The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games > Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews

Notices

Let's Plays, Guides and Reviews Want to showcase yourself playing a game? Want to write a guide on how to beat the hardest levels of a game? Or maybe you want to give your review of a game you have? If so, this is the place for you!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:14 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Advertise here
I've been meaning to do a Let's Play of Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword for quite a while now, and I finally remembered to do so for a game I started last night. No matter how many times I play this game, it never gets old, because each time I start a new game it's a different world and a different story and outcome. I will be chronicling my adventures and misadventures in this Let's Play!

Update List!
Game 1
Update 1 - A King and His Idiots April 8th, 2011
Update 2 - DEM RUSKI TRUFFLEZ April 8th, 2011
Update 3 - The Case of the Lazy Screencapper April 10th, 2011
Update 4 - New Places, Funny Hats, Bald Guys April 10th, 2011
Update 5 - Finally Got a Religion This Game April 11th, 2011
Update 6 - NOT YOU AGAIN. >:( April 11th, 2011
Update 7 - Research Party! April 11th, 2011
Update 8 - THESE BORDERS ARE CLOSED! April 12th, 2011
Update 9 - Bandwidth Killer
Update 10
Update 11 - No Offense, but I Hate You.
Update 12 - Holding Our Ground! Kinda.
Update 13
Update 14
Update 15 - Shwe****n Paya
Update 16 - Chichen Itza
Update 17 - Technological Acquisitions
Update 18 - Hagia Sofia! Oh, and an overview.
Update 19
Update 20 - RUSSIA HAS A MILITARY?!
Update 21 - We Fail to Build the Mausoleum
Update 22 - Islam
Update 23 - Meh
Update 24 - A Whole Lot of Nothing
Update 25
Update 26
Update 27
Update 28
Update 29
Update 30 - Building Things
Update 31 - Philosophy
Update 32 - Soon there will be guilds!
Update 33 - Improving Finances
Update 34 - Telling Saladin to Bugger Off
Update 35 - New Cities
Update 36 - Putzing about on beginning of turn things

Game 1 (Peter of Russia) - Update 1: A King and His Idiots

Spoiler:

Okay, so after setting up the game in a custom game to have either 10 or 11 rival Civilizations and setting every Civ as a random one, making sure barbarians were turned off (they've been a big problem for me of late for no apparent reason at all), and then loading the game and finding out I was Peter of Russia, I had to minimize the game and go and download Fraps so I could take screencaps because printscreen was being a pain.

Oh, lookie here, I've got a Scout and a Settler! :D I prefer starting out with a Worker of some kind instead, though, usually.

And I decided to move my Settler closer to the shore for some reason that I'm not quite sure of anymore. Imma build a city and call it... WHOAH! When did that name get in the name box already? @_@ Moscow sounds like a good city name. I think I'll go with that one. :B

Where did all that gold come from? :B

... you know what? Who cares?! WE'RE RICH, WE'RE RICH! :D

I totally forgot why I took th-- OMFG TOTALLY DIDN'T NOTICE THOSE BACON MINES ON EITHER SIDE OF MY CITY! MUST HAVE BACON! *drools* @_@

Oh, what's all this, then? Why am I in charge of what research when I pay a scientist to do that for me?

... oh, wait, you mean I don't pay him at all and I made a law that said all decisions had to be made by me? Fine, fine, you incompetents. I choose...

Oooh! This one looks cool! I can build a place called Monument! :D

... what do you mean that Monument is not a special place?! D:<

... oh, so it's Stonehenge that's the really super awesome special place I get to build? What's that look like?

... You. Don't. Know. What the heck am I paying you people for?! >:(

... I don't pay you? This is news to me! You ingrates think that food and shelter aren't payment?! >:O

Anyways, moving on...

99 GOLD FROM A GOODIE HUT?! 8D WE'RE RICH! 8D I SHALL NAME THIS LONG THING OF FAST WATER FAST WATER OF GOODIE HUT!

Look! A giant pile of rocks! :D

:o I CAN HAZ MY BACON MINES! 8D

And that's it for Update 1.

