Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 2nd, 2011 (03:30 PM).
Nimblethumbs
my name would look hot in bold

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Chesu:

Winter and Spring versions of Snakeason. I'll work on the other two and edit these to look less... horrible, after I've done more research on B/W shading and colors. I just don't get the outlining methods at all.

Also, Summer and Autumn will look more intimidating; a cold snake is a listless snake, and I didn't really have any ideas for the Spring version's expression.
Heh, it looks bored. Mebbe give it large fangs and an angled head to make it hostile.
Old January 2nd, 2011 (03:40 PM).
Chesu
Boss Carrot

Quote originally posted by Nimblethumbs:
Heh, it looks bored. Mebbe give it large fangs and an angled head to make it hostile.
I'm not trying to make either of these look hostile; snakes usually hibernate in the winter, so a snake that's active during the winter would be understandably pathetic. The Spring version isn't up to full power, as its flower hasn't blossomed, so I was trying to reflect that. Have it protecting its tail, etc.

I have been thinking about fangs, though. Maybe small ones for Spring, large ones for Summer, moderate ones for Autumn. I also wanted each one to have an interesting feature other than the color scheme and tail, but I haven't thought of what it could be yet. I'm far from done, in any case, and I'm going to fix the Spring version's too-light-too-soft colors after looking into B/W sprites some more.

Updated 11/07/10.
Old January 2nd, 2011 (04:02 PM). Edited January 2nd, 2011 by tnguye3.
tnguye3
Very, very, very lazy spriter.

BW Sprites seem to have more contrasting shades and more darker outlines from what I can tell. O_O
Anyways:

Name: Bambear
Type: Fighting
Pokedex: Bambear is constantly training itself in the wild to become stronger, it is also a popular pokemon, because of its appearance.
Abilities: Guts
Description: A cute, small panda with a belt on.
EDIT: Removed highlights

My smallest sprite ever made!!! Woooot!
.................and prolly my worst, lol... xD

Anyways, feel free to pimp it.
Old January 2nd, 2011 (04:24 PM).
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

True, the Spring Snakeason should have some black outline. There's a lot of black outline in the B/W style.
Old January 2nd, 2011 (04:27 PM).
dinosaurodon
RAWR

Nature: Bashful
IMO bambear should be fighting/grass (bamboo+bear) I mean bamboo is the only thing they eat, it would effect them sooner or later :/ Hey! maybe it could have a bamboo staff
Old January 2nd, 2011 (04:32 PM).
Nimblethumbs

Quote originally posted by dinosaurodon:
IMO bambear should be fighting/grass (bamboo+bear) I mean bamboo is the only thing they eat, it would effect them sooner or later :/ Hey! maybe it could have a bamboo staff
It's evolutions do I think.
Old January 2nd, 2011 (04:38 PM).
tnguye3

Quote originally posted by dinosaurodon:
The next evolutions are meant to have bamboo staffs. Also it's Pokemon so it doesn't necessarily have to have the exact characteristics of the real animal e.g. Sea Horses don't breathe fire. xD

Anyways, refer to the first page of the thread for more info on this Poke. I believe it's under Karpman's suggested idea bit.
Old January 2nd, 2011 (04:47 PM).
Chesu
Boss Carrot

I noticed the black outline thing... but I really don't see a correlation between the different instances in which it's used. So, I'm still looking into it.

Updated 11/07/10.
Old January 2nd, 2011 (05:10 PM).
tnguye3

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=6376332

There are sprite comparisons between the generations here. Might help.
Old January 2nd, 2011 (07:27 PM).
Quilava's Master
Shattered Dreams '13

Nature: Adamant
Name: Azula
Etymology: Azul is blue is spanish.
Species: Blue Jay
Class: Sleek Feather
Type/s: Normal/Flying
Pokédex Entry: Azula love to glide across ponds. Not only does it do this to catch food but also to add shimmer to it's amazingly sleek blue feathers.
Ability/ies: Keen Eye/Damp
Description: It's a simple small blue-jay. Blue in color and a white face. It has three long feathers flowing from the back of it's head (much like pidgeot). It's eyes are red and it's feet are the same color as Articuno's.

Name: Soarouge
Etymology: Soar and Rouge (Red in French)
Species: Cardinal
Class: Showoff
Pokédex Entry: Soarouge love to fly into the city where people can admire it's flaming red wings. It is in constant competition with Azula for attention.
Ability/ies: Keen Eye/Cute Charm
Description: It's a small red cardinal. Red body white face. Three long red feathers coming from its head. Unlike Azula it is sort of short and stout.
Old January 3rd, 2011 (01:33 AM).
n0rul3s
Exploring Unova....

