The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Bored of your old Pokémon games, but still want to play them? Put your skills to the test with a solo run, a monotype challenge, or anything else you can think of.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant

Advertise here

Even if Cam Newton broke NCAA rules, it's not as if the entire Oregon Ducks football team didn't. Before the Pac-10 was nerfed, the only thing
Oregon had going for them was money, Nike Money, which is breaking NCAA rules to give any players illegal benefits, one example of this is $.
Oregon is full of players from all around the country, half of which have been arrested, half of which would have gone to the U or Texas if Phil Grant wasn't paying for their Mom's house and buying them a slick new ride after they signed their soul away to the University of Oregon.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
While I'm fine with us discussing football, make sure that the main topic does stay about challenges, guys. I'm pretty lenient with this thread, so I'd hate to have to crack down on it like a jail warden or something.
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
While I'm fine with us discussing football, make sure that the main topic does stay about challenges, guys. I'm pretty lenient with this thread, so I'd hate to have to crack down on it like a jail warden or something.
Nah, I'm the warden, silly.

Okay, I don't know if you guys remember way back when before I took my 3 month leave of PC when I was going on and on about my super awesome challenge that I was working on. Well, I might as well tell you about it.

First, I'm going to have to credit redsaber with the original idea, sort of, but I made it playable. Really the only problem I have right now is that it's geared almost exclusively to people with Emulators.

Basically, you use "money" to buy all your Pokemon and items and stuff. The goal is to buy Arceus. He costs a lot of money; like $1,000,000 or something. Everytime you beat a trainer in the game you're playing, you get a little money. You can also get money by selling stuff that you have. So basically if you get money in the game, you get money in this challenge.

Now what do you use money to buy? Well, as you already know, you can buy Pokemon with money. You may also buy TMs, items and stuff, and Evolution Stones. That's right. Your Pokemon can't evolve unless you pay money. I'll have a list if we actually do this with the prices of everything on them.

So you play through the game and beat it. For example, lets say you have around 1,000 left after you beat the champion. That's not nearly enough to buy Arceus! Oh no! But don't fear, you can buy him in small chunks. After you beat a game, you start over on a new game, keeping your money. So you could pay off 1,000 towards Arceus. But then you don't have any money for the next game, so you have to strategically pay off only a certain amount each time, so that you can play through the first part of the next game. So you could pay 500 and then have 500 to start the next game.

This is the general idea of the challenge. I know its really confusing, I just got up so I'm not all the way into things. We'll have to tweak the amount of money for stuff later on if you guys like this idea.
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Alpha King
Man's Best Friend
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Alpha King
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrhman View Post

And now back on topic. Can someone give WeigtyWillBill (I think that's who it is, apologies if I'm wrong) a kick in the butt and tell him to update his revived triospecies challenge? I run/co-run 3 pretty big ones, and I know how much of a pain it is to have to update a bunch of stuff, and he's getting close to a month since last update.
Egad! I'm appalled! How dare someone suggest that I be kicked in the tush. How vile!

And I just updated yesterday, but I'm pretty sure I skipped a few things, so I'll finish that today

Last edited by Alpha King; December 28th, 2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: I fail -_-
Old December 30th, 2010, 07:37 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

You guys discussed football. "_" Good I was away. I don't know anything about it. xD

@myrrh : Ahh, so that's that clutter redsaber the troll posted sometime ? Apart from the gremmar and the fact that I couldn't understand anything from his post, I kinda got the thing. It sounds like a cool thing, but with buying Pokemon you mean cheat for one or just get one from the wild when he is available ? Let's not forget we need a list of prices for Pokemon...

This sounds so weird... xD

Old December 30th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Sydian

You mean the Red Challenge or whatever? There was something I didn't approve and it was made by him and I keep seeing it like...everyday. lmao I never understood what he was going for, so I made other mods read it and they didn't get it either. So I was just like "well if they don't get it, and I don't get it, will anyone else get it?"
Old December 30th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

I'm not a fan of the Red challenge. I don't like the idea of having to buy everything needed to complete the game, it just seemed hard to manage.
In other news, I lost my HG run because Bugsy's Scyther was dishing out crit U-turns like nobody's business.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Sydian

I dislike having to buy things irl why should I buy them to complete a challenge hmm...

