The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Would you play Pokemon Citrine?
Yes, I'd love to. Can't wait! 4 33.33%
Yeah maybe. 2 16.67%
I dunno know. It's okay. 3 25.00%
No, it needs way to much work. 1 8.33%
No, it sucks. I wouldn't even make this game. 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 3rd, 2011, 05:14 PM
chimcharsfireworks
Lennetto Region Champion

Note: We as a team still have a lot to be done. I still need to start to program the actual game, but first we need to finish all storyboards and tilesets before we may continue. I am almost finished with the storyline and tilesets so programming will begin soon :D

Expect this to be updated with more trainer sprites and more Pokemon sprites as production continues. Note me on Deviant Art or email me if you want to help us.

Alright so back to the storyline, theres a lot here that I haven't talked about that happens. It's a complex story that really forces you to pay attention to details. Things I forgot to include (sorry for spoilers, but here's your objective):
KNIGHTS OF SHADE: FROM WRETCHES TO KINGS

Spoiler:
It is said that the Shades first originated in the 1800s. At this time, the world was in the middle of a massive industrial revolution. The Order was founded by a group of scholars with good ambitions to find and protect legendary pokemon. They cataloged traits and patterns of these pokemon (which were future used in modern pokedex entries) and passed them down. As the order grew, time passed. The scholars passed down the rights of the Order down to their children and them to their children and so on. As time passed the group became only interested in their own greed and so evolved into a syndicate that managed organized crime. For years they conducted research and grew members until they decided they realized the stunning power of these legendary pokemon.

The group started to breed and enslave pokemon and sold them on the black market. Still an underground group, the government paid little to no attention to this ever growing threat. Little did they know, but the group was no over 500,000 members strong by the 1900s and was still growing at an escalating rate. In the year 1937, however, the government started cracking down on the group even more. Now the group was on the decline with membership numbers, but was growing even more desperate and violent. They wanted a new world order, feeling betrayed by their governments. A world order that could only be created by uniting the ancient gems together and creating the Citrine Crown, an artifact that would let them open the door to the Citrine Hallow.

To accomplish this goal, they would need a new leader to lead them to this goal. They searched hard to find this leader, but couldn’t find him. They searched all of Lennetto, growing bigger and bigger. But none of the new guys could help them achieve their goal. Finally, in 1876, they found their king in Obadiah Vain.

Obadiah grew up in a small beach side town that began as a sea side colony used for traders. This town later became known as Windleaf Town. Obadiah grew up here and learned about pokemon with his friends Leonus Cypress and Katherine Feywood. Each of the three where given a rare pokemon from a traveler who was walking through the town one day. Obadiah received a Pirotter, Leonus received a Shepleaf, and Katherine received a Moltra. They set out and discovered much of Lennetto, including many of the ancient ruins of a civilization before them. These ruins started the story of the Hallow. The three trainers gained much fame from their explorations.

On their explorations, the three trainers had many adventures, growing with their pokemon. But one day, in a ruin near their home, they met a pokemon that told them about a group of pokemon locked away for their heinous crimes. The pokemon tested them in a battle and gave them a quest to defeat these pokemon. The three trainers became immortal until the quest was complete. To do so, they would need to find the 7 pieces of the puzzle, the Gems of the Hallow. Each gem had a pokemon entrusted by Arceus to defend the gems and to only yield to those who defeat them in battle. The gems and their guardians are as follows (in order of when obtained by the main character):
-The Forest Emerald, guarded by Demevest
-The Swamp Agate, guarded by Artura
-The Ancient Mica, guarded by Amordite
-The Shockwave Diamond, guarded by Aeromes
-The Storm Sapphire, guarded by Stormeidon
-The Volcano Ruby, guarded by Hesphorge
-The Shadow Amethyst, guarded by Harchaes

Leonus, Obadiah, and Katherine split up and travel the world. Obadiah meets a mysterious group of people in one of his journeys and joins them. He quickly rises through the ranks, learning about the master plan they have in store for the future. He quickly rises through the ranks and levels of the Knights system, until he became king. He leads them for many years, plotting to open up the Citrine Hallows and use the powers for himself.

