The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 23rd, 2011, 06:04 AM
p3ndu1um
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Serious
How frequently do you see Shiny Pokemon in HGSS? Do you catch them straight away or do you catch certian shinies? At the moment, none for me , but im not giving up.

Would like to thank Poke Mitchell for the signature.

My HeartGold team :

Last edited by bobandbill; May 24th, 2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: minor edits to keep discussion on HGSS shiny pokes
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:11 AM
ZeldaStrife
PKMN Trainer for 16 Years

Nature: Jolly
according to Serebii.net, the odds of seeing a shiny Pokemon in the wild is a 1/8000 chance. Every Pokemon has a shiny version. They're just really, really rare varieties of all the available Pokemon.

I myself have never ever seen one, and I've been playing the games for sixteen years, but my friend is a few years younger than me has a lot of shinys. I think it just depends on how frequently you play the game.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:03 AM
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

Nature: Quiet
Shinies are wierd. Generally, I have found one shiny or more per game, since i play them a lot, but i haven't caught all of them. I try, but sometimes i dont make it. Either i have no pokeballs, or they run away
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Zayin
#1 Team Rocket fan

Nature: Adamant
I've encountered one shiny in the wild out of 12 years of playing. It was a Patrat.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
JamesJL98
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
Well, I've never seen a shiny in my five or six years playing Pokemon.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
ZeldaStrife

yeah, what everyone else said. they're just really, really, really rare Pokemon with color variations. XD

Technically speaking, the red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage is a shiny Pokemon, but I personally dont count that as a rarity since it is there every time you play the game--it is built into the storyline.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:39 PM
AllentheGuitarist
I don't even, sir.

Nature: Relaxed
Next to never. I started playing back in the Pokemon Red days, and I've only seen 7 shinies ever.

Caught 3 of them. =(
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
Metal Electric
Whut?

In SoulSilver I encountered two random shinies! Shiny Magnemite and Shiny Teddiursa and later I decided to hunt on Delibird and got it shiny too.
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:57 AM
SuperSaiyanII
Cool Story Bro!!

Nature: Calm
I haven't encountered a shiny in hg/ss yet but, I have gotten a shiny Totodile as my starter. I was just scrolling through the starters and when Totodiles' picture showed up it was a shiny.
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:54 AM
インフェルノの津波
Seriously?
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
2 Random Shiny Meowth.

I am not kidding.
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I've had incredibly good luck with finding shinies. I've got at least ten of them, spanning from two in Leaf Green to three in White. As for HG/SS, I've found a shiny Meowth in SS, but none others as I spend more time with my other games.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Anna
Mad Queen
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I'll catch any shiny I see, but that only applies to two so far. I found a shiny Gloom in HG and a shiny Marill in Emerald. I do wish I could find more, but I'm not too dedicated to it.

- Aquacorde Themes -

- Aqua/Magma Fanclub -

- RT/AH Fanclub -

- RWBY Fanclub -

- Watch-Along Club -

- Pairs - Family - Lovelies -

- Theme - Av Art - Sig Gif -

The Choice Is Made
The Task Is Set
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Wyatt Fire
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Modest
I vaguely remember seeing one when I was young, but I thought it was just either me or the game that was strange. I had no idea about shinies, lol. Other than that, I never run across them in my games (except Gyarados in HeartGold).

I don't see what the obsession is with shinies. Is it just because they're so rare that everyone loves them? I don't really see any significance. I couldn't care less!
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:16 PM
ZeldaStrife

Lordy, I must be the most unlucky person on the planet because i have never seen one EVER in all my years of playing Pokemon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt Fire View Post

I don't see what the obsession is with shinies. Is it just because they're so rare that everyone loves them? I don't really see any significance. I couldn't care less!
I do agree with you there, Wyatt Fire.
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:35 PM
ltsang
Advanced Trainer

I saw and catch a shiny goldeen on my ev training. Oh I also throw a masterball at it. The nature was gentle. I couldn't do nothing with that. :'(

5th gen white: 3954 7616 0505 (WOOT!) Please teach me how to clone in white. Its a lot complicated than hg.

Old May 24th, 2011, 02:16 PM
danko Kordic
Beginning Trainer

i have 10 shinies. 9 of them chaineed in Pokemond Diamond, one Farfetch'd found randomly.
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Hikamaru
it's too cold for you here
Community Supporter

I have 2 shinies.

Gyarados and Graveler - both male.

Paired with AWsquared, Isaac and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

Old May 25th, 2011, 03:13 AM
-Can Man
^ Since '99

I caught a shiny Tentacool the other day in HG and that is my first ever shiny in any game, I had a little nerd moment when it popped up lol
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:53 AM
King Raichu
Carrots

The Red Gyarados from lake of rage and a green swinub are my shinies.

Old May 25th, 2011, 07:44 PM
ZeldaStrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Raichu View Post
The Red Gyarados from lake of rage and a green swinub are my shinies.
Personally, I dont consider that red Gyarados a true, rare shiny because it is there every time the game is played--it is a key element to the story and it will always be there.

However, I suppose that if I were to count it, then I've seen one shiny Pokemon--the red Gyarados. XD
Old May 26th, 2011, 04:32 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I didn't run into too many shinies in HG/SS, but I did catch a shiny Mewtwo in HG before I lost it. In SS, I caught a shiny Tentacool and Golbat, which was surprising, since I never saw more than 1 shiny in the same game that time since Platinum.

Old May 26th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Westie7
Trainer

Early on, I found a shiny Bellsprout in HG. Luckily, it was only two levels behind the regular Bellsprout I already had, so I replaced it with my brand new shiny one. Tendrils the Victreebel is now an awesome powerhouse.
D: 1 P: N/A Pt: N/A
HG: 3 SS: N/A

Soft Resetting: 1
Random Encounter: 3
Old May 26th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Astronomy
Beginning Trainer

I have played pokemon for years, and, never got one shiny. I hear there's stuff you can do to get them, like go to herds and stuff, but, I never cared to.
Old May 26th, 2011, 05:31 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Quote:
I have played pokemon for years, and, never got one shiny. I hear there's stuff you can do to get them, like go to herds and stuff, but, I never cared to.
There's no 'herds' for shiny Pokemon - you can use the Pokerader to chain for shiny Pokemon in DPPt but beyond that and the Masuda breeding method (and RNG I suppose...) there's no other way besides being lucky.

I have found two shiny Pokemon in HGSS thus far! Both on my monotype runs - one is a Donphan in Victory road, and another was a Miltank.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Nekokitkat
Beginning Trainer

I got a shiny roselia while trying to train for the elite four in platnium. i was shocked XD. um my second shiny i just finished plying soul silver and i wanted to restart with a chikorita. I have started with a cyndaquil. I wanted the chikorita to be female. so after 2 restarts if it being male i restarted again. i was browsing to click on chikorita when i thoguth I saw one of the pokemon seemed odd. I went back and it was a shiny cyndaquil O_O I was shocked lol still want a female Chikorita but im happy with my shiny. it was unexpected. I didnt know you could get a shiny starter XD. I've been playing since the old red and blue and those are my only shiny encounters.

my little brother has caught 2 shinys too one Ratatta outside of Goldenrod and a Phanpy by Backtorn. He's fairly new to pokemon and he's so lucky!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links