The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
What the hell? Bowling class? Actually, I think we have a rock climbing class here...but still. Bowling. Do want.

Dude, are you even allowed to evolve the Zubat into Crobat? Or are you forever stuck with Golbat? And um Nick better be participating or I'll kill him.
Yeah we are, one of the reasons I actually undertook it is because he added Honchkrow to the list. I'll update if I beat Falkner, which may or may not happen.
If the challenge somehow dies, well I have my own Nuzlocke spin-off idea, but I'm not going to wish that on the challenge. More people need to check it out though, the work he put into it is obvious.
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
You can tell that he's put a lot of work into making that challenge, but I probably won't participate in it. I don't feel too fond of restarting my Soulsilver game or playing that game on an emulator.
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Sooyun
Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU

Location: Sleeping with Cyndaquil, Torchic, Charmander, and Pokabu
Nature: Sassy
I just thought of a new challenge (if no one else has tried this) since "Thank You For the Gift" is looking rather... dead ;; .

Title: Zodiac Challenge
Games: Misc
Premise: Play the games with Pokemon that correspond with your Asian, Western, American Indian, and Aztec zodiac signs and elements according to

Western and Chinese Zodiac

Indian Zodiac

Aztec Zodiac

Refer to http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Species for Pokemon to choose.

Rules
:
1. Events are allowed, but no Legendaries.
2. Trades are allowed for evolving.
3. Emulators are allowed.
4. Hacks such as Pokemon modifier is allowed for level 5 base evolutions of Pokemon not available in-game.
5. You do not need to use direct zodiacs if they come out as objects (like a scale or house). For objects, you can use Pokemon associated with those objects.

personal example:

Chinese Zodiac: Sheep
Chinese element: Metal
Western Zodiac: Taurus
Western element: Earth
Indian Zodiac: Beaver
Indian element: Earth & Fire
Aztec Zodiac: Lizard

Name: Sooyun
Game: Platinum
Team: Mareep, Steelix, Tauros/Miltank, Nidoking/Nidoqueen, Bibarel/Lopunny, Charmander

Current Challenge(s):

B.I.N.G.O - Kanto - Love @ 1st Sight - LG

Current Challenges on hold:
UMC (Fire) => Fire Red Soul Silver Emerald Platinum Black

Complete Challenges:

Event: Green, Gold, and Booze☆ - St. Patrick's Challenge Event!
Event: Challoween - Halloween Event
Lyrics Challenge (Rhianna -Sell Me Candy)
Dream Theme - Survival Of the Fittest

The Hippie Challenge - Blastoise//Sandslash//Fearow//Lapras

Future Challenge(s):
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Enigma
we love, we hate. we die, forever late! in willow's way...
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
^ Really interesting challenge, especially with the news arising of a new zodiac sign.

On a personal note, I would just like to say that generation 4 is so slooooooow. :c

"Magnus! I do not fear your reign, for I have an umbrella!"
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:49 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
I didn't know there was a new Zodiac. I kept seeing everyone saying stuff on facebook and i was like wtf are they talking about?

I just wish there was an easier way to play 4th gen on an emulator. By easier, I mean something with a speed button. And a way to hack, in case I'm doing a challenge that calls for it. Basically, I want an emulator that functions just like the GBA but can run DS games.
Old January 13th, 2011, 11:23 PM
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrhman View Post
I didn't know there was a new Zodiac. I kept seeing everyone saying stuff on facebook and i was like wtf are they talking about?

I just wish there was an easier way to play 4th gen on an emulator. By easier, I mean something with a speed button. And a way to hack, in case I'm doing a challenge that calls for it. Basically, I want an emulator that functions just like the GBA but can run DS games.
You can use Pokesav for all the Gen IV games, I do that all the time. Also, No$gba has Gameshark/AR capability. I really hate that there is no speed button, though. You can only play at 2x speed max.

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter

I never understood why Sinnoh is so slow to traverse through. Makes me wonder... :/

I've recently found my Ruby cartridge and am thinking of doing some sort of challenge on there, preferably monotype. I'd be willing to take suggestions as to what challenge to partake on said game, but I refuse to participate in Nuzlocke.
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Sooyun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
I never understood why Sinnoh is so slow to traverse through. Makes me wonder... :/

I've recently found my Ruby cartridge and am thinking of doing some sort of challenge on there, preferably monotype. I'd be willing to take suggestions as to what challenge to partake on said game, but I refuse to participate in Nuzlocke.
I've never played Sinnoh passed the first few gyms. I think I quit with Fantima (sp?). At least my challenges will force me to finish, but idky, I prefer Isshu/Unova, Hoenn, Johto, and Kanto over Sinnoh. Something about it...

