Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups
Reload this Page Atheist Alliance

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old June 4th, 2011 (02:06 PM). Edited June 4th, 2011 by Sonicspeed500.
Debbie Downer

Nature: Serious
An atheist thread? Should I be excited or scared?
I am so sick of all the Atheists I've known that completely dumbfound the world around them with stuff that really doesn't make any sense. It's as if people want to rule out something they know nothing about, simply out of spite. They take things a bit too literally and stretch the meaning a bit too far. There is no effort to obtain it, no true research given into it's study. (Jurassic Park anybody?)

Atheists seem to be only driven by PROOF of things (and if you aren't, maybe you should change how you talk about it to other people O.o). Why believe a God is real if you have no proof? You have to agree with that. In reality, it may seem to make sense, but we humans have such narrow concepts and visions of time and space that we don't even truly know the half of it. Just as the world was once thought of as flat, the big bang theory now is seen as false by the scientific community that started it. The news media is constantly bringing up new results that certain foods like Wine and Apples are good for you or bad for you.

If you want to actually PROVE something wrong, do some full research on it, don't just pick other peoples junk up. Before I finish however, I will say that I am a Christian, and I am Horrified at the world today. I'm not outlandishly attacking you Atheists (this seemed like the right place for my rant), but other churches seriously scare the daylights out of me. Despite what they preach, it's a whole new world in their real life. What they live and what they teach are entirely different. When other people see this, I don't blame them for feeling lied to.

If anyone even dares to attack me (lol), please at least read my entire post before assaulting me. lol I have no problem with a debate, but I didn't come here to fight. Atheists are just perceived as a hate group when I'm attacked so blatantly. If you don't believe in God, I won't attempt to force you to love Jesus. Just know that not all Christians are your enemy. Most Christians would love to spit on you, but they don't even follow their own word in that case (which, honestly, makes me sick). The Bible says I should love my enemies unconditionally. I'm not your friend, (maybe yet) And im not perfect, but I will honor that I believe you are from the same creation as me. So yeah... It's pretty bad that I can't even go to a church without feeling a bit disgusted with how gloated some people are, or how hypocritical some others are. Some people are just sue-happy "I love you cause youre a fellow christian, but I dont want to touch or hug you if you payed me a hundred bucks". :/

Also on a different note...
Not trying to stir up too much ruckus...
Atheism is an absent belief in a deity or religion... soooo you are against it...

AROOOOLNUMBATWO

No "anti" clubs.
Let's keep everything positive here. No clubs that are against anything.

....jus sayin'
Old June 4th, 2011 (11:03 PM). Edited June 4th, 2011 by Gymnotide.
8377 | Scorpaeniform

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by Sonicspeed500:
An atheist thread? Should I be excited or scared?
I am so sick of all the Atheists I've known that completely dumbfound the world around them with stuff that really doesn't make any sense. It's as if people want to rule out something they know nothing about, simply out of spite. They take things a bit too literally and stretch the meaning a bit too far. There is no effort to obtain it, no true research given into it's study. (Jurassic Park anybody?)

Atheists seem to be only driven by PROOF of things (and if you aren't, maybe you should change how you talk about it to other people O.o). Why believe a God is real if you have no proof? You have to agree with that. In reality, it may seem to make sense, but we humans have such narrow concepts and visions of time and space that we don't even truly know the half of it. Just as the world was once thought of as flat, the big bang theory now is seen as false by the scientific community that started it. The news media is constantly bringing up new results that certain foods like Wine and Apples are good for you or bad for you.

If you want to actually PROVE something wrong, do some full research on it, don't just pick other peoples junk up. Before I finish however, I will say that I am a Christian, and I am Horrified at the world today. I'm not outlandishly attacking you Atheists (this seemed like the right place for my rant), but other churches seriously scare the daylights out of me. Despite what they preach, it's a whole new world in their real life. What they live and what they teach are entirely different. When other people see this, I don't blame them for feeling lied to.