Last edited by donavannj; May 12th, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Netto Azure
<<38th Generation Leaf Knight>>

Nature: Gentle
Nice. I actually am liking this. :3

But yeah, Most of the time I just set my workers to Auto produce LOL, I'd rather start building a bunch of cities.

Still can't wait for updates. :D

“Sun, are you really all right? Does it hurt? Do you need help? Are you sure?”

Old April 8th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

... I want Bacon because of you now. xD Anyways, this is lovely so far! Can't wait to see more and see your tactics so I can use them when I play Civ4 because I suck. :B
Old April 8th, 2011, 08:42 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Nice. I actually am liking this. :3

But yeah, Most of the time I just set my workers to Auto produce LOL, I'd rather start building a bunch of cities.

Still can't wait for updates. :D
I used to do that a lot, but I only do that when I find out they have nothing left to do and I get annoyed with telling them what to do.

Thanks, Netto! I hope you'll like my update in this post! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryPeaches View Post
... I want Bacon because of you now. xD Anyways, this is lovely so far! Can't wait to see more and see your tactics so I can use them when I play Civ4 because I suck. :B
Bacon is so yummy and delicious and stuff. @_@ *drools*

I'll try to keep it interesting! I think I missed a fair bit of my strategy this time around because I was lazy about taking screencaps. :B Thanks Tara! ^__^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways onto fun update stuffs, with a bonus image because I just noticed the first update was 9 images, not 10 like I thought:

Game 1 Update 2: DEM RUSKI TRUFFLEZ

Spoiler:

Oh, lookie! It's another of those Goodie Huts! I wonder what's inside a Wonderball?

Also, what the heck are those giant spotted things? :B

Oh, yay! I got my technology! :DD

I think I like this Polytheism thing. That Hinduism thing sounds pretty cool! B)

Oh hey I got this thing called a map from that goodie hut. Looks like it tells me where more neat things are. :B

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I DON'T GET TO SEE THAT WHAT THAT HINDUISM THINGY IS! ;___;

Also, what's that Buddhism thingy? :B

OMG IT'S ANOTHER GOODIE HUT! :D

Looks like Moscow finally got done building that Worker I told it to build. Now to build a Warrior.

Now to tell my Worker what to do.

What the heck are those blue circle things? They must be important! Off to the BACON HILLS with you, servant! >:O

WHOOOOOOOOO! 60 GOLD! WE'RE SWIMMING IN GOLD! 8D

Oh, look, I got Polytheism! I think that Priesthood thing looks like a good next target.

YOU JUST CAN'T BEAT THEM RUSSIAN TRUFFLES! YUMMEH IN MAH TUMMEH! ^_^

And that be it for Update 2!
Old April 9th, 2011, 01:04 AM
mondays suck
:)

Nooo, why would you settle Moscow one off a river:'(
Sorry, but I just love Levees that much.
On the plus side, it has lots and lots of food, especially nice for a PHI leader like Peter.

Anyway... Keep this up, I already love it!

By the way, could you post a save (the 4000BC Autosave?), so we could shadow this game?
Old April 9th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Netto Azure

Well at least you turned off the Barbarians. I hated those guys. Kept on destroying my cities and allowing the Aztecs to settle there. >.>

That aside FREE BACONZ! :D

Old April 9th, 2011, 11:16 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondays suck View Post
Nooo, why would you settle Moscow one off a river:'(
Sorry, but I just love Levees that much.
On the plus side, it has lots and lots of food, especially nice for a PHI leader like Peter.

Anyway... Keep this up, I already love it!

By the way, could you post a save (the 4000BC Autosave?), so we could shadow this game?
I'm pretty sure I can still build Levees as long as the city has any tiles with a river in them.

Yes, it does. Especially DEM BACON MINES!

Thanks for reading! ^_^

I'll see what I can do about that.

