Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub > Beginner’s Lounge
Reload this Page Hack Idea: Pokemon Academy

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Beginner’s Lounge Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Beginner’s Lounge, where if you need a helping hand or want to develop your small ideas, you bring it here. We won't bite.

Old February 6th, 2011 (01:17 AM).
The Family Ghost

Nature: Calm
Opening Statement/Waiver
OK, so first off i should point out that i have ZERO experience with hacking roms, or anything else in that remote area of expertise. that being said, i did have an idea for a hack that may or may not have some potential, but obviously i couldnt make it alone.

The Idea:
So i dont know about the rest of you, but even with new maps, new fakemons, new storylines whatever. i am still getting tired of the same old collect badges and fight the elite 4 template for nearly every pokemon game out there.

my idea to mix up the game would be to create some manner of pokemon academy. the main principle of the game would be to graduate from one level of the academy and ascend to the next by completing tasks in your classes and then eventually battling the teacher or some other sort of boss (replacing gym leaders)

2 ideas i had on how to create wild areas for catching pokemon/battling trainers would be either for the academy to have training sections spanning from grasslands, caves, etc for you to train in, as well as having you complete assignments outside of the academy in towns around the region. The region could be an already existing region, or a newly created one. if it were to be already exhisting my personal preference would be Johto (for nostalgic reasons) but whatever would work easiest is fine with me
it would be ideal to incorporate both of these.
you could have perhaps a training hall on the campus which leads to caves, rooms, etc with different landscape inside of them.

your rival would obviously be a neighbor who is also attending the same academy in your class.

these are just starting ideas, clearly the game isn't ENTIRELY thought out yet.
any input/suggestions/criticism are welcome and appreciated.

The Hacking
okay so as mentioned i have no experience with hacking, i dont know how it works really. i would need a hack team to assist me with all aspects of this project, especially plenty of mapping for the school campus. i would also need some mentoring in whatever my job would be, but im willing to help wherever possible.
on the flipside if you don't want to deal with a hack noob like myself, you can take full control of the project, as long as i am somehow still associated with it. just as like a "concept supervisor" or something similar that at least lets me have some say in the development of the project.

so if anyone likes my idea and wants to get on-board please reply or PM me!

Pokemon Academy Hack: (Help wanted)
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=6504921&posted=1#post6504921
Old February 7th, 2011 (11:55 AM).

wow your very good at stealing ideas.........IF YOU LOOK AT MY POST YOU WOULD SEE ITS THE SAME IDEA.....and i posted it b4 u............................................anyways we could work with each other if u want...............i got SOME hacking experience not much....
Old February 7th, 2011 (02:21 PM).
Yours truly
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Calm down, ziadhe. I doubt that zapht stole your idea because the idea of an academy-style hack is very popular and he could have very easily come up with the idea on his own. In fact, Pokémon (Old) White, in which the player starts off in a Pokémon academy, was released well before I even joined this forum. I wouldn't be so quick to accuse zapht of stealing if I were you.

Brother of Vrai
Old February 7th, 2011 (04:57 PM).
The Family Ghost

yeh dude chill out.
actually i posted this and THEN i read your post and i was like "uhhh... oh. hope that guy doesnt think im copying him >.>"

id be willing to work with you. i was looking into learning how to map a bit.

Old February 11th, 2011 (03:24 PM).
Back in business ~

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to clacla$$$
It sounds like an awesome idea, i may be able to help
Hello, I'm Clacla, Assistant Admin on The Legacy, clacla$$$ here on PC, and Clacla on PHO and TPW. If you want, come and join the new and improved Legacy, where you can meet new people, and just have a good time.
Credits for Volcaron Art
Old February 11th, 2011 (03:31 PM).
Novice Turbo Duelist

Nature: Docile
Ok Academy sounds like my Rp if you ever want a story you can use my Rp's one and also use it's houses/dorms so I don't sue you and I'll love to help with the story.
Old February 13th, 2011 (11:54 PM).
Novice Turbo Duelist

Nature: Docile
Well I emailed you so I'm in basically for the story creating and plots.
Old February 14th, 2011 (12:41 AM).
Strong, Competitive, Cool!

Nature: Brave
i've got good imagenation if you need any ideas on charaters, fakemon, costumes, etc.
Old February 15th, 2011 (04:25 PM).
The Family Ghost

ok so ive received messages from a handful of people interested in helping with this project, however none of us have that much hacking experience. so the only productive thing i think we could work on at the moment is the concept idea for the game. lets get specifics down to make the creation process smoother.

so please share any input, ideas, etc.
i would like to try and avoid this game feeling like a regular old pokemon game in a school setting, so we should come up with unique ways to utilize the (gym leader) bosses and rival characters, as well as the "Team Rocket" of this game.
i think ziadhe had an idea for team rocket stealing pokemon from the school, thats the best idea ive heard so far.
my idea for the bosses would be the teachers for each tier of the class, once you complete enough assignments you could challenge them to move onto the next class.
i dont have any ideas for the rival yet, probably a neighbor attending the same class as you, not sure.

as far as the main gameplay (assignments) my vision was there would be 2 kinds, ones on campus, and off campus. the ones on campus would involve going through training courses such as grasslands, caves, underwater?, etc where you would find wild pokemon to catch and other students to battle. the task of the assignment could be anything from find an item at the end of the course, catch a specific pokemon, who knows. if someone knows how to script it perhaps we could make it so you have to catch a certain number of different types of pokemon. similar to the professors aids who give you the EXP share, itemfinder, etc throughout the original games

the off-campus assignments would be much more unique and involve helping people in towns around the region with various tasks, perhaps having something to do with team rocket, or any other problem we could think of.

so those are all my main ideas so far, what do you guys think?

