The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

View Poll Results: Is the white 3Ds XL too noticeable when playing the game?
Yes, incredibly. You should go for a black screen. 1 6.25%
Yeah, you should probably go for something else. 6 37.50%
Nah, it's fine. 9 56.25%
WHA- The white version is the best! 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax

Video Games Quick Question Thread

Have you ever had just one question that you wanted to ask, but didn't know who to ask and didn't think it deserved its own thread? Well here is your answer.
Here in this thread, you can ask anything that doesn't need its own thread. You can ask anything from what console you want to buy, what games should be recommended and so on.

Please keep the questions to a Video Game theme, obviously. If you are unsure if it should go here or deserves it own thread, feel free to PM or VM me and I will be happy to help and point you in the right direction.

Last edited by Alinthea; December 4th, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Destiny
All the lights in the sky...

Nature: Lonely
Ok, so I'm looking for an awesome DS game to play.
Can anyone suggest any between PEGI 3+-PEGI 12/ESRB C-ESRB E10+?
A T rating would suffice too!
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Explorer Of Destiny View Post
Since you didn't give any insight of which genres you typically play, I'll go ahead and reccomend any game from the Professor Layton series. They all provide a great amount of fun for players of all ages.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Barney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Explorer Of Destiny View Post
Well apart from Pokemon, all I play on my DS are the Advance Wars games, there's two out on the DS (Dark Conflict and Dual Strike, both equally as fun). And I also loved Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. But if you're not a Tactical RPG nut like I am, then there are loads of fun and quirky titles out there that you may enjoy, like Elite Beat Agents, Soul Bubbles, Super Scribblenauts and the Mario + Luigi games that are out for it currently (Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story).

I'm sure you'll enjoy all those games, so take your pick!
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Nuke

Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Good thinking, Cap.

@Theexplorer, New super mario bros. is a classic if you haven't bought it yet.
If you're a fan of Doctor who, the ds game could be a good game for you as well. (Make sure you go nowhere near the wii version though)
Old May 14th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Destiny
All the lights in the sky...

Nature: Lonely
Ok, thanks guys for all your suggestions, will go ahead and say which I won't be playing.
Professor Layton: I myself would also recommend these titles. I won;t be playing them because...I already have!
NSMB: Same reason.
If anyone has any more, please PM or VM me them.
Old May 14th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
So, I have some store credit at a local game store, so I'm probably thinking of buying a new Xbox 360 game. If anyone has either played L.A. Noire or Brink, would you be able to give some sort of recommendation for me? I honestly don't know what to get with the money.
Old May 14th, 2011, 10:59 PM
WriteThemWrong
LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice

Nature: Lax
I played Brink earlier at a friends house, we played a few rounds of multiplayer and found it to be satisfactory. It's everything a multiplayer heavy FPS game should be, with some of their own interesting elements, like parkour style running and jumping around obstacles but other than that, it was ok. Haven't played LA Noire but really really want to. It's the first game in a while where I want to find out what happens in the story.
It's hard talking to cactus.

I think my head is dying
It's like being trapped in a room of smells
Old May 15th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Nuke

Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
So, I have some store credit at a local game store, so I'm probably thinking of buying a new Xbox 360 game. If anyone has either played L.A. Noire or Brink, would you be able to give some sort of recommendation for me? I honestly don't know what to get with the money.
I haven't played either game so don't do anything based on just my opinion.

The way I see it LA Noire is another open world game by Rockstar so it can't be too bad. The fact that its open world and I assume it will have a reasonably lengthy story mean that it should keep you going for a long time.

I love the idea of Brink. A parkour fps? sounds good. The reviews I've seen so far are a bit mixed though so I wonder if the developers didn't pull the idea off. In Oxm's review, they said the solo play was a bit which is understandable given how its based on the multiplayer.

I think it all really depends on how much you think you would play the multiplayer of Brink. I personally think, from everything I've seen/read, that LA Noire might be the better game.
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Barney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
Again, I haven't played either.... xD.
But LA Noire is getting rave reviews so far, and is really interesting me, if you're looking for a gripping story and revolutionary game play, this seems like the place to go. It really looks like it'll be experience that will leave a mark on gaming forever.