Leonus became a professor and met Professor Oak and together they invented the pokedex. Leonus continued to search for the gems, but also hunted for rare pokemon. In his quest, he managed to catch over 300 species of pokemon. Eventually, he built a lab and started a school for the traders who started to live in the city. He eventually met up with Katherine and fell in love, 20 years after they split up to go on their journeys.

Katherine was employed by the government to scope out gym leaders and members for Lennetto’s pokemon league. She was then assigned to a special operations team and became a leader in charge of spying on the Shade Syndicate. She also carried out direct orders from President Lee, even if the orders where to cover up something the government did. Katherine continued to search for the gems, and fell in love with Leonus on a surprise return to Windleaf.

Together, Leonus and Katherine finally managed to find a map that would lead them to the gems. They found the gems and their guardians, but left them untouched for the time being. Obadiah learned of this and made a return of his own. When he arrived, he discovered that Katherine and Leonus were in love. Obadiah had always had strong feelings for Katherine and had always competed for her. Obadiah attacked Cypress’s lab and burned Windleaf to the ground looking for the gems, but was unsuccessful. Obadiah left the town in ashes, killing most of Cypress’s pokemon in the fire. Cypress rebuilt the town and built a new school, hoping to educate students on what happened to the town. This is where you come in. But that is another story for another time.

MODERN DAY:

The Shade Empire has grown considerably within the last few years. They have a lot members world wide, but most of their members are right here in Lennetto. They have resorted to violence as one of their means to achieve their goals, and will stop at nothing to get to the Citrine Hallow. The group is now Cult like and is very secretive. The government continues to try to shut them down, but remains unsuccessful.

The Knights use organizations and people as scapegoats to their goals. Among these organizations is Zephyr Corp., the biggest enterprise in all of Lennetto. They are known to operate from their flying fortress in Endo City. They are dedicated to the rebellion and uprising of the Lennetto government. No one knows who really is a member of the Shade, but estimates state that about 1 out of 10 people in Lennetto are members of the Knights of Shade. Most members view themselves as vanguards of the revolution and will fight to their last pokemon for their beliefs.

Where the player ties into all of this:
Spoiler:
The Knight of Shade attack Windleaf (the players hometown) again after the player receives his first badge in an attempt to find where Prof. Cypress hid the map that will lead them to the Gems of the Citrine (Clever name huh? Not really). The player has to battle them to prevent them from destroying the town. Eventually he makes his way through the Knights and into a small forest near Windleaf. Here you meet Demevest, one of our legendaries, and Hoursand, our main legend, who brands you a Hero of Citrine. A Hero of Citrine is a person who is granted immortality until they complete a specific goal laid out by them by the Greek God Pokemon. So now it is your job to find the gems and prevent the Knights of Shade from using them to access the Citrine Hallow.
The Citrine Hallow is very close to the distortion world, but its purpose is to house all of the information that was used to create the Pokemon World. The reason the Shades want to reach this point is so they can alter time to make it so that the Lennetto monarchy lost a crucial war and never became so powerful.

