The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 29th, 2011, 02:16 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7

Advertise here
Will Pikachu, the most important character on the show (or at least 2nd) ever learn a new move.
Here's a list form Bulbapedia of the moves he has already used in the order he used them. (Moves in bold are the one he currently knows).

Thundershock
Thunderbolt
Leer (can't normally use move)
Agility
Quick Attack
Thunder
Double-Edge
Tackle (can't normally use move)
Iron Tail
Volt Tackle

Will Pikachu ever learn a new move? He has learnt one in every region so far except Sinnoh. If so what move?
Old January 29th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Regeneration
meow
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Regeneration
I can imagine Pikachu learning Focus Punch for some reason. Yeah. Imagine.
Old January 29th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
Not much more he can learn. You got to remember Sinnoh did not have many new moves anyways. They are already at the 3rd gym oh Isshu/Unova Region so I do not think Pikachu will learn one in Unova eather.
Old January 29th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Kirbychu
Scyther

Nature: Naughty
As mentioned before, our adorable little rat didn't get many moves this generation. Ash might just find a new method using Pikachu's current moves, like the counter-shield. However, if Pikachu was to learn a new move,he would have to forget one. The main characters' Pokemon tend to follow the 4 move limit. Thunderbolt would have to stay and Volt Tackle is Pikachu's signature move. I would hate it if they got rid of Iron Tail, that would makes it seem as if Hoenn never existed. I think Quick Attack should be replaced if Pikachu was to learn a new move.

Paired to cr4y

Old January 29th, 2011, 10:18 AM
MysticFlygon
Rookie Hacker

Nature: Naive
I don't think so because the last move I remember Pikachu learning was Volt Tackle and that was way back around the Battle Frontier I think. I don't remember Pikachu learning anything new all throughout Sinnoh.

Soul Silver FC: 0217 9584 1711
Old January 29th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
I could see one of its attacked being replaced by Electra Ball, since it is a speed based move. I don't really see him learning Volt Charge or Wild Charge though. If he does learn Wild Charge then I think that would be the replacement for Volt Tackle(which I don't see them doing) not to mention Volt Tackle does more damage.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old January 29th, 2011, 10:44 AM
ShreyasPokemon
wants battles only...

Well, as a new set of moves are about to come, I think, yes, Pikachu will. (I still can't believe Ash's Pikachu does not know surf yet)

Links: My Profile | Shreyas' Pokemon Emporium | My Platinum FC | My Soul Silver FC
Old January 29th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
I can see it learning a new move. It learnt Volt Takle in BF remember? (Then again, that was a long time ago.)

But, there are loads of new electric type moves introduced for the 5th Generation. Even if it can't learn them legitly, it's learned other moves in the past that it couldn't be able to use in the games. (without any sort of cheat.)

Old January 29th, 2011, 11:07 AM
dragoniteuser
The dragon master

Nature: Jolly
I think it will!
Pikachu usually learnes new moves with new region so...
But I think it will be another unussual one.

Lance
the Dragon master

-Gifted with powers of the Viridian forest
-Telepathically communicates with Pokémon
-Heals their wounds
-Controls Dragon Pokémon
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:49 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Pikachu didn't really get any new moves in Gen V, so I don't think it'll learn anything new. Wild Charge is a possibility, but I don't think it'd work out because like Volt Tackle, it's a recoil move. I'm starting to think that Pikachu would learn Grass Knot for some reason.

Old January 29th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Actually it did, it learns Electra Ball at level 18.

Old January 31st, 2011, 11:38 AM
Makbets
Cookie Lover

Nature: Sassy
I think that Pikachu shouldn't learn any new Electric Type moves... Thunderbolt and Volt Tackle are awesome moves...
But quick attack should be replaced...
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

There has been some very interesting speculation going on around serebii and Pikachu's new move that I would like to point out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukah View Post
Everybody has already seem the Rocket vs. Plasma preview.
And as everybody can see Pikachu has a new move. It's set to debut at BW020.

And looking at the descriptions of the new electric 5 Gen moves, the only one that seems to be fitting is Lightning Strike.

Lightning Strike is an exclusive Zekrom move.
So that could mean Zekrom did curse or boost Pikachu's power. (even though it's been a clear loser this days).

Look at Lightning Strike's description: It covers itself in extensive amounts of electricity and charges at the opponent. It may cause paralysis.

Do you guys think it's possible Zekrom did in fact alter Pikachu's power when he gave back his Electricity?

If this was already discussed, sorry!
It's very interesting - the Animation and description seem very similer to what Pikachu used to the preview too. It seems plausible to me.

Old February 10th, 2011, 01:10 PM
rocky505
<Now who's awesome!

Nature: Relaxed
God no it is not lightning strike. I am going with Light Screen or Return maybe even wild charge.
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

This^ I am not feeling Lighting Strike. Its a exclusive legendary pokemons move so lets keep it that way. I don't know if anyone really wants too see an even more broken Pikachu. Much less it at all these days.

Old February 11th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Well there must have been some reason for the random Zekrom.