As for Brink, to me, it just seems like an inferior TF2..but that's just me, not too big on the FPS anyway.
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Konekodemon
The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
My Yu-Gi-Oh! Dark Duel Stories says,"You've exceeded the Deck Capacity" and no matter how many times I edit my deck it still says this. How do I fix this?

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile...1549&ref=61528
[/sig-reason]

Last edited by Konekodemon; May 17th, 2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Sydian
there it is

Nature: Timid
But it's not a Pokemon game. -moves to Video Gaming- Sup, Will?

Play the game to change the game
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:36 AM
thedestinedblade
Radiant Cool Boy
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernarranglin View Post
Yeah so I'm SOOO bummed, I really want to buy this game but nowhere in my area do they sell it. I live in central IL,USA. I asked 2 game stops, walmart, and best buy. They said the closest area was Kewanee and thats like a hour away.
I really liked it. The time travel mechanics really keep the game interesting as well as involved in the storyline. Battles are turn-based, but with a bit more strategy than the usual take.

If you're an RPG fan, it's definitely worth it.
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:28 AM
razzbat
dancer

Nature: Quiet
not sure if this thread is still running with the last post being a week ago.. but heck why not.

I want to get into the shin megami tensei series but I don't know which to start with. any suggestions? atm i'm thinking shin megami tensei on the snes, persona 3 on ps2, persona 2 on psp or strange journey on ds.

raspberrybat
BLACK FC: 0132 0783 1389
SOUL SILVER FC: 5414 0665 8930

Old May 25th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Razer302
Three Days Grace - Break

Nature: Quiet
Amazing series of games there, I started with Persona 2 on PSP, but not sure which one you should start with. I haven't played any game before persona 2 still but I have played all the others. I would say maybe start on persona 1 then move forward from there.
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Venusaur♣
Omoshiroku-nai
Community Supporter

What would be the best system to get if you want to play Final Fantasy? I've heard you can play it on Xbox 360 and PS3. Also, PS2 games can be played on PS3 right?
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Chairman Kaga
living in the past

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Chairman Kaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charizard★ View Post
What would be the best system to get if you want to play Final Fantasy? I've heard you can play it on Xbox 360 and PS3. Also, PS2 games can be played on PS3 right?
I saw part of your question in the DCC first so check there, but I'll answer the other things you asked here. The only Final Fantasy available on both 360 and PS3 is XIII, with XI (which is an online game instead of the traditional style of Final Fantasy game) also playable on 360.

PS2 games can only be played on the original "phat" model of PS3. The 20GB and 60GB models are fully compatible with PS2 games, whereas the 80GB uses spotty and imperfect emulation. However, these models have not been sold in stores for years and are very expensive in the secondhand market. All "Slim" PS3s (120, 250, and 320 GB models) can't play PS2 games at all, but can play PS1 games.
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Venusaur♣
Omoshiroku-nai
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Kaga View Post
I saw part of your question in the DCC first so check there, but I'll answer the other things you asked here. The only Final Fantasy available on both 360 and PS3 is XIII, with XI (which is an online game instead of the traditional style of Final Fantasy game) also playable on 360.

PS2 games can only be played on the original "phat" model of PS3. The 20GB and 60GB models are fully compatible with PS2 games, whereas the 80GB uses spotty and imperfect emulation. However, these models have not been sold in stores for years and are very expensive in the secondhand market. All "Slim" PS3s (120, 250, and 320 GB models) can't play PS2 games at all, but can play PS1 games.
Danggit, I was hoping to buy an entire collection of them :/

Thanks for the replies tho!
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Chairman Kaga
living in the past

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Chairman Kaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzbat View Post
not sure if this thread is still running with the last post being a week ago.. but heck why not.

