The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Valora17
Something Memorable?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via AIM to Valora17

Advertise here
Hi there, I just figured I'd post this up and update a bit since I usually just lurk around here anyway. I figured I might as well get some posting in, maybe some criticism too. So yeah... here is my current project, a 50 Pokemon dex... It's almost done.

Eventually I will post tiles and what-not as well, but right now this is my main goal.
Blow the candles out,

Looks like a solo tonight,

I'm beginning to see the light.

Blow the candles out,

Everything's gonna be alright.
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:37 PM
WillPowerPedro
https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson

Nature: Jolly
Really, really good! I should work on my spriting skills to get as good as you.

I just released a few albums a couple days ago. If you go to my tumblr, there are links there!
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Ink.
Beginning Trainer

Very, very good. Much better than the normal in game sprites.
I especially like how the 5th one on the 7th row seems to have a very Icy texture. Good job.
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Valora17
Something Memorable?

Thank you very much to both of you.
And I'm not sure what you mean by "normal in game sprites" Ink. I'm sure it's not bad, but I'm just confused.

Regardless, thank you ;
Blow the candles out,

Blow the candles out,

Old March 24th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

These are quite good and decent. The look like they're in the style of the GBA Sprites. Some of the concepts are quite difficult to perceive and figure out, like the 2 white Fakemon below the first and second evolution of the fire starter, and also the evolution line after them, the darkish purple line. I can't tell what their origin is. ):
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Valora17
Something Memorable?

Oh, I see. Well, the white ones are inspired by Bed Bugs, so the first one is a cotton spore-esque bug. The second is supposed to be a pillow-esque coccoon. The final stage of that line is just a large bed bug with a cottony-bum. And then the line after that is inspired by Dustmites.

And thank you, I prefer the GBA-style sprites with the DP limitations.
Blow the candles out,

Blow the candles out,

Old March 26th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Valora17
Something Memorable?

Small update, actually it's just one sprite. Anywho, here ya go

Also, I'm looking for ideas for the final spaces in the dex above. There are 4 spaces that can be filled with anything, and then the space between the last two is supposed to be a legendary pokemon.

I need ideas for my legendary pokemon trio, if you have one feel free to submit. or if you have an idea for any (or all 8D) of the other four, I'm all ears.

Also! C+C Is always appreciated.
Blow the candles out,

Blow the candles out,

Old March 30th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Rayce
Nooo0000OOB

Nature: Impish
The spider ones kinda remind me of a pokemon from Sienna called bombsect. (I think that was the name) Not in a way that I think your ripping them off, in a good way

Old March 31st, 2011, 07:38 AM
Esper

I'm loving the pillow bugs and the one that's hiding in a cardboard box. Fun designs and nicely textured. I like how you've included some weird concepts like cupcakes and what I'm guessing is a computer virus. I think you could do better than stick arms on that cupcake evolution though.

People-pokemon are a little disturbing. :|

deviantart blog pair
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:59 AM
queedol
Beginning Trainer

The penguins and the carboard box one are wicked
why can't i be as good as you
Old March 31st, 2011, 12:23 PM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I'm loving the pillow bugs and the one that's hiding in a cardboard box. Fun designs and nicely textured. I like how you've included some weird concepts like cupcakes and what I'm guessing is a computer virus. I think you could do better than stick arms on that cupcake evolution though.

People-pokemon are a little disturbing.
Exactly what I thought. I'd think they'd be better as trainer spriters and not Pokemon. XD

Generally though, the spriters are made to a high standard. :D Some designs are not very imaginative though, for example the square one near the bottom.

Pokémon Aureolin

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:32 PM
LePoisson
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Brave
Some real nice work you have going on here.
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:07 PM
Valora17
Something Memorable?

Rayce: Thank you... I think. I'm glad you like them.

Scarf: Thank you, they were fun to create. And the stick arms were completely intended to be done that way, just for the simple fact that it wasn't supposed to be a big, characterizing feature of the fakemon. Of course, if people don't like it I can change it. And yeah... I may change them eventually >> They do look a lot more human than I intended for them to.

queedol: Thank you, the Penguin took me for EVER, as did the shading on the box. Just practice, I didn't get 'good' over-night.

Retribution: As I said, they came out more human-like that I had originally intended. I may go back and change them. Though, I thank you for the compliment on the standard-ness. And I know, it wasn't intended to be a complex design; just intended to be a sort of computer glitch-type concept that was clear and to the point.

LePoisson: Thank you very much

UPDATE:
Sorry about not being around this week, busy with school. Though I have had these done for a few days now. Pure psychic-types.

