• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
Good luck Inferno with your challenge. Are you going to use all the Pokemon, or just their final evolutions? If you're using all the Pokemon, including NFE, catch a Mankey and call it NoodleArms. If you're not, then still catch a Mankey, but evolve it and still call it NoodleArms. ^_^

Anyway, I was thinking of a challenge similar to the Username Letter challenge, but not as personal as that. A number challenge, where you can only use Pokemon which have certain numbers as their Pokedex numbers. So say you chose the number 1 for your challenge, you'd only be allowed to choose Pokemon for their Pokedex numbers. You'd be able to use any Pokemon who is number 1, 10-19, 21, 31 etc. If you're playing games which have a lot of Pokedex entries, which you could go random, like 317, it'd be restricted so you could only use double-1, so 311, or 113.

Years
Added two new challenges to the Dream Theme.

1 requires you to have a team that completely reflects a legendary Pokemon, even though you can't use that legendary

another is a simple coffee theme

both would go in the easy category though I need to think of some tough ones

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
ZOMG my internet is back!

I'm back (hopefully for good, but I don't think my internet will hold up.). Looks like I didn't miss that much, either.

Something dawned on me
When people take on an ultimate challenge and they do kanto, didn't the LG-FR people work harder than the R/B/Y people? I just played Yellow for the Summer challenge cause I haven't played it in years and I remembered 'Oh hey this is easy because there are no natures I can just capture whatever I want and when I train it either way it will be awesome' while when playing Leaf Green I had to go through like 20 Caterpies before I found a modest one. If I decided to not be anal about it I could have wound up with an adament Butterfree and maybe the challenge would have been a lot harder since a majority of my atks are special atk

Just a thought D:
I've never really bothered with natures or stuff. Any Pokemon can be strong enough to beat the final trainer of a challenge if he's leveled enough/you have the right moves/you have enough Revives (for challenges that allow using HM slaves as revive slaves too).

Also, call me weird, but I think that FR/LG are actually a little easier, for the sole fact that you have better TMs to choose from. Also, I think that the general level up moves are better too. Sure, the enemies have access to the same moves that you have, but as I said in the previous paragraph, any of your Pokemon should be able to beat the champion/red if you train enough. And I generally think that there's enough exp. out there to train enough.

Alternative said:
This may just be an idea, but what about a project challenge. If you visit other areas apart from GPGD, some other places (such as Art Gallery) have projects like Isometric design, or pixel Pokedex. So maybe if we challengers did something like that, it could be fun! It'd have to be something big, but not too big. Something similar to Inferno's current Solo 151 challenge, but different or something. :)
"Crobat, Ivysaur and Dragonite (Oh my!)"

I think that's a great idea. Were you thinking something like the *gasp* Project Alpha Fan? Because I think PAF coming back into existence is possibly the only thing that can take me away from doing all these Monotypes. If PAF is like something that you were thinking of, you have my vote.

Yes please to that name. Too bad this thread isn't called the CN&S or else it could be Crobat, Nidoking, and Starmie. That would make me such a happy person.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
Actually, I've never really heard of Project Alpha Fan until you mentioned it just then. I did a quick google search of it, and it seems like it could be fun. But to me it seems like the ultimate speed challenge or something like that, so it doesn't really appeal to me. We have to think of something fresh, something awesome, something derpy. :)

Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Actually, I've never really heard of Project Alpha Fan until you mentioned it just then. I did a quick Google search of it, and it seems like it could be fun. But to me it seems like the ultimate speed challenge or something like that, so it doesn't really appeal to me. We have to think of something fresh, something awesome, something derpy. :)

Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Ani618MS.png
Couple things about PAF. 1) I secretly partly made the Speed Challenge as another way to get people interested in Project Alpha Fan, hoping that it would become a little more popular than it did. 2) If by "doesn't really appeal to you" you mean that you really don't think you'd like trying to set the speed record, then don't give up so easily! When I finish the Monotypes, my main focus will be working on this Project. I will need lots of help, and not all of it is just mindlessly rushing through the game. There is a whole bunch of other things that we have to do.

