The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:14 PM
JakeyBoy
Riddle me this

Nature: Naughty
I think I saw that. He did something to do with the doors, right? Gonna go watch it again.
Yep, ok, that's what I was thinking of. If this was in the English versions I'd be known better, it's pretty interesting.

Last edited by JakeyBoy; January 1st, 2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old January 1st, 2011, 06:23 PM
draco256
Beginning Trainer

the mew glitch really exist?!
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:58 PM
The 100 Mega Shock
Donator Tier 3

uh yes, yes it does.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:23 AM
Haowakeorden
Gym Leader

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by draco256 View Post
the mew glitch really exist?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 100 Mega Shock View Post
Pretty interesting, actually, because around the time the glitch was first discovered, someone actually contacted Nintendo/Game Freak/whoever and asked if it was real. The official word was that it wasn't a real glitch.
Of course, now we have solid proof.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
mew_nani
Flying out of the sun...

Nature: Brave
I haven't tried the Mew Glitch, but I have caught Mew with the Ditto Glitch, an extention of thed Mew Glitch. If memory serves me right you can do it like this:

1. Find a trainer you haven't battled yet that will walk to you.
2. Go up until you are 1 step beyond the point where he/she sees you. Basically that translates to stand at the point where, if you are at the corner of the route left of Fushia City (I forgot the route number...) you have to be at the point where if you go one step down, the trainer will be directly below you at the bottom of the screen. At this point, you might want to save if you are not good at the following step:
3. Go down one step. At the same time press the START button. That way you will be standing in front of the trainer you are using with the menu up. Go to the pokemon screen and use your Flying and or Digging Pokemon (if you're in a dungeon, like Mt. Moon.) and fly\dig away. (an Escape Rope works fine in dungeons too.) If you did it right an exclamation point will pop up before you fly away.
4. find a trainer you can battle. Make sure said trainer has to walk to you, or the game will freeze. At this point the menu won't pop up if you press START. Battle this trainer.
5. Find a wild ditto. Make sure the ditto uses Transform on the Pokemon who's Special Stat you are using as the modifier, then run. (if you want Mew, have a Pokemon with a Special Stat of 21.)
6. Walk back to the trainer you flew away from at step 1. Make sure you don't run into any wild Pokemon. When you get there, the menu will pop up suddenly. Exit the menu, and a wild battle will start. If you used a Special Stat of 21, Mew will appear.

That was a sucky tutorial... look on Youtube for more details... -.-

(press SPACE to continue.)
I support

By DarkDoom3000.
-The Vending Machine (Click me please!)-
-Let's Play/Torture/Screw Around With: Pokémon Red Version!
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:21 PM
PatJamma
♪I can hear my heart bell♪

Nature: Relaxed
you all are boring! posting almost the same glitch over and over I'ma post something new!
In Crystal version (yes Crystal not r/b/g/y or even g/s) after my battery in my gba died during a trade (sometime at one of the important parts) I walked outside the pokemon center and walked in the grass and found some form of MissingNo. This MissingNo. was poisoned (or was it paralyzed?), had the cry of Espeon (Or maybe it was in part of it's name, I don't remember it was 7 or more years ago) , and when I did selected anything it said "waiting for your friend" message as if it was a link battle. It was later solved by trading pokemon. Weirdest glitch ever.
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:43 PM
mew_nani
Flying out of the sun...

Sorry... I (And possibly everyone else) was positing some of them for those that didn't know how to do them...
Neat glitch, though! What did it look like?

I support

By DarkDoom3000.
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:47 PM
PatJamma

hmm if memory serves me right it was a black and white box with a bunch of jumbled text (no building pieces like most MissingNo. if I remember correctly) making up its body and had a huge health bar, long jumbled name, and I believe it was level 100 (or even higher) even though I was north of Cherrygrove City
Old January 8th, 2011, 12:15 PM
mew_nani
Flying out of the sun...