If anyone even dares to attack me (lol), please at least read my entire post before assaulting me. lol I have no problem with a debate, but I didn't come here to fight. Atheists are just perceived as a hate group when I'm attacked so blatantly. If you don't believe in God, I won't attempt to force you to love Jesus. Just know that not all Christians are your enemy. Most Christians would love to spit on you, but they don't even follow their own word in that case (which, honestly, makes me sick). The Bible says I should love my enemies unconditionally. I'm not your friend, (maybe yet) And im not perfect, but I will honor that I believe you are from the same creation as me. So yeah... It's pretty bad that I can't even go to a church without feeling a bit disgusted with how gloated some people are, or how hypocritical some others are. Some people are just sue-happy "I love you cause youre a fellow christian, but I dont want to touch or hug you if you payed me a hundred bucks". :/

Atheism is an absent belief in a deity or religion... soooo you are against it...

AROOOOLNUMBATWO

No "anti" clubs.

....jus sayin'
I'll respond to your post properly another time.

You're wrong though. Atheism is definitely not the rejection of religion. It's only the god part. Not all religions have gods.

Also, common misconception... No one except Columbus' expedition thought the world was flat. The Greeks and Egyptians proved that the world was round ages before that era. The Muslims, Andalusians, and alchemists proved this even more later on. In fact, even the Norse have evidence in their literature and artifacts that they knew the shape of the Earth too. The world being round was widely accepted even as Columbus tried to prove otherwise.

Finally, it's not the fact that the scientific community believes the Big Bang is untrue, but rather that they have reformulated their theory from an actual "bang" to a slower, Big "Collapse." It still functions the same way as the Big Bang Theory, only the perception of it is different.

Not trying to be rude, but please ground your examples :/

"I want to tear myself from this place, from this reality, rise up like a cloud and float away, melt into this humid summer night and dissolve somewhere far, over the hills. But I am here, my legs blocks of concrete, my lungs empty of air, my throat burning. There will be no floating away."

Khaled Hosseini

→ Refresh for a different picture
→ White FC: Haruka 0347 0171 1756

whoever disabled my signature:
my signature is not even close to 300px tall.
i dont understand why it was disabled.
Old June 5th, 2011 (08:26 AM). Edited June 5th, 2011 by NurseBarbra.
くら くら?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NurseBarbra

AROOOOLNUMBATWO

No "anti" clubs.

....jus sayin'
No.
Quote:
Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist. Atheism is contrasted with theism,which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.
No "Anti" Clubs means that we can't make a "Jewish beliefs only club. No Christians allowed" club and such. But the AA is a free to join club, no matter what you believe in, As we aren't snobby one faced deaf idiots who don't listen to a matter, weight the choices and decide with good judgement. We haven't said anywhere that we were ANTI- anything. Kthxzbai~

EDIT:

It's SO ADORABLE YET SO SAD.... ; _____ ;
Old June 5th, 2011 (09:30 AM). Edited June 5th, 2011 by Sonicspeed500.
Debbie Downer

Please do not attack me with a blatant response if you didn't read it.
If you got irritated from my response, please cool down first.
The Rule about the anti clubs is exactly about controversial matters because they tend to become out of hand.
Like i said, I have no problem with this thread, I'm just commenting, and I was looking for a member of the thread to have a bold and artistic conversation about.

Quote:
You're wrong though. Atheism is definitely not the rejection of religion. It's only the god part. Not all religions have gods.
Well thanks for making me feel bad, you know, because I said exactly that.
If you did post properly you would've seen that:

Quote:
Atheism is an absent belief in a deity
Next time, take your time to post please...
I put the religion as an "or" because I have met Atheists that consider it that way.
I never said Atheism was specifically the rejection of religion (which you are right about, it's not always.)

Quote:
Not trying to be rude, but please ground your examples :/
I never provided any examples you silly :p
This was merely meant to be a sophisticated talk, not a college essay.
There is a difference between speaking from wisdom and from fact.
And i did ask to take your time to respond to me because I wanted us all to think, not to post quickly.