Well, the thing is, Art Gallery can get away with stuff like that because it has to do with art. I feel that here in the challenge forum, since everything we do has to deal with a Game Challenge, there's not too much that you can go as a group. The only things that I can think of are something where we all play the same challenge (which, looking at the success of the GG&B St. Patty's Challenge, I think that basically every event will fall under that category), or something where we all do challenges facing each other (which sounds like this awesome tournament that we've sorta planned for this summer. Don't forget about that). Can you think of something else that has to do with playing the games (we are in GPGD, after all, so no challenges that aren't played in the games, I'd think) that isn't either one of the two above group events OR a team project to complete a really hard challenge?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
Wait, how is Project Alpha Fan meant to be a group challenge if only one person does the work? I don't understand that. :/

Maybe something which I heard a while ago, but something which would use an emulator (if allowed to be discussed) would be some sort of very difficult challenge, but with everyone participating on the same game. So like, one group might be playing Kanto, and they all have to share the same save file. So one person starts a game of say, LeafGreen, and then they proceed to the first gym, then hand it over to the next person to play up to the next gym or something. I have no idea what the challenge would be though. :/

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Wait, how is Project Alpha Fan meant to be a group challenge if only one person does the work? I don't understand that. :/

Maybe something which I heard a while ago, but something which would use an emulator (if allowed to be discussed) would be some sort of very difficult challenge, but with everyone participating on the same game. So like, one group might be playing Kanto, and they all have to share the same save file. So one person starts a game of say, LeafGreen, and then they proceed to the first gym, then hand it over to the next person to play up to the next gym or something. I have no idea what the challenge would be though. :/

I think that would be an interesting challenge. (If it's allowed.) But there might be one person holding everyone up. It'd be interesting to see how everyone trains their Pokemon.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
Well, I mean, not to be rude or anything, but I think that I've done more challenges than you have, and I am definitely not running out of challenges to do. So how are you? Have you beaten all the UMC's? Because if you have, then why am I trying to be the first?
I don't like doing a challenge more then twice, I might go back and the challenge again a third time, but that's it.

Also Chaos, I don't know how you can run out of challenges...there are plenty floating around. Could redo some. Or take a break until something interesting comes your way.

Look at the bolded sentence above, that is exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm waiting until something pops up that peeks my interest. When I said, "Also, I'm running out of challenges to do, it's like soooo dull." I was talking about the challenges I like, the ones I can do for fun, and not a chore. I should have been more specific.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years

My thinking is that its going to be pretty much impossible for someone to just pick up the game and beat it in under 2 hours. I think you'll pretty much have to know exactly what you're doing. For that reason, there's a bunch of testing things that we're going to need to do (using different Pokemon, different strategies for trainers, fighting different trainers, etc) that multiple people will have to do to prevent this from being a 5 month ordeal.

Also, I think I heard this a long time ago too. I really liked the idea, but nothing ever came of it. I'd do that.

cutiecasie

The Kanto girl with attitude!
Years
Well I have an idea but i'm not sure if it's any good. It's called the Trainer Class challenge its relatively simple you play your game as a certain trainer class and only use pokemon that they use or in the evolutionary line of the pokemon that they use:

Eg: Youngster for exemple you could use a Raticate because some yougsters have Rattata's and some have Raticate's and so on...

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Well I have an idea but i'm not sure if it's any good. It's called the Trainer Class challenge its relatively simple you play your game as a certain trainer class and only use pokemon that they use or in the evolutionary line of the pokemon that they use:

Eg: Youngster for exemple you could use a Raticate because some yougsters have Rattata's and some have Raticate's and so on...
I think it's been brought up before, although nothing came of it.

By the way, regarding PAF, I just watched the video of the 1:59 run (which is segmented, btw), and it looks like it would be real hard to top it. Luck is a major factor. Not that I wouldn't think about trying it.

cutiecasie

The Kanto girl with attitude!
Years

By the way, regarding PAF, I just watched the video of the 1:59 run (which is segmented, btw), and it looks like it would be real hard to top it. Luck is a major factor. Not that I wouldn't think about trying it.

If nothing came of it I might start it.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years

I knew it was segmented. Segmented video also means it doesn't have to be one straight run, you can save and reload. I've watched some of it, and I remember from the Mt. Moon section that he found a Paras and caught it (did he catch it from full health? For some reason I think he did), and didn't find another Pokemon on that floor. I'm really thinking that he didn't do that by chance on his first run of that section. He probably did it on like his 1,000th run of that section.

Years
Myrrh, as confident as you are that we can beat him in one playthrough, I feel like the only way to do so is with the help of Pokestarter GB, therefore allowing us to start with something like a Lapras.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Myrrh, as confident as you are that we can beat him in one playthrough, I feel like the only way to do so is with the help of Pokestarter GB, therefore allowing us to start with something like a Lapras.
Unfortunately, use of cheat codes, glitches, and the such are not allowed.

