• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Wind~

Detective
Years
So, if anyone's checked my RP (shreds of time) could tyhey tell me what they think of it?
Also, if you were accepted to it, could you pm or tell me here if you're still in?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Yay, my first RP got accepted!
Now just gotta wait for people to join it [Its the one called Crime & Punishment]
I'm nervous because its my first try at even starting an RP and it succeeded...
I'm afraid i'll mess it up somehow........

It's really dark. The system with giving the players jobs to perform sounds great. Like PMD but much more mature, eh? And the setting is interesting.

What do you mean with mess it up?

So, if anyone's checked my RP (shreds of time) could tyhey tell me what they think of it?
Also, if you were accepted to it, could you pm or tell me here if you're still in?

It's fun with new regions, as long as you describe the areas good enough so that people with not so vivid imagination feel they can RP easily enough. Also, the story really is shrouded... but I clicked all the spoilers xD If you really have a plot set up after what happens in the tower, it can be quite interesting I think :3

Zamorak

Well, i'm back =P
Years
Their are any number of ways for me to mess up, despite already having a half-made plot[leniency while still having something to follow] I might drive the story into a subplot I can't get out of.
Also for Shreds of Time i'm still ready for that, I have OCD about this site so check back about once every 4 to 6 hours when i'm awake and not at school.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Their are any number of ways for me to mess up, despite already having a half-made plot[leniency while still having something to follow] I might drive the story into a subplot I can't get out of.
Also for Shreds of Time i'm still ready for that, I have OCD about this site so check back about once every 4 to 6 hours when i'm awake and not at school.

If that happens, see it as a challenge for your imagination >:)

The warden

I'm back!
Years
For a while now, since September I think, I've been planning a role play, as of yet I don't have a name for it. I have been scanning through this thread and it seams that a lot of RPers on the site don't like slice of life RPs it left me thinking about just how well my RP would go down, as it is it would be a long RP as it is set across four months, and most of it is simply day to day character interaction and development. Anyway This is what I have got so far, if any one has any advice or comments I would be very happy to hear them.

p.s. Seven Deadly Sins is kind of what I'm calling it at the moment but I don't think it is quite fitting. Also there will only be 7 6 slots one for each of the deadly sins, minus the slot reserved for myself. Also each character will be paired with one of the heavenly virtues, but not the one that is paired with their sin e.g. sloth and kindness is allowed but not envy and kindness.

Spoiler:

~Wind~

Detective
Years
Just to check, we're only allowed in three roleplays at a time right?
Also, sounds good, Warden.
If we're allowed in more than 3 RP's, I'll definately join.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I think you're allowed to be in as many RPs as you want :) As long as you stay active in all of them. People will get sad if you leave their RP for another one, probably.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
There are indeed many RPs around now. I've noticed most of them are RPs with one-liners (FORBIDDEN AAAAAAH *yanks Michaela's sleeve*) or at least one-paragraphs thrown forth and back between the players with a lot of personal interaction to get the story moving.

And at the same time, there's a decrease of those novel-length-post RPs (if there ever were many) like New Johto League or New Professor In Town. I'm hoping we're not moving in the direction towards the kind of RPs on Bulbagarden forums... they're nowhere near as organized and deep as PC's are, and I'm proud of our RP section even if I haven't been hanging around here for long ^^ (I've been stalkin and readin your RPs for much longaah than I've been postinnn @___@ )

But still, as long as we keep the system with threads having to be approved before visible, as well as enforcing the general RP rules, the faster, shorter-posts-RPs are a good thing for PC methinks. Because when I wasn't yet an oldie at PC (he's calling himself an oldie, SHOOT HIM *poff*) I was afraid of trying to RP here :B because it looked so advanced...

Now we've made room for some simpler RPs (I'm not saying they're not as enjoyable as the deeper, higher rated ones, mind you. We all like different things. ) that can let newer RPers train themselves as well as older RPers lean back and join an adventure that's not too demanding or exhausting for a change~

Don't you think? :3

Ash_Ketchum123

That one guy
Years
Ace agrees with RHCP *place stamp of approval here*

Well, I'm not saying I'm a veteran in RPing, (I'm actually more of an advanced beginner or something...okay, just a beginner) it's just that when I first visited PC, I actually bumped into the RP corner by accident. I kind of read some, then I got interested and wanted to join one, but I was afraid to because almost all of them required high standards, something Ace thinks he cannot achieve. But now that we have short and simpler RPs, this would help the beginning RPers to practice their writing skills, and expand their imagination.

