Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation
Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:50 AM
StarlightSerenity
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
I'm assuming this is where I am meant to post this question...

Each time I attempt to save my Pokemon Emerald Game, both on a GBA and DS I get the message, "Save failed. Checking the backup memory. Please wait", it just sticks at that and doesnt do anything.

The game used to work on different GBA and DS consoles but not these ones.

Please help

PS - I'm asking on behalf of someone, I'm unable to get screenshots.
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Please, can you take pictures of the GBA game? From all sides. It may be that it's a fake. When did you/the owner get it? Also, take a picture of the packaging as well, it's another giveaway.

Does the game have the Nintendo seal of quality on it? Please describe that if you could.(A close-up would be good, so I can compare it to mine).

If your game is legit, it's beyond me. But I have my own legit copy of Emerald, complete with 99% of its' packaging (slight fading on the game), so I hope I can help you.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice you p.s. But tbh, for us to be certain it's not fake, it's best to get screenshots. So if the person you're asking on behalf of could get some, that'd be really useful.
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

Nature: Timid
Kinda didn't mention this cause I didn't notice, but she can't really post pictures because her post count isn't high enough. But yeah, I'd reckon your GBA is fake. Couldn't you just switch back to the one you were previously using?

paired to crono
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:18 AM
StarlightSerenity
Beginning Trainer

Thanks for the replies, the cartridge itself is definately not a fake, it has the see through green case and the seal on it plus it was first bought from Game (or Game Station, cant remember now), brand new.

I've actually sold the game on eBay to someone who is now having these problems with it. I used it a couple of days before to check that it was still in working order as I hadnt played it for a few years and it was absolutely fine in my own GBA and a DS.

Surely it would have had these problems when I checked it, or when I used to play it a lot, if it was a problem with the actual cartridge? Could it be their consoles that are having the issues?

Worried that I'm going to get loads of problems on eBay if I cant sort this out
Old January 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Possibly. I did wonder if the GBA was region-locked, but it turns out the only consoles that are region-locked are DSi-onwards, so that's not it.

It could be a problem with their DS or GBA. My DSLite got damaged when my brother ejected my Diamond whilst I was playing, and then my GBA games kept freezing 9/10 times. But it grew out of that.

You say it's on Ebay...could we have a link to the auction? I don't know why it would help...but meh, it might.

Do you know what model of DS and GBA this guy's using?

I suppose it could be an error with the internal battery, but I don't think it would be. It could also be that the new owner has a GBA from a different region to the game, but I'm pretty sure games themselves can't be region-locked.
Old January 20th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Symbiosis
Community Supporter

Does the Latias every time i encounter it change or is it the same pokemon with the same stats.If it is the same then wouldn't i have to soft reset before i encounter it the first time?

Windows 8.1 64 Bit | 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4940MX processor (Quad Core, 8MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.4GHz) | 32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz | 1TB SSD Quad Play RAID 0 (4x256GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s) | Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M graphics with 16GB total (2x 8GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled

☆Current Pre Ordered Games: Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare Atlas Pro Edition-PS4-11/3/2014-$119.99 | WWE 2K15 Hukkamania Edition-PS4-11/18/2014-$99.99 | GTA V-PS4-11/18/2014-$59.99 | Pokemon Alpha Sapphire & Pokemon Omega Ruby-Nintendo 3DS-11/21/2014-$39.99 Each | Battlefield Hardline Deluxe Edition-PS4-3/31/2015 - $69.99

Old January 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Quote:
Does the Latias every time i encounter it change or is it the same pokemon with the same stats.If it is the same then wouldn't i have to soft reset before i encounter it the first time?
It would be the same Latias since the first time you encounter it, so you would have to soft reset before you encounter it for the first time.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:09 PM
PatJamma
♪I can hear my heart bell♪

In Emerald why can't I release my pokemon? it keeps saying "(Pokemon) was released. ... ... ... ... ! (Pokemon) came back! Was it worried about you?" why does it keep doing this?!?!?
Lies! I was never here! Purple taste like crayons!
Signature under construction
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:33 PM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

No, that's incorrect. The Pokemon probably knows an HM that none of your other Pokemon know, so the game won't let you get rid of it since it's the only Pokemon you have with that move. So just go catch something else that can learn it, teach it to him, and you should be fine.

paired to crono
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:37 PM
PatJamma
♪I can hear my heart bell♪

I just started so I don't have any HMs and I have two Pokemon including the one that won't be released
Lies! I was never here! Purple taste like crayons!
Signature under construction
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:37 PM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
No, that's incorrect. The Pokemon probably knows an HM that none of your other Pokemon know, so the game won't let you get rid of it since it's the only Pokemon you have with that move. So just go catch something else that can learn it, teach it to him, and you should be fine.
;______; I was informed wrong then >__> I do hate Gamefaqs users, I really do :(
✿ trade thread✿
1349 6159 4149
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

Don't think the game will let you release til you have more then. Just go catch some more Pokemon. Why don't you just box the Pokemon instead? It's not necessary that you release it, and if it's for a Nuzlocke, I don't think the thread owner will penalize you for not releasing it immediately as long as you box it immediately.

paired to crono
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Bunnicustard
<3

Nature: Calm
Okay, so I'm a little confused: I just got a copy of Emerald and am trying to trade from it to Ruby....but when I link things up and get both parties moved past the save-your-game portion and it says please wait....it just stays on that. It never says I can't trade or anything, it's just stuck until I press (B) to cancel.

