The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 17th, 2011 (09:14 AM). Edited February 6th, 2011 by DNZGames.
DNZGames
Team Atmos Leader

Nature: Serious

Behold the might of the Project Flawless...

Working on GameMaker8 Pro to create an 3D enhanced remake of Pokémon Emerald.
(This is currrently a work in progress and will have changes over time)
(Also, over time, I shall make this thread look nice and fancy)
(For an example of the 3D style we're using, visit here!

Project Flawless
otherwise known as
Pokémon Flawless Emerald
(The Black Icon is the Special Edition Icon - The Green Icon is the Standard Edition Icon)

Start to Rustboro Gym
Spoiler:
Upon arriving in Hoenn, you get to see your new house. You soon meet your neighbours, including a young boy/girl your age. You then get to meet Prof Birch, who is in trouble, but allows you to have your first Pokémon nonetheless.

From here on, you must travel to Petalburg, the nearest city. Here, you find your Dad is the Gym Leader, and you help a local boy called Wally to catch his first Pokémon.

After travelling on through Route 104 you approach Petalburg Woods. Here, a villain working for Team Magma is trying to steal something from an innocent Devon worker. Once in Rustboro, having defeated the grunt, you may challenge Roxanne, the Gym Leader. Rustboro Gym's leader is Roxanne, who uses Rock-type Pokemon. Once obtaining your badge, Team Aqua have decided to steal the item Team Magma were after, straight from Devon Corporation.

Rusturf Tunnel to Slateport Beach
Spoiler:
After the Aqua Grunt has run off, you can chase him. You soon find he has ran off to Route 116, and so you must follow on the same Route. Once yuo reach the end of Route 116 you enter Rusturf Tunnel, where the Grunt has cornered himself. You can defeat him, and you get the Devon Goods and a Wingull back. Once you leave the tunnel you find out the Wingull belonged to Mr Briney, who will now allow you to travel via boat across the watery Routes. Return the Devon Goods to Devon to receive your PokéNav.

Meet Mr Briney on Route 104 to set off in his small little motor-boat. You can only travel direct to and from Dewford for now. Once in Dewford, you may want to defeat Brawly, who uses Fighting type Pokemon. Once defeated you can use Flash, so you can visit Granite Cave. This cave is much easier with Flash, and once you've got through it Steven Stone wishes for you to deliver his letter to the Devon Corporation Owner. If you do so you can receive a nifty little thing called the Exp Share. From here on, you can now travel to and from Slateport, Dewford or Route 104. After arriving at Slateport's beach, you can battle a few people, or head directly North to Slateport City.

Slateport City to Mauville City
Spoiler:
Upon arriving in Slateport you'll notice a lot of Aqua grunts over the place, blocking the north exit, walking around and blocking the museum. To gain access to the museum, and rid of Aqua, you must visit the boat workshop. After talking to everyone, and leaving, Team Aqua have gained entry to the museum, where they are trying to steal some submarine plans. You battle a few of them and get them to leave the city.

Once you get outside again there isn't much else of interest, other than the Battle Tent. If you decide to head north, you will come across the Cycle Road - you can't use as you haven't got a bike yet - and the Trick House. Nothing is of interest yet to the west, but east of the Trick House is the Cycle Underpass. Travel down this route to battle not only lots if wild Pokémon and a few trainers, but also your Rival. Your rival will congratulate you on having a strong bond with your Pokémon, and training them well. He/she will walk off north, leaving you to follow and reach Mauville City.

Story 58%
Tiling 3%
Mapping 1%
Music 4%
Spriting 1%
Eventing 1%
Scripting 31%

These are the previous RMXP screenshots. Until I have modelled the buildings in 3D, no GM8P screens in 3D are available.
Spoiler:

Credit to Pokemon-Diamond (DeviantArt.com) for the tiles.

Credit to PokeGamer for the original map.

3D Overworld (like the DS)
Animated Battle Sprites
Double Battles (no Triple, for now)
Double Wild Battles
ALL NEW Team Atmos
ALL NEW Hoenn TV Station in Mauville
ALL NEW Sunset Island and Amity Island
National PokéDex with 649 Entries
Unique Overworlds for EVERY Trainer Type
Includes Characters from the Anime and/or Manga
Online Features (Battles, Trades, etc)
Patch Downloader
(Note - These are all concept ideas. It is not guaranteed that all of these will be in the final release. I hope we can manage to though)
2 Versions : Standard and Special
Standard Edition will be the Public Download.
Special Edition will feature all Downloadable Content from the beginning. It will for Private Download only.

