The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Old May 29th, 2011, 11:56 PM
jabberjabber8
../\..

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jabberjabber8 Send a message via Skype™ to jabberjabber8
I don't own a copy of black or white or even a DS for the matter but a friend told me there were double battles with 2 wild Pokemon every so often.
Now i was wondering if it were possible to implement that in a fire red hack. Reading less specific threads on this topic I think it is possible to create double battles but not triples...

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Rumble rock is back, expect a BETA soon.
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Crimson5M
what
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberjabber8 View Post
I don't own a copy of black or white or even a DS for the matter but a friend told me there were double battles with 2 wild Pokemon every so often.
Now i was wondering if it were possible to implement that in a fire red, Ruby or Emerald hack. Reading less specific threads on this topic I think it is possible to create double battles but not triples...

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Fixed it for you.
But yeah, it should probably be possible. Difficult, but possible. I'll leave it for the experts (Knizz, Colcolstyles, Darthatron, Jambo etc.) because I'm a n00b at this stuff.

Because it should've won HotY.
Pear
Frodo Baggins
Twitter
Youtube
CBC
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
IIRC, there is incomplete coding in Ruby/Sapphire for a wild Double Battle, but the game crashes because the code isn't finished/optimized.

Platinum Supporter Team Fail

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old May 30th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
Fixed it for you.
But yeah, it should probably be possible. Difficult, but possible. I'll leave it for the experts (Knizz, Colcolstyles, Darthatron, Jambo etc.) because I'm a n00b at this stuff.
ROFLMAO, I'm no expert!!

Nonetheless, this is something I hope to have a look at in the near-ish future, probably some time after i've finished the 649 Patch.

I know that there's code in FR for it too, but it currently duplicates the first generated Pokémon. I'll see if I can find out why that is, and complete the code for it. Here's hoping, eh?
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:04 AM
jabberjabber8
../\..

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jabberjabber8 Send a message via Skype™ to jabberjabber8
Thanks for the help i was reading a black white remake thread. Dont know where i got it from but they were using a fire red base and claimed to be able to do it (if I read it write) ill edit the thread in if i can find it again...

Rumble rock is back, expect a BETA soon.

Last edited by jabberjabber8; May 31st, 2011 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Just found the black white thread and it was not there
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:38 AM
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

Nature: Timid

For Firered:
Ok, i'm totally onboard with this idea. I too was also researching, and (thanks to JPAN and Interdepth) came up with a solution. The solution is quite simple, but the battle system is quite buggy. In fact, it involves setting a byte to the battle flag (thats the name I gave to it, in fact, its just an offset in ram, 02022B4B).

How? As soon as the wild battle music starts, BEFORE THE BLACK SCREEN, , set 02022B4C to 01. Continue to the battle. Voilà! Its a double wild battle.

There are some bugs,tough. The 2nd pokemon in the wild battle is a integral copy of the first one (all the data is the same), and so, if you defeat one of them, the battle ends, as the game just assumes that both of them were defeated because the HP data was the same for both (in theory, if you hit one, the other will suffer too). HOWEVER, if you load the 2nd pokemon in the 2nd battle slot, the battle is totally fine, without any bug except you can only capture on of them.

~Sonic1

My Site (UNDER CONSTRUCTION):

(mage by Xryo)

PORTUGUESE USER
Sou o Dark rayquaza da antiga myutsu.net

My Laptop SPECS:

Credits to Eagledelt for the wonderfull sign :D

Old May 31st, 2011, 09:54 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic1 View Post

For Firered:
Ok, i'm totally onboard with this idea. I too was also researching, and (thanks to JPAN and Interdepth) came up with a solution. The solution is quite simple, but the battle system is quite buggy. In fact, it involves setting a byte to the battle flag (thats the name I gave to it, in fact, its just an offset in ram, 02022B4B).

How? As soon as the wild battle music starts, BEFORE THE BLACK SCREEN, , set 02022B4C to 01. Continue to the battle. Voilà! Its a double wild battle.

There are some bugs,tough. The 2nd pokemon in the wild battle is a integral copy of the first one (all the data is the same), and so, if you defeat one of them, the battle ends, as the game just assumes that both of them were defeated because the HP data was the same for both (in theory, if you hit one, the other will suffer too). HOWEVER, if you load the 2nd pokemon in the 2nd battle slot, the battle is totally fine, without any bug except you can only capture on of them.

~Sonic1
This, I have to try. Is it just Firered, or can you find it for other games?

