The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:55 PM
ggctuk

Advertise here
There are a few maps you have not yet added such as the prototype Safari Zone and Lake of Rage maps.
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:53 AM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
There are a few maps you have not yet added such as the prototype Safari Zone and Lake of Rage maps.
Does it really matter ?
I mean, if you want to edit those, you at least need to create events for them - and that's about the same as creating the whole map from scratch.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM
ggctuk

No, it doesn't really matter but AM has complete listings of maps regardless of whether they are unused or not.
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Lin
JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lin
Quote:
Wrong. First off, the Safari Zone is there, in bank 3 (map 81). Second, I didn't "have not added yet" any maps; it's all automatic. Every map you see in the game is there. If you want to load a beta map, use the Load Map from Address feature.
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:24 PM
IIMarckus
J946@5488AA97464

No, it doesn't really matter but AM has complete listings of maps regardless of whether they are unused or not.
The reason for that is because all the “beta” maps in the GBA games are complete enough for a map editor to include them by default. By contrast, the G/S beta maps consist only of block data, with no headers. This means that to display them, the editor would have to guess or hardcode:
  • the size of the map
  • the tileset for the map
  • events
  • scripts
  • location on the world map
and more. This data just doesn’t exist for the beta maps (with the notable exception of the Safari Zone, which is why it does appear in most map editors). And because the maps don’t have headers, you can’t use them in your hack anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Well, after reading feedback from more place than one, it looks like a lot of people who knew what they were doing were a little disappointed. I created this editor for two reasons:
1. I needed a project at the time, plus this was a big learning experience for me…
Cool. Now get back to work on your Zelda editor!

Do you have plans to release the source code?

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
Old September 30th, 2010, 08:50 AM
LightOfTruth
Likes Hacks and Official Games

Glad to see this get made. I'm sick of GBA hacks all of the time

Get some Sims 3 stuff now

Old October 3rd, 2010, 04:28 AM
cooley
///Keepin' it simple

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cooley Send a message via Skype™ to cooley
This, is amazing! Great job!

Old October 7th, 2010, 09:15 AM
AmatuerHacker
Beginning Trainer

Mine's not working I know this will be a great tool :'( mine just says microsoft NET framework i dunno how to fix it tho
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:55 AM
miksy91

Here is a major bug you might want to fix - not sure if this happens for someone else

I don't know how this properly works but for example when I modify the events of Route 45, the route gets completely messed up.
No idea why it does that though...

EDIT:
Let's explain a little better :D
Even the change of Picture Number can affect the map in that way, and when done so, VBA gives you an error report of "wrong script pointer" ?
After that, the game freezes.

Also, it's not like I need the tool to change Picture Numbers of people but you should really fix it.

Hacks I support

Last edited by miksy91; October 7th, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:36 PM
itari
悪魔の妹
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
Here is a major bug you might want to fix - not sure if this happens for someone esle

I don't know how this properly works but for example when I modify the events of Route 45, the route gets completely messed up.
Oh my gosh! Me too! It is really annoying. I've had to re-start a bunch.

SubscriptAdvanced SongType Effectiveness EditorTilemap CreatorPython IPS Patcher
Old October 7th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Lin
JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
Here is a major bug you might want to fix - not sure if this happens for someone else :S

EDIT:
Let's explain a little better :D
Even the change of Picture Number can affect the map in that way, and when done so, VBA gives you an error report of "wrong script pointer" ?
After that, the game freezes.

Also, it's not like I need the tool to change Picture Numbers of people but you should really fix it.
I'm not sure. It might be like another error where it's map-specific. Try resetting the map's script and seeing if anything changes.
Old October 26th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Sou1forged
Beginning Trainer

What does the bottom two abbreviations in the connections window stand for? I don't have enough courage ruining another hack, while trying to change the map connections...
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:56 PM
IIMarckus
J946@5488AA97464

Originally Posted by Sou1forged View Post
What does the bottom two abbreviations in the connections window stand for? I don't have enough courage ruining another hack, while trying to change the map connections...
Just make a backup, try it out, and restore from backup if things don’t work.

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Sou1forged
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIMarckus View Post
Just make a backup, try it out, and restore from backup if things don’t work.
Yeah, that's what I usually do, but on more than one occasion I accidentally applied the changes to both hack and backup. Normally I can reverse these things by hand, but when I don't know exactly what I'm doing, I can't know what went wrong and therefore cannot fix it...