Allllthooouuuuugh....... I still prefer novel-length-post RPs simply because I love reading stories other people wrote.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Yeah, I love it when the GMs of novel-ish RPs make sure to let in serious, good RPers. Because even if you're not let in yourself, you can be sure there's good stories to read ^^ I rarely have patience or interest enough to read stories in the Fiction area on PC... But the RPs are different. More alive. n___n

Ash_Ketchum123

That one guy
Years
I think it's because a bunch of people are actually working together to make a great story rather than thinking of one yourself. Different perspectives on one situation is one of the reasons I like novel-ish RPs. It's like when you're watching a concert on TV. At home, you can only see what the cameraman wants you to see, but when your backstage, it's a whole different thing ^^ (Not sure if I gave a correct example, though xD)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Yeah I understand where you're coming from. But still, novel RPs could get a bit lonesome because you don't interact as often with other players as in shorter posts RPs. Some GMs want you to write joint posts for that, and if you're doing it over PM it can take a while.

Plus, writing a post becomes a project, while in shorter posts RPs, you can go in and do your part once in a while ^^ Then again, in shortRPs people are more depending on you, if you're playing out something together, while in novelRPs you can pretty much go about your own pace.

There's clearly ups and downs to both, so it's probably good we have both here ^^ Although there's only 2 novelRPs atm I think, and no spots open... *makes evil plan*
Meh, I haven't got the time to GM an RP like that now, so someone else should maybe ^^

Ash_Ketchum123

That one guy
Years
Really? Only two? Ace must convince someone to make one. To the thinking cha- wait. Nah. Maybe later. Thinking can wait.

Anyways, I can't GM one too, since I seriously suck at GMing RPs. My last RPdidn't go that well. It didn't even officially start as I expected. But I guess it's because I didn't think through the plan of making a Pokemon Ranger RP. Or it's because of me being such a bad GM... *insert extremely sad face here*

I suddenly have this crazy urge of making an Animorph RP... I know someone already made one, but I think it got shut down for some reason I can't remember...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Well, PC needs more non-pokémon RPs as well! *puts out chest* Or maybe not, since most aren't very successful => people don't want/need them xD But try :3

And if you think you "suck" at being a GM, what other way is there to improve than to try over and over again? And learn from each mistake. The first RP I ever created... well it was actually pretty successful xD (not on PC) but I was the one who pretty much dropped out :E I had reasons though! yeah, that's what all GMs say

But seriously. Trial and error is the way to go. And look at other RPs; what works and what fails, what do people like, what have never been tried before? And a large thing about making an RP successful, I guess... is picking your players carefully. The quality of the players = the quality of the RP. No exceptions.

And, since this thread (a long time ago xD) was used for advertising, I'll advertise a little~ Unless the 6th player of the CAPTURED Version RP shows up soon, there will be a spot open. In a matter of days at least. *tempts with cookies*

Ash_Ketchum123

That one guy
Years
Maybe I'll try turning that Animorph RP idea to reality. But I'm afraid it would just die out like most of the non-Pokémon related RPs in PC. *ponders for a moment* What if they transformed into Pokémon instead? It's already been done before, but maybe I'll try bringing it back.

CAPTURED Version RP, you say? I actually wanted to join that one, but I guess I was too late *super-ultramagnetic sad face* I guess I'd try to sign-up if one spot opens (and I don't want to sound mean, but I'm hoping a spot does open soon :badsmile:)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
xD Kiiiind of like the one I'm picking players for right now? Only mine is set in japanese feudal (medieval...) times, so it's a bit different I guess. I think they're usually pretty popular, pokémorph RPs.

In CAPTURED, we've been waiting for 3 or 4 days now for him to even show signs of life. And since it's only the start of the RP, I'm getting a bit impatient... we'll seeee. make your SU in advance 8D

Hm, actually, there are no general RP rules about how a GM must choose his participants, are there? So if I find a person who wants to be in a RP I've made, and I approve of him/her, then I can simply let him/her in if they put up a decent enough SU. Riiight? There shouldn't be anything stopping GMs from asking his friends, or in this thread even for interested players and choose from them.

Since there can be "private" roleplays on PC as well, I mean. It's not exactly open for any participants there.

Ash_Ketchum123

That one guy
Years
*checks rulebook* Nope. *throws it at some cats*

I better get my SU ready then xD

Anyway, yeah, pokémorph RPs are getting popular. Although they are fun and really gets your creative juices going, I still like the normal "travel around the regions and beat gym leaders on the way" RPs. There's just something about them that never gets old. (Like Pokémon itself :D)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I agree 8D Which is why I'm trying not to drop the "road to pokémon master" RP. Akura just challenged you btw~

It doesn't matter how much some veteran RPers say a plot needs creativity and twists and new, different settings; the journey RPs will never grow old, there are always people who want to play them. *raises hand*

Doctor Who

Saving the earth with a bowtie
Years
Just to join the conversation, I'm thinking of creating a second novel-length journey rp because really, there's far too little now. But first I shall have to resuscitate the first *sigh*

In any case I've been waiting for ages for someone to open a good journey roleplay, been itching to join one but none of them with spots are novel-length and I strictly believe in GM-ing my own roleplays ONLY. So I'm hoping that someone will, or I can at least help keep them going by creating another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back