• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

thenickel09

Lurker
Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
And now for my attempt to revive a super awesome challenge. It was called the "Triple Trigen Monotype Master Challenge". Sorta is a combo challenge.

Rules:
1. You may only use three Pokemon (trio challenge)
2. They have to share a type (monotype challenge)
3. They have to all be from different generations, so you can only do it RSE and on (I did it on Platinum and had a blast)
4. The challenge has a lot of requirements- you have to do the following:
- Defeat the Elite Four (twice if they get tougher the second time)
- Catch (not kill) every single legendary available in your game. Obviously, if you're doing Emerald, you can't catch Deoxys, but you still have to catch those annoying roamers.
- Get every single frontier symbol (just silver, not gold)
- Win at least one (something, don't remember) rank contest with each of your Pokemon. I can't remember if its a single Master, or a Normal in every type or what. Its something like that.

This challenge got shut down after everyone thought it was too hard. Would there be any takers?

Well, I would certainly make an attempt at this, however...

Depending on the game (unless you have to play a game with the Battle Frontier) you will have one less task to accomplish. Plus, the catching all legendaries rule irks me...I don't really know why, but it does. I mean its not because its hard, don't get me wrong, but something puts me off.

Otherwise I would definitely make an attempt. (Would hacking Pokemon in be allowed :P?)

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I think a challenge in which you don't have to restart your game would be good so what about a challenge involving contests. (yes I know its been done before)
-Pokemon R/S/E only-

The rules:
-You must choose a moveset.
-You must choose 5 different Pokemon (from different evolution lines) that can learn that moveset.
-You must complete each contest with a different Pokemon and have their paintings offered to be done.
-All Pokemon must have the chosen moveset.
-Challenge is done when a painting has been done of each of your Pokemon.

What do you people think?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
I'm not sure about teh contest challenge idea. It doesn't really seem like the type of challenge people would play, since Contests aren't the main focus of Pokemon. I mean, if you could choose to be a Pokemon Coordinator, then that'd be an awesome challenge. :)

I was thinking of another challenge, which would have been my first white challenge, but I decided to expand it. I would call it the Sonata ♪/Tra la la ♪ challenge. Simply put, all of your Pokemon would have to learn at least 3 sound-based moves, and keep them throughout your entire challenge. But that would mean just using Pokemon which can learn Growl, but if you want to make it harder, you could only use Pokemon which have "singing" moves, like Sing, Hyper Voice, Uproar etc.

Hacki101

I use too many smileys.... :P
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 14, 2014
The Elimination Challenge

I have an idea that I think could be quite exciting!

In this challenge you can only ever have 1 Pokemon any type (If you have caught Sigilyph you cant have Emolga) and if it faints you can never use that type again! You must battle through each game to completion (E4 Champion or Red) without having all your types eliminated. Choose your Pokemon wisely!

Basically here are the rules:

1) You can only use one Pokemon of each type
2) If your Pokemon faints it is released/ boxed forever
3) If your Pokemon dies you cannot replace it with another of the same type
4) Game over if all your Pokemon die
5) No legends

Optional rules:

1) If your Pokemon dies you cannot use the same type MOVES as the Pokemon that died ever again
2) You can only have 10 types
3) NO HM slaves unless you cannot get past the object with any of your Pokemon
4) You must train 6 Pokemon equally in your team once you have assembled it (recommended)
5) If a Pokemon of dual typing faints you may choose 1 of the types to eliminate instead of both

What do you guys think? Any suggestions to make it better?

Last edited:

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020
I like the concept, but i don't think dual types should count as both their types, as with only using single types, its already limited. Remember you already only have 15-17 pokemon, where a Nuzlocke gives you 20-40 random ones.

You could make dual types count as a set one of their types, or leave it up to the challenger with type he wants to use it as.

+ No legend as a actual rule

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I like the concept, but i don't think dual types should count as both their types, as with only using single types, its already limited. Remember you already only have 15-17 pokemon, where a Nuzlocke gives you 20-40 random ones.

You could make dual types count as a set one of their types, or leave it up to the challenger with type he wants to use it as.

Yeah, I like these additions. i think what you're trying to say is: if you use an Emonga or whatever its called, and it faints, you then choose if you want him to count as your electric or flying type. You may then use another of the other type (if you count him as flying, you can use a Zebstrika).

I also don't really like the moveset rule, because around the end of the game, I usually have Pokemon that have four different types of moves, and sometimes if they're dual type I only have one move that matches one of their types. That knocks out 1/3 of the types if he faints. Other than that, I like it.

On second thought, it really doesn't matter for me, because if there is any part of the challenge about releasing Pokemon that faint, I always overlevel them so that they can't ever faint.

Hacki101

I use too many smileys.... :P
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 14, 2014

I think it would be best incorporated as an optional rule if you find it too limiting. It kind of takes away the point of the challenge in my opinion as when you lose the Pokemon you should lose the type.

As for the legend rule, I agree and will edit the post.

*EDIT* Myrhhman, you could disregard that rule as it is optional! It is there for anyone who wants an extra challenge.

Thank you for your thoughts

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I have an idea that I think could be quite exciting!

In this challenge you can only ever have 1 Pokemon any type (If you have caught Sigilyph you cant have Emolga) and if it faints you can never use that type again! You must battle through each game to completion (E4 Champion or Red) without having all your types eliminated. Choose your Pokemon wisely!