Hmm.... Big white/black box... jumbled text... Level 100, poisoned... huge health bar... do you remember what the name was? Most glitch Pokemon in Crystal, Gold, or Silver versions have question marks in the name (Five question marks, mostly, like ?????.) with the exception of Egg, which is... well... an egg. (Before I should continue... there are five known glitch Pokemon in G/S/C, four of which are placeholders, and one used for Eggs. The placeholders are known as ?????.)
If it has that name, did you look in the menu during or before you battled it?
????? borrows other graphical tiles form the game to make up it's battle sprite, so it will change from a garbled up building to a garbled up version of the item menu if you look at it during the battle. (I'm not sure if that works if you look at the items menu just before the battle...)
If it doesn't have ????? in the name... I have no idea what the heck it might be. You might have stumbled across something totally new here!

I support

By DarkDoom3000.
Old January 8th, 2011, 02:06 PM
PatJamma

I guess I found something "new" because it's name was not ????? it's name was a jumbled mess of text and I looked at every glitch pokemon on bulbapedia and none of them looked exactly like the one I found
Old January 8th, 2011, 03:22 PM
JakeyBoy
Riddle me this

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJamma View Post
I guess I found something "new" because it's name was not ????? it's name was a jumbled mess of text and I looked at every glitch pokemon on bulbapedia and none of them looked exactly like the one I found
At this stage, I think finding any new glitch Pokemon is next to impossible, unless something messes up the memory completely. And there aren't any set sprites for Gen 2 glitch Pokemon, they use the last tileset loaded into memory. The ones on Bulbapedia aren't the only sprites they can have.
Old January 8th, 2011, 11:07 PM
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

Nature: Jolly
I have a small question. I'm trying to get a Pokemon's special stat to 194 to encounter .4 again but I can't. My Mew's special is 192 but every time it levels up it goes to 195. How do I get it to 194 instead of 195?

Yay my username is accurate now! Also holy crap I just realized Unbeatable was misspelled for the longest time! Fixed. xp

Times I've been ninja'd: 17
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Professor Cactus
Psychic

Nature: Lonely
There's items that when you use them on a pokemon, it causes a stat to go up, such as HP UP (hp), PROTEIN (attack), CALCIUM (defense), etc. I forgot which item raises special.

Last edited by Professor Cactus; January 9th, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:43 AM
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

Nature: Jolly
In the 1st gen? Leveling up usually raises the stat by 2-3, but it keeps going up by three when it levels up. How do I make it raise by only 2?

Yay my username is accurate now! Also holy crap I just realized Unbeatable was misspelled for the longest time! Fixed. xp

Times I've been ninja'd: 17
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Professor Cactus
Psychic

The 2 glitches I'm most interested about are the laser-vision and forced shiny ditto glitches.

I heard that if you pick the water pokemon in gen II (I forget how to spell the name of it), there's a small chance that its leer will glitch up and act as a 1hKO attack instead of lowing the opponent's defense.

Also, I heard there's a way to force a ditto you encounter to be shiny. The only catch is that (from what I heard) you have to first catch a shiny gyaridos (sp?) and somehow use that to catch the shiny ditto in gen I.

As you can see, I forgot most of the details about both these glitches.
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:50 AM
JakeyBoy
Riddle me this

The second one is real. It's on Bulbapedia, but I'm curious as to how it works. I don't see how it could possibly, unless Dittos in Gen 1 permanently copy IVs.

The first one sounds fake. If it was real, it wouldn't be specific to Totodile at least.
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Professor Cactus
Psychic

Well, from what I read, it has to do with the starter pokemon. I don't remember if the other 2 starters learn leer or not.

I don't see how it couldn't be specific to totodile anyways, the coding of these earlier games have acted in stranger ways.
Old January 9th, 2011, 03:01 PM
XDragonRiderX
My oh my, how time has passed.

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowakeorden View Post
Yeah, unfortunately they fixed that with later Japanese games and basically all the Generation I games released outside Japan...
Jakeyboy's Comment: I think I saw that. He did something to do with the doors, right? Gonna go watch it again.
Yep, ok, that's what I was thinking of. If this was in the English versions I'd be known better, it's pretty interesting.
It was called the Where is it Door in Japan, I think. It allowed you to teleport to any place in the game. You had to do something, fight a Ratatata, run, and walk around, and you teleport to a place in the game. I don't really remember.

