly altered to where it will be visible for a long time afterwards (As opposed to a few minutes), up to all night.

And as for the law concerning the training, almost everyone in the Morea region has a job concerned with Pokemon. It's kind of a mastery of the subject kind of thing. I might change it to where her father is "making" her train Pokemon for her own safety or something like that.

Thanks again!

Amaya
Does the Lunar Beam idea have anything to do with the Dark Mark from Harry Potter? If not, then ignore me!! XD

Old November 26th, 2010, 02:37 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

@ Hitoshizuku - merged your thread with the Plot Bunny thread as asking for opinions on ideas and whatnot comes under this. =p

Anyways it is an interesting idea - you'd need to set up Takuto some as to why he'd want to set up such a challenge/trap in the first place though, certainly (unless you want to keep it all in the dark), and how he'd monitor everyone and all too (I imagine 'collars' would not necessarily be enough... and what happens to said collar if removed, or if they're on a Pokemon too and they evolve?
Quote:
What reactions/hidden abilities/personality traits/backstories might emerge from these characters in life and death situations?
The Pokemon world seems quite against the killing of trainers by nature, so I imagine hardly anyone would find themselves enjoying it or for the whole challenge thing. =p (After all, Pokemon only ever 'faint' in battles to boot). As for training the new Pokemon, I'd think maybe recalling past experiences might come in handy and could be something to refer to if you wish?

Overall does sound promising!

Old November 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Hitoshizuku
something shining

Nature: Lonely
@ Eliminator Jr.
The language idea sounds pretty cool! Not sure if I've seen different languages used in the anime at all, but maybe even a secret code or some sort might be useful?

Yes, the Magikarp guy is definitely putting up a fight! (in the original "Battle Royale" movie, I think the winning characters initially got "useless" weapons, e.g. a pot lid and binoculars while other people were getting axes and guns) But yes, there should definitely be trainers that will be playing it smart rather than all out offensively; I'm thinking another guy is going to have an Abra that only knows Teleport. So many possibilities...

Ooh, thanks for the book rec. That sounds really interesting. Have you heard of the "Hunger Games" at all, by any chance?

@ bobandbill
Oops, sorry about putting this the wrong place! ; I did see other plot idea type threads in the main Writer's Lounge section, though (e.g. "Flying Girl Rainbow Wing," "Unknown writing story," "Lilly's Story," etc.), and I'm a bit confused about how mine was different from those. In general, how should I determine where to post this kind of stuff in the future?

Haha, yes, Takuto is most definitely in the dark. He doesn't have much backstory in the anime, so I'm going to be taking free reign with that (evil smile). As for the collars, they explode if you try to take them off, and they have some sort of audio/tracking monitor system that I will have to look more into. ; Not sure how I'm gonna handle Pokemon evolving, though. Uh...magic! (haha)

Yeah, I don't think anyone in the happy G-rated world that is the Pokemon anime would take well to this at all, not without some serious trauma (which is part of the reason I feel this idea would be difficult to pull off well ). I guess one of the points of the original "Battle Royale" was that ordinary high schoolers could become killers under the pressure of life and death situations, so I'm looking for ways to make the Pokemon chars crack as well...hope that doesn't make me sound too evil. ;

no, there aren't any heroes here...
[but this is the stuff legends are made of]

7fEATHERS | Leftovers
Old November 26th, 2010, 10:12 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Quote:
Oops, sorry about putting this the wrong place! ; I did see other plot idea type threads in the main Writer's Lounge section, though (e.g. "Flying Girl Rainbow Wing," "Unknown writing story," "Lilly's Story," etc.), and I'm a bit confused about how mine was different from those. In general, how should I determine where to post this kind of stuff in the future?
No problem. And I guess they never got merged, is all, or didn't quite fit. I guess though if you want advice or thoughts, etc on a plot idea it'd go here, and if it's say a preview of a fic (along with possible snippet of fic) or just a question in general to do with fics in some way then it can have its own thread.
Quote:
Haha, yes, Takuto is most definitely in the dark. He doesn't have much backstory in the anime, so I'm going to be taking free reign with that (evil smile). As for the collars, they explode if you try to take them off, and they have some sort of audio/tracking monitor system that I will have to look more into. ; Not sure how I'm gonna handle Pokemon evolving, though. Uh...magic! (haha)
Hmm - maybe using a Pokemon to track them would be something to consider? Seeing Takuto has canonically a couple of legendaries as well that could possibly come in useful for that (including a Psychic type)...