No demo to date

NOTE - People can be more than one position!
NOTE - All positions (other than Project Designer) have availability. Names in brackets "([name])" are possibly that position.

PROJECT DESIGNER
DNZGames

DEVELOPER
DNZGames
PokeGamer

SCRIPTER
PokeGamer

MAPPER
DNZGames

3D MODELLER
DNZGames

STORY WRITER
DNZGames

TILE ARTIST
Pokemon-Diamond
BoOmxBiG

SPRITE ARTIST
LostImpact
J3010
Chris22464
ozumadrew

OVERWORLD SPRITER
Kyledove/Kymotonian
LostImpact

DNZGames
PokeGamer
LostImpact

PokeGamer
Pokemon-Diamond
hyperq123
J3010
Chris22464
LostImpact
Kyledove/Kymotonian
ozumadrew

Userbars

HTML Code:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=241249][IMG]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8578/profla.png[/IMG][/URL]

HTML Code:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=241249][IMG]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/4973/proflame.png[/IMG][/URL]

HTML Code:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=241249][IMG]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3043/proflaw.png[/IMG][/URL]

HTML Code:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=241249][IMG]http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4788/blanksupport.png[/IMG][/URL]
Stamps

HTML Code:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=241249][IMG]http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/2218/aquastamp.png[/IMG][/URL]

HTML Code:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=241249][IMG]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1015/atmosstamp.png[/IMG][/URL]

HTML Code:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=241249][IMG]http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/6484/magmastamp.png[/IMG][/URL]
Old January 17th, 2011 (08:29 PM).
tylerab01
Pokemon AquaHarmony

Nature: Bold
Nice DNZ, I am a graphic artist if you need my help with anything?

Old January 17th, 2011 (11:16 PM).
DNZGames
Team Atmos Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerab01 View Post
Nice DNZ, I am a graphic artist if you need my help with anything?
It would incredibly appreciated if you could finish off these, all directions and movement : http://kymotonian.deviantart.com/gal...et=24#/d28fhkq

Thanks.
Old January 18th, 2011 (11:31 AM).
bigplrbear
C# programmer for the IAPL

Nature: Sassy
This looks like an awesome project. I can't wait to play it when you're done!
Old January 19th, 2011 (11:23 AM).
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Nature: Calm
Wow, a 3D remake of emerald?
it has potential, im keeping an eye on this one. ;)
Old February 2nd, 2011 (07:45 AM).
Rossay
Quack quack

Nature: Careful
While GM8's 3D functions allow for you to mimic the semi-3D style of the newer pokemon games, I think you're going to find the task of programming a working pokemon engine in GM8 a far larger task. There was a working one back in GM5 but I haven't seen a really good open-source one since then. That said, I wish you the best of luck as it would be nice to see a pokemon game made in GM8 rather than RMXP for once lol.

Old February 2nd, 2011 (07:48 AM).
MeerFall
Strong, Competitive, Cool!

Nature: Brave
if you need any action parts i can offer you ideas if needed
Old February 2nd, 2011 (08:41 AM).
DNZGames
Team Atmos Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossay View Post
While GM8's 3D functions allow for you to mimic the semi-3D style of the newer pokemon games, I think you're going to find the task of programming a working pokemon engine in GM8 a far larger task. There was a working one back in GM5 but I haven't seen a really good open-source one since then. That said, I wish you the best of luck as it would be nice to see a pokemon game made in GM8 rather than RMXP for once lol.
Well, I've started off by getting help from PokeGamer (an experienced GM8 user) who has made this : http://www.yoyogames.com/games/12998...dgelbe-edition . With that as a base, and the battle, contest and menu systems that will programmed with assistance from him, I think that the challenge of making the game work should be easier than you've suggested.

Old February 2nd, 2011 (08:52 AM).
Rossay
Quack quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNZGames View Post
Well, I've started off by getting help from PokeGamer (an experienced GM8 user) who has made this : http://www.yoyogames.com/games/12998...dgelbe-edition . With that as a base, and the battle, contest and menu systems that will programmed with assistance from him, I think that the challenge of making the game work should be easier than you've suggested.
Well, it took GameFortress well over a year to finish Pokemon Twilight and he's a very very experienced GM user. I assume you're going to program it all using GM8P data structures? I didn't intend to sound like a total kill-joy, I'm just saying is, as someone who has used GM for over 5 years, I have seen hundreds of attempts at pokemon projects and only 1 completed version due to the sheer volume of work and complexity; though, as you have an experienced partner hopefully that will help you on your way.

