The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #851    
Old January 5th, 2011, 07:34 PM
myrrhman's Avatar
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavile05 View Post
I'll join, and attempt to do a Monotype. I'm pretty decent at those (as soon as I can figure out how to beat the Johto E4 that is...lol)
But that's not that hard... Just get someone that can learn the punches. Duo/Trio with them and you'll be very highly leveled.
Reply With Quote
  #852    
Old January 5th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Enigma's Avatar
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Nature: Hardy
Got White to work. 8D Which means I can continue on Pearl without anything bothering me.
slaps herself so she posts the thread /finally did it. 8D
__________________

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"

Last edited by Enigma; January 5th, 2011 at 09:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #853    
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:37 AM
myrrhman's Avatar
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Inferno hurt herself in confusion!

But yeah, Karpman and I were talking on AIM and these were the general agreements we came up with (a lot of these ideas we've already discussed, but now it looks a little prettier)

  • There would be two teams with balanced members on each side. A committee (set up here, soon) will check and balance the teams out.
  • Once the teams are set up, we will move on to a draft. Selections would be based off of families, not individual Pokemon. I think there are around 290 families of Pokemon, and I imagined somewhere around 10 families per person, which would allow up to 29 participants. If we have more than that, I think we should do an upper (more experienced) division and a lower (less experienced) division. The two teams would stay the same, just for the selection of Pokemon, you are put into divisions.
  • For the draft, Pokemon will be arranged based on how good they are, and assigned a number ranging from something like 1-5. During the draft, there will be a number (subject to change, but I say something around 30) that cannot be exceeded with your 10 pokemon. This way, certain teams won't be too much better than other teams. It will be more about diversity over pure power.
  • After all the Pokemon are distributed, a new sign up sheet is introduced. This will have a certain number of monotypes, solo challenges, Nuzlockes, etc. for the team members to sign up for. They will not know this/have access to this list until they pick Pokemon, so they can't really plan on making certain teams for every challenge, because they won't know exactly how many of each challenge there will be.
  • After each team has signed up on the second sheet, you will "race" by in game time on livestream. The first person to finish the challenge wins points for their team. Certain "harder" challenges will be worth more points than the "easier" challenges. If the person you are racing does not do their challenge in a certain amount of time, they are disqualified and you win by default.
For the point totals, Karpman and I are planning on each making a rough draft of what we think the values should be, and then comparing notes. You guys can join in if you want. What do you think about the whole thing?
Reply With Quote
  #854    
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:47 AM
stargate1995's Avatar
stargate1995
Mr. Flying Pickle Monster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wouldn't you like to know >.>
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrhman View Post
Inferno hurt herself in confusion!

But yeah, Karpman and I were talking on AIM and these were the general agreements we came up with (a lot of these ideas we've already discussed, but now it looks a little prettier)

  • There would be two teams with balanced members on each side. A committee (set up here, soon) will check and balance the teams out.
  • Once the teams are set up, we will move on to a draft. Selections would be based off of families, not individual Pokemon. I think there are around 290 families of Pokemon, and I imagined somewhere around 10 families per person, which would allow up to 29 participants. If we have more than that, I think we should do an upper (more experienced) division and a lower (less experienced) division. The two teams would stay the same, just for the selection of Pokemon, you are put into divisions.
  • For the draft, Pokemon will be arranged based on how good they are, and assigned a number ranging from something like 1-5. During the draft, there will be a number (subject to change, but I say something around 30) that cannot be exceeded with your 10 pokemon. This way, certain teams won't be too much better than other teams. It will be more about diversity over pure power.
  • After all the Pokemon are distributed, a new sign up sheet is introduced. This will have a certain number of monotypes, solo challenges, Nuzlockes, etc. for the team members to sign up for. They will not know this/have access to this list until they pick Pokemon, so they can't really plan on making certain teams for every challenge, because they won't know exactly how many of each challenge there will be.
  • After each team has signed up on the second sheet, you will "race" by in game time on livestream. The first person to finish the challenge wins points for their team. Certain "harder" challenges will be worth more points than the "easier" challenges. If the person you are racing does not do their challenge in a certain amount of time, they are disqualified and you win by default.
For the point totals, Karpman and I are planning on each making a rough draft of what we think the values should be, and then comparing notes. You guys can join in if you want. What do you think about the whole thing?
Hmm this sounds good, but will there be certain rules about the 2x speed button on emulators, or will we not even be allowed emulators? Anyway I'm a bit confused about the live stream stuff seen as I've never used it.