I have Sapphire myself. For monotype, I'd go with either Fire types, Dark types, Flying, Bug, or Normal if only to spite Sapphire for being so water biased.

Current Challenge(s):

Complete Challenges:

Future Challenge(s):
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter

I actually liked Hoenn, but the hugh amounts of Water and Water Pokemon was a big phat problem. If memory serves right, pretty much right after the sixth gym you had to travel by water. I do know about the Mr. Briney boat to Dewford and Slateport, but they're by boat, so I'm not counting that at the moment.

I have been thinking about going monotype Dark on Ruby, and I'm trying to think about what Pokemon it leaves me with. As far as I know, that would leave me with Mightyena, Shiftry, Sableye, Sharpedo, Cacturne and Crawdaunt. I'd even go with Normal, Poison, Steel or something else like Flying.
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Sooyun

Quote:
I actually liked Hoenn, but the huge amounts of Water and Water Pokemon was a big phat problem. If memory serves right, pretty much right after the sixth gym you had to travel by water. I do know about the Mr. Briney boat to Dewford and Slateport, but they're by boat, so I'm not counting that at the moment.

I have been thinking about going monotype Dark on Ruby, and I'm trying to think about what Pokemon it leaves me with. As far as I know, that would leave me with Mightyena, Shiftry, Sableye, Sharpedo, Cacturne and Crawdaunt. I'd even go with Normal, Poison, Steel or something else like Flying.
Irk? I like Hoenn, but all that water was irking, especially since I dun leik Mudkipz and always restart my games with either Torchic or Treecko and the water types I use and abuse are Pelipper, Azumarill, and Kyogre. With Dark, that's a balanced team right there. Faster to find than Fire (most of my challenge so far practically had me solo-ing throughout half to 3/4ths the games.)

Current Challenge(s):

Complete Challenges:

Future Challenge(s):
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter

Ahh Mudkip. I remember the days where I'd run through the game using only Mudkip, Tropius and Torkoal. I don't know why I only used those three, but they seemed cool to me. I wouldn't actually mind going for the Flying Monotype, as it'd give me some nice Pokemon: Swellow, Beautifly, Pelipper, Skarmory etc.

Which for some reason leads me onto an idea for another challenge. I have no idea what it could be called, but you'd choose a Pokemon, any Pokemon which will be your main/starter Pokemon (you can hack it in if you wish to). This Pokemon has to be dual type, and for the challenge you'd need to have either 3 or 5 Pokemon on your team. Your main Pokemon would branch out into other Pokemon for their types. Your branched out Pokemon would have to be uno typed for this challenge, but if impossible (flying types) you can void this rule.

If that doesn't make sense, let me explain it differently. Let's say your main Pokemon will be a Tentacool, which will eventually become a Water/Poison type. If you choose to have five Pokemon on your team, you have to choose two Pokemon for your team which branch out from Tentacruel's typing, so you would need two pure Water types and two pure Poison types, so all in all, your team could be this.
Tentacruel
Wailmer
Azumarill
Swalot
Weezing
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Sooyun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthebud View Post
You can use Pokesav for all the Gen IV games, I do that all the time. Also, No$gba has Gameshark/AR capability. I really hate that there is no speed button, though. You can only play at 2x speed max.
You could also get Game booster or Mz Game Accelerator. I'll pokesav for moves and items. Pokemon... nah. If only because they don't register in the (unalterable) dex and I haven't figured out the egg hatching numbers thing.

Quote:
Ahh Mudkip. I remember the days where I'd run through the game using only Mudkip, Tropius and Torkoal. I don't know why I only used those three, but they seemed cool to me. I wouldn't actually mind going for the Flying Monotype, as it'd give me some nice Pokemon: Swellow, Beautifly, Pelipper, Skarmory etc.

Which for some reason leads me onto an idea for another challenge. I have no idea what it could be called, but you'd choose a Pokemon, any Pokemon which will be your main/starter Pokemon (you can hack it in if you wish to). This Pokemon has to be dual type, and for the challenge you'd need to have either 3 or 5 Pokemon on your team. Your main Pokemon would branch out into other Pokemon for their types. Your branched out Pokemon would have to be uno typed for this challenge, but if impossible (flying types) you can void this rule.