Quote:
As we aren't snobby one faced deaf idiots who don't listen to a matter
LOL Yeah, I never said you were. I'm not that mean. lol

And about the world flat and all that,
My misconceptions are noted, as I did not know that. Hence, the reason I posted! A-ha!

Now... to change the subject back to what I was talking about...
What do you guys think about Time and Space though? Do you guys suspect that maybe in a different universe there lies a God of some kind? a being with the abilities to warp time? Such a thing could be seen as God-like to our human existance.
Old June 5th, 2011 (06:48 PM).
It seems you've misplaced your intellect.
Crystal Tier

Now... to change the subject back to what I was talking about...
What do you guys think about Time and Space though? Do you guys suspect that maybe in a different universe there lies a God of some kind? a being with the abilities to warp time? Such a thing could be seen as God-like to our human existance.
I'm personally into string theory. Which means that outside our universe are parallel universes with ALL possibilities and ALL outcomes with ALL possible paths and ALL possible beginnings and endings. [This means there's a universe somewhere out there where a cupcake can suddenly pop into your hand at random]

Of course, it's just a theory. But I believe it's a good concept.

No, NO, don't do that! Don't rupture the space-time continuu--

Bad black hole! Bad Schwarzschild!
Old June 6th, 2011 (06:41 AM).
くら くら?
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by AdvancedK47:
[This means there's a universe somewhere out there where a cupcake can suddenly pop into your hand at random]
Does that also mean that there is a universe where you can GROW food such as pizza and Ice-cream? Bacon tree anyone?
Old June 6th, 2011 (02:58 PM).
8377 | Scorpaeniform

Well thanks for making me feel bad, you know, because I said exactly that.
If you did post properly you would've seen that:

Next time, take your time to post please...
I put the religion as an "or" because I have met Atheists that consider it that way.
I never said Atheism was specifically the rejection of religion (which you are right about, it's not always.)

I never provided any examples you silly :p
This was merely meant to be a sophisticated talk, not a college essay.
There is a difference between speaking from wisdom and from fact.
And i did ask to take your time to respond to me because I wanted us all to think, not to post quickly.

And about the world flat and all that,
My misconceptions are noted, as I did not know that. Hence, the reason I posted! A-ha!
I didn't take my time to post because I didn't have the time then and I honestly don't really feel like you grasp the concept anyway. Please don't be as impetuous to say that I chose to do this unconcerned. I tried to point out flaws in your argument so that you could go back and revise them. However, you haven't done so (by picking new examples, etc.), so I'll assume you don't have an alternate argument or don't care.

Firstly, I was addressing the fact that you did put or in your sentence. I was not debating that your entire viewpoint was wrong, however the or clause adds unnecessary (and incorrect details). Your rebuttal only omits your transgression and propagandizes out of context. It's like saying "let's end global warming and kill all the animals in the world," having a response saying "no, that's bad for the world's ecosystem," and responding "nuh uh, I said let's end global warming and this is why that's good: ..." You can't just pretend you never said it.

An example of a religious atheist would be a new-age Buddhist or Hindu.

Secondly, if this is a discourse, you must use examples to back your claims. Since your claims were brought in using metaphor of relation, if your related topics aren't true, then your claim can't be valid either. It's not speaking from "wisdom" if your claims are false. It's like saying "this food tastes like chicken. I also have never tasted chicken."

Um, and no... You weren't using the ideas as misconceptions for your argument. You yourself were misconceived and used these misconceived ideas to attempt to fortify your argument. You presented them as true, not misconceived.

Of course, none of this addresses the matter at hand. I'm just suggesting that you yourself put a bit more thought into your statements and state only what you know for the rest of the debate.

"I want to tear myself from this place, from this reality, rise up like a cloud and float away, melt into this humid summer night and dissolve somewhere far, over the hills. But I am here, my legs blocks of concrete, my lungs empty of air, my throat burning. There will be no floating away."

Khaled Hosseini

Old June 7th, 2011 (09:00 AM).
Eternity.