Just a question, Say I join up to a solo challenge and am assigned with the following families:
Bulbusaur-Venusuar, Growlithe-Arcanine, Ryhdon-Rhyperior, Dratini-Dragonite, Hoppip-Jumpluff, Unown, Wurmple-Dustox/Beautifly, Feebas-Milotic, Gible-Garchomp and Dokkora-Roopushin.
I then pick to solo with Bulbasaur through Venusuar, once I have finished the first challenge if I do another challenge am I limited to the pokemon that I have already been given, the same pokemon as I used before or am I given a completely new set of pokemon?
__________________
Completed challenges:

Ultimate solo run with Kabutops


Current challenges:
Ultimate solo run with Nidoking, [K][J][H][S][U]
Black part of solo rune with Kabutops


Evidently I like solo challenges

Metagross and salamence fan
Reply With Quote
  #855    
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:59 AM
chaos11011's Avatar
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brasil
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chaos11011
So wait, for people on Nuzlocke how will that work? If a certain group (or person) has 10 families, will you start off the game with those 10, or will you still have to take the chance of "not find the Pokemon on the First encounter" or will you have infinate times to catch that Pokeon, but capture that Pokemon once.
Reply With Quote
  #856    
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Alternative's Avatar
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
I have a question for you challengers.
I'm seriously considering pulling out my old GBA (yes, that old dusty thing) and playing through my game of Ruby again. I want to partake in a challenge when I play through this time, instead of my standard Swampert/Torkoal/Tropius run. What challenge would you people recommend for one who only vaguely remembers the layout of Hoenn?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #857    
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:36 AM
chaos11011's Avatar
chaos11011
Habunake, Bite!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brasil
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chaos11011
Nuzlocke and Monotypes are the best.

If you want more spice go for the Survival Challenge.
Reply With Quote
  #858    
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:42 AM
myrrhman's Avatar
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate1995 View Post
Hmm this sounds good, but will there be certain rules about the 2x speed button on emulators, or will we not even be allowed emulators? Anyway I'm a bit confused about the live stream stuff seen as I've never used it.

Just a question, Say I join up to a solo challenge and am assigned with the following families:
Bulbusaur-Venusuar, Growlithe-Arcanine, Ryhdon-Rhyperior, Dratini-Dragonite, Hoppip-Jumpluff, Unown, Wurmple-Dustox/Beautifly, Feebas-Milotic, Gible-Garchomp and Dokkora-Roopushin.
I then pick to solo with Bulbasaur through Venusuar, once I have finished the first challenge if I do another challenge am I limited to the pokemon that I have already been given, the same pokemon as I used before or am I given a completely new set of pokemon?
We might not even need to care about the 2x speed. Since we're going with in game time (At least I think we should), if you use the speed button, that will only hurt your time if you hit a wall.

I thought that it would be more like everyone just has one or two challenges to do. That way, the number of challenges completed stays the same and makes it easier on the committee to see who won.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos11011 View Post
So wait, for people on Nuzlocke how will that work? If a certain group (or person) has 10 families, will you start off the game with those 10, or will you still have to take the chance of "not find the Pokemon on the First encounter" or will you have infinate times to catch that Pokemon, but capture that Pokemon once.
I was thinking about that. I'm thinking that if you're doing a Nuzlocke, since the Nuzlocke challenge basically completely goes against this challenge, if you end up picking Nuzlocke for your challenge, the Pokemon that you use for the draft just don't matter. That's still okay if we choose to have everyone do two challenges each, because then you can pick a Nuzlocke and a non Nuzlocke and still need the Pokemon you picked. If we only do one challenge per person, then you probably want to pick worse Pokemon, because your team would need the better ones. I've also thought about breaking the draft instead of a free for all and going against everyone, breaking into teams and each team gets to choose through all the Pokemon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
I have a question for you challengers.
I'm seriously considering pulling out my old GBA (yes, that old dusty thing) and playing through my game of Ruby again. I want to partake in a challenge when I play through this time, instead of my standard Swampert/Torkoal/Tropius run. What challenge would you people recommend for one who only vaguely remembers the layout of Hoenn?
Hmmm, well Nuzlocke would always be fun, especially if you don't remember the region very well. Honestly, I would stay away from a solo, because I always want to use Swampert (he's just so good, what can I say?) You might want to try a monotype to force yourself to use more than just Swampert, or pick a type that's not water or ground.
Reply With Quote
  #859    
Old January 6th, 2011, 11:55 AM
560cool.'s Avatar
560cool.
Probably back.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eastern Europe
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
I really do think we should use myrrh's idea as a Challenge Get-Together. Like I mentioned before, this could help gain more members to our community, making Challenges an important forum. 8) hooray !
__________________
Well, okay. I'm here just to chat with people. Don't really care about signatures and stuff.