And I mean, if you guys really don't think we can beat him, we could always go for a different game. I think they get harder as you go along as things like natures are introduced, but we could maybe try for GSC? Being the first to give Guinness at time still gets us in the record books, a place where I think we all agree PC deserves to be.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
I have a challenge we could add to the Dream Theme Challenge (or a seperate challenge because of the abundance of rules) :PP

The Chess Challenge
-You must have one Male Pokemon, it must evolve completely before the Elite Four, it is your King.
-You must have one Female Pokemon, it must evolve completely before the Elite Four, it must be the same egg group as the King, it is your Queen.
-You must have one Pokemon that must be it's 2nd Staged Form (Herdier, Servine, Kirlia) it is the only Pokemon that can learn TMs, it is the Bishop.
-You must have one Pokemon that has all Attacking Moves, it is your Knight.
-You must have one Defensive Pokemon (2 Defensive Moves at Minimum), if it is the same type as your king, it can evolve, it is your Rook.
-You must catch the first Pokemon you find in your challenge, it can only evolve if it solos a gym leader, it is your Pawn.

Side Rules:
-You can trade over your Rook from another game if you have your King (Castling)
-By "trashing" a Tm you can switch your Pawn for the next Pokemon you catch (En Passant)
-After a gym, your Pawn can take place of the Queen, Knight, Rook or Bishop.(Promotion/Underpromotion)
- If your King faints, you must select one Pokemon on your team to remove from your team instead (Check/Checkmate)
-You may only grind if you get a total wipeout (Stalemate)

I think I might do this challenge.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
^ That sounds pretty cool actually. But I don't even understand chess, so I just confused the hell outta myself by reading that. XD; But for chess buffs, maybe that makes more sense? 8D

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
That sounds like a really fun challenge. I'd probably do it too. One question though, do you only have your "king" when it is fully evolved? Or do you have a king from when you catch the first form of it? Because that would make castling a little tougher.

The_Noob

Banned
Years
Here's a really good challenge:

1) You can only use your starter, and one of each Pokemon findable on the first route.
1.2) The only exception to this rule are Zekrom and Reshiram in Black and White, which are required to be caught, who must be caught with the Master Ball only, and boxed right after you beat the game.

2) You can only use items that can be bought from the first Pokemart you visit, the first time you visted it. So that means no extra Pokeballs for that random shiny with perfect IV's, EV's, and an awesome nature!
2.1) This also means that TMs cannot be used, and any valuable items picked up in caves must be sold so you can buy moar potions.
2.2) Any Heart Scales or Mushrooms (for the games in Generation III onwards) can be kept and used to power up your team.
2.3) HM's can be used, but only if the story requires them in some way. Of course, you cannot catch any additional HM Slaves.
2.4) If any of your Pokemon cannot use Dive in RSE, you must restart and choose Mudkip (see Rule 3.3) so that you can finish the story.
2.5) If the first route has water, and you get the fishing rod, you may get 1 Pokemon from that route.
2.6) Once you've beaten the 8th Gym, you can buy whatever you want from Pokemarts. Except in GSC or HGSS, where this has to wait until you've beaten Blue.

3) You must give yourself, the rival (if nameable), and your Pokemon all horribly dirty nicknames.
3.2) If not able to give them custom names (Gen III and V's rivals), you can make up some in your head to refer to them with during your playthrough.
3.3) If your starter is a Mudkip, you must call it 'I liek you', making it the only exception of this rule. Of course, he also has a set name.

4) If doing this playthrough in G/S or their remakes, you must call Joey every hour.
4.2) And if Joey calls you, you must listen.

5) You must faint every wild Pokemon you find. Even shinies and cover Legendaries.
5.2) You must find and faint every Legendary
5.3) If you lose a battle to a Legendary or Trainer, you must attempt it over and over again until you get better.
5.4) If the Legendary's cave or area requires the use of an HM that is not necessary for story completion, you do not have to fight the Legendary
5.5) If a wandering Legendary (Entei or Raikou in GSC or HGSS) appears on the first route, you can catch it. If you have the balls....
5.6) If the Elite 4 can be rematched, or there are very strong trainers avaliable to fight, you must fight them at least once.

So, are you man enough to do it?

Noob out.

Last edited:

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
4) If doing this playthrough in G/S or their remakes, you must call Joey every hour.
4.2) And if Joey calls you, you must listen
Haha! I had a good laugh at this.

Your challenge sounds quite interesting, but I don't understand why you can't use the running shoes, since they don't really make them game any easier, just less tedious. If anything, people are less likely to play your challenge if the running shoes aren't allowed.

Everything else sounds really good though. I might give this a go at some point.

I do have a question, though. When you say that you can use only Pokémon on the first route, does that include Pokémon in the water, if any? And if this applies, is the use of a Rod allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back