Old November 27th, 2010, 12:47 AM
AmayaTakahashi
Newbie Script Writer

Send a message via Skype™ to AmayaTakahashi
Quote:
Does the Lunar Beam idea have anything to do with the Dark Mark from Harry Potter? If not, then ignore me!! XD

Eh, I didn't realise it was like that until after I typed my first post. Initially, no, but I guess in a way it is! lol

XD

Amaya

Old November 29th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Canine
Beginning Trainer

I have a new idea that I got a few days ago. It's based off the seven deadly sins. Most of the same stuff stays the same, but there are a few differences.

Plot Idea
This story takes place 30 years after Ash's journey. After finishing his Unova/Isshu journey, he disappeared, leading some to think he was dead. Since then, a few new regions has been discovered, each with its own lifestyle. This story takes place on one of these new regions, Kochi.

Due to its isolation from the rest of the regions, Kochi has a unique lifestyle. It isn't very high-tech and the region still lives off it's history and superstitions. Kochi is also home to the Deadly Sins Pokemon; the story goes...before humans walked this earth, the Deadly Sins Pokemon was seven pokemon that tried to overthrow Arceus, but they failed. Arceus took their souls away and hid their bodies so they can never be found. But its only a story, right?

These pokemon (or their souls at least) is awakened, and they decide to do what they attempted before they were destroyed, overthrow Arceus and take control of the pokemon world. Each pokemon represents something different: wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony.

It's up to trainers from around the regions to save the world from these pokemons. Will they succeed or fail miserably?
End Plot

I don't know, I don't think the seven deadly sins have been done before. It'll be interesting to see how I can work this out. What do you guys think?
Pokemon Sapphire,
Pokemon Emerald,
Pokemon FireRed,
Pokemon Diamond,
Pokemon HeartGold
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Well, my first question is what does Ash have to do with it? Normally when Ash is mentioned as being disappeared, the fic has either the plot or subplot of trying to find him. I know that you're just setting up the timeline for your fic, but if Ash isn't really a part of your fic, then why mention him?

I haven't seen the seven deadly sins done in Pokemon fanfiction, but even if it was, you'll be writing an entirely different story compared to others who have done it before, so don't really worry too much about that.

It'll be interesting to see why trainers from all over the world need to come to Kochi to save it. I'm not sure if you already have characters and where they're from set in your mind, so can't really comment much on the characters.

Are you going to have a lot of fakemon in your story? Since Kochi is separated that much from the rest of the world that they're behind in technology and other things, I'd figure that they'd not have much of the same Pokemon as other regions. Kind of like how Unova is.

I love stories dealing with the Seven Deadly Sins, so I'd like to know more about this and what you have planned.
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:14 AM
Canine
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
Well, my first question is what does Ash have to do with it? Normally when Ash is mentioned as being disappeared, the fic has either the plot or subplot of trying to find him. I know that you're just setting up the timeline for your fic, but if Ash isn't really a part of your fic, then why mention him?

I haven't seen the seven deadly sins done in Pokemon fanfiction, but even if it was, you'll be writing an entirely different story compared to others who have done it before, so don't really worry too much about that.

It'll be interesting to see why trainers from all over the world need to come to Kochi to save it. I'm not sure if you already have characters and where they're from set in your mind, so can't really comment much on the characters.

Are you going to have a lot of fakemon in your story? Since Kochi is separated that much from the rest of the world that they're behind in technology and other things, I'd figure that they'd not have much of the same Pokemon as other regions. Kind of like how Unova is.

I love stories dealing with the Seven Deadly Sins, so I'd like to know more about this and what you have planned.
I don't think I'll add Ash or any anime characters. I was just setting up the timeline, I don't think I'll mention any of them in the fic.

