The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Old April 12th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Hi-Techneon
Trainer

Nature: Rash
C-Gear Skins
You probably know that the C-Gear has various skins. There's a Chillarmy skin, a Munna skin, a Pikachu skin, a Purrloin skin, an Audino skin, a Blastoise skin, etc.
The current C-Gear skin is stored in the game's save file. This means that, through save file hacking, we can export and import custom skins to the save and use them. However, there's one problem. Of course, these skins aren't saved as a simple BMP, or a PNG, or a JPG. No, they're encrypted. If we could crack the encryption, we should be able to import and export our very own C-Gear skins and make the C-Gear even more personal.
Skins are 256x192 pixels and have 16 colors.

So let's all try to crack it and make the C-Gear more awesome than it already is!

VDex:
White:
Old April 12th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Are you sure it's not just compressed with one of the DS compression functions?
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Hi-Techneon
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
Are you sure it's not just compressed with one of the DS compression functions?
To be honest, no. Could you maybe show me all compression functions and allow me to try cracking it with those?

VDex:
White:
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
:offtopic
Wouldn't this go in the R&D section?
{ on topic }
Maybe GF got smart with us and started using a special type of encryption that uses a function in the games code to decrypt? ( just a thought )

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old April 13th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Hi-Techneon
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal View Post
:offtopic
Wouldn't this go in the R&D section?
{ on topic }
Maybe GF got smart with us and started using a special type of encryption that uses a function in the games code to decrypt? ( just a thought )
First of all, this is the R&D section
Well, I don't think they can encrypt a picture in the save file that easily, and most encryptions increase in size, while this encryption decreases in size.

VDex:
White:
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
Hm...
Well, first off, Sorry.
I just woke up when I posted this. I thought it was in the toolbox... :
ANYWAYS...yea, you make a pretty good point...
except, why is the skin in the save file and not just a reference to the skin?
I mean...that just seems stupid and inefficient.
IDK, maybe that's just the C-programmer in me speaking...
I think if we can figure that out we might be able to figure out a little more about this.
... maybe.

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal View Post
Hm...
Well, first off, Sorry.
I just woke up when I posted this. I thought it was in the toolbox... :
ANYWAYS...yea, you make a pretty good point...
except, why is the skin in the save file and not just a reference to the skin?
I mean...that just seems stupid and inefficient.
IDK, maybe that's just the C-programmer in me speaking...
I think if we can figure that out we might be able to figure out a little more about this.
... maybe.
I don't think it'd be built into the game, or else new skins couldn't be made.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Hi-Techneon
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I don't think it'd be built into the game, or else new skins couldn't be made.
Yeah, that's why. How could they else put a Purrloin skin in Japan for download if another participant could have won with another design?

VDex:
White:
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:41 AM
pokewalker
If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Hmm.... I think, that when you acces GBL, new information is sent to the game overwriting the old skin. The old skin is then not in it anymore, but on the GBL, where all of them are available.
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
It's not unheard of. Square Enix use a variation of LZSS compression in FFTA, and it's all decompressed with a routine in the game.

Why couldn't they use it? I don't understand your logic. They just send out a compressed image and decompress it when it's downloaded/saved/loaded/whatever.
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Techneon View Post
Yeah, that's why. How could they else put a Purrloin skin in Japan for download if another participant could have won with another design?
Exactly. And the new Victini skin could back that up. But, it also seems that skins aren't region-locked. I didn't think they would, anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokewalker View Post
Hmm.... I think, that when you acces GBL, new information is sent to the game overwriting the old skin. The old skin is then not in it anymore, but on the GBL, where all of them are available.
Exactly. It's simply overwritten when new data is downloaded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
It's not unheard of. Square Enix use a variation of LZSS compression in FFTA, and it's all decompressed with a routine in the game.

Why couldn't they use it? I don't understand your logic. They just send out a compressed image and decompress it when it's downloaded/saved/loaded/whatever.
I think that that situation applies here- we need to see that compression method. I'm going to look at my Black save and see what I can find, seeing as I have the Pikachu skin in it.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 16th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Kaphotics
♥ Quick Claw Guillotine ♥

Posting to let you all know about PokeStock's subprogram that allows you to edit the C-Gear skin of your save file.

C-Gear skins are saved into the save file, with encryption as you already know. PokeCGear exports these (probably encrypted) skins in a format ".psk". Poke Skin or whatever. C-Gear skins are 256x192 pixels and can also be exported to bmp format.

Over at Project Pokemon you can find this PokeStock and the translated version, in addition to the C-Gear Skin Exchange Thread where you can download past skins or upload new ones.

C-Gear Skin Exchange Thread
PokeStock Main Download Thread
Kaarosu's Translations of the Subprograms Thread

Hope this information helps in whatever you are trying to do
Old April 16th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphotics View Post
Posting to let you all know about PokeStock's subprogram that allows you to edit the C-Gear skin of your save file.

C-Gear skins are saved into the save file, with encryption as you already know. PokeCGear exports these (probably encrypted) skins in a format ".psk". Poke Skin or whatever. C-Gear skins are 256x192 pixels and can also be exported to bmp format.

Over at Project Pokemon you can find this PokeStock and the translated version, in addition to the C-Gear Skin Exchange Thread where you can download past skins or upload new ones.

This might just help. Can't wait to try it.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 02:32 AM
Hi-Techneon
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphotics View Post

This is useful, thanks alot. If we could find the way how it exports the PSK as a BMP, we could reverse it, exporting BMPs as PSKs and adding custom C-Gear Skins. I'll look into it

VDex:
White:
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links