Reply With Quote
  #860    
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Exile's Avatar
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rayners Lane
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate1995 View Post
Hmm this sounds good, but will there be certain rules about the 2x speed button on emulators, or will we not even be allowed emulators? Anyway I'm a bit confused about the live stream stuff seen as I've never used it.

Just a question, Say I join up to a solo challenge and am assigned with the following families:
Bulbusaur-Venusuar, Growlithe-Arcanine, Ryhdon-Rhyperior, Dratini-Dragonite, Hoppip-Jumpluff, Unown, Wurmple-Dustox/Beautifly, Feebas-Milotic, Gible-Garchomp and Dokkora-Roopushin.
I then pick to solo with Bulbasaur through Venusuar, once I have finished the first challenge if I do another challenge am I limited to the pokemon that I have already been given, the same pokemon as I used before or am I given a completely new set of pokemon?
I brought up the idea that all challenges should be done on a Universal SS ROM with all trade/sinnoh evos enabled to happen by level/happiness, whilst talking with Myrrh. The challenges will be done on Livestream with a Host watching (if one of the hosts are busy we can find a replacement supervisor) and any cheaters will be barred from further participation.
Reply With Quote
  #861    
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:27 PM
560cool.'s Avatar
560cool.
Probably back.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eastern Europe
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpman View Post
I brought up the idea that all challenges should be done on a Universal SS ROM with all trade/sinnoh evos enabled to happen by level/happiness, whilst talking with Myrrh. The challenges will be done on Livestream with a Host watching (if one of the hosts are busy we can find a replacement supervisor) and any cheaters will be barred from further participation.
Maybe some people have pretty weak machines (or netbooks...) and can't run a DS ROM properly. I think that people should decide whether they want Gen I or V, or anything inbetween (spelled it wrong, I think >.<).
__________________
Well, okay. I'm here just to chat with people. Don't really care about signatures and stuff.



Reply With Quote
  #862    
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:44 PM
jdthebud's Avatar
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington, USA
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 560cool. View Post
Maybe some people have pretty weak machines (or netbooks...) and can't run a DS ROM properly. I think that people should decide whether they want Gen I or V, or anything inbetween (spelled it wrong, I think >.<).
Also, a lot of the HG/SS roms are broken. I still have a freezing issue on mine. I got used to it (save a lot, exit the emulator instead of resetting to overwrite the save file), but for those who haven't played on a rom, this would cause major frustration. I also agree with 560cool on the comp issue.

I think we should have different generations up for grabs as well. I would try and get Blue because that's the only cartridge I have. Everything else is on my comp, and if I tried to play Red or Yellow, the speed button would totally mess me up - gotta assign something like the end button of something lol.

Why not try and see if we can do multiple generations/regions? There's more variety that way, and you can split the families based on game availability as well.
__________________
Active Challenges:

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:


Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Reply With Quote
  #863    
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Exile's Avatar
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rayners Lane
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
I'd really like to keep it in one generation, it being the 4th one.
It has a good variety of Pokemon to choose from and I can use an evo editor without a Windows 7 .ocx error.
I'll talk it over with Myrrh.
Reply With Quote
  #864    
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:32 PM
myrrhman's Avatar
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
We should make it multiple generations. For a lot of people like myself, challenges can be done on many different generations. They should probably sign up on the sign up sheet last, because they can be placed wherever needed.

I think Karpman's idea of universal games potentially work, but I'd like to try to stay away from that. You can still trade on ROMs with various methods (TGB, VBA link) and no challenge requires you to trade, so I feel that if you want a Pokemon that evolves via trade, you should get the emulator yourself.

As far as later generations (IV and V), if you want to use them and can't find a good ROM for them, but sign up for the challenge anyways, tough cookies. You still have a month to find a good ROM.

