• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Frequently Asked Questions & Simple Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2015
Mewtwo Strikes Back Translation

I'm trying to do my own custom English subtitle track of the first Pokémon movie from the original Japanese cut. I've went to some websites showing me what sounds the symbols make when I had the Japanese subtitle track on, but when I realized that they were for the English dialogue, I tried to follow along and listen to the Japanese dialogue so that I could type them in Google Translate. Unfortunately, the spoken words go by too fast for me to do any Japanese to English translating. The truth is, I don't even know any Japanese! Does anyone have a copy of the original script of the movie in Japanese before 4Kids did their own version?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Ummm... let me get this straight. You're trying to make a sub of a movie that's already been dubbed and you don't know any Japanese to even begin with?

TheFuturePokemon

Natural.....
Years
Ummm... let me get this straight. You're trying to make a sub of a movie that's already been dubbed and you don't know any Japanese to even begin with?

sigh...people these days.

In Best Wishes will Iris(like in white) be the last gym leader or Shaga (in black)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2015
Not exactly. I just noticed that at two points in my already English-subtitled movie in Japanese, the same line was shown in English, but they were both pronounced differently by the voice actor. How do you explain that? I also attempted to listen to the dialogue and syllables, and used the Hiragana dictionary of symbols, but they didn't translate very well at all with the English subtitles. Does anyone have the original non-4Kids script written in Japanese so that I could translate the words better?

Oh, and another thing: I use Google Translate.

Last edited:

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
In Best Wishes will Iris(like in white) be the last gym leader or Shaga (in black)
Nothings been confirmed about that yet. In my opinion I just think they will use whoever is the last Gym Leader in the third game, like they did the with 8th gym leader in Hoenn.

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2015
That's great and all, but it doesn't have a translation for first ten minutes with young Mewtwo and Aitwo (Ambertwo).

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
That's great and all, but it doesn't have a translation for first ten minutes with young Mewtwo and Aitwo (Ambertwo).
I found this, bare in mind this is from the CD drama, it is still the same thing from the scene in the Movie if I am correct.

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2015
Do you think I should have subtitles mention the Japanese or English names of the characters? For example, should I have them say "Satoshi" or "Ash"?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
If it is for an English audience it is a good idea to use the name they are most familiar with. I believe all the Subs I have seen though refer to him as Satoshi though.

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2015
Two questions:

1. I'm at the point when Jessie and James start to recite the Team Rocket motto before a large wave crashes on their Viking boat. Should I subtitle the Japanese version of the motto, or the American version? I for one, am more used to "Prepare for trouble, and make it double."

2. How do I add subtitles to a Quicktime movie? I need an in-depth tutorial on how to make the subtitles go on and off the screen, and when to put them on.

Vernikova

Banned
Years
Why are you guys helping someone sub a movie by giving them advice on how to sub it?

AdvancedK47 said:

To be fair, that movie was poorly dubbed.

Years
Anime - Movie Timeline

Hey, I started watching the anime properly about a month ago and I'm now up to episode 34 but I was just wondering where do the movies fit into the timeline of the anime? As in after which episodes/seasons will the movies appear chronologically?

I think I remember reading somewhere that the first movie fits in after episode 70-something but I hvae no idea about the rest.

Any help is madly appreciated!!!

Vernikova

Banned
Years
Try this. Watch them after the episode listed and you'll probably be fine.

Mewtwo Strikes Back - After "The Case of the K-9 Caper"
The Power of One - After "Charizard Chills"
Spell of the Unown - After "Fowl Play"
Celebi: Voice of the Forest - After "Kecleon Caper"
Heroes - After "Just Add Water"
Jirachi Wish Maker - After "Having a Wailord of a Time"
Destiny Deoxys - After "Sky High Gym Battle"
Lucario and the Mystery of Mew - After "A Real Cleffa-Hanger"
Ranger and the Temple of the Sea - After "Aipom and the Circumstance"
Rise of Darkrai - After "Steamboat Willies"
Giratina and the Sky Warrior - After "Arriving in Style"
Arceus and the Jewel of Life - After "Beating the Bustle and Hustle"

Years
Try this. Watch them after the episode listed and you'll probably be fine.

Mewtwo Strikes Back - After "The Case of the K-9 Caper"
The Power of One - After "Charizard Chills"
Spell of the Unown - After "Fowl Play"
Celebi: Voice of the Forest - After "Kecleon Caper"
Heroes - After "Just Add Water"
Jirachi Wish Maker - After "Having a Wailord of a Time"
Destiny Deoxys - After "Sky High Gym Battle"
Lucario and the Mystery of Mew - After "A Real Cleffa-Hanger"
Ranger and the Temple of the Sea - After "Aipom and the Circumstance"
Rise of Darkrai - After "Steamboat Willies"
Giratina and the Sky Warrior - After "Arriving in Style"
Arceus and the Jewel of Life - After "Beating the Bustle and Hustle"

Thank you so much (:

sorry to hassle you (or anyone else further) but where does Mewtwo Returns fit in?

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2011
pokemon episodes

hello, question why are some of the episodes in the first season in a weird order like after charizard evolves you see charmander later?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Could you give an episode of when this actually happened? Maybe you are thinking of Richie's Charmander(Zippo)? And the reason some episodes seem out of order is because some episodes got banned or were not shown in America and other countries outside of Japan. There was also a Charmander appearance in episode 056 - The Ultimate Test and 057 - The Breeding Center Secret, but they are not Ash's. I think you may be getting others confused with Ash's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back