After you receive the Forest Emerald, Cypress informs you of the story and what you must do. Essentially, you're the only thing standing in the way of the Knights of Shade and the destruction of the Lennetto Region. So now you have to journey the region and collect the remainder of the gems so the Shades can't get them.
The Shades aren't the only ones interested though, the government wants them too. The king of Lennetto, Ironius Lee, wants to use the gems to make the Shades simply disappear. So he sends his best agents, including your aunt, to spy on you and hunt you down so he can steal the gems. Eventually, when you receive all of them, the Shades and the government have the first major battle of the revolution. They both send they're best generals and elite teams to take the gems for you. You successfully defend them of course. So the game progresses with major developments of the war being heard everywhere you go. People start to take sides and it escalates.
Over the course of the game, like most Pokemon Games, you battle Lennetto's gyms. Now it's time to take on the championship. You progress through the tiers and make it to the end, managing to defeat tier 1.
As you are progressing through and are about to be entered into the Hall of Fame, Obadiah himself appears and tells you to fork over the gems. I know this is sudden, but there's a lot of events leading up to this that will make sense. The Shades have slowly been getting closer to the Olympiad of Triumph (Our Pokemon League Town area) and finally have taken the town. Now that the time has come, Obadiah attacks you and takes the gems. The champions tell you they're going to the Hidden Kingdom, where the entrance to the Citrine Hallow is said to exist. They reveal they are heroes as well.
Now even the gym leaders are taking sides in the war. You have to end this. You make it to the Hidden Kingdom just in time to witness the door to the Citrine Hallow just being opened. You enter and make your way through the maze of puzzles and finally to the end, where you battle Obadiah. He summons the two beings locked away there, Negaspark and Plutzero, and is about to use their powers to change time when Hoursand appears and stops him. Hoursand manages to permanently close the Citrine Hallow, and you are returned outside. Obadiah reveals that he didn't care about ending the rule of the government, all he cared about was being king, which understand is cliche. He flies off in anger. The rest of the Knights of Shade apologize and beg you to help them. Cypress tells you that the government is relentlessly attacking innocent people. You have to do something. (I'll be working on that last part a bit more, a few things need be worked on.
The final battle is between you and King Lee. You make your way through his castle and agents and defeat him. Now Lennetto is going to have it's first election since 1803. You return home a hero and sleep. Cue the credits. "Thugs" roughly describes the Knights of Shade at the beginning.

Well all of that was supposed to be told over the game, but there you go. The storyline in a nutshell. I hope this answers many of various questions. It is very vague and needs some work, and is missing almost all of the little details. The story is pretty much going to be told using the literary technique known as Chekhov's Gun, where a details are introduced that seemingly mean nothing, but all come together at the end in a form of assembling a puzzle.

That is the whole story. I need to tweak a few things and add to a few ideas, but that's it in a nutshell.
Also, I like my tile graphics, and so does a majority of my followers on DeviantArt that actually choose to comment :/ I need to tweak a lot of sprites and I assure you the blue dome won't be in the game. I'm also going to be editing the tall grass pallets a bit.

Also with the gym leaders, you battle through areas (based off of the gyms type of course) so you can make it to the end. You battle two gym leaders here instead of just one. The task of becoming a gym leader is very hard (Mt. Ultima, where badgium is obtained, is the hardest and most treacherous area of the game) and so is the test to become a leader.

With the starters, your rivals in this game have a bit more of a different style than the old ones. One of your rivals always has Shepleaf, Moltra, and Pirotter; another always has Kiero, Clolarm, and a Zorua; another has a Shadaby (Ghost/Dragon); and finally the last one always has Magihare and our equivalent of Blissey with higher defense. I know it seems weird that they don't have the opposite of you but it works out in the end.

I'm not even worrying about Sinnoh right now, to be honest. That's if I can get this done (which I will).

Thank you, and a few of the starter designs will be edited. I appreciate the criticism, and I must warn you I am hot-headed and have a quick temper, and I'm deeply sorry if I seem angry, that's just normal. I love to answer questions, so if you have any, don't be afraid to post them. Please be kind, and respect that I have feelings.

Last edited by chimcharsfireworks; June 4th, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old June 4th, 2011, 01:53 AM
abnegation
proudly paired with adventure

Well I've been able to follow work on your game for quite a while due to being on Deviant art.

