The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 31st, 2011 (12:46 AM). Edited January 31st, 2011 by TheUnown.
TheUnown
Super Lurker

Nature: Quiet
Hope this is the right thread ;.

What are your personal thoughts about using traded Pokemon? Obviously, there's no harmful disadvantages to trading, but people have their preferences.

What if you traded your own Pokemon back to yourself? For instance, you send a caught Pokemon to another DS/game, create a new game on yours, and then send it back. Technically they are yours but the game recognizes them as outsiders.

What do you think?

Sorry if this sounds weird or has been discusssed before xD;
Old January 31st, 2011 (12:53 AM).
Ryden
Friendly Lurker

Nature: Relaxed
The only problem I have with traded pokemon is the locking on renaming of them. I get there reasoning behind it, but the in game trainer you can trade with just come up with some of the worse nicknames I've seen.

As for your what if. While technically they are yours as a person still, the trainer you are playing is no longer then same one as the last file. No real harm in it outside of the fact using the pokemon might be problematic until you have the appropriate badges to control them with your current trainer.

Old January 31st, 2011 (02:45 AM).
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
What I like about traded Pokemon is that they gain more EXP when they beat a Pokemon. I also like how some can be obtained within the game itself. What I don't like is if you don't have enough gym badges, they don't obey you (not attacking, using the wrong move, attacking itself and going to sleep).

Old January 31st, 2011 (07:08 AM).
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I like the boosted EXP and dislike the disobedience. But for some reason I prefer that all the Pokemon I use to play through the game aren't "outsiders", even if they aren't technically found in the game (Example: For my Platinum team, I traded over Meowth and Trapinch eggs to the game so they would hatch in Platinum and share my trainer's ID number with my other team Pokemon). Don't ask why, it's just one of those little quirks I have that I like all of my team Pokemon to have my trainer's ID No.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP

Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old January 31st, 2011 (08:41 AM).
jab2033
Exit Light, Enter Night

Nature: Calm
Send a message via AIM to jab2033
Yeah the boosted Exp is really nice. Especially if you give the traded poke a Lucky Egg or Exp. Share. It really speeds up training time.

I don't like like that you can't change the nickname or that it won't obey you if you don't have certain badges, though.

Sleep with one eye open, gripping your pillow tight
Exit light, enter night
Take my hand
We're off to Never-Never Land
Old January 31st, 2011 (10:27 AM).
Anna
(( and whisper my name as you do it ))
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I like the boosted Exp gain and dislike the name lock. That's about all.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old January 31st, 2011 (10:30 AM).
Haberdasher
suffers from nostalgia

Nature: Jolly
I like the boosted EXP, and the extra Lotto chances (can't forget that!). I dislike the disobedience, though it's really only been an issue for me once or twice, and the lack of renaming. Why must my HOUNDOOM be forever named HOUNDOOM? I may end up retrading with a friend solely to change nicknames.
Old January 31st, 2011 (10:33 AM).
Sydian
1000 forms of fear

Nature: Timid
Love the exp, hate the name problem. That's about all you really can say here though, lmao. Don't know a lot of people that aren't going to like the extra exp points.
Old January 31st, 2011 (11:05 AM).
Meduza
Majestic Dawn

You should be allowed to nickname traded Pokemon. Especially if it has a name I don't like.

Pokémon of the Day

Rotom
February 25, 2011
Old January 31st, 2011 (11:13 AM).
Ryden
Friendly Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haberdasher View Post
I like the boosted EXP, and the extra Lotto chances (can't forget that!). I dislike the disobedience, though it's really only been an issue for me once or twice, and the lack of renaming. Why must my HOUNDOOM be forever named HOUNDOOM? I may end up retrading with a friend solely to change nicknames.
holy crap, I forget about the extra lotto chances XD
The disobedience to me though was never something I liked or disliked, I just saw it as a little more challenged added to balance out the exp boost.

Old January 31st, 2011 (12:58 PM).
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

I don't like that I can't nickname them. :( That's the only thing that really concerns me with traded Pokémon, and even then when I'm getting Pokémon from friends, I almost always insist they nickname them because it adds something special and reminds me that a friend gave it to me.