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Yahoo to n0rul3s Send a message via Skype™ to n0rul3s

Name: Darrow
Etymology: from Dark and Crow
Species: Assasin Bird
Class: Killer
Type/s: Dark/Flying
Pokédex Entry: It stays in caves but it goes out only when the moon it`s full.
Ability/ies: Keen Eye/Pick Up
Description:Darrow is a strange bird with black and white feathers and a long beak just lika a toucan`s.
Old January 3rd, 2011 (09:00 AM).
The 100 Mega Shock
Donator Tier 3

Quote originally posted by Chesu:
I noticed the black outline thing... but I really don't see a correlation between the different instances in which it's used. So, I'm still looking into it.
As a rule of thumb, sprites in the Gen V style use a black and darker outline colours in greater amounts. The general outline colouring and shading in general also differs from Gen IV style. Often there's less use of shading in general.
Old January 3rd, 2011 (09:24 AM).
Andrut
Collecting dust since 1898

@Chesu
Even though i'm not a creator,even though they are pretty nice designs,they are also too large. Compare them with size of other sprites.
It's around the size of Reshiram,Zekrom or Kyurem,and its tangled up,making it even bigger than Wailord when "unknotted".
It's a forest guardian that pities how bad a type Grass is, so it gets moves to help out Grass-types, but is smart enough not to be Grass-type itself. The appearance is simply mimicry to hide from humans.
Old January 3rd, 2011 (03:11 PM).
Chesu
Boss Carrot

Quote originally posted by xoax:
Compare them with size of other sprites.
It's around the size of Reshiram,Zekrom or Kyurem,and its tangled up,making it even bigger than Wailord when "unknotted".
It's not 'tangled up', it's coiled. XD

I don't know why, but the idea of a tangled up snake is hilarious. Anyway, that's the only snake pose that won't make it look like an existing Pokemon, as it hasn't been used since the original games. In regard to the size, it takes up about the same space as tnguye3's Swampike. Uncoiled, my Snakeason WOULD be longer than Wailord's sprite, but that doesn't mean anything; Wailord is forty-seven feet long, while Azurill is eight inches tall.

Pokemon come in such different sizes that it would be impossible to accurately depict with sprites like these. I would say that my Snakeason is around thirty feet long, which is how big the type of snake I based it on gets. If anyone thinks its too big for a standalone species, they can make a baby form or something.

Updated 11/07/10.
Old January 3rd, 2011 (03:50 PM).
Nimblethumbs

Well, for blaydyte, it looks good as it is. So maybe that could be a final sprite and Ice could edit the description so the tail-attached to body thing is gone. And the horn not suitable for combat thing. The horn looks too epic.
Old January 3rd, 2011 (11:16 PM).
Samson
no, i don't know milk drink

Send a message via AIM to Samson Send a message via Yahoo to Samson
ooh lovin the concepts/names for the bambear line. might have to get some sketches goin.

[FONT="Calibri"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="gray"]FC: 3497 0883 2077
[/URL]
Old January 4th, 2011 (11:14 AM).
blackmoonflower
You won't like me if I'm angry

Nature: Quiet
I feel like I was ignored... T.T

Quote originally posted by blackmoonflower:
Did someone mention fighting Pokémon?

Name: Bunpaw
Etymology: Bunny+paw
Species: Rabbit
Class: The Big Paw Pokémon
Type/s: Fighting
Pokédex Entry: This Pokémon's large paws act as boxing gloves. It loves to play-fight with other Pokémon to prove its strength.
Ability/ies: Guts/Limber
Description: 1st stage fighting rabbit

Name: Jackapaw
Etymology: Jackalope+paw
Species: Jackalope
Class: The Punching Pokémon
Type/s: Fighting
Pokédex Entry: Jackapaw spends most of its time practicing punches. Fallen trees and broken boulders are common signs of its training.
Ability/ies: Guts/Limber
Description: Evolution of Bunpaw

Any comments at all? I want to make sure they look good before Ice comes back.

<dA <Pixel thread <Etsy
Old January 4th, 2011 (11:34 AM). Edited January 4th, 2011 by tnguye3.
tnguye3

@blackmoonflower

IMO the sprites are good, just that the dithering on bunpaw's belly seems awkward (as in not curved enough) and the shading on Jackapaw's left leg (our right) makes his leg look weird as in bent in the wrong way.

Other than that it looks great.

Quote originally posted by Poketto-Monsuta:

I tried revamping my gsc sprites. The Wombat's evo (prehistoric wombat called Diprotodon )
And the two Kangeroo-Lemurs or whatever I was going for at the time. I need a little help with shading.

Name Diprokun, Fisey, and Flaroo (I know they suck...)
I also think this hasn't been given enough attention? These are realy good IMO.
Old January 4th, 2011 (12:11 PM).
blackmoonflower

Dithering is not my specialty. >.> And I was using Dageki as reference, but I tried fixing those problems.

As for Poketta's, the fur ends on the rear and its front right arm (our left) look odd to me on the wombat. Fisey doesn't look like it has enough contrast between colors, same with Flaroo, but I'm rather fond of how the latter looks.

