• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Pokémon: Red Sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denali

C++ Programmer
Years
Gah, I totally don't have motivation to work on the game right now. I feel like in order to build the world and story I need to have a solid, easy way to make story events without redoing them from scratch every time, and a solid battle system, even if every pokemon just has one level, one attack and HP. And what I really want to do is import tiles, draw graphics and write dialogue, build cities and write the story. Not scratching my head because things don't work. But I guess if I have everything I need in place it will be that much sweeter. :( Just gotta push on through.
I'll support ya all the way, Rydenio :)

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Gah, I totally don't have motivation to work on the game right now. I feel like in order to build the world and story I need to have a solid, easy way to make story events without redoing them from scratch every time, and a solid battle system, even if every pokemon just has one level, one attack and HP. And what I really want to do is import tiles, draw graphics and write dialogue, build cities and write the story. Not scratching my head because things don't work. But I guess if I have everything I need in place it will be that much sweeter. :( Just gotta push on through.

Indeed, every project may make you wanna give up. You should remember there is no rush to complete this and your not getting payed to actually make the game so work at your own pace. Work on it when your bored or you have a idea. Just take your time and you should have no trouble completing this. Here is an idea why dont you port your graphics over to RMXP and use poccil starter kit? You can change all the scripts to your liking and its already a complete framework.

And to neodragon yea I find it quite annoying that the ESRB charges to have your game rated, but everyone has to make money right... And 10,000 USD is alot for one purchase even if its for the ps3. I've taken into account many factors and I'd love to fund this game by myself but that would also require I do all the work by myself or hire a team and pay them. I find it alot easier to atleast to try to get a company to wanna publish my game and then they should cover my expenses.

Last edited:

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
Isnt the SDK it self like 10 k? I can get a decent used car with that price...Sheesh

edit: the new one is only 2k, thats more manageable..

I HOPE I get into Caltech or Something, damn I NEED to get my hands on these dev kits

KingCharizard

Years
Isnt the SDK it self like 10 k? I can get a decent used car with that price...Sheesh

edit: the new one is only 2k, thats more manageable..

I HOPE I get into Caltech or Something, damn I NEED to get my hands on these dev kits

Yeah the one I had planned on buying was 10k

I herd something bout they cut the price in half, but I think its still like 5k, not 2k

EDIT: sorry I just checked and yeah its 2k

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
Yeah the one I had planned on buying was 10k

I herd something bout they cut the price in half, but I think its still like 5k, not 2k

EDIT: sorry I just checked and yeah its 2k
That was a major factor in the race between the consoles, the 360 had a better launch price and dev kit price and the xbox live and the earlier release date... The 15k-20 k devkit sony originally had just killed the game library to a select few that had the commitment to make crazy good games, but now its evening out...

Rydenio

Shameless plugger
Years
I have RPGXP and the starter kit, I played around with it but I think using that just kind of takes away from the good feeling I get from making it all on my own.

KingCharizard

Years
I have RPGXP and the starter kit, I played around with it but I think using that just kind of takes away from the good feeling I get from making it all on my own.

lol now your a true developer, what you said is a big factor that makes all great devs great. I know how you feel I just suggested a quicker and easier solution.... But if you need any help i'd be happy to offer my services.

Rydenio

Shameless plugger
Years
lol now your a true developer, what you said is a big factor that makes all great devs great. I know how you feel I just suggested a quicker and easier solution.... But if you need any help i'd be happy to offer my services.

Actually, I'm so familiar with MF2 that switching to RPG maker would probably just make it harder. But the starter kit seems to be an awesome resource.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
I see all these great looking games in the showcase, and then a black and white game in the red/blue stlye blows me away! I really like the style of the 1st gen, never knew I did before this.
I'll try to download the demo (still getting to grips with windows 7) and if it works I'll edit this.

Rydenio

Shameless plugger
Years
I see all these great looking games in the showcase, and then a black and white game in the red/blue stlye blows me away! I really like the style of the 1st gen, never knew I did before this.
I'll try to download the demo (still getting to grips with windows 7) and if it works I'll edit this.

Aw, thanks man! I'm glad I can inspire people by doing something different!

The latest build has now replaced the old demo, so download it if you want. Nothing much has changed, but all the orginal bugs are gone. It has a preview of the battle system that can be accessed by pressing N, if you wanna try that out. It only works once right now. If you press 5 you can try Route 1, with opening/lowering bridges, also unfinished. And if you press 0, you can try playing as the main character you will eventually become. And the font is now from D/P.

Main goals right now:

• Rework the conversation system to include typewriter-style text, like in the original. This will require me to change the system from the ground up.
  • This will also incluse cleaning up the conversations, with the text carried in a .ini file and the events stored within every character. This will make future development easier and faster.
  • Build a solid system for story events, that will not require redoing everything each time.
  • Finish up the battle system to where it's functional but nothing more. HP x2, two attacks, and turns. Basics for now.
  • Cleaning up the code to where I can actually understand what I've done. This is a must if the game is to remain bug-free for any future amount of time, this will be a major headscratcher.
After this is done, i can finally put my story ideas into action. :) And here's a screen from the battle with RATTATA!

loooolu.png

Stay tuned for later this week, I should have time to sit down with in wednesday-thursday. :)

Denali

C++ Programmer
Years
Aw, thanks man! I'm glad I can inspire people by doing something different!

The latest build has now replaced the old demo, so download it if you want. Nothing much has changed, but all the orginal bugs are gone. It has a preview of the battle system that can be accessed by pressing N, if you wanna try that out. It only works once right now. If you press 5 you can try Route 1, with opening/lowering bridges, also unfinished. And if you press 0, you can try playing as the main character you will eventually become. And the font is now from D/P.

Main goals right now:

• Rework the conversation system to include typewriter-style text, like in the original. This will require me to change the system from the ground up.
  • This will also incluse cleaning up the conversations, with the text carried in a .ini file and the events stored within every character. This will make future development easier and faster.
  • Build a solid system for story events, that will not require redoing everything each time.
  • Finish up the battle system to where it's functional but nothing more. HP x2, two attacks, and turns. Basics for now.
  • Cleaning up the code to where I can actually understand what I've done. This is a must if the game is to remain bug-free for any future amount of time, this will be a major headscratcher.
After this is done, i can finally put my story ideas into action. :) And here's a screen from the battle with RATTATA!

loooolu.png

Stay tuned for later this week, I should have time to sit down with in wednesday-thursday. :)​
Looks awesome man! :) Keep it up!

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
This thread is almost a year old, and the limit for reviving threads is two-months. So please look at the date of the last post before posting.

-locked-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back