The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 7th, 2011, 03:26 PM
KieronGames
May be more active

Advertise here
Out of ActionScript, Lua and Java?
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:59 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Depends on the kind of game. Java is terrible, though.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:13 AM
MetalMario
Donator Tier 4

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MetalMario
I was about to say C#/XNA until I opened the thread. I haven't even heard of the first 2, and Java is iffy.

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop

osu!
stream
github
latest shiny: Boldore (Oct.30/11)
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Ooka
<3
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Ooka
If you want the easiest I would suggest GameMaker. Easy to navigate interface and an easy to learn syntax.
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Tagal
Beginning Trainer

LUA is more of a scripting language, i've never heard of anything being done with LUA other than scripting addons or server-side scripts for wow servers.

Java is pretty good for 2D games... my Pokemon project is written in java. It works fine so far. If you want some of the code of some of the earlier versions, i would be happy to provide you with them. I also made a nice game called reverse frogger where you need to try to run over the frog using the cars. PM me if you want the source code for learning purposes. I think on the frogger game i commented almost every line of code because it was for my programming class.
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:14 PM
PkMnTrainer Yellow
RP Mentor
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
You don't need to know a programming language to create a game, making the question of which is easiest a bit... odd.

I'd personally say that Python was and is the only language I've ever created a game in. I found it relatively easy, but it sure as heck wasn't good for anything on a professional level. I ... recreated pong from scratch. That's about the highlight of what I did with that language.

But yeah. You want easy? Go get a program that'll make games for you without needing to know the language at all. That's about as easy as it gets.
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Tagal
Beginning Trainer

oh yeah, check out thegamecreators They allow you to make games very easily. But be careful, the more the game creation programs do for you, the less unique your game will be.
Old September 29th, 2012, 02:43 PM
FirEmerald
Pokemon reverse engineer

Tagal is right. The best programming languages have thousands upon thousands of functions, because that means that the programing can have many personalized features, such as reading files in many different formats will allow you to use many different files, or using complex algorithms allows the program to be smaller and faster, b/c if,else,while, ect. use a lot of space and CPU usage. it can easily increase the game speed by 200% just by replacing if structures with boolean statements, a "simple" two-button formula for moving a value up or down takes at least two if statements, ussualy three for making sure the value doesn't change when neither button is pressed, because that structure is ussauly used to change speed, but all those lines can be done in only one algorithm: value=value+((up=true increment)-(down=true))*increment
for non-speed changing, and for speeds, don't add the value, and you have a system that not only moves up when one button is pressed and down with the other, but also does not change when both are pressed at the same time, a good thing to have to prevent having to prioritize buttons.
Old September 29th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Hybrid Trainer
My Secrecy. My Advantage.

As good as the reply was, please don't reply to threads over a month old, or in this case a year.

~Locked.

"I am confident that if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would still be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."
-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here