And that sucks. Where was your Quilava in all this? Oh that's right, you went with Chikorita. Where was your Geodude for this mess?

Speaking of HG, say hello to my HG team in my sig. They're all so cute. Hover for movesets. :'D Not quite done, of course. And no, they're not for a challenge, that's actually a regular playthrough. But they're so great and wonderful.

Edit: THE NEIGHBORS KEEP HONKING CAR HORNS AND IT'S REALLY ANNOYING
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
I dislike having to buy things irl why should I buy them to complete a challenge hmm...

And that sucks. Where was your Quilava in all this? Oh that's right, you went with Chikorita. Where was your Geodude for this mess?

Speaking of HG, say hello to my HG team in my sig. They're all so cute. Hover for movesets. :'D Not quite done, of course. And no, they're not for a challenge, that's actually a regular playthrough. But they're so great and wonderful.

Edit: THE NEIGHBORS KEEP HONKING CAR HORNS AND IT'S REALLY ANNOYING
My Geodude had 29 HP, I assumed it would survive U-Turn. Of course it's a crit, and everything else was critted into oblivion. I'll admit I even had a Milotic in my party that I wasn't going to use until later. Even Milotic can't survive his Crit-Turns. I guess I'll go do some other challenge on HG using a Flygon.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old December 30th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Hawkfire-the-cat
I wrote this ya know

Okay, just a couple of challenge ideas that popped into my head

1: 'Mono nature' challenge
-Here's how this one will work; you have to complete any pkmn game using pokemon of one nature only. The person who comment's under you choses that nature, based on what they think of your personality (profile, signature, comments etc). Also, just to make it slightly more fun, you can only catch pokemon that slightly resemble that nature; ie if you get 'rash' you could have a primape or weaville, but not a alakazam or slaking.

2: The currently unamed challenge (gym swap or something?)
-This one's gonna be difficult to explain, so sorry if you can't tell what I'm saying. Each time you defeat a gym, you have to change you pokemon to ones you catch after it. Example: On Firered, you have your starter and a butterfree when you defeat Brock. You need to go to the next route out of Pewter, catch some pokemon, deposit the butterfree and starter, and use those. The rules would be no legendaries, no cheating (it's really not needed) you can't go out of a city with a gym leader to a city you haven't been to yet; ie you can't leave Cerulean and go to Vermillion until you bet Misty; and you can't catch pokemon in previous routes once you've bet the gym leader.

Why can't I do them: First one needs work, I can't explain the second one without a huge lecture; time constraints, I probably wouldn't finish; and I don't think I'd be the best person for looking after a thread.

Enjoy!

ONGOING CHALLENGES:
Second city challenge (FR)-1 gym badge
Platinum Nuzlocke-1 gym badge
Go read mah story on the nuzlocke thread! Or the ninja's will get you
Old December 30th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

Nature: Lax
The second one has already been done.

Hoenn, 1 Badge
My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
Old December 30th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Sydian

Nature sounds interesting, however it's hard to find Pokemon that have the nature you want, and not a lot of us want to SR for our specific assigned nature. Even with the added element of having Pokemon that seem to fit the nature, it still seems limited.

And though your second suggestion has been done before, there's not a current one up and running right now, so after you think of a name, read up the rules to make sure it's all in check, and make a thread for it if you want and I will get to it when I can.
Old December 30th, 2010, 09:37 PM
The Lord of Smug

Nature: Hasty
Yeah the second one is like my now-dead 1 Pokemon 1 Gym challenge. The only difference is I require solo runs. You can start it up again, but there is a reason it died. Too complicated for some, too much grinding for others.
Old December 30th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Sydian

Dunno why I didn't enter it, I grind levels all day without changing my team constantly. v_v lol
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Hawkfire-the-cat
I wrote this ya know

Aright then, thanks for the feedback!
Sorry for not realisng the second one was done, I've only really look at the first page of this section ; my bad.