I was just making sure I wasn't "ripping off" anyone. I didn't think the Seven Deadly Sins have been done, but I was just checking.

I have a few characters made, but only the main characters (or most of the main characters). I'm still trying to figure out how the other regions will play into the story.

I want to have fakemon in this story, but it depends if I can figure out the names of them. I'm really bad at thinking of names for pokemon.

I've been obsessed with the Seven Deadly Sins lately, and I got this idea across the weekend.
Pokemon Sapphire,
Pokemon Emerald,
Pokemon FireRed,
Pokemon Diamond,
Pokemon HeartGold
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:03 AM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
I'll have to go with Astinus on the mentioning Ash part. When you mention him, then that means you're going to have your story set in anime canon, which is quite different from game canon. You can still have your story set long after Ash's journey at Isshu/Unova is finished, but if Ash won't be referenced or be featured, it's best not to mentioned Ash's disappearance.

Other than that, very interesting premise. Don't think I seen the deadly sins being used in Pokemon, so it's would be very interesting how that will play out. If you can't think of some fakemon for the deadly sins, you can maybe still have some of the legendaries be them. I mean, if going by anime canon, the Orange Islands have their own myths of Lugia different from the people of Johto, so it's possible.

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:49 PM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Nature: Quirky
Indeed. Perhaps when we learn the English names of the Unova (ugh) protagonists, you can use them as a baseline... or just remove that part entirely and just state that it happens in the far future. Either one would work just as good as Ash Ketchum, and in my experience, the less tethering you do to one timeline, the better. At least the game canon is a little more open.

I don't believe I've ever seen the Deadly Sins as physical Pokémon before. (Admittedly I have assigned a Deadly Sin to each of my fake Gym Leaders, which is why I can't use "in fanfic", but that was just for fun and I don't intend to mention that in the story itself. So yeah. XD) It would certainly be fun to watch - for me, at least, who finds that sort of thing very interesting. c:
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Godot17
The Skeptical Scepter

Nature: Serious
I don't want to give out to much, but I have a sort of story I want to see I can exercise.

It all started with Dragons, Iris (Pokemon Anime), and Relatives. From there, I spun out a conflict between two sisters related to Iris fighting each other for a sort of power as Dragon Warriors. I subdivided the action into 4 parts, an introduction, Iris's story, a journey to find hidden objects, and the final conflict.

The names of the sisters I believe would be Veronica and Haemona. Them and Iris descend from an ancient civilization/specie of human called The People of the Dragons. After some legends which I'm still working on, Veronica and Haemona will conflict. Iris will also play an important role here. I think it'd probably be sort of violent.

Anyways, I'm not new to writing, it's just time management that I need to adjust. But I feel like I can probably develop enough from this.
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedK47 View Post
I don't want to give out to much, but I have a sort of story I want to see I can exercise.

It all started with Dragons, Iris (Pokemon Anime), and Relatives. From there, I spun out a conflict between two sisters related to Iris fighting each other for a sort of power as Dragon Warriors. I subdivided the action into 4 parts, an introduction, Iris's story, a journey to find hidden objects, and the final conflict.

The names of the sisters I believe would be Veronica and Haemona. Them and Iris descend from an ancient civilization/specie of human called The People of the Dragons. After some legends which I'm still working on, Veronica and Haemona will conflict. Iris will also play an important role here. I think it'd probably be sort of violent.

Anyways, I'm not new to writing, it's just time management that I need to adjust. But I feel like I can probably develop enough from this.
Real quick, when you say "two sisters related to Iris," you mean those sisters are Iris' cousins, or the three of them are siblings? Just want to make sure.

Anyways, this sounds interesting. Am curious though what does the title Dragon Warrior means and also what the hidden objects have to do with the plot. Perhaps those objects needed to be found in order to be a Dragon Warrior?

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
Old December 10th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Godot17
The Skeptical Scepter

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Alexison View Post
Real quick, when you say "two sisters related to Iris," you mean those sisters are Iris' cousins, or the three of them are siblings? Just want to make sure.

