The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:08 PM
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeightyWillBill View Post
So I guess a person would post with how many Pokemon they want and what game, and the next poster assigns them Pokemon based on the personalities. Anyone else approve of this idea?

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:21 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

Nature: Timid
Thanks for the Seed bby, Chaos. :D Seed bby is actually hard for me to draw as well. I don't know why. I mean...it's just a bby. v_v

As for that personality challenge, that actually seems kinda cool. I'm a mystery man though, so I doubt I'd enter it. Manly would be one of my traits though, obvs.

paired to peeta
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:57 PM
dragon0fangz
account moved to 649

Nature: Relaxed
Yet another challenge idea.

The No PC Challenge.

Basically, NO PC. You have to use the first six pokemon you obtain. Not much of a challenge, but you do have to be wise about what you catch.
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:57 PM
Enigma
Community Supporter

Okay then, I guess I'll start up the personality challenge then. :D

Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:39 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

The personality thing sounds quite interesting. Even though not on the Internet, I'm pretty sarcastic with people, and they believe the sarcastic things I say...
And the NO PC Challenge isn't really that challenging. You could go ahead and solo the game with your starter, and maybe catch a powerful Pokemon or two for the lulz.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:49 AM
solarowl
I'll always be an Outsider.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to solarowl
Just a random idea. Maybe the Box challenge or something. In the challenge, a person takes a game in which they have completed ( basically beat E4 two times or beat Red in some cases) and posts how many boxes full of pokemon they have. The next poster posts a random box number which the poster above had, and then the poster chooses 6 random pokemon from that box,( maybe by a diagnal order,first from each row, etc.) and those 6 pokemon ( or 4 or5 if they want an HM Slave) are used in his/her journey. Also, they start a different game, pokemon may be traded if not found in that game. Maybe something along those lines.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:01 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

^We already have similar thing, just that you don't pick a random box, you pick six Pokemon from all of the poster's boxes. It's called the Box Clearance Challenge and it's on the 1st page. You should check it out. (:

Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:58 AM
dragon0fangz
account moved to 649

Yet another idea!
I love spamming this thread with challenge ideas.
But this one is actually good.
Its a variation on the Monotype Challenge!
Its called the duo-type challenge!
How is it harder, you say?
Just pick 2 types, your pokemon must be either of these two types, or both. No other types.
Say, for Hoenn, you chose Dark and Grass.
You can use Shiftry, Cacturne, Mightyena, and Bellossom. However, you can't use Sharpedo or Breloom, as those are also water and fighting types.
Get it?
Old December 23rd, 2010, 12:22 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

^Never mind, challenge idea spamming is something we all love. xD
Well yeah, I can see what you want, even though some types are pretty limited. I think we can work something out of this challenge. (:

Old December 23rd, 2010, 12:27 AM
solarowl
I'll always be an Outsider.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to solarowl
I don't think the above challenge isn't that hard because a person can choose two really good types like dragon and something else.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 12:46 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

We could prevent that by a rule. Maybe allow a single good type. Maybe not allow Dragon types at all, as when someone would choose dragon, it would come next to flying or something, as that is the most common secondary type for dragons.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 04:20 AM
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chaos11011
Actually if Dragons are such a good type why are we allowed to use them in Mono-Type?

Dragon is still a type none-the-less so it needs no restrictions.

THough if one was neccesary maybe a "no trade for your type rule" and a "must have your type before 1st Gym rule" that way someone cant get a ubsurd type combo like Dragon and Steel which are both the best typing Offensive and Defensively. (and since a Empleon and Garchomp/Altaria combo isnt allowed No game can get both Steel and Dragon)
Old December 23rd, 2010, 04:28 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

^Yeah, like I said, some combos are impossible, if not downright stupid and can't be done. Also, dragons require a lot of experience, so I suppose it's OK. As to get the dragon's level high, you do have to grind like a mad scientist.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 04:41 AM
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chaos11011
Ghost and Fighting (the type combo that hits everything for neutral damage, exept for Normal/Ghost which doesn't exist yet) is Impossible in every gen exept for Gen IV (though the only team possible is a DuoRun with Dusknoir/Mismagius and Machamp depending on the Version and is Impossible in Diamond.)

So thats not broken unless we do a 4 Pokemon Minimum rule.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:42 AM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Yeah, dragons should definitely be allowed. Unless you want to have a Dragonair for the whole game, in gen 1 you would be stuck with Dragon/Flying, and there is no Flying type that isn't a dual type, making Dragonite your only Pokemon.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
The Lord of Smug

Nature: Hasty
Okay, thread will be made by me, look forward to it!

Also, something Im just a bit confused about.

Most challenges ban legendaries, but some pseudo-legendaries are stronger than some legendaries. Moltres vs Tyranitar, who would win?