I knew the nature one had a few errors, I know I also don't use mons if they have a bad nature. I might try to work with it a little more, and see if its any good.

I think that both idea's need some work though before I'd consider making a thread, but thanks for the feedback again!

ONGOING CHALLENGES:
Second city challenge (FR)-1 gym badge
Platinum Nuzlocke-1 gym badge
Go read mah story on the nuzlocke thread! Or the ninja's will get you
Old December 31st, 2010, 02:38 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

Yay, Cocky in the team. But he's still Little Chicken for me. <3

And the "What you want to see in 2011" thread has pretty interesting opinions. I tried zooming through them pretty fast, but they're just too many. v_v'

On another note... I'm at the hotel today, since the slopes are completely full. Nobody went skiing, and I am sitting in the hotel lobby (where I have Wi-Fi signal) with people staring at what I search. I try keeping 5 tabs open at a time, and switch to something like Facebook when people stare, but it's so annoying... u_u

Quote:
1: 'Mono nature' challenge
-Here's how this one will work; you have to complete any pkmn game using pokemon of one nature only. The person who comment's under you choses that nature, based on what they think of your personality (profile, signature, comments etc). Also, just to make it slightly more fun, you can only catch pokemon that slightly resemble that nature; ie if you get 'rash' you could have a primape or weaville, but not a alakazam or slaking.
This actually came to my mind yesterday, but I thought people would just be annoyed because they can't get the nature they need... I'm pretty sure it will turn into an issue... '

Old December 31st, 2010, 09:28 AM
Weavile05
Currently Hacking BW

Nature: Lax
Ugh... my Nuzlocke Run is NOT looking good... My only good pokemon atm is a level 18 Grovyle... Brawly almost ended the run altogether. It's gonna take some SERIOUS Grinding to regain a good Status.

Hoenn, 1 Badge
My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:28 AM
Sydian

Just want to point out that just because someone says "oh that challenge has been done" doesn't mean that it can't be redone. If for some reason it failed the first time, try to improve on what you think might have caused it to die, and then try to give new life to it. You guys make it sound so bad when you say "oh that's been done before." It comes off as a "that's boring, don't do that" to some people. Should be a little more encouraging. :)

And yes, I felt like raising a Blaziken, but for my favorite challenge on SS, I ended up with Combusken, so now I'm kinda burnt out (no pun intended) on the Torchic line.
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:52 AM
myrrhman
Challenge God

I don't see how the Mononature challenge would be a challenge. You get an entire team of whomever you want, you just have to keep resetting until you get the nature you want. I never bother with natures, and my challenges already end up just fine, so with the variety of Pokemon you can have, I don't see this as challenging at all.
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:54 AM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrhman View Post
I don't see how the Mononature challenge would be a challenge. You get an entire team of whomever you want, you just have to keep resetting until you get the nature you want. I never bother with natures, and my challenges already end up just fine, so with the variety of Pokemon you can have, I don't see this as challenging at all.
Maybe it could be converted to a bad-nature challenge, in which you have to beat the game using natures that don't suit the Pokemon you have.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:17 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God

I guess, but still. I mean, you know I've done quite the number of challenges. I have never checked natures once in my life. Well, I take that back. I did when I was considering to try Contests. I grew quickly bored. I'm assuming that at least a few of the pokemon had bad natures, but I just grinded a few more levels til they were acceptable. I don't think I've broken 70 on a challenge that natures were in. So, I had plenty of room to make up for the bad nature.
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:39 PM
Sydian

The most challenging part of a nature challenge is actually catching what you want and it, by some miracle, having the nature you want.
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:57 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God

Isn't there some way to improve chances of getting the nature you want? Like an ability or something?
Old December 31st, 2010, 01:22 PM
Joker4515
Beginning Trainer

The ability synchronize has an outside battle effect where wild pokemon have a 50% chance of having the same nature of the pokemon with synchronize.

Has to be the first pokemon in your party though.
Old December 31st, 2010, 01:40 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God

So you basically just have to SR til you get a Ralts with the right nature, then go around with Ralts leading to get your other team.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here