The stat boost is nice but I don't like them to get ahead of the rest of my team (I train evenly) and the disobedience... has never kicked in since I first played Pokémon Red so I think it's kind of a moot point for me. :P

I guess all in all, these days I'd rather get eggs than a hatched Pokémon. I'd rather have full control over a Pokémon, its growth, its nickname, etc.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old January 31st, 2011 (01:49 PM).
white lancer
Trainer

I am hesitant about trading anything other than Eggs. I blame the anime episode about Ash trading his Butterfree.
Old January 31st, 2011 (02:24 PM).
Folkedahl
Wizard

Nature: Lax
I name every character on every pokemon game I have Dak, and that way I feel like they're just me traveling around to different places. And then, when I trade my pokemon up to Platinum and such they have the same trainer name. And I usually only trade within my own games. Only other times I've ever traded was when I first got yellow, my cousin gave me his level 100 mewtwo, who was entirely useless, by the way, cause he was very fond of naps. I kind of liked the challenge though. The other time is when I traded my Pidgeot for my friend's Ampharos because I thought it looked so cool, but I eventually just raised my own.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old January 31st, 2011 (02:35 PM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
I think like most people, the ability to not change the nickname, especially Pokémon that are traded in-game, and the fact that they'll disobey you if they get ahead are the two worst aspects I dislike the most about traded Pokémon. I can understand the point of having them disobey, so it's not something I'd want changed in future games, but it does get annoying when they decide to loaf around or even worse...fall asleep. ):

I do like the extra EXP you get from traded Pokémon though; I mean, who doesn't? I usually keep my team's levels balanced, but getting them to level up at a faster pace is nice.

As of late, I prefer to have my Pokémon traded from an egg. This way I'm the OT, it obeys, and I can nickname it to something of my choosing. The only downside is the extra time it takes to gain EXP, but I can live through it.
Old January 31st, 2011 (02:46 PM).
Ayselipera

The number one thing that gets me is how if you level them up too fast before you get the next gym badge they stop listening to you. I especially found this to be a problem in HG/SS. My Pokemon always ended up being extremely under leveled once I got to the Pokemon League so I had to use traded Pokemon for my teams to ensure they would be of a higher level once I made it that far.

Not being able to nickname them doesn't matter to me at all. I never nickname any of my Pokemon to begin with.
Old February 3rd, 2011 (06:16 PM).
GlitchCity

Send a message via Skype™ to GlitchCity
The nicknames. Ugh gosh. Children these days. They give their pokemon some of the most unreasonable names. I recieved a Mismagius with a very inappropriate name, but it was so worth it because it was a shiny :D :D :D
Old February 5th, 2011 (05:54 AM).
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
They do get an exp boost, but you cant nickname them, espicially when there name is terrible
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Old February 5th, 2011 (06:18 AM).
rndm.
Mostly inactive D:

Nature: Lonely
Not being able to nickname them sucks. Mostly when talking about breeding/catching tools like Ditto and Synchronize pokemon.

But the lottery chance is awesome, I've gotten a few Master Balls because of it.
Old February 8th, 2011 (11:21 AM).
RYOUKI
survive the world.

Nature: Timid
Like the boosted exp, hate the fact that it's not 'mine' and I feel like cheating having a Pokemon from someone else. :(
If you appreciate what you got in trade, O-Power the person!
Shout "Nice" to the person whom you traded to!
Together WE can stop the cycle of hate!
It doesn't hurt you to be nice or appreciative.
Don't be that underaged player who doesn't know better!
Good Pokemons to trade: Leftover breeds, Shiny Pokemon, Rare Pokemon, HA Pokemon, Dittos
FC: 4038-6797-4873. Flying-type with Doduo, Tranquil and Tropius.
Remember to tell me if you added me!
Old February 8th, 2011 (01:46 PM).
CrazyJake265
The Doctor

Nature: Calm
I have to have my pokemon to have the same trainer ID. Just bugs me when its not.
Old February 9th, 2011 (02:10 AM).
The Corrupt Plague
Missingno. hunter

Nature: Naughty
I like using them because of the increased experience, the fact that they are essential to winning the lottery, and the fact that I just have another unique specimen. The only real thing that I don't like is not being able to rename them. Sure, I have seen some really cool ones, but I have also seen some that were really stupid.

Credit goes to Team Brushfire for the awesome banner!
Old February 9th, 2011 (10:30 AM).
MysticFlygon
Rookie Hacker

Nature: Naive
I just hate when I get a Pokemon from GTS and I can't rename it from the usual bad nicknames I get from GTS.

Soul Silver FC: 0217 9584 1711
Old February 9th, 2011 (11:22 AM).
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
I don't really dislike anything about traded Pokemon, except if they come from an unknown place like the GTS there's always a chance it could be hacked :/

I love the fact that it get's boosted EXP <3
Old February 11th, 2011 (06:52 PM).
Elder Trainer

The nickname issue would only bother me if I received one in a trade that had a really ridiculous or offensive one. Has yet to happen, thankfully.

The only thing that really bothers me is the disobedience issue. I find myself wanting to start over with a team I've never tried before (get bored with the early Pokemon fairly quickly), but with the day care several hours of gameplay away (so I can't start with freshly hatched Pokemon) and the fact that traded Pokemon won't listen after a certain point, it's just too much of an irritation to think about. Wouldn't be such a big deal if there was more variety early on, but what are you gonna do?
Old February 12th, 2011 (02:03 AM).
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

I like the fact that you gain 1.5EXP but dislike the disloyalty. It is just annoying if you are still mid-game.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links