Old March 1st, 2011 (08:21 PM).
Velkominn í heim POKéMON!

Nature: Hasty
I really like an Academy game idea. I remember one of the youngsters you battle said something about how they wanted to beat other trainers (you) so they could be the best in their class, and you've been able to fight teachers too. Maybe part of the game could be fighting other trainers, not necessarily those who are students (you could add in characters like Red that way, as just random characters you challenge to battles when you're roaming around).

With "helping people around town", you could do something similar to finding the gold teeth with the Safari Zone and delivering packages. Actually, my friend and I just came up with a minigame idea where you wander around Pallet Town as Professor Oak looking for stuff he's lost (he forgets his own grandson's name!), you could have some recurring characters who keep losing stuff like that.

Those are just some random ideas I had, sorry if it's no help.
Old March 3rd, 2011 (02:08 PM).
The Ghost

Nature: Gentle
This sounds interesting. I've got a random mission generating script that I made that would be perfect for this game. I wouldn't be able to join in on this project because of all the other things I'm doing ,but if one of your scripters ever get stuck then just PM me and I'd be happy to help.
Old March 4th, 2011 (04:47 PM).
Beginning Hacker, Gamer

I could script and map, also insert sprites
Old March 6th, 2011 (06:22 PM).
DERP :3

Nature: Bashful
I am actually interested in helping with this. I have wanted to create a Pokemon Academy hack as well, but cannot do it alone. I have a few ideas, and my help with any spriting necessary. Of course, I'm not like, one of the amazing spriters out there, but I can do an AT LEAST a decent job with generally any trainer sprites you may need. If I'm not your number one pick, I understand. That, and I have a handful of fakemon you can snatch if you'd like.

Aside from that, my ideas themselves are:

- Have the entire map be the Pokemon Academy Property?
- Have the gym leaders be subsituted with maybe hall monitors or dorm masters?
- Have a group of jerks who steal pokemon from other dorms as the antagonists?

I'm contactable at [email protected]
Old March 6th, 2011 (10:24 PM).
Hacker ~In Training~

Nature: Timid
I can help on this hack. I have a minor knowledge of mapping and an even lower knowledge of scripting, but i think i would be able to manage.

EDIT: I can see one problem though: The change of texts. I think it would be better just to make alternate maps for say, each year/season/thingy, saves you a lot of scripting and you can make different seasons :D
Old March 11th, 2011 (10:16 PM).
The Family Ghost

ok so it looks like we've got a few legit hackers interested in the project now, like i said before i dont have any hacking experience so i dont know the best method of actually getting started. but lets get everyones role situated, if you can be of aid please add your name to this list in any areas you could help:

Mapping:

Scripting:

Sprites:

Other: (Specify)

if anyone knows what our first course of action should be please speak out.
as for now i think we should get a solidified idea of
1. how the game starts
2. the map

the game could start with you arriving in a truck (or bus), like in the beginning of ruby/sapphire to the academy, and the prof. could be the Dean of the school who gives you your first pokemon. afterwhich you are sent to your first class and the game is open ended after that.

im wondering if it is possible and plausible for there to be a system where you choose one of the Red/blue starters for your first pokemon, then after you finish your first class you can choose a starter from gold/silver, then ruby/sapphire. or perhaps more plausible (and preferred on my part) is just being able to pick one of any of the 9 starters at the beginning.

-------------------------
now as for the map. i dont think the school should contain the entire map. i think itd be cool if it were on an island, perhaps with a bike path connecting to the mainland?
i still like my idea of having training areas on campus where there are diferent themed caves for you to train and catch wild pokemon in. my vision of this would be a large terrain area with like a cave or two for rock/ground (water/flying/etc too) pokemon, then an area like the ilex forest with grass/bug/flying pokemon, and a mansion with ghost/psychic/dark pokemon, stuff like that. lakes, trees, mountains, etc.

i also still think it would be better to have a world outside of the campus, with different towns and cities, there should still be a metropolitan city like celedon/goldenrod and little towns like violent/azalea.

so could anyone who plans on helping with the script please tell me how realistic my ideas are and how difficult/time consuming they would be to create, as well as what is within or outside of their skill level. additionally if anyone has any friends with hacking experience i urge you to invite them to help or at least show them this idea and see if they would like to join the team.