I'll make a video for proof of concept.

Le edit:

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Last edited by Team Fail; May 31st, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:51 AM
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

It's indeed present on other versions. Ruby/Sapph and Emer.

The process is the same: setting 1 to that offset.

For ruby (US) the offset is: 020239F8.
For emerald, i'm still researching the offset. I'll post when i find it.

(mage by Xryo)

PORTUGUESE USER

My Laptop SPECS:

Old May 31st, 2011, 11:02 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
It's indeed present on other versions. Ruby/Sapph and Emer.

The process is the same: setting 1 to that offset.

For ruby (US) the offset is: 020239F8.
For emerald, i'm still researching the offset. I'll post when i find it.
Ok. Do you think you could write a Gameshark SP code for FireRed so I can test it on my official cartridge, or do you know how?

Edit: Modifying that value can yield different results. 02 gives a Wireless adaptor error. I'll list all that I can get. (From 00 to FF)

Charizard

Last edited by Team Fail; May 31st, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:35 AM
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

Ok for emerald the offset is 02022FEC.

The trick for double battle is just adding 01 to the value that it's currently there. This means, for example trainerbattle, the value is 08. If you put 09, it will turn into a double trainer battle.Simple, isnt it?

Its a matter of writting a routine that hooks that process. I already have that done. If you want it, i can post the offsets and the routine, so you can investigate more.

~Sonic1

(mage by Xryo)

PORTUGUESE USER

My Laptop SPECS:

Old May 31st, 2011, 11:45 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Ok for emerald the offset is 02022FEC.

The trick for double battle is just adding 01 to the value that it's currently there. This means, for example trainerbattle, the value is 08. If you put 09, it will turn into a double trainer battle.Simple, isnt it?

Its a matter of writting a routine that hooks that process. I already have that done. If you want it, i can post the offsets and the routine, so you can investigate more.

~Sonic1
That is something. I'm guessing that the RAM address you gave us does the same for Trainer battles, too?

So far, I have uncovered up to 1E. Nothing has crashed yet.

Charizard

Old May 31st, 2011, 11:56 AM
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

Are you researching firered? Because that where i have more data uncovered to begin with, so i would like for you to talk in firered's rom.

Anyways, back in my first post in this thread, i named the offset 02022B4C "Battle Flag". Thats because that offset is crucial to every battle: Its there that's set the type of battle before going to the battle loading according to the type.

And i'm sorry, i dont have the knowledge to write gameshark codes

~Sonic1

(mage by Xryo)

PORTUGUESE USER

My Laptop SPECS:

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:06 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Are you researching firered? Because that where i have more data uncovered to begin with, so i would like for you to talk in firered's rom.

Anyways, back in my first post in this thread, i named the offset 02022B4C "Battle Flag". Thats because that offset is crucial to every battle: Its there that's set the type of battle before going to the battle loading according to the type.

And i'm sorry, i dont have the knowledge to write gameshark codes

~Sonic1
That's fine. And yes, I am doing Fire Red. Oddly, though, I haven't encountered the Safari Zone-type battle yet.

Edit: I think, with this, we could introduce the concept of multi-player Wild Pokemon Battles. I'll need VBA-Link to test this theory though. It would be a unique, but useless feature.

Charizard

Last edited by Team Fail; May 31st, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:13 PM
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

That value is 80, and if you put 81, it will make a double Safari battle.

But this one is filled with bugs, like the previous ones from normal wild battles, plus the fact that safari pokemon cant attack and you release your pokemon instead of fighting with rock and bait.

~Sonic1

(mage by Xryo)

PORTUGUESE USER

My Laptop SPECS:

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
That value is 80, and if you put 81, it will make a double Safari battle.

But this one is filled with bugs, like the previous ones from normal wild battles, plus the fact that safari pokemon cant attack and you release your pokemon instead of fighting with rock and bait.

~Sonic1
Oh, cool. Look at my edit, er... rather:
"Edit: I think, with this, we could introduce the concept of multi-player Wild Pokemon Battles. I'll need VBA-Link to test this theory though. It would be a unique, but useless feature."

