• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

changing/hacking the world map in fr/lg

SPG

Pyroblock
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 4, 2013
Tools you will need-
free space finder
ntme
unLZ.GBA
Cygnus Hex Editor
IrfanVeiw*
Step 1
open up unLZ.GBA and go to about 190, in my case it is 190, click use black/white and you should see this.

Untitled.png

click save as and save it to your desktop (or where ever you like it to be) edit it in paint, or you can start fresh! find a pallet on pc for fr/lg (i know there is one on this forum) here is the one i made

soramap.png

now save it.

Step 2
go back to unLZ.GBA and if you closed it go back to 190 or where the map was and click import and have every thing checked exept import palett. if you did this right you should get an error message like this

error.png

remeber this number (not 0x) in my case D64. now open up free space finder and open your rom.Type in this number you just got (mine is D64) in the dec (it could be hex mine doesnt display it) and click search from the begining of the rom. now type in your new number you just got. (it will be above the dec number aka D56) so mine is 3428. right now it should look like this.

Untitled-2.png

click find, copy the number it gives you and go back to unLZ.GBA

Step 3
try to write the rom again and insert the new offset you just got for the old image offset (dont delet the first 0) before you click ok put this off set without the 0 in note pad or something so you dont lose it. click ok and it should work. minimiz unLZ.GBA because you will need it one last time.

Step 4
open up ntme and open up the map you made in paint. firsts things first, before you start click FR/LG WM. it should look like this.

Untitled-3.png

this part is well... self explanitory. click the blocks on the above map and bring them down to the one that is completly blue. so now it looks like this.

Untitled-4.png

I will say this now! If you take my map you will get reported by me! ok it looks like this now correct? (dont make it right on the edge or it will get cut off in game. when you are done go to file-save tile set and make sure it is in RAW format! close ntme and go back to unLZ.GBA

Step 5
no that you are back in unLZ.GBA you should still be where the map is. so go to load RAW and select the raw you just made. write it to your rom but unselect everything but export image. and click ok if you get an error saying its to big go to free space finder again and do the same thing in step 2 and copy that offset insted of the old one you needed to copy. goto Cygnus Hex Editor and open your rom in it. now look at all these offsets and find witch one is for you (they are by region) these are for the old world map (thank you lu-ho)
Spoiler:

i will need this one

Spoiler:

take the first offset, so mine is 3F089C split the offset in 3 sections like this, 3F 08 9C no that you did that take the first and the last set of numbers so it looks like this 9C 08 3F no add 08 so it looks like this 9C 08 3F 08 take this new offset and search for it in hex editor you should find it. the first one you find is the one you need. now remember the offset i told you to copy? you should still have it, so mine is 71AE14 no do the same thing as before. i'll explain it again if you didnt get it through your head. make it go in 3 sets of 2 71 AE 14 revese the last and first set of numbers 14 AE 71 and now add 08 14 AE 71 08 now insert it in the place where 9C 08 3F 08 was and save the rom and now your done! cheak in game or A-map to see if it worked.

*= might need it if you do open your map go to image- color decrese and click 16. then save it and your done

special thabks tou shiny quagzir (plz correct me if i spellt your name wrong) he helped me with the last few parts to work

Last edited:
Reactions: iv0
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2011
Hi i have created my map but when i try to import it into UNLZ GBA i get an error message saying 'Error, image not indexed.'
What do i do??

Thanks

SPG

Pyroblock
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 4, 2013
Hi i have created my map but when i try to import it into UNLZ GBA i get an error message saying 'Error, image not indexed.'
What do i do??

Thanks
first make a back up just in case because you never know what will happen open up irfan veiw and go to decrease color depth to 16 and save it (but keep the oldder pic) and insert that in to unlz and use the old pic in ntme if the map gets screwed up after you did everything mack a new raw but using the pic with the 16 color depth, saddly this will make some parts of the map look blocky but thats how you do it ^_^ when you are done the pallet wont look like it should.... im still working on that one so you will need to ask some one eles ^_^

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
Years
So wait, what is this supposed to do actually. Obviously not just change the world map, as their are much easier ways without the offsets. Also, The "If you take my map you will get reported by me!" is a bit.. Geez. Just write Above Map (c) SPG or something. Just makes it look neater and friendlier.

SPG

Pyroblock
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 4, 2013
So wait, what is this supposed to do actually. Obviously not just change the world map, as their are much easier ways without the offsets. Also, The "If you take my map you will get reported by me!" is a bit.. Geez. Just write Above Map (c) SPG or something. Just makes it look neater and friendlier.
its supposed to change the world map just like the title implys and that would ruin my map if i did that XD (yes i could make a copy but im to lazy) and there is a easyer way? plz tell me cuz all the tut i found where like this and left out very importaint details so i made this and added them

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
Years
its supposed to change the world map just like the title implys and that would ruin my map if i did that XD (yes i could make a copy but im to lazy) and there is a easyer way? plz tell me cuz all the tut i found where like this and left out very importaint details so i made this and added them
Not on the map -.- instead of the threat. and i looked at some of the other tutorial and your right, they do need the offset, exept one tutorial.

SPG

Pyroblock
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 4, 2013
Not on the map -.- instead of the threat. and i looked at some of the other tutorial and your right, they do need the offset, exept one tutorial.
ok now im confused ~_~ well i got the last part.....

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2011
Okay, so i have made my map, made the raw in NTME, imported (which worked thanks SPG) and then changed the hex code and i am pretty sure i did all this right.
But when i load my rom and try to look at the town map in game it just shows a weird glitch not the map mainly a blue screen.
What have i done wrong and what do i need to do?
Thanks

SPG

Pyroblock
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 4, 2013
Okay, so i have made my map, made the raw in NTME, imported (which worked thanks SPG) and then changed the hex code and i am pretty sure i did all this right.
But when i load my rom and try to look at the town map in game it just shows a weird glitch not the map mainly a blue screen.
What have i done wrong and what do i need to do?
Thanks
this happends sometimes but when you insert the raw the ofset gets changed so you need the new offset hope this helps

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2011
i changed the offset when inserting the RAW but the same thing is still happening, any ideas what it could be?

Thanks

Last edited:

SPG

Pyroblock
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 4, 2013
i changed the offset when inserting the RAW but the same thing is still happening, any ideas what it could be?

Thanks
no, sorry u must have missunderstood, after inserting the raw the offset gets changed atomaticly so you need that new offset, sorry if you misunderstood XD

Forever Alone

Back into rom hacking 8 years later!
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
It doesnt work :'( it comes up bluey/pinky pixels on advanced map, map.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
my hex editor can't find any of the numbers listed for my rom. reversed and with 08, or even just as is. i tried every variation I could think of. up to that point I'm fine. Any ideas on what i could be doing wrong?

SPG

Pyroblock
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 4, 2013
my hex editor can't find any of the numbers listed for my rom. reversed and with 08, or even just as is. i tried every variation I could think of. up to that point I'm fine. Any ideas on what i could be doing wrong?
your most likly using the wrong offset

SPG

Pyroblock
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 4, 2013
i don't quite understand the last part(step 5) it's too complicated O.o
if you load the raw you made on unlz.gba open up a hex editor when do that i'll further instruct you

Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2012
All right...But my town colour is diffrent with my original world map picture town...Can any person help me?

Back