Also, even you should know the anime doesn't follow the games mechanics...

Old February 11th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Regeneration
meow
Community Supporter

I agree that the description matches pretty well with what we saw, but still, I'd be surprised if they actually gave Pikachu a move exclusive to Zekrom. But I guess seeing how special Pikachu is, there isn't any harm in adding a bit more to its uniqueness.
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Pwnyta Jockey
Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!

What of that Electric Ball move?
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Regeneration
meow
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnyta Jockey View Post
What of that Electric Ball move?
I'm assuming that you meant Electro Ball.

The reason I think the move can't be Electro ball is because it is a Special Attack. The move Pikachu was using was clearly a Physical Attack.
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:01 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
If it is Lightning Strike, I'm guessing it will be a move that Pikachu can only pull off occasionally.
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Twiggity Twang
Ruler of the Ice Boundary

Nature: Modest
If it is Lightning Strike (Which I highly doubt, but do show mild support for), it will only be a last resort-type move. I personally think it is either Return or Hidden Power (While it is shown to be a physical attack that Pikachu is using, Regigigas' HP was just weird in the Anime, so you never know). These are the most likely, but it could be Wild Charge or Volt change, for all we know.
Old February 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Kendosis
Gym Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makbets View Post
I think that Pikachu shouldn't learn any new Electric Type moves... Thunderbolt and Volt Tackle are awesome moves...
But quick attack should be replaced...
Thunder should replace quick attack .
Old February 15th, 2011, 07:07 PM
fenyx4
X does Y WITH AUTHORITY!

Nature: Timid
Pikachu's current moveset seems OK, but I dislike that due to having two Electric-type moves, it wastes a move slot.

-Anyway, Thunderbolt is nearly iconic with Pikachu, so that's pretty much guaranteed to stay.
-Volt Tackle is currently Pikachu's signature move, and said exclusivity of the move is apparently the main reason for the existence of Wild Bolt. So unless Volt Tackle becomes non-exclusive, that seems like it's staying as well. I'd hate for the new upcoming move to be Wild Bolt; it's terribly redundant for Pikachu's line and completely defeats the point of Volt Tackle's exclusivity.
-Iron Tail helps Pikachu trump Rock-type Pokemon, which Pikachu has difficulty battling with if they are part Ground-type as well. Plus, they spent quite a few episode focusing on Pikachu learning it and even bothered to enhance its animation in Best Wishes, so deleting it kind of detracts from the importance of those episodes. But it's a relatively new move and many Pokemon can learn it, so it has the chance of going.
-Quick Attack is learned by many Pokemon as well, but I feel that to this day it serves as a reminder of the episode Electric Shock Showdown, where Pikachu's speed was an integral part of Ash's tactics, to the point where Brock said something to the effect of "Lt. Surge evolved his Pikachu right when he got it, so it was unable to learn the speed attacks that it could only learn at the Pikachu stage". Since the episode tends to be a memorable one (as Ash's Pikachu trumped his evo) and is one of the main driving factors for the Team Rocket trio hounding Ash to this day, removing Quick Attack would be a very poor decision IMO.

So, I don't think Ash's Pikachu should learn a new move for a while, though Surf and Fly could be welcome changes for one-time-only events.
As for the rumored upcoming new move in Best Wishes that Pikachu will use, I'm liking the Lightning Strike theory, despite its exclusivity to Zekrom. Zekrom also has the signature move Cross Thunder at its disposal, and the anime has shared exclusive moves among Pokemon before as well (see Raticate learning [Hi] Jump Kick in Battle Aboard the St. Anne, a move previously exclusive to Hitmonlee). Ash and Pikachu can also devise improvised moves such as Thunder Armor again with little effect on Pikachu's "moveset", so there's always that option.

Last edited by fenyx4; February 15th, 2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old February 15th, 2011, 07:13 PM
AshPikastar
It's Question Time!

Send a message via Skype™ to AshPikastar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggity Twang View Post
If it is Lightning Strike (Which I highly doubt, but do show mild support for), it will only be a last resort-type move. I personally think it is either Return or Hidden Power (While it is shown to be a physical attack that Pikachu is using, Regigigas' HP was just weird in the Anime, so you never know). These are the most likely, but it could be Wild Charge or Volt change, for all we know.
The move to me looks too powerful to be Hidden power or Return. I can actually seeing it be Volt Change since that'll make more sense then Return or Hidden power. Pikachu looked as if he was going to use Vol tackle when it was charging up then letting the attack out in the air. The attack looked like electricity to me not Hidden power. Last time I checked in DP; Hidden power looked different then that but then again, so did Iron tail since they have new animation for Pokemon. Wild Charge might be the attack as well but it would be interesting if Pikachu new Lightning Strike though. He'll most likely learn it at the end of the series hopefully.
Old February 15th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Regeneration
meow
Community Supporter

I highly doubt whether that move could be Wild Charge. Reasons? If that move is Wild Charge, it makes most sense for it to replace Volt Tackle. And why would the writers want to replace a move with another one which is less powerful than the previous move?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here