EDIT:
Quote:
Well at least you turned off the Barbarians. I hated those guys. Kept on destroying my cities and allowing the Aztecs to settle there. >.>

That aside FREE BACONZ! :D
GAH! NETTO! WHY YOU POST WHILE I UPDAAAAATE? ;_;

Just kidding. It's nice to know I have followers. ^_^

Barbarians are no fun. :B

YES FREE BACONZ! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, since it's late, I'm gonna do a short update here. Also note that I'm playing on Warlord difficulty because I suck at any higher difficulties but the lower difficulties are too easy for me. :B

Game 1 Update 3: The Case of the Lazy Screencapper

Spoiler:

For some reason this king was lazy and found nothing interesting going on in turn's 22 and 23. I then decided to consult my technology advisor for reasons I'm still not sure of myself. Oh, wait, I wanted that cool Judaism thing I heard about, and I wanted to know what the heck we needed to do to make it mine. B)

Oh, and I also met some short, bumbling half-wit named Napoleon. I didn't find him very interesting so I didn't take pictures of that weird guy. :V

Oh lookie here this guy has his own land... WAITAMINUTE! THIS MEANS I'M NOT A SPECIAL MAN FOR HAVING MY OWN LAND! :'(

FOOLISH TECHNOLOGY ADVISOR. I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU I WANTED JUDAISM FOR MYSELF! NOW GO GET IT FOR ME! >:O

OH LOOK A GOODIE HUT! :D

I'll send my military in to check it out! :D

:o It gave me more loyal subjects! :D

And that's it for Update 3.

EDIT: Also, initial save attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip donavannjgame1sinitialsave.zip‎ (189.3 KB, 1 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by donavannj; April 9th, 2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old April 9th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Netto Azure

Nice a settler. Do you put it near your Main city or put it on a far territory to create ur future boundaries? Because it's hard to defend and make it self sustaining. Workers take 4ever to make LOL.

Old April 10th, 2011, 12:51 AM
mondays suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
I'm pretty sure I can still build Levees as long as the city has any tiles with a river in them.
Unfortunately that only works if you are playing the Dutch and your city is on the coast (not sure if lakes work as well)

Not sure what to do about France. On the one hand, Paris is pretty far away from Moscow, on the other hand the little corporal is among the worst persons to have as neighbors in this game. Having a hill city being the only city on a short border and stacking units in there would be ideal I think.

Also going to try the map myself now, it's not like I've got anything better to do

EDIT:
Fun game so far. What do the AIs love to say again...?
Spoiler:

BOW BEFORE THE MIGHT OF MY HORSE ARCHER - in this case I'm meaning the plural form, of course.

Killed Gandhi, then went for Napoleon and Joao almost simultaneously. The former is down to one city I am going to take in about three turns once my main forces have healed up in Paris, from the latter I took only one city and then sued for peace (got a tech and some gold) because he started building spears and an ugly stalemate began. Going to redeclare when peace ends, my current forces in Coimbra are WAY stronger than what I had in the first Portuguese war.
I do have an unhappiness problem, I think bad micro is to blame. I'm ahead in tech despite all the warmongering and the fact that I haven't used a Scientist for a single turn yet and Genghis is at war with Joao, so... Looking good.
The Settler in StP is going to settle the tundra north of Rostov, to block off Saladin from all the land in the west that will be entirely mine once Lyons falls.
Huge size and no barbarians is a really interesting variation I must say, huge makes warring harder, but no barbarians allows you to neglect your defenses, meaning entirely focusing on something like a Horse Archer war becomes possible.

