The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Averdak
Secret Abscantanor

Nature: Rash
As it stands, I'm working with Eightkit Studios on Pokémon: Pacific Blue, but this was an off the cuff idea that a few of us had that we felt we'd share.

We are all aware that Pokémon is a game where you can get up to six in a team and use them to battle various trainers, gym leaders, and the E4, etc.

What if the mechanics were changed drastically?

What if, instead, (and the devil is in the details here) you played in a full 3D environment, and battles were real time, and you could physically control your Pokémon. If PP counters were (maybe) replaced by energy bars, etc.

This is something I've always had in the back of my mind since the first time I played Pokémon Stadium, and to me it still sounds like it would be loads of fun.

(Also, a lot of us were thinking maybe Gen I Pokémon only, because to do all of them would take insane amounts of work.)

Sidenote: We were also brainstorming ways to make it work, like maybe you play as one Pokémon (with opportunities to unlock/switch to others) and, with netplay, you could form online "teams" of up to six for co-op play.

We're currently swamped with Pacific Blue, but I just wanted to throw this idea out there, and if anyone would like to pick it up, I would love you. Forever.
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Cilerba
the hearts of lonely people

Nature: Quiet
Approved and changed title adding the 'Idea' tag to it.
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Spira
Coder for Pokemon Eternity

Send a message via AIM to Spira
Amazing idea, but when people can barely finish creating one 2D game, the chances of us seeing something to rival Nintendo on a 3D scale are pretty slim.

People have been wanting this from Nintendo for a while. Full 3D would be a bit sort of impossible without lots of resources (or money) at your disposal. I remember a few that were in development for years before they kind of faded out. Even Gen 1 models would take forever. That's 151 models, 151 textures, 151 animations (walk, run, attack, special attack, faint, damaged, etc) for JUST the Pokemon, not even including buildings, trainers, etc.

And at that point you're just better off developing your own game where you could make a profit. However, there are a few games being developed with realtime battles and online components. I am doing exactly that, but in 2D, and I know a few others that have done this already.

Last edited by Spira; April 10th, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:56 AM
lx_theo
Game Developer

Nature: Careful
Originality - Pretty good, though I've seen ideas that wanted to go out of the box before. Not that many, though.

Idea Quality - This is very subjective, but its very below average for me. I don't play Pokemon for it to just be some standard action game. I like the rpg battle style.

Plausibility - Very low, see post above.

Old April 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Averdak
Secret Abscantanor

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Idea Quality - This is very subjective, but its very below average for me. I don't play Pokemon for it to just be some standard action game. I like the rpg battle style.
The RPG qualities wouldn't be dropped. It would not be an Action game, but an Action/RPG.

Imagine Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, sort of.

Edit: Also, we're not planning on developing this, we were just pitching it to anyone.
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Zephyr+

Nature: Sassy
This is an idea I hear thrown around a lot. While I agree that it would be cool, part of the reason I like Pokemon is because of the strategy-RPG formula. I think it would lend itself as well to an action-RPG as any other genre (they've done puzzle, FPS, dungeon-crawler...).

...You know what would be cool, though? This is kind of veering off-topic, but I'd like to see Pokemon with action commands in-battle, a la Paper Mario. Would add in some skill on the gamer's part but not completely throw out the element of strategy.

If you're committed to the 3D action-rpg thing, then go for it. But it's not the number one thing on my list.

Sponsored Links