I guess the next step here is to determine how many people need to be on the committee.
Reply With Quote
  #865    
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:35 PM
649's Avatar
649
The Lord of Smug
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
A Specialist in each challenge, a moderator (Sydian, of course), and several hosts. Maybe some monitors/judges. These are my ideas. Also, are we going to do challenges other than Solo, Nuzlocke, and Monotypes? Or is that definitely it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #866    
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:54 PM
myrrhman's Avatar
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
I'd like to do some speedruns, where game time doesn't matter but real time does (so basically tape down your speed button). I also want to do more challenges, but I'm starting to draw blanks here. Any help?

And yes, I think that's an appropriate sized committee.
Reply With Quote
  #867    
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:56 PM
649's Avatar
649
The Lord of Smug
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
I was thinking of the random challenge, but that varies from people to people, and doesn't fit in with the specific family clause.

What about the egg swap challenge, mentioned a while back? We can prohibit any "useless" eggs. It's also a fitting event challenge.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #868    
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Exile's Avatar
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rayners Lane
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
I guess Multiple gens are ok, but they would just limit your use of the Pokemon you select in the draft.
@649, we'll probably need some help monitoring challengers.
Reply With Quote
  #869    
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:20 PM
stargate1995's Avatar
stargate1995
Mr. Flying Pickle Monster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wouldn't you like to know >.>
Nature: Calm
Multiple gens would help alot seen as I'm sure it's not just me who has problems emulating ds games thanks to owning a mac, anyway I find the gba games alot better to challenge(fast forward button :D). If only there was a way to screen record on a flash card.
__________________
Completed challenges:

Ultimate solo run with Kabutops


Current challenges:
Ultimate solo run with Nidoking, [K][J][H][S][U]
Black part of solo rune with Kabutops


Evidently I like solo challenges

Metagross and salamence fan
Reply With Quote
  #870    
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Sydian's Avatar
Sydian
you burn with us
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
I probably won't participate, but yes, events do need a moderator, and I have no problem in doing so. I didn't really feel like reading everything because I didn't want my brain to explode, so I don't know if this has been said, but are we planning on doing this at the beginning of summer or for the get-together? Cause personally, I would rather have it during the get-together this year since last year our plans for having a challenge in the GT didn't work out too well. And since this is a big event, we don't need an event every month or two like discussed in the ideas thread for this year. I should probably lock that now since we know what we're going to do. lol

I also have a little something planned for next month. Not too big, kinda of minor and silly considering it's a Valentine's Day thing, but it's more of a pilot than anything. And no, I'm not telling you what it is. 8) Just know it's nothing long and drawn out, and it's very simple and doesn't require starting a new game unless you want to.
__________________
Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be
If we met at midnight in the hanging tree

paired to peeta
Reply With Quote
  #871    
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:24 PM
myrrhman's Avatar
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Is it a race to get a Luvdisc/Smoochum?

And yeah, I think that would be awesome, doing it in the get together. But, I think we should hold a small one sooner, just to test it to see if it runs smoothly.
Reply With Quote
  #872    
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Sydian's Avatar
Sydian
you burn with us
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
Get togethers are normally in August, so obviously we don't want it during a month touching that. And then there will be something next month. So...I'm thinking the best months for that would be April, May, or June? (I typed Mary instead of May for a second. Dunno what I was thinking.)

And no, it's not a race! XD
__________________
Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be
If we met at midnight in the hanging tree

paired to peeta
Reply With Quote
  #873    
Old January 6th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Alternative's Avatar
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
I think I have a challenge in mind for myself, which is similar to the monotype challenge, but a little different.
Hm... how do I explain this... Well, Let's say I start out with Mudkip, which evolves into Swampert, a water/ground type. My next pokemon would have to have either one of those types. Next, I would use a Wingull, which is Water/Flying. now I would have to choose either a water or flying type Pokemon as my next one, such as Taillow.

tl;dr You have to use a Pokemon with at least one type in common with the last Pokemon you choose to train.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #874    
Old January 7th, 2011, 12:24 AM
jdthebud's Avatar
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington, USA
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
What would one have to do to be a part of the initial test for the draft thingy - what is the name of it, anyway? 8D
__________________
Active Challenges:

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:


Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Reply With Quote
  #875    
Old January 7th, 2011, 01:06 AM
myrrhman's Avatar
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
I like that idea, alternative. You can, however, with your rules, do a monotype challenge. So, I'd put something in the rules about you can only use the same type 3 times in a row or something, to prevent this.

jd, we'll eventually have a thread for it or something for it. Just stay on PC and you'll see it.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.