I want to get into the shin megami tensei series but I don't know which to start with. any suggestions? atm i'm thinking shin megami tensei on the snes, persona 3 on ps2, persona 2 on psp or strange journey on ds.
Since the games under the "Shin Megami Tensei" umbrella are pretty broad in themes and such it can be hard to say. I'd definitely recommend holding off on any SMT titles made before the previous generation as, while things like the SNES games and the original Persona for PS1 were considered great games in their day, they've aged somewhat poorly and are kind of clunky and monotonous.

If you want the purest SMT experience go with Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on PS2, as this is the newest of the "official" SMT games. The Persona series are spinoffs that have become more popular than the original and are famous for the "social link" and time management elements that have come to define it. Persona 2, which originally released for PS1, is sort of a "bridge" between Persona 1 and Persona 3 in that the gameplay is improved enough to still be playable but it doesn't have the other elements that have defined the series since Persona 3 and 4. Strange Journey is straight-up dungeon crawler and is more like a modern, playable version of the oldest Shin Megami Tensei games.

Of all those you mentioned I like Persona 3 the most, but any are good choices!
Old May 26th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Barney.

Quote:
If you can afford it, get a 60gb PS3, but they're rare nowadays..otherwise..PS2 is really the only way to go for Final Fantasy as it can play PS1 games also, with that you get Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX/X/X-2/XI/XII, plus other ones like Tactics and Chronicles.
Only other options would be PSP with the 2 Anniversary editions, Tactics: War of Lions, the Dissidia games plus the PS1 versions that are available on the Playstation store, DS with III and IV (Probably the best versions of the two) plus XII Revenant Wings and Tactics A2, or you can go NES with I, II, III or SNES with IV, V and Mystic Quest.
Yeah, I know Chairman Kaga already gave a response, but mine said different stuff.
Old May 26th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Venusaur♣
Omoshiroku-nai
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney. View Post
If you can afford it, get a 60gb PS3, but they're rare nowadays..otherwise..PS2 is really the only way to go for Final Fantasy as it can play PS1 games also, with that you get Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX/X/X-2/XI/XII, plus other ones like Tactics and Chronicles.
Only other options would be PSP with the 2 Anniversary editions, Tactics: War of Lions, the Dissidia games plus the PS1 versions that are available on the Playstation store, DS with III and IV (Probably the best versions of the two) plus XII Revenant Wings and Tactics A2, or you can go NES with I, II, III or SNES with IV, V and Mystic Quest.
Yeah, I know Chairman Kaga already gave a response, but mine said different stuff.
Would buying a refurbished one from Gamestop be okay? Or do you think it's better that I buy the new version of the PS3?
Old May 26th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Barney.

Quote:

Would buying a refurbished one from Gamestop be okay? Or do you think it's better that I buy the new version of the PS3?
If it's a version that can play PS2 games, then it's perfect for you, but if not, getting a new one can still supply you with Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX on the PSN store and XIII as a retail game. Plus XIII-2 will come out eventually..And XIV, but that really isn't worth playing.

EDIT: Oh and the new ones can still play PS1 games, so you can buy the physical games if you want.
Old May 26th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Venusaur♣
Omoshiroku-nai
Community Supporter

Quote:
If it's a version that can play PS2 games, then it's perfect for you, but if not, getting a new one can still supply you with Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX on the PSN store and XIII as a retail game. Plus XIII-2 will come out eventually..And XIV, but that really isn't worth playing.

EDIT: Oh and the new ones can still play PS1 games, so you can buy the physical games if you want.
It would be the version that could play the PS2 games. And thanks for the reply, and do they still sell the PS2 FF games?
Old May 26th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Barney.

Quote:

It would be the version that could play the PS2 games. And thanks for the reply, and do they still sell the PS2 FF games?
Go for it then, then you have coverage all over.
Yeah, they're very easy to get used, and they all still sell pretty cheap new on Amazon and the like.
Old May 26th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Venusaur♣
Omoshiroku-nai
Community Supporter

Quote:
Go for it then, then you have coverage all over.
Yeah, they're very easy to get used, and they all still sell pretty cheap new on Amazon and the like.
Ah, okay thanks!

I've heard it lags tho, how bad is it? I mean one of my friends said it isn't that bad, but another says it's pretty bad so he got the new PS3. Not really bad I hope?

Sponsored Links