Last edited by mondays suck; April 10th, 2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old April 10th, 2011, 12:11 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Replies:

Quote:
Nice a settler. Do you put it near your Main city or put it on a far territory to create ur future boundaries? Because it's hard to defend and make it self sustaining. Workers take 4ever to make LOL.
I just focus on putting it in a good city spot. And it's not all that hard to defend. (b'-')b

Quote:

Unfortunately that only works if you are playing the Dutch and your city is on the coast (not sure if lakes work as well)

Not sure what to do about France. On the one hand, Paris is pretty far away from Moscow, on the other hand the little corporal is among the worst persons to have as neighbors in this game. Having a hill city being the only city on a short border and stacking units in there would be ideal I think.

Also going to try the map myself now, it's not like I've got anything better to do:)

EDIT:
Fun game so far. What do the AIs love to say again...?
Spoiler:

BOW BEFORE THE MIGHT OF MY HORSE ARCHER - in this case I'm meaning the plural form, of course.

Killed Gandhi, then went for Napoleon and Joao almost simultaneously. The former is down to one city I am going to take in about three turns once my main forces have healed up in Paris, from the latter I took only one city and then sued for peace (got a tech and some gold) because he started building spears and an ugly stalemate began. Going to redeclare when peace ends, my current forces in Coimbra are WAY stronger than what I had in the first Portuguese war.
I do have an unhappiness problem, I think bad micro is to blame. I'm ahead in tech despite all the warmongering and the fact that I haven't used a Scientist for a single turn yet and Genghis is at war with Joao, so... Looking good.
The Settler in StP is going to settle the tundra north of Rostov, to block off Saladin from all the land in the west that will be entirely mine once Lyons falls.
Huge size and no barbarians is a really interesting variation I must say, huge makes warring harder, but no barbarians allows you to neglect your defenses, meaning entirely focusing on something like a Horse Archer war becomes possible.

Huh. Didn't know that. I was pretty certain it worked all the time.

We'll find out in a later update what I did or didn't do about France.

Okay! It's a pretty interesting map.

Spoiler:
Holy hell you work fast. I'm waaaaaay too passive in my gameplay. You'll find out what I mean in a later update.

-------------------------------------------------------

Game 1 Update 4: New Places, Funny Hats, and Bald Guys

Spoiler:

Hahaha look at his funny pointy hat! I totally wanna ask him if I can try it on. :B

NEW FOLLOWERS! I COMMAND THEE TO BUILD A NEW SETTLEMENT! Nononono! No numbers at the end of the name! >:O

That's more like it!

This place needs more improvements! Create a force of Workers!

You! Protect this place! >:O

I also met a funny lookin' bald guy with glasses. Claims his name is Gandhi and calls his place India. :V

End Update 4.

Game 1 Update 5: Finally Got a Religion This Game

I'm bored of the clueless leader ruse, so I'm just gonna post it how it is.

Spoiler:

I HAVE A RELIGION FINALLY! That's basically a win condition in Civ IV. :V

Most definitely! HAPPY DENIZENS ARE PRODUCTIVE DENIZENS!

I think I'm gonna go for the technology that gets me those BACON MINES.

Waitaminute did I just find another goodie hut? Cool! Need all the gold I can get early on.

And now that the anarchy is over, we can resume normal production: A worker, and The Oracle. B)

Last edited by donavannj; April 11th, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old April 11th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

The Oracle in which the Chosen one will go and start their Journey of Regeneration! :D

... Yeah idk either. :( But I want more bacon now, because you keep mentioning Bacon mines, and I just had bacon yesterday. This is also making me want to play CivIV... but on a lower difficulty because I fail at the game. XD;
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Netto Azure

I liked the ruse tho :(

Still I founded Christianity so I win :D

That aside are you going to be aggressive or???

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:14 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryPeaches View Post
The Oracle in which the Chosen one will go and start their Journey of Regeneration! :D

... Yeah idk either. :( But I want more bacon now, because you keep mentioning Bacon mines, and I just had bacon yesterday. This is also making me want to play CivIV... but on a lower difficulty because I fail at the game. XD;
YEAH! TOTALLY! :D

... I wish. I could totally not worry about Napoleon being my neighbor if that were the case.