Blow the candles out,

Blow the candles out,

Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:24 AM
BattleBeard
The Ultimate Beard

Nature: Modest
Amazing sprites! Would you like to help with spriting in my GBA Pokemon Firered hack? That'd be a serious help. It'll be called Mememon, it's basically going to have new locations...pokemon...text...everything. It'll be a new game, about a young child's quest to become the best meme trainer ever! I have some of the text edited, but I really need a spriter to go on.

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.
I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature (however, I do build competitive movesets and do minimal EV training, just not ignore the Pokemon based on stats ).
Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Valora17
Something Memorable?

BattleBeard, right now I am really focused on this dex (which is almost done), but maybe when I'm done and working on my tiles I can take some time here-and-there to help you with spriting. Though, until then, I will have to say no. I'm sorry.
Blow the candles out,

Blow the candles out,

Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
BattleBeard
The Ultimate Beard

Nature: Modest
It's fine, I understand. No problem at all.

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.
I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature (however, I do build competitive movesets and do minimal EV training, just not ignore the Pokemon based on stats ).
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:37 AM
Dorandragon
The Pixel Master

hey, you want any help with your dex? :p

But yeah, your great at the colors and the shading and all of that, but I see alot of anatomy flaws in some of your sprites. Oh and that ghost mirror is by far your best sprite.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Valora17
Something Memorable?

Right now the only help I'm willing to accept with this part of the dex is concepts Eventually there will be two other parts, each of 50 more sprites, which I may accept help for in spriting though.

Anatomy isn't my strongest... I've never actually been good with it D: I just kind of make it up as I go along >>; So I definitely need to work on it; but thank you for the compliments And the Ghost Mirror was actually one of my least favorites, but thank you anyway.
Blow the candles out,

Blow the candles out,

Old April 5th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Valora17
Something Memorable?

Just a small update.

These are the last two regular fakemon for this dex, they aren't anything special but they are both rock-types. The first is based on a T-rex, the second on a fossilized egg. These are the last two regular pokemon for this dex, and the final spot will be filled with another legendary pokemon.

This is what the dex looks like now.
Blow the candles out,

Blow the candles out,

Old April 6th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Dorandragon
The Pixel Master

well done, you managed to design and sprite 49 fakemon. Thats something I cant really do. not top mention your quite good at it as well. you have my respect and my awe as well. CONGRATS :D

Old April 7th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Valora17
Something Memorable?

Thank you very much And please, make that 50 sprites because I just completed the final legendary/(mythical?) pokemon of this portion of the dex. It's a snake, and here is the completed 1/3 of the full dex!

Also, this means I will be moving into Tiling for the next couple of weeks/months, I will be posting fakemon sprites as well, but my main focus will be on the tiles. I am going to open up my 'requests,' in a way, though I believe I must open a new thread. So I will do so now and post a link in this post and in the first post for you all to take a look. Thank you for all the compliments everyone, and I hope you enjoy my tiles as much as you did my sprites.

Also, if anyone is wondering, the region these guys come from is called Otlair. It's a play off of the words "Out There" and the city in which I grew up.

New Sprite Shop Thread
Blow the candles out,

Blow the candles out,

Last edited by Valora17; April 7th, 2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old April 9th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Valora17
Something Memorable?

Guess its time to update again, this time with a small preview of what my tiles are like.

The background grass is an edited version of a tile I made a while back, but other than that everything else is new. I sprited the bushes (top left and right) today, they were originally going to be the tall grass but I didn't like them. The tree trunks at the bottom are my version of cut trees, which are basically just logs and branches thrown in the way. The bottom right are rocks, not strength rocks, just rock.

The sign in the middle is just a sign, and the tiles next to and above it are my tall grass.

What do you guys think?

Also, I know they may not be great but I'm generally bad with Nature tiles >>; I'm afraid to even outline a tree...
Blow the candles out,

Blow the candles out,

Old April 10th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Dorandragon
The Pixel Master

it feels very rpg spriteish. like it doesnt necessarily belong in a pokemon game, but like in Final Fantasy or something. they looks GBC style as well. But overall, they are amazing!

Old April 10th, 2011, 02:26 PM
bwb234
Beginning Trainer

Their great except for the cheer leader sprites those are misplaced.
Old April 17th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Valora17
Something Memorable?

DoranDragon: thanks And now that you mention it they do >___< Arrgh, this is why I should stick to fakemon. Haha, tiles aren't really my friends...

bwb234: Thank you, and I know. I'm going to recreate them eventually, but for now I'm leavin' 'em there.
Blow the candles out,

Blow the candles out,

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here