Anyways, this sounds interesting. Am curious though what does the title Dragon Warrior means and also what the hidden objects have to do with the plot. Perhaps those objects needed to be found in order to be a Dragon Warrior?
I want to say cousins, but I decided to set up the family tree for Iris to be a sort of 2nd Aunt.

That might be the case~ I'm developing each story sub-plot and events bit by bit.

Also, would it be a good tactic to write out many chapters to wait for review and release, or is it better to remain classical and review/release after you finish writing each chapter?
Old December 10th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Neiko Star
Dancing rain

Nature: Impish
Anybody have any suggestions about my idea?
Old December 10th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Giratina ♀
what's your sign?

Nature: Quirky
Advance, I've heard of a certain fanficiton writer putting her entire story onto paper, rewriting it, and then posting the chapters, and it turned out to be a fantastic read. But not everyone can even do that (I've tried and failed). Writing a bunch is good because you can go back and edit inconsistencies, but one at a time is better for those of us who really can't stand big documents, or keeping content from the readers. It depends on what you feel like doing.

Neiko Star, could you perhaps quote your idea? It would be much easier to rate if we don't need to sift through pages. c:
Old December 10th, 2010, 04:35 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Indeed - there are advantages and disadvantages to either posting as you write something or writing it all before getting to posting. If the former, having some idea as to how the rest of the story will pan out may be useful so you avoid potential plotholes and whatnot, , but if you (or a reviewer) points out a problem that would mean some re-writing if you have the whole thing done already than you may need to do more work to fix that overall. But really, one should go with what feels best for them, I suppose - I've seen both ways work well, and work not-so-well. *shrugs*

Also here be Neiko Star's idea from...back in September:
Quote:
I'm a big fan of fantasy and magic, but I can't write them to save my life. >.< The major problem is that it's hard for me to plot my stories out. I have a couple of ideas, but I really don't know what to do with them. I hardly have enough to write a story, but it seems like I'm just too lazy to take the time to plot the whole thing out. I mean, most of my 'idea's are actually just concepts, and I actually have no idea what the main plot or characters are. I don't expect to get a substantial plot out of this, but I'd appreciate it if somebody just gave me a few pointers or recommendations.

Idea #1: The Book of Spells contains spells and incantations. There are 100 pages, and ten spells per page. The Book of Summons contains the list of supernatural creatures you have signed contracts with. You can sign up to 500 contracts. Then there's a third book, a book used to store magical items and such, though I haven't come up with a name for it yet. Each mage starting out will get one spell, one contract and one item. The first space on the first page of every Book is framed with fancy gold curves. That's where they go. The first spell is nearly always unique to the user. The first contract you sign is different than others, because it's a blood contract, so the beast is bound to you for life. Every time you master a spell, it becomes engraved in your Book of Spells. The Books are written in an ancient rune language (haven't found a name yet). Each mage has their own Frequency (not sure about this name either) of Resonance. Resonance is when you pulse your magic through something, and Frequency is like fingerprints of your magic, unique to a single person. The person's Frequency is inscribed in runes on the cover of the Books. Only the user's Frequency can unlock the Books. The Books are white and colourless when you receive them. When you unlock them for the first time, it takes a huge burst of magic. If you manage to unlock them, they'll get their own colour, depending on the branch and type of your magic. It is the goal of each mage to complete their Books. Everybody has their Books, as they are part of one's soul, but not everyone can unlock them. That means only those with a powerful and pure Resonance can become mages. That's pretty much all I have right now.

Ugh, I have to sleep now, I'll post the rest of my ideas tomorrow morning...
On first glance - what are the actual purposes of contracts - I feel that could be further established for instance, and what sort of creatures (beyond 'supernatural' as mentioned) does one make contracts with as well? Is there any reason for the 10 spells per page, 500 contracts, etc limits mentioned here as well? (For instance is thre anything stoppoing one for using a different book, or fitting more, or indeed less than 10 spells on each page? And as you said you'd be 'the rest of your ideas later, so you might as well do that too I suppose, in case some clarifies some of those questions. =p

Old December 17th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Prometheus
Trainer

Nature: Calm
The book off summons seems fantastic.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links