P.S. the tilesets in the RMXP screenshots look good.

Old February 3rd, 2011 (09:09 AM).
DNZGames
Team Atmos Leader

Quote:
Well, it took GameFortress well over a year to finish Pokemon Twilight and he's a very very experienced GM user. I assume you're going to program it all using GM8P data structures? I didn't intend to sound like a total kill-joy, I'm just saying is, as someone who has used GM for over 5 years, I have seen hundreds of attempts at pokemon projects and only 1 completed version due to the sheer volume of work and complexity; though, as you have an experienced partner hopefully that will help you on your way.

P.S. the tilesets in the RMXP screenshots look good.
it'll all be done on GM8 and I do intend on finishing it, and not just trying it then giving up. i'm glad PokeGamer is assisting me ass I'm not very good with GML at all, so i'm working on graphics and 3d models.
and thanks, those tiles are by Pokemon-Diamond on DeviantArt.

Old February 3rd, 2011 (09:48 AM).
Rossay
Quack quack

Quote:
it'll all be done on GM8 and I do intend on finishing it, and not just trying it then giving up. i'm glad PokeGamer is assisting me ass I'm not very good with GML at all, so i'm working on graphics and 3d models.
and thanks, those tiles are by Pokemon-Diamond on DeviantArt.
Well I hope he's pro at GML then . He should do it with GM8P's Data Structure functions as that will make the task a bit easier. Also, I had a thought, couldn't you just rip the 3D models from the BW/HGSS ROMs and import them into GM? Might save you some time if it is possible o:

Old February 3rd, 2011 (11:59 AM).
DNZGames
Team Atmos Leader

Quote:
Well I hope he's pro at GML then . He should do it with GM8P's Data Structure functions as that will make the task a bit easier. Also, I had a thought, couldn't you just rip the 3D models from the BW/HGSS ROMs and import them into GM? Might save you some time if it is possible o:
well, he's ripped some, but as official Hoenn (and the custom) tilesets look nothing like anything from DPPtHGSSBW then either editing the models (if he sends me some) and creating models are the way forward at the moment.

Old February 3rd, 2011 (12:39 PM).
Rossay
Quack quack

Quote:
well, he's ripped some, but as official Hoenn (and the custom) tilesets look nothing like anything from DPPtHGSSBW then either editing the models (if he sends me some) and creating models are the way forward at the moment.
Ahh. You had to pick the region without premade models lol. Best of luck with that! I hope this works out because it will be amazing once it's done.

Old February 3rd, 2011 (05:19 PM).
ozumadrew
Beginning Trainer

Hey you forgot to add me to the team list :] lol,also, would you like me to create fakemon for the game?
Old February 4th, 2011 (09:21 AM).
DNZGames
Team Atmos Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozumadrew View Post
Hey you forgot to add me to the team list :] lol,also, would you like me to create fakemon for the game?
You are on the Positions area, and the thanks to. Only those who contribute a lot towards the project earn to be in the Team Flawless.

Sadly, no Fakemon will be in the game. However, spriting all Hoenn trainers (non-important characters, eg Gym Leaders) would be appreciated.

Old February 4th, 2011 (10:04 AM).
Ryan Hekk
Game Developer

Nature: Calm
I look forward to getting the chance to play this game. In the meantime, I shall watch this project with admiration and intrigue.

*Watches project with admiration and intrigue.*

Title: Pokemon Generations: The Kanto Chronicles

Named on January 28, 2011.
Old February 5th, 2011 (01:30 AM).
DNZGames
Team Atmos Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hekk View Post
I look forward to getting the chance to play this game. In the meantime, I shall watch this project with admiration and intrigue.

*Watches project with admiration and intrigue.*
Thanks for the admiration and intrigue
I will do my best to amaze you with it, as I will for everyone!

Old February 5th, 2011 (09:44 AM). Edited June 12th, 2011 by WackyTurtle.
WackyTurtle
Developer

Nature: Relaxed
Remakes can be either awful or great (Metallic Silver is the latter), and this one looks like one of the better ones. I'd love to try it out at one point.
Old February 11th, 2011 (06:19 PM).
DaSpirit
Mad Programmer

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Data Structures? I found them to be quiet slow as compared to 2-dimensional arrays. Besides, aren't these two the same:
ds_grid_set(id, x, y, val);
and
id[x,y]=val;
With the latter being not only faster but also less memory consuming. The only logical point to use a GM data structure is if you want to change all values in a region, which is not useful for Pokemon as well as that you can do the same with a for loop.

