The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 23rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
EDIT: I have decided to remove this post and add all Pokemon from the Unova Pokedex and address my biggest issue, the incompatibility of moves for Klink/Klang/Klinklang, when it comes.

Last edited by deoxys121; April 27th, 2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old April 24th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Dark pokemon
Beginner Hacker

I have two questions

What makes Pokemon Emerald unstable and can someone give me a list of Pokemjn emerald hacks I can look at

Old April 25th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark pokemon View Post
I have two questions

What makes Pokemon Emerald unstable and can someone give me a list of Pokemjn emerald hacks I can look at
The ROM isn't unstable, that's a false rumor. What makes Emerald seem unstable was the lack of support of tools, or the tool creators using Ruby and Sapphire offsets when Emerald's are different. The ROM isn't unstable, otherwise you can't play it without it crashing, it's just the tools.

Emerald hacks are kinda uncommon, but Flora Sky is one I'd look at.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old April 25th, 2011, 01:34 AM
jabberjabber8
../\..

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jabberjabber8 Send a message via Skype™ to jabberjabber8
Hey there,
i needed a bit of help and could not find anywhere more suited to put this so...

I need names for the first 3 city's of my hack pokemon rumble rock... any ideas?

Rumble rock is back, expect a BETA soon.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
Today I can gladly say I did not work on my hack. Instead I finally organized all my files associated with my hack. So I was wondering, how organize are you guys with your hacks?
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:23 PM
Binary
え?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoActor View Post
Today I can gladly say I did not work on my hack. Instead I finally organized all my files associated with my hack. So I was wondering, how organize are you guys with your hacks?
I try to be as organized as I can. A few years back, I would just scatter files associated with any project all over the HDD.
Rom Hacking is the main root folder. And it's pretty much like a Tap Root System where all the other roots divide from the main root, and there are secondary roots, tertiary roots, etc. Within the Rom Hacking folder, I have Projects, Tools, Resources, etc. Under Projects, folders with the name of the hack, and in them, other folders like scripts, maps, tilesets, etc. Yeah, that's pretty much how I organize myself.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:03 PM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
I am bad organised. I have all my junk heaped into the one ROM Hacking folder. The tools that come with multiple other files are all in their individual folders, with the ROM itself in the A-Map folder, as it makes it faster to run. I barely back-up anything and... yeah. Disorganised as heck.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:04 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Hey, I want to ask of your opinions, but how do you feel when someone steals a tutorial that you wrote? I found that someone posted my DS Music hacking tutorial without my permission. And get this- it's a PC user. And he put it on his forum.

Platinum Supporter Team Fail

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:32 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Hey, I want to ask of your opinions, but how do you feel when someone steals a tutorial that you wrote? I found that someone posted my DS Music hacking tutorial without my permission. And get this- it's a PC user. And he put it on his forum.
It's stealing, plain and simple. Ask him kindly to credit you or take it down. May not comply, but... It's the internet, it's hard to actually fix these things.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Cao Pi
Beginning Trainer

ok so now that I am going to attempt to make my own hacked game pretty soon I was wondering if there is a certain pokemon game that is easiest to hack and if so which one it is.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Quote:
If you wrote your tutorial to help out those eager to learn then you should be happy because 1) having it posted on another site will expose more people to it; and 2) this "thief" obviously thinks your tutorial is helpful and/or well-written. So yeah, I would feel happy if someone did that.

If this guy isn't citing you as the original author, however, then that's a problem because the tutorial is your intellectual property. But if he agrees to mention that you were the author then I (if I were you) would let him keep the tutorial up. After all, what reason do you have for keeping it PC-exclusive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao Pi View Post
ok so now that I am going to attempt to make my own hacked game pretty soon I was wondering if there is a certain pokemon game that is easiest to hack and if so which one it is.
If you search this thread (and these forums), you'll find this question has been answered countless times. Basically, each ROM has its pros and cons. The choice is up to you and you aren't putting yourself at a disadvantage by choosing one particular ROM.

Brother of Vrai
Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Modest
Quote:
I think it's rude not to get your permission, but that's about it. As colcolstyles said, he should at the least credit you as the original author. If he didn't you could probably get his hosting shut down for theft of intellectual property. Be sure to inform him of this.
Old May 5th, 2011, 03:18 PM
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

OK, I want the opinions of some of you. In my Ruby hack, Wally will be replaced by another trainer. I want to ask you guys who I should use in place of him. I'm thinking it's gonna be one of the following: Red (FRLG Male player); Leaf (FRLG Female player); Ethan (HGSS Male player); Lyra (HGSS Female player). I would appreciate your opinions on which one I should use.
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Make a character of your own.
Old May 6th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Poster
Will pixel art for pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Caterpie View Post
Make a character of your own.
Easiest thing to say.

The choice is actually yours, deoxys121, because using an existing character ties them to a sort of premade scenario. You can erase their backgrounds, of course, but that would lead to a confusion for those playing the hack. So I suggest you sit down and think which background of the suggested characters will fit your story best.
Old May 6th, 2011, 05:06 AM
DrFuji
repeat repeat repeat
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I don't think there is any reason to use player-characters who have appeared in previous games - They've all been silent protagonists with little to no characterisation. Creating a completely new character like Ninja Caterpie suggested is a superior choice (in my view) as you can insert a new personality and backstory if required.
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:21 AM
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
I don't think there is any reason to use player-characters who have appeared in previous games - They've all been silent protagonists with little to no characterisation. Creating a completely new character like Ninja Caterpie suggested is a superior choice (in my view) as you can insert a new personality and backstory if required.
Well, I'm not good at all at making battle sprites from scratch. Overworld sprites, on the other hand, I can make. So, as far as making a completely new character, if one of you wants to make the battle sprite, I would definitely give credit.