I vote that all Legendaries 600 BST and below be unbanned!
Old December 23rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by 649 View Post
Okay, thread will be made by me, look forward to it!

Also, something Im just a bit confused about.

Most challenges ban legendaries, but some pseudo-legendaries are stronger than some legendaries. Moltres vs Tyranitar, who would win?

I vote that all Legendaries 600 BST and below be unbanned!
I honestly think it's up to the challenger, whether they want to use Legendaries or not. Legendaries are most likely banned for the fact that they are "Above" all other pokemon and each of them is extremely powerful in their own right, even Moltres.
The example you gave however, was a bad one. Primeape, which is by no means, pseudo-legendary could easily defeat a regice, and Gyarados could beat an entei. Type advantages trump base stats in-game, so the argument is, irrelevant.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old December 23rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
The Lord of Smug

A bit of misstatement on my part, I meant to say, which is stronger in general, Tyranitar or Moltres?
Old December 23rd, 2010, 05:34 PM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by 649 View Post
A bit of misstatement on my part, I meant to say, which is stronger in general, Tyranitar or Moltres?
Obviously Tyranitar is stronger, as it is both an offensive and defensive threat. Do remember, though, that all challenges take place in-game, where every pokemon has value. Ubers, BST, IVs and breeding don't matter, the trainer's willingness to accept and train whatever is thrown at him is what truly matters.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:33 PM
Enigma
Community Supporter

For those that thought the personality challenge was a cool idea, it's up and ready now. c:

Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:38 PM
The Lord of Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpman View Post
Obviously Tyranitar is stronger, as it is both an offensive and defensive threat. Do remember, though, that all challenges take place in-game, where every pokemon has value. Ubers, BST, IVs and breeding don't matter, the trainer's willingness to accept and train whatever is thrown at him is what truly matters.
yeah, so my point is that legendaries shouldn't be banned. That's what I was trying to say in the first place. ; Making a comparison between an unbanned pokemon and a banned pokemon seemed like the best way, but I totally agree with you on that Ubers, BST, IV, and Breedinng don't matter. Hell, I once did a solo run on Silver with an Igglybuff (a crowning achievement which I am very proud of.)
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:17 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

I think that legendaries are banned for a combination of reasons.
1. They are, with a select few others, the strongest Pokemon in the game. This would make the challenges "too easy", so they ban Pokemon. By banning the "best" Pokemon, you are attempting to make it harder. However, if you did it by base stat total, how would you decide the cut-off? If you picked a cut-off, then someone could say "Well, Pokemon X is the best of the Pokemon allowed, so he should be banned too." And on and on until there are no more Pokemon left. By banning only legendaries, you are getting a majority of the ridiculously powerful Pokemon, and there is a nice cut-off point.
2. Most legendaries are obtained late game. If you don't hack to get them, you will be doing a majority of the game without the Pokemon you're using (in the case of a solo challenge).
3. It's a pain to look up the Pokemon by base stat total so you can see who is banned and who is not banned.
4. Banning "good" Pokemon is entirely judgmental. I would much rather prefer a Nidoking or Starmie over Tyrannitar in 3rd or 4th gen, and I would prefer a T/F/I Punch and Psychic Alakazam in 2nd Gen.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I had started a challenge idea a while back. It's called the Evil Challenge. Basically you play through with Rocket, Magma, Aqua, or Galactic Pokemon. I've got everything made, but don't have lists of Magma, Aqua, or Galactic Pokemon. Do you guys think this is a good idea, and if so, can someone help me find the lists?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Lastly, I have a challenge for someone. See my challenge card thing in my sig? I don't like it anymore. Can someone make me a new one? I only want my name, Monotypes, Nuzlockes, and Solos (at least for now). I know this isn't really the right place, but pleeeeeeease?

Last edited by myrrhman; December 23rd, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:31 PM
Enigma
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrhman View Post
I had started a challenge idea a while back. It's called the Evil Challenge. Basically you play through with Rocket, Magma, Aqua, or Galactic Pokemon. I've got everything made, but don't have lists of Magma, Aqua, or Galactic Pokemon. Do you guys think this is a good idea, and if so, can someone help me find the lists?
I could probably help you. This sounds really cool. I could probably make lists, unless there was a specific site which lists all of the Pokemon they use, and you just can't find it.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:36 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoRogue View Post

I could probably help you. This sounds really cool. I could probably make lists, unless there was a specific site which lists all of the Pokemon they use, and you just can't find it.
I don't know of any site. I've searched around and can't find it. If you can do Galactic and PM it to me, I can take care of Aqua and Magma.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:43 PM
Enigma
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrhman View Post
I don't know of any site. I've searched around and can't find it. If you can do Galactic and PM it to me, I can take care of Aqua and Magma.
Did you already take care of Rocket then? The list I'll be compiling will be of all the different species that Galactic has used, if that's what you wanted.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links