Edit: I tried it again and ended up with the same problem I had last time; As soon as I use the new connection, I end up being stuck between the two maps. Until I know what the bottom two boxes are for, I won't be able to tell what I did wrong...

Last edited by Sou1forged; October 27th, 2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Lin
JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator

The question mark on the top left is there for a reason. Click it and then click the labels or the box that goes with them. They're actually memory pointers, and I'm not 100% on what they do. They're the things that make connections hard. The only thing I remember about them is one is where the data starts for the other map and the other is where you should be able to stand to see the other map.
Old October 30th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Sou1forged
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
The question mark on the top left is there for a reason. Click it and then click the labels or the box that goes with them. They're actually memory pointers, and I'm not 100% on what they do. They're the things that make connections hard. The only thing I remember about them is one is where the data starts for the other map and the other is where you should be able to stand to see the other map.
Sorry, I didn't see it. You must have made it to obvious... :P
I'll check into it immediately... Oh, and nice tool you've made. I was about to publish a long tutorial on how to create your own tileset, but this tool enables me to shorten it down drastically, and almost render it obsolete. I may publish the collision data type list, though I doubt it will be of much use.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
fi yuo cna raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre
Old October 30th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Masterge77
Jacen The Robot Floatzel

Nature: Serious
Will you be making it compatible with Crystal?

The Owner of Sea Weasels, the club for Buizel and Floatzel fans!
Old November 6th, 2010, 02:24 PM
redsaber5859
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Naughty
Nice editor, but I agree with the third post, it could make people such as Koolboyman a little pissed...

But thats life, the n00bs winning every race Good editor nonetheless
Old November 6th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Hm... making JohtoMap compatible with Pokémon Crystal wouldn't be a bad idea, actually. :)
But if it seems this map editor won't be updated anymore, then I guess it won't be added. However, 1st and 2nd generation seem to have the exact mapping engine, except the 2nd generation has the palette changes for the real time clock. But the 1st generation does indeed use different palettes for every map, so it would show up in those palettes on Super GameBoy or Pokémon Stadium.

If there was a map editor for the 1st generation that would load all the tiles from the ROM itself, then it would be great.

However, I do see that hex editing the 1st and 2nd generation is much quicker than any other generations.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:34 AM
CelebiKing123

this is great! apart from you can walk all over half of the blacks like the bottom set of housing on the pallete
Old November 28th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Loony Boo♪
King Boo, from Whack A Hack!

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Loony Boo♪ Send a message via Skype™ to Loony Boo♪
Hi Lin, congratulations, this tool is so useful! I would like to use the beta tilesets, will you add this option? It would be very useful.

Bye
Old November 28th, 2010, 02:51 AM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black pass View Post
Hi Lin, congratulations, this tool is so useful! I would like to use the beta tilesets, will you add this option? It would be very useful.

Bye
To do so, just change the [Tileset] byte inside the Map Header of the edited map. It's actually the first byte in the header.

See this doc. for details:
http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/15/

The Map Header structure is the same in GSC as in RBY.
This may feel hard in the beginning but if you're about to make a hack of G/S, you've to learn how to do things like that

Hacks I support

Old December 21st, 2010, 03:58 AM
miksy91

I'm going to double-post because the last message from me was at Nov 28th and this has nothing to do with it (and no one would see what I point out here).

This tool sure is great !
I haven't had any "bugs" anymore as I clearly know what each command is for.
*Might actually make a tutorial of using this thing but not sure...

Anyway, there is one thing with this tool that's bothering me.

If you for example put one more person to the map, it repoints the event data to the next following offset where there is free space for adding the data even though I'd like to put the data somewhere else. The editor doesn't leave the user the possibility to choose the offset itself.

The only problem is that if you for example repointed something else (like trainer type names text) just in front of the start data of the repointed event data, you won't have the space to expand it in need.

Of course you can always pass this problem by repointing the event data with a hex editor but this tool automatically adds the original event data to the repointed offset which makes it so useful :D

Hacks I support

Old June 28th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Lin
JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator

Sorry for the bump, but this project has been updated. I also no longer work on it, so the source code has been released. Visit the main topic for download information.
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
What about ClassicMap ?
Will you still be working on that ?? D:

Sponsored Links

Advertise here