Though I've never been much of a fan of a lot of the game due to the fact that the sprites and in general, the messyness of the graphics as a whole. By looking at your "fake screens", I see a complete clash in style. The graphics are more or less a mixture of FRLG and DPP, with generation 5 overworlds, which do not look well on these maps. I like that you have a nice choice in starter selection, but I have to say that the sprites for them could be a lot better, I would recommend working on those a bit.

I'm not entirely sure how the player is going to be involved in the storyline, I think that the player needs an objective, one that will cause them to cross paths with the antagonist parties. But here all I learned was that they graduate from the academy and go on an adventure. So I think you could maybe expand somewhat on these things.

Anyway, I know you've been workng on this a while, so I wish you luck, and try tightening up those sprites and such, they could be a let down if you don't execute them well enough.
Old June 4th, 2011, 02:11 AM
NikNaks

Nature: Jolly
Okay, for starters, putting your entire thread as a JPG is unnecessary; we don't need the real deal banner on the left. Cheers.

Your giant Pokéball is shaded horrifically badly. If there's a glow on it, there's no way the light source would be a band. In contrast, the shading on most of your trainers (although a few are clear edits) and fakemon seems fairly decent, but outlines that are too light (Moltra, Halongel), poor linework (Cymbal and the green owl) or poor concepts (Moderost) are letting you down. Badly. Kangabox is excellent, but its eyes, as with a lot of sprites, could do with being more cartoony, and less black. Look at other mammalian sprites for some ideas.

Onto the text. I'm not entirely sure I'm interested in the game's history, but I suppose it's a fine place to start. However, I'm seriously not interested in hearing how committed you are. Instead of saying you're at 12.5, work on the game and prove it. It's just blab otherwise. Concentrate on one thing, whether it's this game, or your tileset project, or your Sinnoh remake. Overstretching leads to boredom, lack of energy and apathy for your work, and, believe me, you won't have any kind of success that way. Start small and build on that.

I like the idea of incorporating magic. It seems like it could fit, but it seems bizarre that you've decided to add time, space, sound and light as new types, which are completely irrelevant to this concept. It's unnecessary bloat. Unless you're going to reinvent the battle system to suit these (which I wouldn't recommend), I'd steer clear of these.

Your story has a contradiction in it; the government clearly isn't resting on its laurels if they're being so uptight and forceful that the people are getting irritated. That literally doesn't make sense. "Knights of Shade" don't sound like thugs, either. They sound fairly organised, and look it, too.

I'm not at all convinced by your starter idea. Two each? I'm almost guaranteed to pick the water or ground one to combat the rival's Moltra, and then another, say Cantou, to take out a grass type that he might pick to compensate. It seems horribly unbalanced and uncontrollable. If you had a choice of six, with three from two different triangles, then that might be intriguing, but you need to think about this one a lot more.

While the "fragments" idea sounds good, borrowing off the anime's concept of gym challenges, I'm not sure I like the sound of adding an extra ten or twenty key battles by way of tiering. Sounds a bit repetitive, frankly. More diverse challenges sound more interesting, though. Is it a case of tackling only 8 of the leaders, or do you need to beat them all to collect all the fragments, out of interest? One sounds much more appealing than the other.

Badgium sounds corny, but the actual backstory to it is clever. I'd like to see more of a "there's a gap, so people apply" rather than your system which allows anyone successful to become a leader, regardless of whether there's room.

The mock-ups look good, but the grass palette clashes slightly, and the blue dome in the lab/headquarters thing on the left needs some work.

