The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Gen 5's evolution type (Karrablast -> Escavalier when traded with a Shelmet or Shelmet -> Accelgor when traded with a Karrablast) works with IN GAME TRADES only at this time. I cannot test how the game works with proper trading, and as such, can make NO guarantees that it will work. I expect that it will not work, but feel free to give it a try.
Use VBA-link to test the trading. Should work if in-game ones work though I think.

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

If someone can create a Pokémon colosseum remake with graphics and scripting that are very appealing to my eyes I will help them with implementing actual shadow Pokémon.
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Meta Paradox
Researching FireRed...

Nature: Serious
Quote:
I have some ideas for simple sprite varying formes, as they aren't hard to do in any way. At the end of the day, the Unown are simply differing formes of the same Pokémon, so we can easily copy the routines for the Unown, bend them to suit our purposes (check genders/held items and such) and load the appropriate sprite for the result of the check.

However, formes with differing TYPES are going to be an absolute B***H to do. From what I can tell, the type data is not stored in the Pokémon's data, but is loaded from the Pokémon data tables dynamically as it's needed. This means that we will need to create literally hundreds of new routines which run the same checks as the sprite ones above to try to force different typing on different formes.

Is it really worth doing this...?
Yeah, about the Is it really worth parts, I'm telling you, IT IS.

Moving on, I suggest that you should try to work with JPAN's hacked engine, as I can see that this and that combined would be a total FireRed hacker heaven. And I saw something about the integration with JPAN's save block hack, too, so this would be a good option.

You still do the work, though, so it's really up to you.
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta Paradox View Post
Yeah, about the Is it really worth parts, I'm telling you, IT IS.

Moving on, I suggest that you should try to work with JPAN's hacked engine, as I can see that this and that combined would be a total FireRed hacker heaven. And I saw something about the integration with JPAN's save block hack, too, so this would be a good option.

You still do the work, though, so it's really up to you.
While it would certainly be possible to include JPAN's hack with this, I refuse to do so without JPAN's say so. I'm only including the save block hack because it's 100% necessary for it to work. And I made sure to credit JPAN for it. I never said I made it.

The formes are a pain in the rear end to do, but are possible. I still can't find the type(s) in the Pokémon's data, so I can't see any way of doing the type changing formes right now, except to force a species change without evolving but have it have very similar data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer2020 View Post
Quote:
Gen 5's evolution type (Karrablast -> Escavalier when traded with a Shelmet or Shelmet -> Accelgor when traded with a Karrablast) works with IN GAME TRADES only at this time. I cannot test how the game works with proper trading, and as such, can make NO guarantees that it will work. I expect that it will not work, but feel free to give it a try.
Use VBA-link to test the trading. Should work if in-game ones work though I think.
I tested it (in spite of VBA-Link crashing every 2 seconds) and the evolution does work. Hooray for me!
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:09 AM
hi sir tomato my password is syvniti's Avatar
hi sir tomato my password is syvniti
gggggggggggggggggg

Quote:
For those who've been asking, I will probably release this publically as a patch when I've finished inserting all the data. This will mean it can't be used on a hack which is in progress. I'll most likely highlight the significant data in the patch so that people can copy it over to their roms if they want to use it on an already started hack. Of course, the patch will only be for BPRE as I simply don't have the time to sit and translate all the data and limiters over to another rom.

Current Patch Progress:
Limiters (100%)
Names (100%)
Front Sprites (100%)
Back Sprites (42% - Up to and including Servine in - No shiny pallets though)
Pokémon Data (100%)
Pokédex Entries (90% - Need to edit scale for comparison for nearly all, but everything else is in)
Movesets (0%)
TM/HM Compatibilities (0%)
Evolution Data (95%)
Evolution Types Added (100%)
Icons (0%)
Cries (100%)
Footprints (0%)
Pokédex Habitat Data (100%)

As you can see, there is a LOT of stuff to be done before I can truly call it complete. The routines work, yes, but that's about it.
Hey Yo, Is there any updates? What are the percentages currently?
Old June 5th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
^ Dude.
You're ... back!
I second this question.
My keyboard fingers and hacking brains are getting itchy. >.<

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old June 5th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Pokeshadow13
Me^^

Nature: Jolly
Hi, in the simple questions forum i asked this question:

"Hi I know this will probably sound stupid as I'm about to ask the opposite of what most pokedex related questions are but since I can't figure it out and there seem to be no posts on it I'll still ask it:

How do I REMOVE Pokemon from the pokedex (so there are only #1-151) and so that when you catch all of them (only the 151) you can get your diploma?