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Gymnotide:
I didn't take my time to post because I didn't have the time then and I honestly don't really feel like you grasp the concept anyway. Please don't be as impetuous to say that I chose to do this unconcerned. I tried to point out flaws in your argument so that you could go back and revise them. However, you haven't done so (by picking new examples, etc.), so I'll assume you don't have an alternate argument or don't care.

Firstly, I was addressing the fact that you did put or in your sentence. I was not debating that your entire viewpoint was wrong, however the or clause adds unnecessary (and incorrect details). Your rebuttal only omits your transgression and propagandizes out of context. It's like saying "let's end global warming and kill all the animals in the world," having a response saying "no, that's bad for the world's ecosystem," and responding "nuh uh, I said let's end global warming and this is why that's good: ..." You can't just pretend you never said it.

An example of a religious atheist would be a new-age Buddhist or Hindu.

Secondly, if this is a discourse, you must use examples to back your claims. Since your claims were brought in using metaphor of relation, if your related topics aren't true, then your claim can't be valid either. It's not speaking from "wisdom" if your claims are false. It's like saying "this food tastes like chicken. I also have never tasted chicken."

Um, and no... You weren't using the ideas as misconceptions for your argument. You yourself were misconceived and used these misconceived ideas to attempt to fortify your argument. You presented them as true, not misconceived.

Of course, none of this addresses the matter at hand. I'm just suggesting that you yourself put a bit more thought into your statements and state only what you know for the rest of the debate.
a·the·ist
someone who denies the existence of god.
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn Source
Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

Yep, seems an atheist officially is someone who denies God. But, I'm sure he meant the popular belief that atheists deny religion. And how can you be Hindu-Atheist?

also, seems its on the brink of a flame war.
Time for a change of subject!

I'm curious, do all of you believe in evolution, and/or the big bang theory/the big bang collapse? Or whatever its called? Or do you have some other theory?

Oh yes:

Quote originally posted by NurseBarbra:
Does that also mean that there is a universe where you can GROW food such as pizza and Ice-cream? Bacon tree anyone?
Bacon tree ftw!!!
Old June 7th, 2011 (09:17 AM).
くら くら?
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by FrostPheonix:
a·the·ist

Yep, seems an atheist officially is someone who denies God. But, I'm sure he meant the popular belief that atheists deny religion. And how can you be Hindu-Atheist?
Once again:
Quote:
Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist. Atheism is contrasted with theism,which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.
I'm curious, do all of you believe in evolution, and/or the big bang theory/the big bang collapse? Or whatever its called? Or do you have some other theory?
And yes I believe in evolution, aswell as the possible Big Rip/Freeze/Crunch.
I also like the multiverse theory, and I personally think "What if our universe was created by two other universes that collided off each other?"

Man I love evolution.... Nature FTW
Old June 7th, 2011 (03:15 PM).
I doubt Pokemon will be a hit

a·the·ist

Yep, seems an atheist officially is someone who denies God.
Saw this, just came to say: Your sources say the following:
Princeton WorldNet: someone who does not believe in the existence of a god
Dictionary.com: a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
Answers.com (multiple): One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods, non-believer, someone who denies the existence of a god
Mirriam-Webster: one who believes that there is no deity
The Free Dictionary: One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods

So apparently, the definition that you provided "someone who denies the existence of god" is of your own creation, as each of your sources also included that it means "disbelieves" or "does not believe". The word "deny" is extremely biased when used by itself, as it implies that a god does exist, a claim for which there is no evidence.

Additionally, an atheist doesn't just not believe in God (Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah, each is the same), but we also do not believe in any other gods. Don't try to make your god more special by making it sound as if yours is the only one we don't believe in.

In fact, look at it this way: The only difference between my religious beliefs and yours is that I happen to believe in one less god that you do. (Paraphrased quote from someone, not exactly sure who)
Old June 8th, 2011 (10:33 AM).
Epic Adventurer

Nature: Naive
I don't know if I'll join this club, but I'd like to answer the topics anyways if that's ok.