Another idea would be to take one of the aforementioned characters and suggest that they decided to start over fresh in the Hoenn region.

EDIT: I would also need the back sprite where the character throws the Poke Ball during the Pokemon catching tutorail.

Last edited by deoxys121; May 6th, 2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Random One
Beginning Trainer

I have a question: Is Photoshop a requirement to being able to hack certain parts of the graphics?

It seems the more and more I try to do on my hack, I run into the problem that if you don't have Photoshop you're screwed. I can't change the intro hero, I can't insert tiles, heck I can't even unlz to its fullest potential (or at all).

The problem seems to be with palettes, Photoshop lets you import and apply palettes etc. I have GIMP, Infranview, and Graphics Gale, and not one of them it seems, lets you apply the palettes or work with them the way photoshop can. Is there anything out there that lets you manipulate palettes like Photoshop? Because I'm getting sick of reading "oh do this and that and this and use Photoshop for this and that and this and it'll work no problem" in tutorials and if I attempt to even try I end up screwing up my maps, tiles, or my rom.

For the record, I've tried to download the free trial of Photoshop Elements 9 and... it's still loading. x.X Since it's you know, 1.75 GB just for the first part of it. Bleh.

Do I really have to spend over $100 for something just so I can hack a rom?

Last edited by Random One; May 9th, 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Crimson Stardust
Anime Addiction

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Stardust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crimson Stardust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random One View Post
I have a question: Is Photoshop a requirement to being able to hack certain parts of the graphics?

It seems the more and more I try to do on my hack, I run into the problem that if you don't have Photoshop you're screwed. I can't change the intro hero, I can't insert tiles, heck I can't even unlz to its fullest potential (or at all).

The problem seems to be with palettes, Photoshop lets you import and apply palettes etc. I have GIMP, Infranview, and Graphics Gale, and not one of them it seems, lets you apply the palettes or work with them the way photoshop can. Is there anything out there that lets you manipulate palettes like Photoshop? Because I'm getting sick of reading "oh do this and that and this and use Photoshop for this and that and this and it'll work no problem" in tutorials and if I attempt to even try I end up screwing up my maps, tiles, or my rom.

For the record, I've tried to download the free trial of Photoshop Elements 9 and... it's still loading. x.X Since it's you know, 1.75 GB just for the first part of it. Bleh.

Do I really have to spend over $100 for something just so I can hack a rom?
hmm..if you are talking about the palletes,
you could always manually key in the palletes on infranview without exporting..
That is what i do always for my tile inserting without the use of photoshop

Old May 9th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Random One
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Stardust View Post

hmm..if you are talking about the palletes,
you could always manually key in the palletes on infranview without exporting..
That is what i do always for my tile inserting without the use of photoshop
So... well I'll give that a try and see what happens. But what can be done for other things like the intro hero?

www*pokecommunity*com/showthread.php?t=165124 (15post rule)

I having trouble coming up with a workaround for this, and that's a lot more than 16colors.
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Saten Ruiko
» ^-^

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saten Ruiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random One View Post
So... well I'll give that a try and see what happens. But what can be done for other things like the intro hero?

www*pokecommunity*com/showthread.php?t=165124 (15post rule)

I having trouble coming up with a workaround for this, and that's a lot more than 16colors.
You can increase/decrease the color depth with irfanview. You can also edit the palette to your needs, just play around to get the best results.
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Random One
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saten Ruiko View Post
You can increase/decrease the color depth with irfanview. You can also edit the palette to your needs, just play around to get the best results.
I guess I'll get to know Infranview really well over the next few days, though it's still a pity it won't let you apply a palette. But hopefully a lot better alternative to shelling out a lot of money for Photoshop. Thanks for the tip.
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Hehehe... He went and deleted the tutorials, as well as everything else he had stole.

Now, am I able to go and get my tutorial copyrighted? Or should I just paste a copyright symbol? I can see that Hackmew has done some copyrighting on his things, seeing as it says, "This thread, layout included, is Copyright © 2010 by HackMew. You are not allowed to use anything without permission!". "The Thread" referring to that specific thread and it's contents, which include the tools.

Le edit:

I am starting my new hack, and I thought I would post a little musical teaser:

Yes, I just threw it together with Movie Maker.

Le edit 2: It seems my tutorial is so popular it has hit 2500+ views. WOW.

Platinum Supporter Team Fail

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Last edited by Team Fail; May 31st, 2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:57 PM
Deokishisu
Mr. Magius

How do you guys decide what Wild Pokemon to include in your hacks? Especially choosing the ones incredibly early on? On one hand, variety is important, but on the other, you don't want the player to have so much available so early. I guess my question is, when and how should you transition from the "start crap" to more variety and slightly more powerful (base stat-wise) Pokemon?
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:38 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deokishisu View Post
How do you guys decide what Wild Pokemon to include in your hacks? Especially choosing the ones incredibly early on? On one hand, variety is important, but on the other, you don't want the player to have so much available so early. I guess my question is, when and how should you transition from the "start crap" to more variety and slightly more powerful (base stat-wise) Pokemon?
Imo you should put 3 different pokemon on the starting routes with 1 special (you know some hidden one that's very hard to find and it's very good).
But those 3 shouldn't be so annoying like Rattata, Pidgey, etc... Maybe one of them, but others should be somehow of better use.
That's my option.

Sponsored Links