I haven't had bacon in over a month. ;;

Quote:
I liked the ruse tho :(

Still I founded Christianity so I win :D

That aside are you going to be aggressive or???
It was boring me and hard to keep up. :(

You want a religion as early as possible. :V

I'm actually pretty passive in my games. Probably way too passive.

------------------------------------------------------------

Game 1 Update 6: NOT YOU AGAIN. >:(

Spoiler:

Oh, look! I found a goodie hut!

And St. Petersburg grew culturally.

Why are the goodie huts giving me so much gold this game?

YES! FINALLY I CAN BUILD ME SOME BACON MINES! :D

Now I think I'll go for agriculture since I've got two farms inside my borders.

And a Turn 50 overview of my nation. Moscow's borders got bigger again.

That's a pretty ominous proclamation to receive considering that's one of Gandhi's warriors just above the box for the announcement.

And now I can build farms to make my cities grow even faster.

If I'm going to keep expanding, I'm going to need a monastery or two so I can produce missionaries to make sure my state religion goes to all of my cities.

>:( THIS GUY. GEE, THANKS.

But I cannot afford a war, so I offer peace for now.

Aw, crap. Not this prick, too. >:( I really don't like most of my neighbors so far this game. I have bad histories with them from past files.

Still, I need to make peace for now.

End Update 6.
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Netto Azure

Why is your Civ so far behind everyone's?

Still be wary of the aggressive people.

They bite.

That aside do you do open Borders or..?

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:58 PM
mondays suck

Build some military already - pull out the nasty guys' teeth and they won't bite you.
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:06 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Replies:

Quote:
Why is your Civ so far behind everyone's? :(

Still be wary of the aggressive people.

They bite.

That aside do you do open Borders or..?
That's just a power chart...

I already know that.

I've experienced that pain before. >_<

I tend to not (and in some cases that comes back to bite me. >_<).

Quote:
Build some military already - pull out the nasty guys' teeth and they won't bite you.
I'm too far in this game for that. >_< I'll keep that in mind for my next game, though. I keep forgetting that. :x

------------------------------------------------------------

Game 1 Update 7: Research Party!

Spoiler:

Shiny rocks are always a nice luxury to have.

And I got the Oracle! I forgot what I chose to be my freebie tech, though. I think it was Bronze Working.

Got Meditation now, so I'm gonna go for Fishing, since I'll need that to get me some of this bronze over here.

And now to research Sailing.

And that makes everything fantastic. ^_^

Ah, yes, Pottery. Health will become an issue pretty fast with how quickly these cities are growing.

Just checking my difficulty. Things seemed to be going too smoothly up to this point. I also chose to research Archery as a just-in-case type thing.

And there we go. We're set in case we don't get that bronze.

I don't think I actually chose writing at this point. I think I ended up going for Iron Working. I'm not quite sure.

End Update 7.
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:23 AM
mondays suck

You popped gold in a riverside grassland hill mine belonging to your capital in 1760 BC?
Wow, that smiley looks crappy...unfortunately I didn't find anything else...

That's just an INSANE advantage - and it might cause some jealousy among the other civs...
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:49 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Replies:

Quote:
You popped gold in a riverside grassland hill mine belonging to your capital in 1760 BC?
Wow, that smiley looks crappy...unfortunately I didn't find anything else...

That's just an INSANE advantage - and it might cause some jealousy among the other civs...
SPOILER ALERT: I FAIL TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT. :(

Game 1 Update 8: THESE BORDERS ARE CLOSED!

Spoiler:

I forgot what I just finished building here, but I need Archers for defense against my neighbors.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna need some units with EXPERIENCE! So barracks it is.

And I've just founded my third city for bronze access. Hopefully this won't come back and bite me in the butt later.

And I think I'll research Iron Working just in case I lose that bronze source and there ends up being a source closer to me.

We gonna build us a fourth city! \o/

No, Gandhi, I do not want Open Borders with you. >:( Sometimes this staunch "no open borders" stance will come back to bite me later.