Here are my findings as of now:
Spoiler:
00- Standard battle
01- Wild double battle
02- Wireless Error
03- Long connection wait, fails
04- Standard Battle
05- Wild Double Battle
06- Long connection wait, fails
07- ""
08- Engages battle with PKMN Trainer (Has Team Aqua Archie sprite), sends out ???,
awards $3540
09- Same as 08, but does a double battle. Ends just the same as wild double
battle- killing one Pokemon ends the fight. Awards $7080
0A- Long connection wait, fails
0B- ""
0C- Same as 08.
0D- Same as 09
0E- Long connection wait, fails
0F- Long connection wait, fails
10- Oak's Tutorial battle. Acts like a Trainer Battle, preventing escape
11- Oak's Tutorial Battle, Double Wild Battle
12- Long connection wait, fails
13- Long connection wait, fails
14- Same as 10
15- Same as 11
16- Long connection wait, fails
17- Long connection wait, fails
18- Combo of 09 and 11. Battle ends when one Pokemon is killed
19- ""
1A- Long connection wait, fails
1B- Long connection wait, fails
1C- Combo of 08 and 10. Most resembles battle Vs. Gary.
1D- Same as 18
1E- Long connection wait, fails
1F- Long connection wait, fails
20- Same as 00. Standard Wild Battle
21- Same as 01
22- Long connection wait, fails
23- Long connection wait, fails
24- Same as 20, 00
25- Same as 01, 21
26- Long connection wait, fails
27- Long connection wait, fails
28- Same as 08
29- Same as 09
2A- Long connection wait, fails
2B- Long connection wait, fails
2C- Same as 08
2D- Same as 09
2E- Long connection wait, fails
2F- Long connection wait, fails
30- Same as 10
31-

Charizard

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:24 PM
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

Well now thats thinking afar! I like it xD.

Anyway, i thinks its more possible than you think.But not that possible without big changes. I dont know if you know binary, but i think the values for the B.Flag work by bits. Thats the only reason for the double battle work for everybattle. You set the first bit to 1 (like ASM, to declare a routine THUMB instead of ARM) and the other bits are setup to whatever the battle type was. But now there's a problem. How are we going to generate wild pokemon in both sides (the two players). And even if we sucessefuly did that, i think we would control 1 of our pokemon and the wild pokemon or something like that.
Funny xD

~Sonic1

(mage by Xryo)

PORTUGUESE USER

My Laptop SPECS:

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:28 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Well now thats thinking afar! I like it xD.

Anyway, i thinks its more possible than you think.But not that possible without big changes. I dont know if you know binary, but i think the values for the B.Flag work by bits. Thats the only reason for the double battle work for everybattle. You set the first bit to 1 (like ASM, to declare a routine THUMB instead of ARM) and the other bits are setup to whatever the battle type was. But now there's a problem. How are we going to generate wild pokemon in both sides (the two players). And even if we sucessefuly did that, i think we would control 1 of our pokemon and the wild pokemon or something like that.
Funny xD

~Sonic1
I had thought of it because of the fact that there are some battle types that require a link. Just possibly, some of them might work correctly. I need to find that VBA-Link NOW.

Charizard

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:34 PM
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

You want vba-link? Here: http://www.vbalink.info/download/vbalink180b0.zip

You'll be also needing Hamachi to create a network. If you want, we could do it both, just send me your mail.

(mage by Xryo)

PORTUGUESE USER

My Laptop SPECS:

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:42 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
You want vba-link? Here: http://www.vbalink.info/download/vbalink180b0.zip

You'll be also needing Hamachi to create a network. If you want, we could do it both, just send me your mail.
I'm trying it between two VBA-links running on my PC, but I cannot get it to synch. If I could force it with a code that could be made, and I got another SP and another wireless adapter, I could test it properly. In which timing isn't an issue.

Well, If you change the proceeding bytes, you can make it an Old Man battle! Offset 0x02022B4D. Change to 02.

Edit: DO NOT USE 03. It makes the old man battle, but items cannot be used. It displays that message, then resets the routine and the game keeps attempting to use the items slot, and loops. You would have to reset. FF does the same, but is hilarious.

Charizard

Last edited by Team Fail; May 31st, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:46 PM
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

Hey, you dont have to go trough that hassle to test it. If you have a decent connection, you can "fool" the emulator and connect to yourself. Select "NETWORK" and with one emulator you start the server and with the other connect to the server by typing localhost in the textbox!

~Sonic1

(mage by Xryo)

PORTUGUESE USER

My Laptop SPECS:

Last edited by sonic1; May 31st, 2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Its not server but Network. -.-" srry
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:54 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Hey, you dont have to go trough that hassle to test it. If you have a decent connection, you can "fool" the emulator and connect to yourself. Select "NETWORK" and with one emulator you start the server and with the other connect to the server by typing localhost in the textbox!