What are your opinions on subjects such as same-sex marriage, abortion, the death penalty, and so on? Why?
Same Sex marriage:
Personally, I see homosexuality as ignoring the laws of nature, to ignore the way things are supposed to be.
But I know a homo-sexual & told her I'd support her.
That's what friends are supposed to do, to support their buddies.
I probaly sounded conterdicting, but no one is perfect...

Abortion:
It's MURDER, no matter what stage of preganty it is.
If you don't want a baby, don't do anything to have one in the first place.
Prevention is superior to the cure.

Death penalty:
If it's someone like Bin Laden or Adolf Hitler, yes.
& I think part of why we have so many criminals is because the law isn't severe enough...
But if the law does become more severe, I do hope they do a better job of telling the guilty from the innocent.

Why are your beliefs the way they are?

I have been raised in a Christian home.

Do you believe in any form of life after death?

Yes, I belive in Heaven & Hell.
I also belive I am covered by the blood of Jesus & therefore will go to Heaven after I die.

Do you believe in aliens?

In a universe as MASSIVE as ours, I have a hard time beliving that we are the only intelligent life out there...

Does your family and friends know about your faith? If no, why not?

My family knows & if I have any friends on-line that doesn't know, that's because they never asked about my spiritual viewpoint.

Do you think separation of church and state is different from freedom of religion?

Yes.
If people are allowed to practice their belifs at school, I expect the same for Christians.
But we live in a world that seems to HATE christians for any/no reasons & I have read stories of which the Muslims are allowed to wear their special headgear in school, (I don't remember what they are called...)
but they've tried to ban a christian girl from wearing her silver promise ring, "because it can be harmful".
How can a little ring be harmful?

If God does exist, what do you think it would be like?

For those who belives in God, they will find healing, strength & peace.

What are your family's general religious beliefs?

I can't say for the rest of my family, but here's how I see God:

He brings peace, not worry,
He gives strength, not weakness,
He gives wealth, not poorness,
He gives salavtion, not damnation,
He gives healing, not illness.

If any of you have questions regarding God, please PM me.
I can't promise all the answers, for I'm only human, but I'll do my best to straighten things out.
For more info, PM me please!
Old June 9th, 2011 (02:30 PM).
Debbie Downer

I'm back. It was my birthday yesterday. lol

Quote:
"let's end global warming and kill all the animals in the world," having a response saying "no, that's bad for the world's ecosystem," and responding "nuh uh, I said let's end global warming and this is why that's good: ..." You can't just pretend you never said it.
Those are two completely different things that you're talking about.
What I had stated included an OR, not an AND.
OR is a difference, and AND is a connection that includes both.

Quote:
Atheism is an absent belief in a deity or religion
same as....
Atheism is an absent belief in a religion
I simply put an OR to combine the sentence, but with seperating the idea that there is a difference between them.

I never denied anything Gymnotide.
In fact, what I said never even mentioned Columbus, what you originally replied to me was a wild tangent off of what I said.
I simply said through obvious everyday knowledge that:

Quote:
The world was once thought of as flat-
-WHICH IT WAS BY SOME PEOPLE. I never said Columbus knew it was round or that EVERYONE thought it was flat. The information about Columbus wasn't essential at all with what I was talking about, and it doesn't need to be added to my post to make it valid.

When I said the Big Bang Theory was false by the scientific community that founded it, you stated additional information about it and then claimed I was false. It doesn't mean I was wrong.

Telling me to ground my examples is an attempt to rub information in your face so you can trust me. Lets see you ground your examples? I work at a Bookstore, I can assuredly find multiple examples to prove that The Big Bang Theory was indeed posed into speculation about being invalid. It is a theory, you know, It doesn't mean it's been proven real anyway.

