• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Screenshot/Music Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
I've been busy redesigning the tileset for the first gym, wanted to see what people think of the new look:

Spoiler:

It's a bug-type gym.

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
Your "Pokemon Adventure" game looks better and better with every screenshot :D

Thankyou! :D I really appreciate that. I'm taking a lot of time in getting the next update out; mainly because I want to include a character portrait with the text, so you can see who is speaking. I am using the VS Sprite style for the portraits, however, I am awful at drawing them so it is taking a long time lol.

Ryan Hekk

Game Developer
Years
Your game really doesn't need the RPG elements, Rossay. I think it would be credible enough with the platforming game element. Playing the demo, the overworld felt slow walking through it, whereas the platforming Route 1 level as Marill felt so great to play, comparable to the likes of Sonic and Mario.

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
Your game really doesn't need the RPG elements, Rossay. I think it would be credible enough with the platforming game element. Playing the demo, the overworld felt slow walking through it, whereas the platforming Route 1 level as Marill felt so great to play, comparable to the likes of Sonic and Mario.

Then I think you will be pleased with what is coming in the next update as I am removing the overworld and replacing it with a map that you simply select routes from so that the overall pace and flow of the game isn't diminished.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
Luka, all these features are great, but you're not showing us any actual gameplay from the storyline. All you're displaying is just features.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Luka, all these features are great, but you're not showing us any actual gameplay from the storyline. All you're displaying is just features.

Heh....that is very true. But it's something I do intentionally. I just believe that the eye candy should be the functions and the systems of the game, and that the story should be discovered within the game. If I told you everything right now, where would be the real excitement of playing the game? Besides, the BC thread is locked, on purpose too, and I come here once in a while just to show off some of the systems I've done.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Heh....that is very true. But it's something I do intentionally. I just believe that the eye candy should be the functions and the systems of the game, and that the story should be discovered within the game. If I told you everything right now, where would be the real excitement of playing the game? Besides, the BC thread is locked, on purpose too, and I come here once in a while just to show off some of the systems I've done.
But then, surely the point of a game is to play the game? These features you're showing off look fine and pretty and all, but they add nothing to the actual game. I'd understand if they were mini-games or a fancy new message system, but that's not what you're doing. If these features you're showing us didn't exist, the game would be just as good.

I notice you have the location window show up outside the actual game part of the screen, but not the messages. If you're going to have the game itself only take up half the screen (an utterly stupid idea in its own right), you could at least not have the messages cover up part of the game. It's not like there's no space to spare.

It's frankly disappointing. Not only are you suffering Duke Nukem Forever Syndrome, you're not even trying to improve the game - you're making doodle apps. I'll bet you haven't even applied it to the trainer card to let players sign it, which is the only possible game-related point it could have. I definitely think you've forgotten you're making a Pokémon game here.

I would have said all this in the Blue Chrome thread, but as you say, it's locked.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2024
Yeah, Maruno is right!
For me is better to release a full game the most fast possible, even with unfinished sprites! After going to improve it (like Raptor Ex). Try to think like your fans that need to wait tons of year to see the full game (if it come out)!

Last edited:

Geeked

Pokemon Crimson Version
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 9, 2012

I believe this as well, that's the purposes in this thread:

This thread is for all purposes intended to be a place where developers wishing only to show off individual screenshots can do so.

So basically Luka is doing what this thread is intended for, am I right? If you want information then you should just visit his thread and view the info he has for us already, or just wait for him to re-open his thread.

Also I agree with Maruno:

Maruno said:
the game itself only take up half the screen (an utterly stupid idea in its own right)

That's pretty stupid, but that's my opinion. I liked the old dual screen you had, it looked very nice and went well with the other graphics in the game.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
I think the new screen resolution is really great. I don't mind it taking up space.
I would play the game itself in the same size anyway, so what's the problem with extra space around it for HUD-stuff?

I really love your systens Luka, they're really awesome.
I really enjoyed the Area-names showing up as a "speech-bubble" from that little (i)!