Also I would like to add a bonus Pokemon (Missingno.) that you do not have to catch to receive the diploma.

The rom I am attempting to hack is Pokemon FireRed US (CoolROM)

This would be greatly appreciated (if you can help me of course)

Thanks in advance (map ;P)

Pokeshadow13"

Well I got the same answer every time- don't give them the national dex and don't put the other Pokemon wild. But I want to actualy delete them from the game. Since you seem to be the only pokedex post I guess you might be able to help.

Well thanks in advance.

Pokeshadow13
Old June 5th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Well. You would have to change all the pointers to references of each pokemon in every table to NULL, and set a few bytes in the asm-codes to remove the limiting factors of the in-built code.
*edit* But seriously. It's way easier to just not give them the national pokedex and not worry about removing the pokemon's data. What happens if a player gets in a battle with another game? HM?

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old June 9th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Paupir
Dreamer

Nature: Naughty
Won't you reveal how you got the evolutionary stones working, or where the routine is?
It's my greatest foe.
Old June 10th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paupir View Post
Won't you reveal how you got the evolutionary stones working, or where the routine is?
It's my greatest foe.
If I could remember how I did it, I would! The Dawn Stone is still slightly buggy, FYI, so I'll need to fix them anyway!

On a related note, I currently cannot access Pokecommunity from my PC, so there may be a delay on any information, requests and any patch itself.
Old June 11th, 2011, 02:46 PM
MKSSB
OKですか?

Jambo told me to post this progress update as he can't enter to Pokécommunity.

Current Patch Progress:
Limiters (100%)
Names (100%)
Front Sprites (100%)
Pokémon Data (100%)
Pokédex Entries (90% - Need to edit scale for comparison for nearly all, but everything else is in)
Movesets (0%)
TM/HM Compatibilities (5%)
Evolution Data (99%) - Need to edit Eevee's reading to support 7 evos instead of 5
Evolution Types Added (99%) - Dawn Stone is slightly bugged
Icons (100%) - Might add a few extra pallets to make it work better
Cries (100%)
Footprints (0%)
New Base Exp System (80%)
Item Use Coordinates (0%)
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSSB View Post
Jambo told me to post this progress update as he can't enter to Pokécommunity.

Current Patch Progress:
Limiters (100%)
Names (100%)
Front Sprites (100%)
Pokémon Data (100%)
Movesets (0%)
Evolution Data (99%) - Need to edit Eevee's reading to support 7 evos instead of 5
Evolution Types Added (99%) - Dawn Stone is slightly bugged
Cries (100%)
Footprints (0%)
New Base Exp System (80%)
I didn't TELL you to, I asked you to
Anyway, here's a newer update for this:

Current Patch Progress:
Limiters (100%)
Names (100%)
Front Sprites (100%)
Pokémon Data (100%)
Movesets (6%)
Evolution Data (100%)
Evolution Types Added (100%)
Icons (100%)
Cries (100%)
Footprints (0%)
New Base Exp System (100%)

A big thanks to "hi sir tomato my password is syvniti" for his help with the Icons!
Also, Apologies if this post looks weird, but I'm having to post in a weird way XD

Last edited by Jambo51; June 17th, 2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Gamer2020

Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:

New Base Exp System (100%)
1) Aren't there three palletes in the DS games as well? In fact the same ones?

2) New base EXP system? That is the same to isn't it? There is no need to update these things?

3) Jack confused =0

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

If someone can create a Pokémon colosseum remake with graphics and scripting that are very appealing to my eyes I will help them with implementing actual shadow Pokémon.
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

^ I think he means for things like the mossy rock for leafeon and the cold rock for glaceon?

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
1) Aren't there three palletes in the DS games as well? In fact the same ones?

2) New base EXP system? That is the same to isn't it? There is no need to update these things?

3) Jack confused =0
1) Yeah, DPPt has 3 icon pallets, all of which are the same as FR's, this much is clear. However, the Unova Pokémon clearly have a new set of pallets available to them, as there are quite a few icons which look dodgy (Snivy, Pansage/Simisage) or downright wrong (Munna, Basculin) in FR's pallets.

2) The old system only supported a byte for the base exp, giving us a ceiling value of 255. I needed higher as quite a number of Generation 2-5's legendaries got a rethink of base exp in Gen 4, which requires a half word. I made a table of a half-word for each species, separate from the existing data. Simple as that.

3) When using an item on a Pokémon in FireRed, the game plays a little animation. The co-ordinates I refer to are where on the screen the item gets "used on". I believe they are offsets from the centre of the screen, although I would need to find the table again to be sure.