Back to the topic, this game looks like it has potential. I remember playing the game that you posted on YoYoGames and I wondered how he made it so perfect. I always wanted an Emerald remake, especially in 3D. Your screens look nice as well. I also wanted to make a 3D overworld, but it just never turned out right for me. I could just never match the same angle and distance of the camera that DPPHGSS has.
Old February 16th, 2011 (11:03 AM).
NatureKeeper
No longer active here.

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NatureKeeper Send a message via Skype™ to NatureKeeper
Something that is always a stand in the way. How can you make a whole region appear without having to putting them in one room...?

It is a mystery.
Old February 16th, 2011 (02:21 PM). Edited February 16th, 2011 by Rossay.
Rossay
Quack quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSpirit View Post
Data Structures? I found them to be quiet slow as compared to 2-dimensional arrays. Besides, aren't these two the same:
ds_grid_set(id, x, y, val);
and
id[x,y]=val;
With the latter being not only faster but also less memory consuming. The only logical point to use a GM data structure is if you want to change all values in a region, which is not useful for Pokemon as well as that you can do the same with a for loop.
A little incorrect I believe; data structures were added to GM because they operate faster than arrays for complex proceedures (i.e. what you'll probably require them for when coding a Pokemon game). The main advantage of using them is because to sort and order a 2D array requires a great deal of difficulty and large sections of GML whereas data structures have built-in functions to do this for you; which, is where you will observe a speed difference is - as the scripting required to sort a 2D array lags more than a ds function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureKeeper View Post
Something that is always a stand in the way. How can you make a whole region appear without having to putting them in one room...?

It is a mystery.
The way they do it in Pokemon is to use several rooms and make the boundaries of the adjacent rooms look identically graphically. Then all you need to do is define a blank room transition and it flows from room to room as if they were a single one. Hope that helps you out a bit.

Old February 17th, 2011 (11:52 AM).
NatureKeeper
No longer active here.

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NatureKeeper Send a message via Skype™ to NatureKeeper
Quote:
The way they do it in Pokemon is to use several rooms and make the boundaries of the adjacent rooms look identically graphically. Then all you need to do is define a blank room transition and it flows from room to room as if they were a single one. Hope that helps you out a bit.
Mine is doesn't have any navigation, it won't really matter. But this is a good trick nevertheless. You can use it, too Mr. DNZ games.
Old February 17th, 2011 (12:23 PM).
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Finally, something in the Hoenn region, I love Pokémon Emerald and will certainly be looking forward to playing this!

Playtime : 35:03 | Badges : 6 | Pokédex : 69
Old February 18th, 2011 (03:20 AM).
Invokez
Formerly Known as SytheXP

Will definately be watching this looks pretty good. Not a fan of the Hoenn Region but maybe you can change my opinion on that region.

Old February 22nd, 2011 (05:49 PM).
DaSpirit
Mad Programmer

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
A little incorrect I believe; data structures were added to GM because they operate faster than arrays for complex proceedures (i.e. what you'll probably require them for when coding a Pokemon game). The main advantage of using them is because to sort and order a 2D array requires a great deal of difficulty and large sections of GML whereas data structures have built-in functions to do this for you; which, is where you will observe a speed difference is - as the scripting required to sort a 2D array lags more than a ds function.
I run only from my experience. Sure, a with a data structure, you can get the values faster but modifying takes a lot longer. I built an A* Pathfinding AI and it was slower using a data structure rather than a simple 2-dimensional array.

Quote:
This is the way that most people do it. It is possible to have the whole region as one room, but it's harder to modify as scrolling to the right array will be a pain. There is a function that deactivates objects out of view, which is really helpful even when not making a whole room region as it speeds the game up quite considerably. The problem with making 1 town each room is that if you mess up 1 town, you have to edit it in 2 different rooms.

If you are a little more advanced, you can make the whole game in 1 room, and the map gets loaded from an array. If you do it this way, you'd have to make your own map creator program and with Game Maker, it might be a little slow on old computers. I made one once, where the whole region was loaded from a text file. Good too, if you want DLC, which was my goal(to download whole regions).
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links