If that doesn't make sense, let me explain it differently. Let's say your main Pokemon will be a Tentacool, which will eventually become a Water/Poison type. If you choose to have five Pokemon on your team, you have to choose two Pokemon for your team which branch out from Tentacruel's typing, so you would need two pure Water types and two pure Poison types, so all in all, your team could be this.
Tentacruel
Wailmer
Azumarill
Swalot
Weezing
Interesting... So, if I were to pick... idk Swellow my team could be:

Swellow
Delcatty
Swablu (Flying/Normal. evolved would be Flying/Dragon)
Spinda
Castform

Am I right?

Current Challenge(s):

Complete Challenges:

Future Challenge(s):

Last edited by Sooyun; January 14th, 2011 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old January 14th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter

Almost. :D
The point of having either 3 or 5 Pokemon on the team is so you can have an even amount of Pokemon from that type. So if you were to choose Swellow, you'd have to choose two Normal and two Flying Pokemon.
Old January 14th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Sooyun

Ah...

*looks up bulbapedia*

I'd have to switch Spinda or Castform in for Tornelos. That's the only Pokemon that's pure flying.

Current Challenge(s):

Complete Challenges:

Future Challenge(s):
Old January 14th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter

Well obviously that's impossible to do if you're choosing flying types. How about to make it easier, the branch Pokemon's main type should be used, or the first type that appears in it's PokeDex entry, so if Swellow was one of your branch Pokemon you'd have to use it's Normal typing.
Old January 14th, 2011, 05:19 AM
The Lord of Smug

Nature: Hasty
Quote:

Tentacruel
Wailmer
Azumarill
Swalot
Weezing
Very similar to my challenge, the dual type challenge. Just do it over there.
Old January 14th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Sooyun

Oh yeah. I forgot about the duel challenge. *face palm* It's only because I've yet to participate in that challenge so it didn't cross my mind that we already had one.

Current Challenge(s):

Complete Challenges:

Future Challenge(s):
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:48 AM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Possible good news in disguise. My laptop stopped working again. I think its done and I'm going to have to send it in. Which means I CAN DO ALL THE DPPt CHALLENGES BECAUSE I DON'T EMULATE THEM!!!
Old January 15th, 2011, 07:38 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

Nature: Relaxed
You have a pretty fail laptop, myrrh. I booted my old netbook yesterday. Just as I thought, my mom dropped it at some point and now there's a huge crack all over the screen. >_<' Oh well. I can still see stuff on it, so I'll just go ahead and back up stuff until the jiggly power cord won't come out. Again. -_-'

And there's actually a huge >extra< Maths Homework. Of course my mom will soon stop the power in my room to stop me from my activities (surfing the internet, browsing through an old collection of 101 games and just yelling "you lose !" at their suckiness... usual Saturday evening stuff).

On a totally different subject, I got Guardian Signs last Saturday and beat it last night. Fail. (yes Syd, I know you hate Ranger games. But my little bro' has his DSi XL, and instead of destroying my screen, I destroyed his ! :D).

And one more thing : I won't be on tomorrow. One of my friends is coming so we can gossip about our classmates do our History project about telephones. Ugh. I hate telephones. Especially writing about them. :o

Old January 15th, 2011, 11:34 AM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

I don't much like the Ranger games either. I emulated one (couldn't tell you which one it was though) and thought it was way to different and not Pokemon-y for my taste. But main series/Mystery Dungeon/Colosseum are just fine.
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
I wonder if there's any challenge one could do on a game like Ranger, Snap, or Pokepark. It would
be pretty interesting and challenging, I assume.
@myrrh, Ranger was fun and all, but the final boss was a huge chore.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

Nature: Timid
Myrrh, I'd be crying in horror if I realized that I had the time to do DPPt challenges. I cannot stand Diamond and Pearl...my gosh. Ranger is worse though, yes. Glad I haven't seen any Ranger challenges pop up. ._.

paired to peeta
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:57 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Well, Syd, I guess its a curse that I'm doing all the ultimate Monotypes... Oh well, I should have accounted for them covering DPPt.
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

Nature: Timid
Eh, that's true. I tend to pick my favorite recent game when I do challenges (like HGSS), buuuuut since it's ultimate... :x Oh, and have fun implementing Black or White into that. I'd hate to finish an ultimate challenge only to realize "oh crap, a new generation" and go through that as well.

paired to peeta
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter

I actually didn't mind the Ranger Games. sure they were fun and all, but I don't know. I remember when I wanted the Manaphy, so I finished the game, got the egg and then my Diamond game corrupted, so I didn't get any Manaphy at all.

Also, it looks like no one really likes my "domino" challenge (I like the name better, so I'm stealing it mmkay). I should update my challenge progress soon, as I've nearly defeated Brawly.

Sponsored Links