Old March 14th, 2011 (12:22 AM).
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by zapht:
ok so it looks like we've got a few legit hackers interested in the project now, like i said before i dont have any hacking experience so i dont know the best method of actually getting started. but lets get everyones role situated, if you can be of aid please add your name to this list in any areas you could help:

Mapping:

Scripting:

Sprites:

Other: (Specify)

if anyone knows what our first course of action should be please speak out.
as for now i think we should get a solidified idea of
1. how the game starts
2. the map

the game could start with you arriving in a truck (or bus), like in the beginning of ruby/sapphire to the academy, and the prof. could be the Dean of the school who gives you your first pokemon. afterwhich you are sent to your first class and the game is open ended after that.

im wondering if it is possible and plausible for there to be a system where you choose one of the Red/blue starters for your first pokemon, then after you finish your first class you can choose a starter from gold/silver, then ruby/sapphire. or perhaps more plausible (and preferred on my part) is just being able to pick one of any of the 9 starters at the beginning.

-------------------------
now as for the map. i dont think the school should contain the entire map. i think itd be cool if it were on an island, perhaps with a bike path connecting to the mainland?
i still like my idea of having training areas on campus where there are diferent themed caves for you to train and catch wild pokemon in. my vision of this would be a large terrain area with like a cave or two for rock/ground (water/flying/etc too) pokemon, then an area like the ilex forest with grass/bug/flying pokemon, and a mansion with ghost/psychic/dark pokemon, stuff like that. lakes, trees, mountains, etc.

i also still think it would be better to have a world outside of the campus, with different towns and cities, there should still be a metropolitan city like celedon/goldenrod and little towns like violent/azalea.

so could anyone who plans on helping with the script please tell me how realistic my ideas are and how difficult/time consuming they would be to create, as well as what is within or outside of their skill level. additionally if anyone has any friends with hacking experience i urge you to invite them to help or at least show them this idea and see if they would like to join the team.
I can't post much right now but I can tell you that all of the scripting mentioned here is quite easy, and it shouldn't take long. if you need any help with that(or mapping, too), feel free to ask me, as i'd love to help; it seems like a great idea. Good luck! :3
Old March 16th, 2011 (06:06 PM).
Sceptile is my Homeboy

What about an underground tunnel connecting to the mainland?

Old March 25th, 2011 (04:47 PM).
The Family Ghost

like that idea morris!^
there should be a small rest stop area in it, like the Pokemon Center outside Mt. Moon. and of course definetly lots of trainers. it could be somewhat similar to the volcano in D/P that leads to Heatran.

Old March 27th, 2011 (06:52 AM).
Sixth Ranger

Nature: Lax
I really like this idea, and I'd love to get on board. I haven't really gotten a chance to use other hacking programs, but I know my way around YAPE pretty well (to edit Pokemon level up movepools, stats, abilities, evolution, etc.). Not sure how much help that'd be, but I'd love to join.

Current Challenges
Pokemon Solo Challenge
:
FireRed Omega:
Kiwi the Dodrio ~ [Level 55] ~ 4/8 Badges
Old March 27th, 2011 (10:03 AM).
The Family Ghost

echo, well take all the help we can get.

we should start actually making this instead of just dancing around the idea now. which game does everyone think this should be a hack of? and then how shall we get started?

Old March 27th, 2011 (09:39 PM).
Sixth Ranger

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by zapht:
we should start actually making this instead of just dancing around the idea now. which game does everyone think this should be a hack of? and then how shall we get started?
I'm not sure it really matters which one it's hack of, aside from graphics changes, which we can change anyway if we don't like them. If I had to choose, I'd go with LeafGreen.
To start, I'd say get the whole plot planned out, and iron out all the details, then get started on mapping. I think mapping needs to be done before scripting, but I don't really know.

Current Challenges
Pokemon Solo Challenge
:
FireRed Omega:
Kiwi the Dodrio ~ [Level 55] ~ 4/8 Badges
Old March 28th, 2011 (05:05 AM).
Advanced Spriter

Send a message via Skype™ to Punnagg
Can i join too. I just love editting areas, maps, pokemon stats, starters & events + scripts.
Old March 28th, 2011 (12:11 PM). Edited April 2nd, 2011 by Kyogo.
DERP :3

Nature: Bashful
I'm not entirely sure if we're still on ideas or if they're acceptable towards the beginning as of now, but I just thought of an idea for how your first pokemon could be received. That idea being:

-A secretary guides you the to the main office and then takes you to a backroom. Many pokeballs will be around. Then the secretary would say something along the lines of: "Which pokemon would you like" and then the script would give a huge long list of all first stage pokemon from generation 1,2,and 3.

(Just a thought ^)

In terms of what hack this should be of, I say Kanto. More likely FireRed because I've heard that LeafGreen roms tend to be more prone to crashing, and that would probably be in most of our best interests not to happen.

- I can also supply a title screen if no one else wants to.
- I think I should make an XAT chat for us all. That way updates for the hack will be more frequent and things will get done faster.
- Even though I have supplied mostly ideas, I would like to specialize as a Storyline Maker for this hack, though I may be partially helpful in the trainer sprites for re-occurring characters.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)