YES YES YES! HIGHER TRADE ROUTE YIELD! LET'S DO THIS!

Also, one bacon mine complete.

And I apparently didn't even have to build a missionary to spread Judaism to Novgorod. Sweet.

Oh yay a Great Prophet! I could totally use the boost from the Judaism holy building in St. Petersburg.

Sorry, but, uh, no.

Wonder how much of the stuff I've done this update will come back to bite me. even though I already know that answer

End Update 8.
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:20 AM
mondays suck

Should have taken Open Borders with everyone except maybe Gandhi (Buddhist) and Napoleon (he only has you as a target, so if he feels like having a war, his target WILL be you), since it increases the chances of Judaism spreading to them. Some allies are always nice. Well, I didn't get any in my shadow game, but I could always convert to whatever religion the Khan believes in or converts to, I'm pretty sure he and weak Saladin are the only known civs that don't hate me yet.

Another thing, why do you appear to be so reluctant to explore the east? Should have seen it like this: You are the tsar of Russia, and all the people over there are just Siberians waiting for you to conquer them! Except that these eastern lands are better ones than real Siberia with all its taigas and tundras, of course.
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:09 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Should have taken Open Borders with everyone except maybe Gandhi (Buddhist) and Napoleon (he only has you as a target, so if he feels like having a war, his target WILL be you), since it increases the chances of Judaism spreading to them. Some allies are always nice. Well, I didn't get any in my shadow game, but I could always convert to whatever religion the Khan believes in or converts to, I'm pretty sure he and weak Saladin are the only known civs that don't hate me yet.

Another thing, why do you appear to be so reluctant to explore the east? Should have seen it like this: You are the tsar of Russia, and all the people over there are just Siberians waiting for you to conquer them! Except that these eastern lands are better ones than real Siberia with all its taigas and tundras, of course.
Yeah, I didn't end up doing that (I'm roughly 100-150 turns ahead or soemething like that for this game because I got "one more turn" fever while playing a couple times). It came back to bite me.

I honestly don't do much thinking other than worry about my relative size to other Civs and my technological status relative to other Civs. That and I'm kinda lazy in my playing style. :x
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Netto Azure

Well I'm still not in tune with how other civs act so yeah maybe those 2 civs might have been good people to do open borders with. Hmm...

That aside be ready 4 war. :B

Old April 13th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
The fact that all your cities aren't connected is making me want to take over your file and do that. Like I'll build roads to things before I actually build the improvements, because it's logical man - which is one of my problems with Civ V; roads aren't something you get right away.

And your play-style is quite... passive, as you said. Early in the game I usually focus on science and building cities near important resources and then building my military as I begin meeting new rivals. I also usually have cultural **** going in the background at all times - having half of another nation's cities overthrow their evil masters and join your empire is an awesome feeling.

Also you should use a lot of spies, they're cool guys.

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:47 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Replies:

Quote:
Well I'm still not in tune with how other civs act so yeah maybe those 2 civs might have been good people to do open borders with. Hmm...

That aside be ready 4 war. :B
I've had supposedly benign Civs run through my lands and pillage all my improvements before in 4, so I'm usually quite wary of Open Borders.

Never am, I'm afraid. :x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuoaman View Post
The fact that all your cities aren't connected is making me want to take over your file and do that. Like I'll build roads to things before I actually build the improvements, because it's logical man - which is one of my problems with Civ V; roads aren't something you get right away.

And your play-style is quite... passive, as you said. Early in the game I usually focus on science and building cities near important resources and then building my military as I begin meeting new rivals. I also usually have cultural **** going in the background at all times - having half of another nation's cities overthrow their evil masters and join your empire is an awesome feeling.

Also you should use a lot of spies, they're cool guys.
Well, there's the whole maintenance cost issue, and the trade bonus usually isn't enough to negate that, from my experience. I also build the improvements first in most cases so that the city can take advantage of the bonuses from the improvements that extra two turns (which is the amount of time it takes to build a road). And what would be logical in our realm doesn't quite transfer to the realm of Civ.

