• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
IDA pro can do that. But you're better off using an emulator in debug mode.

Is there a way to just put in the offset of an assembled routine and view it in asm language, like you would do with a script in XSE? Or to take hex data and convert it to asm language?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Is there a way to just put in the offset of an assembled routine and view it in asm language, like you would do with a script in XSE? Or to take hex data and convert it to asm language?

You can do that in VBA with "Tools > Disassembler" or in VBA-SDL-H with the statement "dt ADDRESS" (or "da" if you're disassembling ARM routines).

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2011
ok So someone already answered my question of which was the best rom to hack but now my question is which pokemon game(rom) is the easiest and most user friendly to hack? I am a complete beginner and I don't know anything about this stuff so my question is which one would you recommend to me? Please don't say that they all have their ups and downs or something like that. If that is the honest answer then if you could please tell me which one in particular you would recommend just based off personal experience when you were a beginner that would be great.(hope that made sense)

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
ok So someone already answered my question of which was the best rom to hack but now my question is which pokemon game(rom) is the easiest and most user friendly to hack? I am a complete beginner and I don't know anything about this stuff so my question is which one would you recommend to me? Please don't say that they all have their ups and downs or something like that. If that is the honest answer then if you could please tell me which one in particular you would recommend just based off personal experience when you were a beginner that would be great.(hope that made sense)

Well, I'm hacking Pokemon Ruby right now, and it's easier for me than FireRed has been. Then again, it's just what I'm used to. But, I can recommend it from personal experience. Note that since you're just a beginner you should take some time to hack experimentally so you can learn the ropes of hacking. I was at your position over a year ago, and I'm just now doing my first major hack.

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2011
Is there a faster way to block editor buildings and houses, etc? Instead of editing one block at a time because I can never seem to find the right block when I try to edit it.

Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2014
Connections, Poké-center related?

With my ROM, I use the create new map or whatever that takes the characteristics of the old map. In one map, it's supposed to be where there are no "L R help" signs. However in the other map, the sign is there! In the first map, it says "Don't disturb MOM!" In the other, it just copies off the other one. If I do the second map then the first map, it still doesn't work!

EDIT: Also, this is affecting the second line of the TV script (both maps). It's supposed to say it's 11:00, but it changes to the don't disturb mom line.

Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2012
Is there a faster way to block editor buildings and houses, etc? Instead of editing one block at a time because I can never seem to find the right block when I try to edit it.

What was it? The grosser tool or something? With advance map I think you can hold ctrl, right click and drag to select many blocks at once. You should put on the grid so you'll know where to drop it (houses, tree's, ect.)
---------------
As for my two questions:

1) I've been using Advance text with my hack mainly because it's really fast to edit what the character's say. However sometimes when I test my hack I find some phrases are in places they are not suppose to be or a character may say something with a lot of weird symbols. I go back into advance text and find this stuff has mysteriously cropped up.

2) I put down some puddles in my forest and changed the weather where the clouds pass over the puddles. However when I test this out I'm finding the clouds are also passing under the top tree tiles.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Question: What does the palette offset for the pokemon on the titlescreen (Charizard) change to if you repoint (right word?) the image?

Whenever you repoint JUST the image, it will still use the same palette. You will have to either repoint the palette to the one you want to use or edit the existing one. In other words, if you put a new image in and repointed the game to it, the palette is still at the same offset.

Years
  • Seen May 6, 2011
Hi guys, I´ve a simple question to ask:

Is it possible to edit a ROM solely by adding content? If I wanted to take fire red, and just add events after e4, like gyms, etc... only modifying small details like trainer card, to fit the extra badges, and stuff.. could it be done?

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Hi guys, I´ve a simple question to ask:

Is it possible to edit a ROM solely by adding content? If I wanted to take fire red, and just add events after e4, like gyms, etc... only modifying small details like trainer card, to fit the extra badges, and stuff.. could it be done?
Yes, I would say it is. Even while making ROM hacks, we're adding content to the ROM, which wasn't previously in the ROM. With sufficient knowledge, you'll be able to accomplish it.

Years
Whenever you repoint JUST the image, it will still use the same palette. You will have to either repoint the palette to the one you want to use or edit the existing one. In other words, if you put a new image in and repointed the game to it, the palette is still at the same offset.

Are you sure, I repointed a sprite but even when I change the palette it still uses this blue and yellow palette.

http: //i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dominicshill/yo.png

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2013
hey there, i had a quick question i wanted to ask. i have been messing around with hacks and scripts for a while now and i can neva seem to get the hang of indexing new sprites from diamond/pearl and so on. i also cant seem to import new tiles either. so my question is, is there a hacked rom that has these things in them? credits will be given if published here or anywhere else. or is there any links to tutorial videos and tile files? I really want to start creating my own hack but i dont want to use basic tiles and want to have D/P/Plt pokemon/sprites.