Okay, there are my thoughts. I hope they're helpful and constructive.
Old June 4th, 2011, 08:32 AM
chimcharsfireworks
Lennetto Region Champion

NikNaks: The giant pokeball was honestly made in five minutes. I really didn't care about it, cause it's not relevant to anything with production. If I really wanted to take the time and correctly shade it I would, but I'm never going to use it again. And its not supposed to be JPEG'ed. I have it saved as a PNG file on my computer. :/

Alright so back to the storyline, theres a lot here that I haven't talked about that happens. It's a complex story that really forces you to pay attention to details. Things I forgot to include (sorry for spoilers, but here's your objective):
KNIGHTS OF SHADE: FROM WRETCHES TO KINGS

Spoiler:
It is said that the Shades first originated in the 1800s. At this time, the world was in the middle of a massive industrial revolution. The Order was founded by a group of scholars with good ambitions to find and protect legendary pokemon. They cataloged traits and patterns of these pokemon (which were future used in modern pokedex entries) and passed them down. As the order grew, time passed. The scholars passed down the rights of the Order down to their children and them to their children and so on. As time passed the group became only interested in their own greed and so evolved into a syndicate that managed organized crime. For years they conducted research and grew members until they decided they realized the stunning power of these legendary pokemon.

The group started to breed and enslave pokemon and sold them on the black market. Still an underground group, the government paid little to no attention to this ever growing threat. Little did they know, but the group was no over 500,000 members strong by the 1900s and was still growing at an escalating rate. In the year 1937, however, the government started cracking down on the group even more. Now the group was on the decline with membership numbers, but was growing even more desperate and violent. They wanted a new world order, feeling betrayed by their governments. A world order that could only be created by uniting the ancient gems together and creating the Citrine Crown, an artifact that would let them open the door to the Citrine Hallow.

To accomplish this goal, they would need a new leader to lead them to this goal. They searched hard to find this leader, but couldn’t find him. They searched all of Lennetto, growing bigger and bigger. But none of the new guys could help them achieve their goal. Finally, in 1876, they found their king in Obadiah Vain.

Obadiah grew up in a small beach side town that began as a sea side colony used for traders. This town later became known as Windleaf Town. Obadiah grew up here and learned about pokemon with his friends Leonus Cypress and Katherine Feywood. Each of the three where given a rare pokemon from a traveler who was walking through the town one day. Obadiah received a Pirotter, Leonus received a Shepleaf, and Katherine received a Moltra. They set out and discovered much of Lennetto, including many of the ancient ruins of a civilization before them. These ruins started the story of the Hallow. The three trainers gained much fame from their explorations.

On their explorations, the three trainers had many adventures, growing with their pokemon. But one day, in a ruin near their home, they met a pokemon that told them about a group of pokemon locked away for their heinous crimes. The pokemon tested them in a battle and gave them a quest to defeat these pokemon. The three trainers became immortal until the quest was complete. To do so, they would need to find the 7 pieces of the puzzle, the Gems of the Hallow. Each gem had a pokemon entrusted by Arceus to defend the gems and to only yield to those who defeat them in battle. The gems and their guardians are as follows (in order of when obtained by the main character):
-The Forest Emerald, guarded by Demevest
-The Swamp Agate, guarded by Artura
-The Ancient Mica, guarded by Amordite
-The Shockwave Diamond, guarded by Aeromes
-The Storm Sapphire, guarded by Stormeidon
-The Volcano Ruby, guarded by Hesphorge
-The Shadow Amethyst, guarded by Harchaes

Leonus, Obadiah, and Katherine split up and travel the world. Obadiah meets a mysterious group of people in one of his journeys and joins them. He quickly rises through the ranks, learning about the master plan they have in store for the future. He quickly rises through the ranks and levels of the Knights system, until he became king. He leads them for many years, plotting to open up the Citrine Hallows and use the powers for himself.

Leonus became a professor and met Professor Oak and together they invented the pokedex. Leonus continued to search for the gems, but also hunted for rare pokemon. In his quest, he managed to catch over 300 species of pokemon. Eventually, he built a lab and started a school for the traders who started to live in the city. He eventually met up with Katherine and fell in love, 20 years after they split up to go on their journeys.