I usually get war declared on me for building cities near important resources, and I usually am unprepared for war if I am declared on, even though I have a tech advantage, because I have to pump my funds into technology to keep pace because the computer civs seem to have access to mysterious sources of gold that I don't. And culture is usually a background thing for me, since you have to have cities producing it at the border in order to avoid being overwhelmed by your neighbor's cultural influence. I rarely have cultural takeovers on Warlord, whereas I had them in abundance at the Chieftain difficulty.

They're expensive to maintain, though. Especially to get enough Espionage points to spend. :\

Game 1 Update 9: Bandwidth Killer

I have compiled a massive update and have now made this first page of the thread a bandwidth killer.

Spoiler:

And that Great Prophet from last update is finally in St. Petersburg. Commence construction!

Temple of Solomon complete! \o/ And there was a +3gpt increase just from building that.

Settler built! Now to keep research levels up! (I regret this decision in hindsight)

That stone field looks like a good spot to build a city.

Oh, hey, I have Iron Working. And there are two sources on either side of that window.

And Mathematics is the direction we'll go. My two core cities are getting quite large.

I forgot to redirect my Settler toward the iron source when I got Iron Working.

And we have now founded Rostov.

We'll build a Granary first.

Oh look, some more iron and some horses.

And Rostov has now naturally acquired Judaism as well.

Crap. When did Moscow become unhappy? :( I guess we'll be building a temple next.

The faster Novgorod grows, the faster it'll be self-sufficient. Lighthouse it is.

And Moscow's borders have expanded again.

Crap. I think I see Gandhi's lands there.

I think I'll try to get myself another religion. More gold is always useful to have.

Moscow is finally happy. Time to build some defensive units.

Crap. Just as I suspected.

You are not worth having Open Borders with, Genghis.

Crap. I'm lagging behind in power.

Crap. I was beaten to Confucianism. Time to go for Christianity.

Hey it's you. You've been pretty non-aggressive lately in games I've played. Hopefully you'll be that way this time, too.

And St. Petersburg has built the Temple of Artemis.

I forgot why I took this one, but St. Petersburg is now building an archer.

And it's cool to know that I'm leading in culture. B)

I can't believe I neglected to build a Barracks until now.

St. Petersburg's gonna need a Granary.

And so Yaroslavl' was founded. It needs a Granary, too.

And now I need to build a missionary for the new city.

We need more cities, so I'm gonna build another Settler.
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:29 AM
mondays suck

I played some more on my shadow game....
880 AD, Saladin is now...
Spoiler:

dead. Been expecting anything else? I killed off Napoleon, tried going after Joao again, but he had just such a lot of slowing terrain, once again I took a city and a stalemate ensued. So I went for Saladin instead. My version Russia now looks like this:

Still a lot of space to fill out, I also might consider a maces or knights war against Joao or Genghis, the two are still at war with each other and I haven't checked the tech screen, but I doubt they are doing well. Pacal I only met recently (looks like is spawn really screwed him), he is far, far behind without any hopes to catch up. Meeting the other continent(s) might make the tech situation look ugly though.
By the way, have you met this guy yet?

No matter what I do, HE JUST WON'T DIE. The age of Chariots as actual threats on the battlefield has been over for at least 2000 years, and he's still doing well. My Horse Archers should be obsolete by now as well, but they still work just fine for me, except against that damn Joao and all his unchopped forests... If I just were Kublai Khan and not Peter...

My plans for the near future look kind of boring: Economy, teching, etc. Either go for Liberalism () or attempt getting to Guilds before Joao or Genghis get to Feudalism. Hopefully they'll stay at war some more and pillage each other's cottages...

Last edited by mondays suck; April 14th, 2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Netto Azure

Ugh if my Netbook didn't hang all the time I'd probably play a shadow game too. :/

Still building lots of city is good no?

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here