Old January 9th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Professor Cactus
Psychic

Yeah, you basically just teleport to this one place, then to another, then to the Elite 4 and just walk past the Champion into the Hall of Fame.
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:02 AM
JakeyBoy
Riddle me this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Cactus View Post
I don't see how it couldn't be specific to totodile anyways, the coding of these earlier games have acted in stranger ways.
Totodile has nothing to do with Leer's coding. The only way it would make sense to me was if there was a filler move called Leer with those effects that only Totodile can learn, or if the move Leer checks if you are using Totodile, and if so it goes lolglitch. I can't imagine any other way it could happen.

Also yeah, already read up on the Dokokashira door glitch.
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
I never knew of the Mew glitch at the time I had the game, I would have used it! :3

Old January 10th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Professor Cactus
Psychic

I just looked up the learnsets of the 3 Johto starters, I see that chikorita doesn't learn leer. I think it's suggested it's done with a starter so that the player has this move early on, or it could be that the game somehow just switches out the effect. It could be possible that the glitch could happen with cyndaquil as well and the info source just like totodile better, it's also possible that choosing totodile has a small chance of create confusion in part of the coding resulting in the game replacing lost data to keep from crashing.

As an example of specific non-glitch pokemon causing problems with a game: "• Tauros forms a notable bug in Pokemon Play It a game largely based on the Trading Card Game. Once the "Tauros" card appears, either in the player's own deck or that of the digital opponent, the game will shut down or freeze the computer." -Bulbapedia, Tauros article, under the Trivia section

After posting this, I'll proceed to test the glitch. (Just got the battery replaced in my Silver, so it has no save data atm anyways.)

Edit: Glitch data update: It's supposedly supposed to happen 4.7% of the time.
Aslo, gah! Just read that it only happens on Crystal. I'll start looking online for a Crystal Version.

Last edited by Professor Cactus; January 10th, 2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old January 10th, 2011, 02:41 PM
The 100 Mega Shock
Donator Tier 3

Programming doesn't really work that way. And seeing as this particular makes little sense and I've never seen it documented on the various comprehensive websites (it's an incredibly common scenario when taking the massive Pokémon playerbase into account that it must have occured a lot of times if what it says is true) I'm not believing it.

The situation you describe with the Tauros card is specific to that Pokémon's own data, and implies moreso of corrupted or incorrectly programmed data than some kind of combination of elements like Totodile & Leer.
Old January 10th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Professor Cactus
Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 100 Mega Shock View Post
The situation you describe with the Tauros card is specific to that Pokémon's own data, and implies moreso of corrupted or incorrectly programmed data than some kind of combination of elements like Totodile & Leer.
I'm starting to think that the info source was wrong in that it had to be a totodile, it's more likely to just either be a rare leer glitch or a few corrupted games. It says it's more common than getting a shiny starter, but this statistic may be inaccurate.

I'll recreate the conditions in which the info source describes. He says that the pokemon won't be holding an item when the glitch occurs and that leer will have 60pp instead of the usual amount.
If the glitch works, then myth confirmed.
If it doesn't work after getting a starter without an item 3 times, then I'll assume it was a hoax or a hack and move on.
Old January 10th, 2011, 03:46 PM
The 100 Mega Shock
Donator Tier 3

It's still such a common condition that it's nearly impossible that nobody has documented such a thing before.

We know the ins and outs of the Dokokashira Door Glitch, the Old Man Glitch and the Celebi Egg Glitch. All of those require situations and conditions to be met that would be very difficult impossible to stumble upon inadvertently, and the knowledge of these glitches was probably built up over time finding out each step to them and their effects.

Compare that to people using Leer on a Totodile with no item - something that must have been done thousands, if not tens of thousands of times.

e: oh yeah and if this is what you're talking about

That looks like a pretty blatant hack to me, with a 60pp Fire Type Scratch and a random 60pp Leer. Just some random screwing around with move properties.

Sponsored Links