Katherine was employed by the government to scope out gym leaders and members for Lennetto’s pokemon league. She was then assigned to a special operations team and became a leader in charge of spying on the Shade Syndicate. She also carried out direct orders from President Lee, even if the orders where to cover up something the government did. Katherine continued to search for the gems, and fell in love with Leonus on a surprise return to Windleaf.

Together, Leonus and Katherine finally managed to find a map that would lead them to the gems. They found the gems and their guardians, but left them untouched for the time being. Obadiah learned of this and made a return of his own. When he arrived, he discovered that Katherine and Leonus were in love. Obadiah had always had strong feelings for Katherine and had always competed for her. Obadiah attacked Cypress’s lab and burned Windleaf to the ground looking for the gems, but was unsuccessful. Obadiah left the town in ashes, killing most of Cypress’s pokemon in the fire. Cypress rebuilt the town and built a new school, hoping to educate students on what happened to the town. This is where you come in. But that is another story for another time.

MODERN DAY:

The Shade Empire has grown considerably within the last few years. They have a lot members world wide, but most of their members are right here in Lennetto. They have resorted to violence as one of their means to achieve their goals, and will stop at nothing to get to the Citrine Hallow. The group is now Cult like and is very secretive. The government continues to try to shut them down, but remains unsuccessful.

The Knights use organizations and people as scapegoats to their goals. Among these organizations is Zephyr Corp., the biggest enterprise in all of Lennetto. They are known to operate from their flying fortress in Endo City. They are dedicated to the rebellion and uprising of the Lennetto government. No one knows who really is a member of the Shade, but estimates state that about 1 out of 10 people in Lennetto are members of the Knights of Shade. Most members view themselves as vanguards of the revolution and will fight to their last pokemon for their beliefs.

Where the player ties into all of this:
Spoiler:
The Knight of Shade attack Windleaf (the players hometown) again after the player receives his first badge in an attempt to find where Prof. Cypress hid the map that will lead them to the Gems of the Citrine (Clever name huh? Not really). The player has to battle them to prevent them from destroying the town. Eventually he makes his way through the Knights and into a small forest near Windleaf. Here you meet Demevest, one of our legendaries, and Hoursand, our main legend, who brands you a Hero of Citrine. A Hero of Citrine is a person who is granted immortality until they complete a specific goal laid out by them by the Greek God Pokemon. So now it is your job to find the gems and prevent the Knights of Shade from using them to access the Citrine Hallow.
The Citrine Hallow is very close to the distortion world, but its purpose is to house all of the information that was used to create the Pokemon World. The reason the Shades want to reach this point is so they can alter time to make it so that the Lennetto monarchy lost a crucial war and never became so powerful.

After you receive the Forest Emerald, Cypress informs you of the story and what you must do. Essentially, you're the only thing standing in the way of the Knights of Shade and the destruction of the Lennetto Region. So now you have to journey the region and collect the remainder of the gems so the Shades can't get them.
The Shades aren't the only ones interested though, the government wants them too. The king of Lennetto, Ironius Lee, wants to use the gems to make the Shades simply disappear. So he sends his best agents, including your aunt, to spy on you and hunt you down so he can steal the gems. Eventually, when you receive all of them, the Shades and the government have the first major battle of the revolution. They both send they're best generals and elite teams to take the gems for you. You successfully defend them of course. So the game progresses with major developments of the war being heard everywhere you go. People start to take sides and it escalates.
Over the course of the game, like most Pokemon Games, you battle Lennetto's gyms. Now it's time to take on the championship. You progress through the tiers and make it to the end, managing to defeat tier 1.
As you are progressing through and are about to be entered into the Hall of Fame, Obadiah himself appears and tells you to fork over the gems. I know this is sudden, but there's a lot of events leading up to this that will make sense. The Shades have slowly been getting closer to the Olympiad of Triumph (Our Pokemon League Town area) and finally have taken the town. Now that the time has come, Obadiah attacks you and takes the gems. The champions tell you they're going to the Hidden Kingdom, where the entrance to the Citrine Hallow is said to exist. They reveal they are heroes as well.
Now even the gym leaders are taking sides in the war. You have to end this. You make it to the Hidden Kingdom just in time to witness the door to the Citrine Hallow just being opened. You enter and make your way through the maze of puzzles and finally to the end, where you battle Obadiah. He summons the two beings locked away there, Negaspark and Plutzero, and is about to use their powers to change time when Hoursand appears and stops him. Hoursand manages to permanently close the Citrine Hallow, and you are returned outside. Obadiah reveals that he didn't care about ending the rule of the government, all he cared about was being king, which understand is cliche. He flies off in anger. The rest of the Knights of Shade apologize and beg you to help them. Cypress tells you that the government is relentlessly attacking innocent people. You have to do something. (I'll be working on that last part a bit more, a few things need be worked on.
The final battle is between you and King Lee. You make your way through his castle and agents and defeat him. Now Lennetto is going to have it's first election since 1803. You return home a hero and sleep. Cue the credits. "Thugs" roughly describes the Knights of Shade at the beginning.