I don't need to provide an example for what I had said anymore than you would. If someone I had said was wrong, I would have no problem with you telling me so, but undermining my grammar and language to make me look like a fool is completely rude. I don't need to prove it, and I didn't go into detail to the point that I needed to prove it. I didn't impetuously say that I thought you didn't care. You have said so to me however. I did not have flaws in my "argument", be an argument as it may. In any case, I'm sure I am most assuredly banned from all of Landorus' clubs. : P
Old June 9th, 2011 (03:53 PM).
8377 | Scorpaeniform

I'm back. It was my birthday yesterday. lol

Those are two completely different things that you're talking about.
What I had stated included an OR, not an AND.
OR is a difference, and AND is a connection that includes both.

same as....
Atheism is an absent belief in a religion
I simply put an OR to combine the sentence, but with seperating the idea that there is a difference between them.

I never denied anything Gymnotide.
In fact, what I said never even mentioned Columbus, what you originally replied to me was a wild tangent off of what I said.
I simply said through obvious everyday knowledge that:

-WHICH IT WAS BY SOME PEOPLE. I never said Columbus knew it was round or that EVERYONE thought it was flat. The information about Columbus wasn't essential at all with what I was talking about, and it doesn't need to be added to my post to make it valid.

When I said the Big Bang Theory was false by the scientific community that founded it, you stated additional information about it and then claimed I was false. It doesn't mean I was wrong.

Telling me to ground my examples is an attempt to rub information in your face so you can trust me. Lets see you ground your examples? I work at a Bookstore, I can assuredly find multiple examples to prove that The Big Bang Theory was indeed posed into speculation about being invalid. It is a theory, you know, It doesn't mean it's been proven real anyway.

I don't need to provide an example for what I had said anymore than you would. If someone I had said was wrong, I would have no problem with you telling me so, but undermining my grammar and language to make me look like a fool is completely rude. I don't need to prove it, and I didn't go into detail to the point that I needed to prove it. I didn't impetuously say that I thought you didn't care. You have said so to me however. I did not have flaws in my "argument", be an argument as it may. In any case, I'm sure I am most assuredly banned from all of Landorus' clubs. : P
Since this is getting off-topic:

I took this discussion to PM.
Don't respond to it in this thread anymore.

Khaled Hosseini

Old June 10th, 2011 (12:18 AM).
Eternity.

Quote originally posted by HarrisonH:
Saw this, just came to say: Your sources say the following:
Princeton WorldNet: someone who does not believe in the existence of a god
Dictionary.com: a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
Answers.com (multiple): One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods, non-believer, someone who denies the existence of a god
Mirriam-Webster: one who believes that there is no deity
The Free Dictionary: One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods

So apparently, the definition that you provided "someone who denies the existence of god" is of your own creation, as each of your sources also included that it means "disbelieves" or "does not believe". The word "deny" is extremely biased when used by itself, as it implies that a god does exist, a claim for which there is no evidence.

Additionally, an atheist doesn't just not believe in God (Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah, each is the same), but we also do not believe in any other gods. Don't try to make your god more special by making it sound as if yours is the only one we don't believe in.

In fact, look at it this way: The only difference between my religious beliefs and yours is that I happen to believe in one less god that you do. (Paraphrased quote from someone, not exactly sure who)

Mehehe, i didnt, actually, make it up. I just copy pasted off google:
Spoiler:

Ah, well, seems google was lying to me about the definition.

I also never tried to make 'my God' special. Despite the fact that I beleive he is, in fact, special, I just capitalized it. Better if I wrote this?:

Quote:
Yep, seems an atheist officially is someone who denies God any god or gods.
As for the multiuniverse theory nurse barbra mentioned, how do you think these came into existence?

Also, can someone please answer my question on how hindu-atheist works? forgot who, but someone mentioned it on a previous post. From what I know, it can't work.
Old June 10th, 2011 (12:52 AM). Edited June 10th, 2011 by Gymnotide.
8377 | Scorpaeniform

Also, can someone please answer my question on how hindu-atheist works? forgot who, but someone mentioned it on a previous post. From what I know, it can't work.
Sorry. I thought I addressed this, but I guess I didn't :S

Hinduism and Buddhism are two of the more liberal religions out there. While they have deities associated with them freely, some individuals have chosen to omit them from their faith. It's a bit hard for me to explain, but if you know how either of these religions work, it's clearer how the presence of god isn't necessary in worship. Half of it is spirituality, half is philosophy. However, unlike other philosophies, these hold things sacred.