Now I've read that you can't trade between these games until you get the ruby/sapphire and beat the game in Emerald, but I already have beaten that game....why can't I trade? Do I need to do something in Ruby? Or is my game broken?

The internal clock on the Emerald game has dried up, don't know if that's significant.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:15 PM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

The items Ruby and Sapphire are required for you to trade in FRLG, so those aren't the problem here. The clock is irrelevant too. And I'm assuming you have the Pokedex in both games.

Try switching the plugs on the link cable. Only other thing I can think of is that the Emerald might be fake, since you said you just got it. Where'd you get it from?

paired to crono
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
Bunnicustard
<3

Got it from Gamestop used...it looked the way it was supposed to, but then again I've never seen a fake.

I tried out my link cable with my other games and it worked using the same gameboys. I also tried putting in different ends of the plug and putting each cartridge into a different gameboy--nuthin'. I'm pretty sure whoever had it before me has traded before because they have some trade-only evolved forms in their storage.

So you're saying I shouldn't have to complete Ruby/Emerald to be able to trade with the other? If so I can't imagine what is wrong...
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Are you trading Pokemon in the Hoenn Pokedex? Try holding the link cable in while trading. That's what I have to do while trading in my Gen III games. In Emerald are you sure you at the link club not the wireless adapter room.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

What type of Gameboys are you using?

And no, you don't have to complete Ruby and Emerald for them to trade with each other, so rule that out.

paired to crono
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:55 AM
Bunnicustard
<3

I'm using an Advance and an Advance SP.

Not sure about the Honen thing...Emerald has national and Honen, and I'm guessing Honen is the one you start with, right? In which case that's the one Ruby has as I apparently restarted that game and have not beaten the Elite Four yet....could that be why? But then why won't it work with any of my other compelted games (i.e. FR/Emerald/LG/etc...?)

I just tried trading between each of my GBA gen games and nothing, even FireRed and LeafGreen wont connect. I get the same wait time right after it saves for the trade area but then it never moves forward. Surely you aren't supposed to wait a long time before it connects, right? It should be just a few seconds if anything, or should I just be more patient and wait a couple of minutes? Holding the wires in didn't seem to help either.

Grah, this is frustrating. This Emerald has a lot of the annoying-to-get pokemon like the Regis and some friendliness-based evos. :/

Last edited by Bunnicustard; January 23rd, 2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 02:45 AM
JakeyBoy
Riddle me this

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnicustard View Post
The internal clock on the Emerald game has dried up, don't know if that's significant.
But... Emerald doesn't have the berry glitch.
RIP Slowpoke Jackson
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:00 AM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeyBoy View Post
But... Emerald doesn't have the berry glitch.
The internal battery has nothing to do with the berry glitch. It means the battery that controls the time in the game itself is all out of juice.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

Quote:
I'm using an Advance and an Advance SP.

Not sure about the Honen thing...Emerald has national and Honen, and I'm guessing Honen is the one you start with, right? In which case that's the one Ruby has as I apparently restarted that game and have not beaten the Elite Four yet....could that be why? But then why won't it work with any of my other compelted games (i.e. FR/Emerald/LG/etc...?)

I just tried trading between each of my GBA gen games and nothing, even FireRed and LeafGreen wont connect. I get the same wait time right after it saves for the trade area but then it never moves forward. Surely you aren't supposed to wait a long time before it connects, right? It should be just a few seconds if anything, or should I just be more patient and wait a couple of minutes? Holding the wires in didn't seem to help either.

Grah, this is frustrating. This Emerald has a lot of the annoying-to-get pokemon like the Regis and some friendliness-based evos. :/
I'm pretty sure you don't need to complete the games to trade between them.

Maybe there is something wrong with your cable? Or perhaps the used Emerald you purchased. The way your explaining it though seems like there may be a problem with your cable.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:10 AM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

Ah, SP and GBA. That might be the problem. I had some trouble trading between my SP and GBA as well. Unfortunately, the only solution I saw was to just use my other Advance. :/

paired to crono
Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
Bunnicustard
<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro. View Post

Maybe there is something wrong with your cable? Or perhaps the used Emerald you purchased. The way your explaining it though seems like there may be a problem with your cable.
See, and I thought so too--but then I tried it with my SP and Color to trade between the GSC gen and RBY games and they all linked up fine. Maybe its just an old cable? Is there an updated for-the-advanced-games-only cable out there that I'm not aware of?
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
Doppelgänger
Community Supporter

That's strange. It should work with your GBA if you can connect your Color to your SP.

Maybe it's like what Syd said above. If you can get your hands on another GBA or another SP, and do GBA to GBA / SP to SP, maybe it would work?
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
See, and I thought so too--but then I tried it with my SP and Color to trade between the GSC gen and RBY games and they all linked up fine. Maybe its just an old cable? Is there an updated for-the-advanced-games-only cable out there that I'm not aware of?
I think I know your problem you are using a GBC link cable when you need a GBA link cable to trade between Ruby and Emerald.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here