~Sonic1
Yup. Never did work. It requires timing, more or less. I am trying other various bytes to see what I can get.

EDIT: Changing 020224BE to 01 results in a Pokedude battle from the teachy TV.

Charizard

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:55 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

I had a very quick look at this and was able to make the game generate 2 separate wild pokémon, as opposed to 1 duplicated one, and, despite some odd bugs (like the battle music stopping after the first KO), i'm pretty pleased with this for an hour's work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSfJ3OYvq30

As you can see, the first wild battle doesn't work (I don't know why this happens), but every subsequent battle generates a different Genesect and Pikachu combination.

The battle continues until either you catch one of the two (i'll hack that so that it's like DPPt eventually, only allowing a Poké Ball throw when there's only 1 Pokémon left), or until BOTH are KO'd. The music is a slight problem, but should be easily fixable.

Currently, because I haven't found the routine which picks the Pokémon from the Pokémon in a map, the Pikachu is hard coded. In other words, the second Pokémon will always be a Pikachu, but it will always be a randomly generated Pikachu, almost certainly different from the last one.

All in all, for an hour's hacking, i'm quite chuffed at the result.
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:57 PM
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

Yeah i knew that. That why naming the offset as battle flag isn't correct. Its more like a var, but as i said, it works on bits,because the first part matters to put the type, and the next part takes care of old man, items cant be used and ghost battles. Like, 80,90,A0 and B0(i think) they put the battle to ghost battle. And that part works by bits too, because try BF. It will tell you that items cant be used or something (not testing out, its just by memory, which can be not correct, as i discovered this 8/9 months ago)

~Sonic1

EDIT: Seems you Jambo posted in the middle of my writting time, so the responses were "intersected" xD. this post is for Team Fail

(mage by Xryo)

PORTUGUESE USER

My Laptop SPECS:

Last edited by sonic1; May 31st, 2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: OOPS response for Team Fail.
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:58 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
I had a very quick look at this and was able to make the game generate 2 separate wild pokémon, as opposed to 1 duplicated one, and, despite some odd bugs (like the battle music stopping after the first KO), i'm pretty pleased with this for an hour's work.

I'm currently uploading a youtube video, I'll link it when it's available.

As you can see, the first wild battle doesn't work (I don't know why this happens), but every subsequent battle generates a different Genesect and Pikachu combination.

The battle continues until either you catch one of the two (i'll hack that so that it's like DPPt eventually, only allowing a Poké Ball throw when there's only 1 Pokémon left), or until BOTH are KO'd. The music is a slight problem, but should be easily fixable.

Currently, because I haven't found the routine which picks the Pokémon from the Pokémon in a map, the Pikachu is hard coded. In other words, the second Pokémon will always be a Pikachu, but it will always be a randomly generated Pikachu, almost certainly different from the last one.

All in all, for an hour's hacking, i'm quite chuffed at the result.
Nice! I've been picking and prodding at some of the bytes near that offset that Sonic gave, and I have been able to substitute many things, like the Marowak battle, Teachy TV Battles and Old man battles. Some are rather glitchy though.

I Just found out why it pulls up a wild battle using Archie, but Sonic1 already most likely knows why. If you use the same thing while entering a trainer battle, it makes it a double trainer battle. Since it is trying to activate a Trainer battle in a Wild battle scenario, it pulls the first default trainer in the list, being that Archie. Since there is no default party set, it just sends out ??? Pokemon as it's placeholder and warrants 1 exp. per kill.

Charizard

Last edited by Team Fail; May 31st, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 01:17 PM
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post

I Just found out why it pulls up a wild battle using Archie, but Sonic1 already most likely knows why. If you use the same thing while entering a trainer battle, it makes it a double trainer battle. Since it is trying to activate a Trainer battle in a Wild battle scenario, it pulls the first default trainer in the list, being that Archie. Since there is no default party set, it just sends out ??? Pokemon as it's placeholder and warrants 1 exp. per kill.
That is correct.
Jambo, mind telling us how you loaded the pokemon in the 2nd slot?
I mean, you surelly know that the first slot is in 202402c and the second in 202402c + 0x64.
The way i load into there is manually, using data from another pokemon of another battle, saving his data into a file and then loading it to the offset when battle is about to start.

Did you used a routine or manually loaded the data?

~Sonic1

(mage by Xryo)

PORTUGUESE USER

My Laptop SPECS:

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links