Well all of that was supposed to be told over the game, but there you go. The storyline in a nutshell. I hope this answers many of various questions. It is very vague and needs some work, and is missing almost all of the little details. The story is pretty much going to be told using the literary technique known as Chekhov's Gun, where a details are introduced that seemingly mean nothing, but all come together at the end in a form of assembling a puzzle.

That is the whole story. I need to tweak a few things and add to a few ideas, but that's it in a nutshell.
Also, I like my tile graphics, and so does a majority of my followers on DeviantArt that actually choose to comment :/ I need to tweak a lot of sprites and I assure you the blue dome won't be in the game. I'm also going to be editing the tall grass pallets a bit.

Also with the gym leaders, you battle through areas (based off of the gyms type of course) so you can make it to the end. You battle two gym leaders here instead of just one. The task of becoming a gym leader is very hard (Mt. Ultima, where badgium is obtained, is the hardest and most treacherous area of the game) and so is the test to become a leader.

With the starters, your rivals in this game have a bit more of a different style than the old ones. One of your rivals always has Shepleaf, Moltra, and Pirotter; another always has Kiero, Clolarm, and a Zorua; another has a Shadaby (Ghost/Dragon); and finally the last one always has Magihare and our equivalent of Blissey with higher defense. I know it seems weird that they don't have the opposite of you but it works out in the end.

I'm not even worrying about Sinnoh right now, to be honest. That's if I can get this done (which I will).

Thank you, and a few of the starter designs will be edited. I appreciate the criticism, and I must warn you I am hot-headed and have a quick temper, and I'm deeply sorry if I seem angry, that's just normal. I would aslo like to say I am a fan of both of your projects :D

Last edited by chimcharsfireworks; June 4th, 2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old June 4th, 2011, 09:28 AM
NikNaks

I'm finding it very difficult to find answers to my questions in such a long post. o.o From what I can tell, though, you haven't really answered most of my points. Nothing on the new types or the gym system question. You also seem to have missed my point about the image; it'd be clearer as just text. And I did say I thought your mock-ups were decent, but the grass didn't seem to fit as well as the rest of it. There we are. The storyline hasn't answered any of my questions, I'm afraid. :/ Although, why is this "secretive, cult-like" organisation described as a bunch of thugs?

Maybe you misread my post, or read it in a hurry, but there are lots of things I'm curious about.
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:05 AM
chimcharsfireworks
Lennetto Region Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
I'm finding it very difficult to find answers to my questions in such a long post. o.o From what I can tell, though, you haven't really answered most of my points. Nothing on the new types or the gym system question. You also seem to have missed my point about the image; it'd be clearer as just text. And I did say I thought your mock-ups were decent, but the grass didn't seem to fit as well as the rest of it. There we are. The storyline hasn't answered any of my questions, I'm afraid. :/ Although, why is this "secretive, cult-like" organisation described as a bunch of thugs?

