• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Development: The 4th gen class split in 3rd gen

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
If you can understand the hex, then porting over the split to emerald is possible using only the data from the patch I provided. However, I intend on doing this myself sometime within the coming couple months, so if you wanna save yourself the work, feel free to wait, I'll get to it eventually.

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
If you were to manually edit each moves data after using the patch to split physical/special, would you use 00 or 02 for status lowering or status afflicting moves(or any move in general that does not directly damage the opponent)?

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
It doesn't really matter. You don't use 02 though, only 00 or 01. But since the move doesn't damage (normally) then the classification doesn't come into play, therefore regardless of what you set it to it won't make a difference to the mechanics themselves.

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Hello.

I'm a friend of Windslash's (actually, I pointed this thread out to him). The earlier patch he posted with all the special moves was flawed, so he fixed it and asked me to post the patch. I personally tested out a move (Gust, which is one that was never special typed in gen 3 and older). I gave it to Squirtle, gave it max special attack and gave Bulbasaur minimum special defense. Then tested it again leaving Squirtle's SA and Bulbasaur's special defense was maxed. Bulbasaur was 1-hit KO'd first and the next time Gust did a little less than half damage.

Anyway, here's the patch, please give credit to Windslash and not me. And keep testing moves so we can be sure he doesn't need to do anymore work!
Hey Windslash, ther are a lot of moves that haven't been switched. Take Confusion, for example.
This is extremely annoying and I think I'll need to switch back to the old system until the moves are fixed.

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
uhh confusion is still special (please correct me if I'm lost to what he's talking about)
Well, with this patch, everything was set to Physical (talking about the system's patch) and Windslash's patch is supposed to automatically convert all of the should-be special moves to are-special moves.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
Well, with this patch, everything was set to Physical (talking about the system's patch) and Windslash's patch is supposed to automatically convert all of the should-be special moves to are-special moves.

Well you could alway just do it manually like I did.

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
I'm posting to notify everyone expecting an Emerald port of this that there will be none. At least, not from me.

No, it isn't that I got lazy or anything, trust me, I tried. Emerald's mechanics are a mess. Everything was reorganized and more over, a lot of vital parts that were changed in Fire Red's code are completely missing in Emerald's code. I tried my best to reverse engineer a lot of it, but I am unskilled in ASM, as all my hacking expertise, if you can call it that, mainly deals with hex editing, something that isn't qualified to make this work for Emerald.

So I'm going to offer my deepest apologies to anyone expecting to see this for Emerald. Trust me, I wanted to get it working for Emerald myself, as a friend of mine really wanted it. But I don't think it's a job that's within my boundaries. Hopefully, someone who's really, really good at ASM can take a whack at it.

BlackHayate

Newbie who's makin a big hack
Years
Yeh there are some differences between the engines, I haven't looked at the programing but I noticed som differences throughout gameplay, for example: the double kick critical glitch (Double kick thinks its power per hit is 60 when the hit is a critical) doesn't work in FR/LG But Does in Emerald; also interestingly on D,P,Plat with double hit as well.

Ivee

Ask me about Trailblazer :3
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2019
@diegoisawesome, can you specify all of the moves you found mistakes on?

Pogeygothaxed

Pokémon exDeltaSpecies Creator
Years
I'm posting to notify everyone expecting an Emerald port of this that there will be none. At least, not from me.

No, it isn't that I got lazy or anything, trust me, I tried. Emerald's mechanics are a mess. Everything was reorganized and more over, a lot of vital parts that were changed in Fire Red's code are completely missing in Emerald's code. I tried my best to reverse engineer a lot of it, but I am unskilled in ASM, as all my hacking expertise, if you can call it that, mainly deals with hex editing, something that isn't qualified to make this work for Emerald.

So I'm going to offer my deepest apologies to anyone expecting to see this for Emerald. Trust me, I wanted to get it working for Emerald myself, as a friend of mine really wanted it. But I don't think it's a job that's within my boundaries. Hopefully, someone who's really, really good at ASM can take a whack at it.

Emerald always gets the shaft. >: btw, if the "mechanics are reorganized" then how come whenever you open it in a MoveEditor it's in the same order as the other games? Same with effects, etc. I understand they have different offsets, but they still use the same bytes to define what they do and where they are. x_x?

Xenesis

Syogun Changer
Years
Just because the game has the same data tables (which likely get copied and pasted between games) doesn't mean that the game has the same code to read those data tables.

Do recall that Emerald added a bunch of features, fixed some bugs and introduced some new bugs.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
Just wanted to reply here and warn everyone of an error that I get with this patch. Applying James' patch casues an error with Minun. Whenever Minun uses a damage dealing move, such as Quick Attack & Spark, the game freezes. The music plays but the screen just hangs there. I've testes three different roms and the error happened in all three. When a different pokemon uses quick attack or spark nothing goes wrong. Even with Plusle the problem isn't present. I'm not sure who else it affects but I know for a fact it happens with Minun.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2012
Emerald always gets the shaft. >: btw, if the "mechanics are reorganized" then how come whenever you open it in a MoveEditor it's in the same order as the other games? Same with effects, etc. I understand they have different offsets, but they still use the same bytes to define what they do and where they are. x_x?

just because the games mechanics are reorganized doesn't mean that the program will convey it differently

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2012
i also tested the minum problem and it did the same thing for me this cannot be a coincidental error

Back