Certain sects (like Jainism) believe that the material world can't come from a "god" or "gods," whom they believe are immaterial (because they can't observe them). Rather, the fate of the world is completely bound to the soul, both of the individual and the collective. The soul is intended to arbitrate itself (thereby ruling out any need for a deity or deities to do so) and accrues during its lifetime a pool of karma through actions. If a soul transcends through its actions, the soul then reaches a state of "godhood," but (is not a god and) cannot exert any force on the world. Once all the souls in the world reach a point of enlightenment (a state of no karma, not good karma), the universe is more or less complete. In this way, the soul is divine, rather than a deity that would have otherwise created it.

Buddhism, which is a distant offshoot of Hinduism, believes in a similar fashion. Each soul is bound to the mortal plane by its own existence and the goal of life is to meditate into a state of higher wisdom. Upon awakening in this state, a soul can transcend the cycle of rebirth (rebirth is a very, very bad thing that all souls must endure!) and reach Nirvana. In this way, the thought is divine, rather than a deity that would have otherwise created it. The Buddha is not regarded as god, but merely a paragon. Some Buddhists, however, are theistic and believe that gods exist--however, these gods are subject to the same judgment as all the other souls. The vast majority of Buddhists are atheists, though.

Carvaka is the third of the three large atheist factions related to Hinduism. This one is least similar out of the three. Rather than any preset goal to attain, life is merely as it is. It is generated of its own accord and ends definitively (there is no rebirth, no afterlife, no punishment, no judgment, etc.). Anything of the world is created in the way that it is by its own nature. If it can be, then it is--trying to understand the "why" and "how" of the world is irrelevant. In that, the "goal" of life is then to enjoy what the world has to offer, live to the fullest, be carefree and grateful for the ability to sense. In this way, life itself is divine, rather than a deity that would have otherwise created it.

If you don't get what I mean, here's a Wikipedia article to get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism_in_Hinduism Just click around.

edit I've also done some more research and I've stumbled upon these few things:

Raelism (diaeresis on the e; Ra-EL-is-um) is an atheistic religion that believes that all god-like figures in the past (the Elohim), i.e. Jesus, the Christian God, angels, etc., were extraterrestrial messengers that came to Earth. These extraterrestrials were responsible for shaping the world as we know it and some still watch over the planet. Raelians believe that the world has fallen from the expectations of their creators; they aim to pacify the world in an attempt to appease the Elohim and be welcomed into their higher society. Many Rael support human cloning.

Unitarian Universalism is a sect of Christianity that is not limited by belief or practice. Its followers unite under the desire for spiritual growth, rather than due to a common belief in a deity. While many UUists are theistic and believe in the Christian God, there are atheistic UUists who practice religious code in the same way as other Christians. Other forms of Liberal Christianity do not limit themselves to the belief of God and seek morality, equality, peace, etc.

edit2 I'd also like to mention something that I'd learned a good year back. Paganism, chiefly that of the Ancient Greeks (that I know the best of), traditionally followed polytheistic rules by definition. However, it's also important to note that their deities probably didn't / don't exist. For example, most of the Greek deities embody things that aren't particularly godlike, but are personified according to metaphor. Ares, for example, is the god of war and rage. He may be given a figure every now and then, but a lot of his reference is that he IS rage. Strife and Discord arise when there is strife and discord. Zeus is rain. Poseidon is an earthquake. Athena is wisdom and battle technique. It's very possible that they worshiped the metaphors / emotions that we now interpret as "gods".
  • irreligion (n.) the absence of, indifference towards, or hostility towards religion.
  • agnosticism (n.) the belief that any information about the existence of god is liable to skepticism; a god or gods cannot be truly proven to exist.
  • ignosticism (n.) the philosophy that all other philosophies (agnosticism chiefly) assume too much about a god or gods and pass judgment too quickly based on a generalized definition of god. Ignostics believe that the term "God" or "god" is fundamentally meaningless; since there is no coherent definition for "god," it must be defined by each individual before proving or disproving the existence of such a being.
  • theism (n.) the belief that at least one deity exists.
  • atheism (n.) the disbelief in the existence of a deity or deities. Disbelief is not a belief nor an anti-belief.
  • belief (n.) the state of holding a proposition or premise (both terms in psychology / logic) as true. A proposition is always either true or false. Therefore, you don't believe in a religion--you follow a religion. You believe in the ideas the religion entails.