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
I'd like to take the time and thank both sides for taking their time and writing constructive criticism. I may not agree with everyone, but I really do take all of you into consideration. So let me give you my response:
But then, surely the point of a game is to play the game? These features you're showing off look fine and pretty and all, but they add nothing to the actual game. I'd understand if they were mini-games or a fancy new message system, but that's not what you're doing. If these features you're showing us didn't exist, the game would be just as good.
Personally I don't agree with your point said here. I think that systems have a lot of influence over what the Game Play feels like. Also I'd like to state that they do add to the game, as they allow the user to customize the way they'd like to play my interpretation of Pokemon. I prefer customization...a lot, and I really do believe that it does elevate the personal feel for a game. Also from personal experience, I beat the official Pokemon games quite quickly, then run out of things to do, get bored of them and don't play them again. This is not what I wish to happen with Blue Chrome. You may consider the little things I put in as pointless, but they are here to allow the player to be distracted from the game itself. With the ability to download Apps, I'll also be able to release the game, and just host the apps online, and everyone will be able to download those without downloading the whole game again. Just the way I see things so far.
If you're going to have the game itself only take up half the screen (an utterly stupid idea in its own right)
It may be just me, but you're contradicting yourself here. The old dual screen system (which no one had objections to), is exactly that - half the screen for game play, half for interface. Technically I've enlarged the screen since this one is actually 600 x 400 while the standard DS one is 512 x 384. I've tried using larger screen sizes than the current one, but it just looks weird and wrong (not to mention the enormous lag problem). Frankly, I was the one disappointed seeing that most of Blue Chrome's systems became less and less unique. There is no point now in having a DS system when even the least experienced game maker, can just randomly download a starter kit and have it themselves. Some of the features I implemented into Blue Chrome, were beginning to be copied, and in my opinion, Blue Chrome's charm was fading. So I needed something new that would stand out once more, and show that the competition is up - because that's what a lot is about: competition.
It's frankly disappointing. Not only are you suffering Duke Nukem Forever Syndrome, you're not even trying to improve the game - you're making doodle apps. I'll bet you haven't even applied it to the trainer card to let players sign it, which is the only possible game-related point it could have. I definitely think you've forgotten you're making a Pokémon game here.
I'm sorry I'm not able to satisfy everyone, but I want Blue Chrome to be a step from other fan games, and a step in my dev progress. I too feel that I have been crossing the lines with the things I put inside, but is it really that bad? Is it really so bad to have more than less? It might be pointless to you, but it makes me glad to know that people won't get bored of my game as soon as they beat that Elite 4. On another note, previously you mentioned earlier that you aren't against having mini games, but are against my doodle apps - well...the doodle apps are a replacement for the minigames. Unfortunately I don't have any ideas for any minigames but I had plenty of doodle apps to spare, so I did that.
Yeah, Maruno is right!
For me is better to release a full game the most fast possible, even with unfinished sprites! After going to improve it (like Raptor Ex). Try to think like your fans that need to wait tons of year to see the full game (if it come out)!
That, on the other hand, would imply rushing the game, which would significantly decrease the game's quality. Then you wouldn't be happy with the game either...
I think the new screen resolution is really great. I don't mind it taking up space.
I would play the game itself in the same size anyway, so what's the problem with extra space around it for HUD-stuff?
The extra space around the screen isn't going to be wasted. Like you implied, it will be for the HUD to display other things such as the Hygiene system, time, weather and whatever else I put in there.

I'd like to apologize in advance to the mods for clutting the thread with off topic stuff, so I'd like to end it now. If you want to say anything else, or give any other feedback, feel free to PM/VM whenever you want (that goes for replying to this post now). I don't want to be a reason for a thread to drift off topic, or get locked due to irrelevance.

Years
Some of the apps. look very cool, but some of them ain't that much of a need, like the Drawing tool. Though, i got a suggestion to make the game cooler, maybe you have already done this idk. Though you should make it you have to buy apps, with pokemon money you earn, that would make it more interesting.

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
Wanted to share some screenshots of two new things: 1) The first of 3 new playable Pokemon, Pansear (can been seen moving around & using Fire Punch) and 2) A new location, Ochre Lighthouse -- which has just been taken over by Team Rocket (naturally, you're going to have to evict them).

screenshot109.png

screenshot102.png

screenshot101.png

Thoughts and opinions please.

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2012
Just a couple of screens showcasing the "going into building" thing I'm doing for my game.

Spoiler:

Years
Something to show!
A first look at something cool for my Game, Pokemon Almodine:

Spoiler:

Thanks to Mosssky for helping me by writing a small program to send files :)

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
Lookin' good, Chris. ;)
Although, if you're making a Pokémon game, shouldn't you be using a Pokémon font and windowskin?

Anywho, I have a screen of my own. Bit outdated, but oh well. :P

capture023.png

What are those Taillows doing there? ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back