Old June 17th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Gamer2020

Quote:
1) Yeah, DPPt has 3 icon pallets, all of which are the same as FR's, this much is clear. However, the Unova Pokémon clearly have a new set of pallets available to them, as there are quite a few icons which look dodgy (Snivy, Pansage/Simisage) or downright wrong (Munna, Basculin) in FR's pallets.
You sure you dumped them with the right pallete? The ones I have look ok so idk =/

Old June 18th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:

You sure you dumped them with the right pallete? The ones I have look ok so idk =/
Turns out you were right. I replaced a good few sprites with new ones, and there was a vast improvament in the colouring of those sprites. I still feel that there are a few which could do with a new pallet, but it's a low priority, if a priority at all.
Old June 19th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Gamer2020

Quote:
Turns out you were right. I replaced a good few sprites with new ones, and there was a vast improvament in the colouring of those sprites. I still feel that there are a few which could do with a new pallet, but it's a low priority, if a priority at all.
Yay! =) Like I said before you are better off just using the question mark images cause most likely people will want to use differemt sprites. some people may even want to use fakemon.

Old June 19th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Yay! =) Like I said before you are better off just using the question mark images cause most likely people will want to use differemt sprites. some people may even want to use fakemon.
I'll post the necessary info for people to extend upon this hack should they wish to, for fakemon/new generations if and when they come along. But I'm coming round to your way of thinking tbh, in that it might not be a bad idea just to release a basic patch with just the asm edited to support extra pokémon, but without the actual Pokémon included.
Old June 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Gamer2020

Quote:
I'll post the necessary info for people to extend upon this hack should they wish to, for fakemon/new generations if and when they come along. But I'm coming round to your way of thinking tbh, in that it might not be a bad idea just to release a basic patch with just the asm edited to support extra pokémon, but without the actual Pokémon included.
I mean in my opinion it's better to just release the "how to" then an already made patch so people can actually learn. But it's up to you and the majority of people are just lazy and would only be interested in the patch version. Either way I do hope people actually credit you and appreciate what you have done because you have put a lot of work into adding all the data for the Pokemon.

Old June 19th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Meta Paradox
Researching FireRed...

Nature: Serious
Why don't you release a do it yourself first then release a 5th Gen patch later on?
Old June 20th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta Paradox View Post
Why don't you release a do it yourself first then release a 5th Gen patch later on?
Very few people will acually be able to follow a tutorial for this through as there is a LOT of related data and asm to go with it.

It would take me longer to actually write the tutorial than to finish the patch now...
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Paupir
Dreamer

Nature: Naughty
I know you're doing this for yourself too, so you should just continue with a patch and maybe write up the basic info on what to do if you were to extend it, as planned

Though really, I'd want to port this to Emerald, so I'd somewhat prefer a nice long tutorial even if it was hard to follow XD - Was just planning on working with whatever you released and reverse engineering from there (if need be) to try porting it.

You're doing a stunning job, so no one minds waiting a little longer~
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Hi-Techneon
Trainer

Nature: Rash
Just a suggestion, but once this patch is finished, you (or somebody else) could make a tool for quickly adding Pokémon etc, which would help beginning hackers alot (as most of them can't even hex edit).

Anyway, you're doing a great job, good luck!

VDex:
White:
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Shiny Quagsire
Unexpectedly Gone until Aug 13

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Very few people will acually be able to follow a tutorial for this through as there is a LOT of related data and asm to go with it.

It would take me longer to actually write the tutorial than to finish the patch now...
I dunno, I'm more or less, looking into adding a few extra Pokemon instead of the whole Pokedex. Maybe instead of a big tutorial document, just to a quick run-through of the different limiting routines and how to patch them, and state the tables to repoint. That's all I'd need to get it. Then maybe later on you could make a more detailed document. But with basic innformation I could make a patcher to insert more Pokemon at ease, or one for your patch to things don't interfere with pre-existing data. Your choice.

Old June 20th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Gamer2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Techneon View Post
Just a suggestion, but once this patch is finished, you (or somebody else) could make a tool for quickly adding Pokémon etc, which would help beginning hackers alot (as most of them can't even hex edit).

Anyway, you're doing a great job, good luck!
Maybe. That's not really necessary if a patch get's released. Let's all just let Jambo51 do what he want's to do. It's his work not ours.

@Jambo51 Give me a couple of days. I got the move tutors loading correctly is seems so I should be able to have it edit all moves by next release.

Last edited by Gamer2020; June 20th, 2011 at 10:19 AM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links