Basically here are the rules:

1) You can only use one Pokemon of each type
2) If your Pokemon faints it is released/ boxed forever
3) If your Pokemon dies you cannot replace it with another of the same type
4) Game over if all your Pokemon die
5) No legends

Optional rules:

1) If your Pokemon dies you cannot use the same type MOVES as the Pokemon that died ever again
2) You can only have 10 types
3) NO HM slaves unless you cannot get past the object with any of your Pokemon
4) You must train 6 Pokemon equally in your team once you have assembled it (recommended)
5) If a Pokemon of dual typing faints you may choose 1 of the types to eliminate instead of both

What do you guys think? Any suggestions to make it better?

I really like this idea. It would be fun to keep track and to see if you can get through the game. I would probably add a rule for myself saying that you can't grind past a certain level if you are before a certain part (like your Pokemon can't be leveled higher than the Gym Leader's Pokemon).

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I really like this idea. It would be fun to keep track and to see if you can get through the game. I would probably add a rule for myself saying that you can't grind past a certain level if you are before a certain part (like your Pokemon can't be leveled higher than the Gym Leader's Pokemon).
Oh then it would be a challenge for me too.

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
Years
Gosh, finally I can be back.
With Internet problems and school, I really had a few hours for myself, and I've played Black over and over :D
Hope I can stay for a while this time!

So, I think I'll start some B/W challenges...

And I bring you an idea for a new one!

The Hardest Challenge

In this challenge, you have make your way through all the game (also post-game stuff) with Pokèmon not very effective (as much as possible) on any Trainer or Gym Leader you meet!

So, if you're against Elesa, say, you have to use a Water-type.

It's really hard, I know, but it could be interesting and also a way to train Pokèmon you've never trained before. Requires also a lot of grinding :D
I've tried it, and it was really funny, maybe more long then I've excepted, but it was worth it.
And I think I would allow to hack, just not Legends :P

What do you say? Too hard for you? ;)

Last edited:

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
Maybe I interpreted that wrongly, but I thought you meant a not-very effective challenge, where you would have to only use Pokemon which are not very effective against the gym leaders, so fightng against Elesa, you would have to use a Flying, or Steel type, since their moves are weakened against Elesa's Pokemon.

Alpha_Spike

Ace Trainer
Years
Nope, you just misread.

Grass is actually what I'm doing now! Gotta finish this St. Patty's Challenge before Friday at midnight...

Also, yeah, I can see that happening around july. Its basically the same shmeal as the seasons sort of, from what I can tell.

Well, Jd nailed what I was trying to say. It also makes you use Pokemon you wouldn't a lot of the time, especially if you're doing an Ultimate Ultimate Monotype, which is the new name for what Jd and I are doing. I done declared it now.

One thing you guys should know about me, if you haven't figured it out yet, is that I am very very very competitive. I play a lot of games with friends and/or family (board, card, video, don't care), and I love playing them. That doesn't mean that I like showing off, I really just like the actual game playing. So, you hopefully can understand how I would prefer a challenge like what someone said last page and i'm calling the team point challenge (split into teams, you get points awarded to your team based on doing certain stuff, you lose points for doing certain stuff) over only use pokemon that evolve in a later game.

And now for my attempt to revive a super awesome challenge. It was called the "Triple Trigen Monotype Master Challenge". Sorta is a combo challenge.

Rules:
1. You may only use three Pokemon (trio challenge)
2. They have to share a type (monotype challenge)
3. They have to all be from different generations, so you can only do it RSE and on (I did it on Platinum and had a blast)
4. The challenge has a lot of requirements- you have to do the following:
- Defeat the Elite Four (twice if they get tougher the second time)
- Catch (not kill) every single legendary available in your game. Obviously, if you're doing Emerald, you can't catch Deoxys, but you still have to catch those annoying roamers.
- Get every single frontier symbol (just silver, not gold)
- Win at least one (something, don't remember) rank contest with each of your Pokemon. I can't remember if its a single Master, or a Normal in every type or what. Its something like that.

This challenge got shut down after everyone thought it was too hard. Would there be any takers?

Hey thanks for trying to revive my challenge :D Its good to know others besides me enjoyed the challenge. I'm actually working on some new ones at the moment, that can in corporate the 5th gen games as well.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Hey thanks for trying to revive my challenge :D Its good to know crazys besides me enjoyed the challenge. I'm actually working on some new ones at the moment, that can in corporate the 5th gen Blankets as well.

I did really enjoy playing my Platinum Blanket that way. And battleing the frontier was pretty fun too. Take that, applesauce filter.

Edit: Got three in one post.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I should probably play my HeartGold game. Also, how are you guys liking my Reshiram theme? I made Furnace a matching Zekrom theme and I think we look really good! Especially when post post after each other. I should go welcome new members in Furnace's forum! That sounds like a lot of fun! Let's keep this discussion going! Challenges are so fun! AGONY!!!!!

Phew. Enough of that. But really, just coming here to let y'all know that if you haven't finished the event, you have a little over an hour to post your final update, otherwise you don't get your emblem! ...Oooops, didn't escape that one, did I?

Years
Wordfilters? I am dissapoint. If we were going to have word censors, THE GREATEST PEOPLE EVER could have at least originated from Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal version. Anyhow, to keep this post relevant, I've been playing HeartGold version quite a bit, lately, so expect and update or two on my run, in the future.
EDIT: Blanket=/Version? Alas, my theory has been foiled.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Slowpoke is supposed to be Yedong and critical hit is supposed to be hit to key. Trust me, I helped with that list.

I am no longer your moderator, sorry. I mod Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum...gross. >:(

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You're stuck with Erik. He smells nice, watches Ru Paul, and he's fabulous. idk how you're gunna survive.

I'm stuck modding Cherrims. >:o Go post in there and make a big scene, I need something to do. :(

Years
Ah, Erik, he smells a bit too rosy for this forum. I say the best course of action, would be to give him a session with 560cool, he smells funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back