EDIT: photobucket takes forever to update new pics..... -.-

<dA <Pixel thread <Etsy
Old January 4th, 2011 (12:28 PM).
tnguye3

@blackmoonflower

Yeah I agree with what you said about Poketta's sprites. I also prefer his GCS version of Fisey as it looks cuter imo.
Anyways, about your sprites I also realised you do a lot of dotting especially on your Jackapaw. His paws and feet have this unfinished feel of outline on him but that's just my opinion.

Anyways what's Dageki? O_o
The one I know is an online Polish shop selling Japanese goods.... xD
Old January 4th, 2011 (12:41 PM).
Esper

Continuing work on that vampire flamingo (Vamingo?). I think it's turning out nicely.

Also I thought I would throw out this other sprite I'd fiddling with even though it's not based on anyone's ideas. I'd thought I'd make some kind of ghostly seed, or something, one that could evolve into some kind of ghostly tree. Or maybe a shrubbery.

Quote originally posted by tnguye3:
Anyways what's Dageki? O_o
The one I know is an online Polish shop selling Japanese goods.... xD
Dageki's one of the new Gen V pokemon.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 4th, 2011 (12:47 PM).
blackmoonflower

Those look really nice, Scarf. I especially like the ghost seed. It looks adorable. xD

Okay so, comparison.

Which is better?

<dA <Pixel thread <Etsy
Old January 4th, 2011 (12:52 PM).
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
BW Sprites seem to have more contrasting shades and more darker outlines from what I can tell. O_O
Anyways:

Name: Bambear
Type: Fighting
Pokedex: Bambear is constantly training itself in the wild to become stronger, it is also a popular pokemon, because of its appearance.
Abilities: Guts
Description: A cute, small panda with a belt on.
EDIT: Removed highlights

My smallest sprite ever made!!! Woooot!
.................and prolly my worst, lol... xD

Anyways, feel free to pimp it.
Addedededed!

Quote originally posted by Quilava's Master:
Name: Azula
Etymology: Azul is blue is spanish.
Species: Blue Jay
Class: Sleek Feather
Pokédex Entry: Azula love to glide across ponds. Not only does it do this to catch food but also to add shimmer to it's amazingly sleek blue feathers.
Ability/ies: Keen Eye/Damp
Description: It's a simple small blue-jay. Blue in color and a white face. It has three long feathers flowing from the back of it's head (much like pidgeot). It's eyes are red and it's feet are the same color as Articuno's.

Name: Soarouge
Etymology: Soar and Rouge (Red in French)
Species: Cardinal
Class: Showoff
Pokédex Entry: Soarouge love to fly into the city where people can admire it's flaming red wings. It is in constant competition with Azula for attention.
Ability/ies: Keen Eye/Cute Charm
Description: It's a small red cardinal. Red body white face. Three long red feathers coming from its head. Unlike Azula it is sort of short and stout.
Please, please, please check the first post.

Quote originally posted by n0rul3s:

Name: Darrow
Etymology: from Dark and Crow
Species: Assasin Bird
Class: Killer
Type/s: Dark/Flying
Pokédex Entry: It stays in caves but it goes out only when the moon it`s full.
Ability/ies: Keen Eye/Pick Up
Description:Darrow is a strange bird with black and white feathers and a long beak just lika a toucan`s.
Again, please read the first post.

I also think this hasn't been given enough attention? These are realy good IMO.
They are great, but I have said that for now we should concentrate on the concepts we've got on the first post before adding more and more ideas.

Quote originally posted by blackmoonflower:
Dithering is not my specialty. >.> And I was using Dageki as reference, but I tried fixing those problems.

As for Poketta's, the fur ends on the rear and its front right arm (our left) look odd to me on the wombat. Fisey doesn't look like it has enough contrast between colors, same with Flaroo, but I'm rather fond of how the latter looks. :)

EDIT: photobucket takes forever to update new pics..... -.-
Added.

Quote originally posted by Scarf:
Continuing work on that vampire flamingo (Vamingo?). I think it's turning out nicely.

Also I thought I would throw out this other sprite I'd fiddling with even though it's not based on anyone's ideas. I'd thought I'd make some kind of ghostly seed, or something, one that could evolve into some kind of ghostly tree. Or maybe a shrubbery.

Dageki's one of the new Gen V pokemon.
I've added Vamingo/Flamincula to the first post, though for now I'll omit the seed dude for reasons mentioned before.
Old January 4th, 2011 (01:05 PM).
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
Okay, wait, can we just make sprite up on the spot or do we have to use ideas by other members in the first post?

Old January 4th, 2011 (01:09 PM).
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
For now, we're using ideas posted in the first post. Most of them are pretty vague though, so you'll have quite a bit of creative freedom. :D

Sponsored Links