Maybe you misread my post, or read it in a hurry, but there are lots of things I'm curious about.
Sorry I'll answer those real quick. The pallet part was to Abnegation (who isn't my biggest fan :/)
New Types: Well I like the idea of having new types. I wouldn't be editing the battle system so much as just adding a little bit more to the text documents of RMXP (I can't for the life of me remember what it's called and I don't have it on this computer) in the areas of weaknesses and advantages and adding new spaces for the four types. It wouldn't be that hard. Move wise, it's just simply adding a few new moves for those specific types. Again, not hard.

Gym System: I guess it does add a bunch of battles to the game, but it also adds a little bit of a challenge. I'm not sure if it's going to be two separate battles yet or just a double battle. You have to battle each of the leaders in a gym to receive that one badge. So the first gym for instance is rock and ground. You have to battle both leaders and them you receive the badge put together.

Thugs: They're described as "thugs" because at the beginning of the game you know nothing about them. They've been secretly planning for a while and now they've kinda sprung up over the last year or so. They go around causing mischief and stealing people's pokemon at first before the attack on Windleaf.

Text/Image: Maybe separating them would have been better, I agree.

Sorry for not answering your questions
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:11 AM
NikNaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimcharsfireworks View Post
New Types: Well I like the idea of having new types. I wouldn't be editing the battle system so much as just adding a little bit more to the text documents of RMXP (I can't for the life of me remember what it's called and I don't have it on this computer) in the areas of weaknesses and advantages and adding new spaces for the four types. It wouldn't be that hard. Move wise, it's just simply adding a few new moves for those specific types. Again, not hard.
I think you're overlooking a huge amount of balance issues you'd introduce. The amount of work that would have to go into making sure your new types weren't overpowered, didn't make other types significantly weaker or stronger and still maintained enough of a difference to make them worthwhile additions is considerable. The existing battle system was rebalanced to fix those issues for Generation II, and Nintendo, and everyone else for that matter, seem to think it's fairly safe as it is. I don't see any need for it, and it'll just create a pile of work and waste your time.
Quote:
Gym System: I guess it does add a bunch of battles to the game, but it also adds a little bit of a challenge. I'm not sure if it's going to be two separate battles yet or just a double battle. You have to battle each of the leaders in a gym to receive that one badge. So the first gym for instance is rock and ground. You have to battle both leaders and them you receive the badge put together.
I'm not sure I like that, but there we go. Fair enough.

I can't bring myself to read all of that plot right now, but if I have more time tomorrow, I'll try to give you some crit on it.
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:24 AM
chimcharsfireworks
Lennetto Region Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
I think you're overlooking a huge amount of balance issues you'd introduce. The amount of work that would have to go into making sure your new types weren't overpowered, didn't make other types significantly weaker or stronger and still maintained enough of a difference to make them worthwhile additions is considerable. The existing battle system was rebalanced to fix those issues for Generation II, and Nintendo, and everyone else for that matter, seem to think it's fairly safe as it is. I don't see any need for it, and it'll just create a pile of work and waste your time.

I'm not sure I like that, but there we go. Fair enough.

I can't bring myself to read all of that plot right now, but if I have more time tomorrow, I'll try to give you some crit on it.
Types: I'll figure it out :D They aren't gonna be overly powerful or anything I assure you. They also won't be god awfully weak.

Gyms: It sounds weird, but its one of those things you kinda have to see to believe it. I'll be playing with a majority of things when I get to that point.

Plot: Yeah it's a lot... It's pretty vague and missing many details Thank you for trying to read it though :D

If you have any more questions, I would love to answer them :D

Last edited by chimcharsfireworks; June 4th, 2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:59 AM
chimcharsfireworks
Lennetto Region Champion

Update: I made some more trainer sprites for Citrine.

Last edited by chimcharsfireworks; June 21st, 2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links