Anyone got anything?

(ps. i have searched the forum for such and answer and came up with nothing. big forum and hard to find things, sorry if its already been answered)

moudinho

Moudinho Of All Trades
Years
ADDING POKEMON

Alright, a simple question.Is it possible to put in more than 386 pokemon into your hack?As far as i know its not possible to add pokemons,as ive tried,but,does anyone know if its possible,how to increase without replacing any existing pokemon?

PS:ITS A SHAME TO REMOVE ANY!!!!!LOL

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Are you sure, I repointed a sprite but even when I change the palette it still uses this blue and yellow palette.

http: //i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/dominicshill/yo.png

Are you sure you have the right palette offset? There are ways to test that: make sure the palette you have in APE has all the colors you see on the title screen image. Use the RGB/GBA converter to find out the values of the colors. If you do have the right one and it still doesn't show when you edit it, you could try repointing to a different palette. I can explain a relatively simple way to do so with a hex editor, simply repointing to the palette the Gengar sprite uses. Let me know what you find out.

Alright, a simple question.Is it possible to put in more than 386 pokemon into your hack?As far as i know its not possible to add pokemons,as ive tried,but,does anyone know if its possible,how to increase without replacing any existing pokemon?

PS:ITS A SHAME TO REMOVE ANY!!!!!LOL

Well, you could replace the ?????? Pokemon between Celebi and Treecko, but they won't have Pokedex entries. You'll also have to use YAPE to remove attacks from other Pokemon and add them to the ????? Pokemon learnsets. Also, for the desired results, you will have to repoint the sprites and palettes to your liking. Long story short: replacing normal Pokemon=easy; replacing ????? Pokemon=complicated.

hey there, i had a quick question i wanted to ask. i have been messing around with hacks and scripts for a while now and i can neva seem to get the hang of indexing new sprites from diamond/pearl and so on. i also cant seem to import new tiles either. so my question is, is there a hacked rom that has these things in them? credits will be given if published here or anywhere else. or is there any links to tutorial videos and tile files? I really want to start creating my own hack but i dont want to use basic tiles and want to have D/P/Plt pokemon/sprites.

Anyone got anything?

(ps. i have searched the forum for such and answer and came up with nothing. big forum and hard to find things, sorry if its already been answered)

What I do for indexing new sprites is the following process:

1. Save any already indexed sprite from the ROM using UnLZ.
  2. Open it in Windows XP version of Paint, I can tell you where to download that if you don't have XP.
  3. Copy and paste the new sprite into the indexed image.
  4. Use a program called TweakPNG to edit the sprite's palette outside of the ROM.
  5. When you import it with UnLZ, have the box "Export Palette" checked. (If the palette you are replacing has several bright pink colors, you will have to repoint the palette, which is easy with UnLZ. Search for 300 bytes of free space with FSF, copy and paste it to palette offset in UnLZ, check the box "automatically fix pointers.")
Any issues, let me know.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2013
cheers for the help mate. i will give it a go. what about the tiles and palletes thing? cos i wanna use diamond/pearl/plt or even heart gold soul silver tiles.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
cheers for the help mate. i will give it a go. what about the tiles and palletes thing? cos i wanna use diamond/pearl/plt or even heart gold soul silver tiles.

Well, I've never tried importing tiles. I eventually want to have some B/W tiles in my hack, but I'm waiting on that, it's not high on my hack's priority list. I'm pretty sure there are tutorials for that, if not here, on other sites. You should get to know my good friend Google LOL

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2013
haha ok cheers. jus one more thing, quick explanation on how to import new overworld sprites. i have the software just need a quick explanation

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
haha ok cheers. jus one more thing, quick explanation on how to import new overworld sprites. i have the software just need a quick explanation

First, I recommend NSE (Nameless Sprite Editor). Click File > Import > Import Image. Click Load to browse for an image. Click Save to put the image in place of the current image.

Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2014
With my ROM, I use the create new map or whatever that takes the characteristics of the old map. In one map, it's supposed to be where there are no "L R help" signs. However in the other map, the sign is there! In the first map, it says "Don't disturb MOM!" In the other, it just copies off the other one. If I do the second map then the first map, it still doesn't work!

Also, this is affecting the second line of the TV script (both maps). It's supposed to say it's 11:00, but it changes to the don't disturb mom line.

Help, anybody, please?

EDIT:
This code doesn't work
XSE[[[
'---------------
#org 0x4DE3E9
msgbox 0x49DE8R9 MSG_KEEPOPEN'"OAK: I'm sorry [player], but..."
release
end

'-------
'Strings
'-------
#org 0x9DE8R9
= OAK: I'm sorry [player], but\nthose Pokémon were taken by\ppeople who were on time.\nCome here.
]]]XSE
It says Error 13 "Type Mismatch" on line 3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back