Khaled Hosseini

Old June 12th, 2011 (06:10 PM).
Legendary Twilight Master

Location: Used to be on Planet Kenohra; before it vanished for good...
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to World King Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to World King Send a message via Yahoo to World King Send a message via Skype™ to World King
Finally; a place for me! So, if no one minds (I know no one does), I'll join up.

I'm an Atheist, of course, but the subject of being an Atheist follower of a relligion sounds intriguing... o,o

Leon K. Markowitz

Darkness is strength; symbolizes power
Light is wisdom; represents knowledge
Their combined divinity shall create
The sacred magnificence of Twilight
(Friend Code for Black2)

Last Kingston Alive

Lonely, cold-hearted Twilight Master
On a lifetime journey to fulfill my destiny

To reshape this forgotten, pitiful world
and restore the utopic balance it has long lost
Old June 13th, 2011 (08:38 AM).
8377 | Scorpaeniform

Quote originally posted by World King:
Finally; a place for me! So, if no one minds (I know no one does), I'll join up.

I'm an Atheist, of course, but the subject of being an Atheist follower of a relligion sounds intriguing... o,o
Well, if you think about how many gods modern monotheists reject from polytheistic religions, it's not hard to believe that atheistic religions can reject that last one that monotheists follow. For the same reason monotheists don't believe in the hundreds of gods from other pantheons, atheists don't believe in the one of monotheism.

Khaled Hosseini

Old June 15th, 2011 (10:36 PM).

Mehehe, i didnt, actually, make it up. I just copy pasted off google:
Spoiler:

Ah, well, seems google was lying to me about the definition.

I also never tried to make 'my God' special. Despite the fact that I beleive he is, in fact, special, I just capitalized it. Better if I wrote this?:

Ah, my bad. Odd that Google is listing that as the source when that exact definition appears nowhere on that page...

Anyways, no, that is not better. I do not deny anything. I simply do not believe in any gods. Deny gives the impression that the existence of a god or any gods is true, which is completely unsupported by any evidence so far.

Is anyone else active with secular activism? I posted previously something that I had done (as well as two other people I know), and I'm also planning on starting a group with the Secular Student Alliance at my college this upcoming year.
Old June 15th, 2011 (10:49 PM).
8377 | Scorpaeniform

Ah, my bad. Odd that Google is listing that as the source when that exact definition appears nowhere on that page...

Anyways, no, that is not better. I do not deny anything. I simply do not believe in any gods. Deny gives the impression that the existence of a god or any gods is true, which is completely unsupported by any evidence so far.
Be that as it may, "deny" is used rather judiciously here. It's a matter of strict semantics--I understand the case you are trying to make, but "to refuse to believe" and "to reject" are also two of the definitions, slurred among "to contradict," "to refuse," and "to disavow." Deny is technically a correct word to use (though perhaps not the correctest).

I'd even file a case where every non-scientific dictionary gets the definition of "evolution" wrong, but that's for a different thread.

Khaled Hosseini

Old June 16th, 2011 (07:01 AM).
くら くら?
Crystal Tier

As for the multiuniverse theory nurse barbra mentioned, how do you think these came into existence?
I believe the "Big bang", Being two colliding "forces", was actually formed by 2 other universes that collide off eachother, and ours could have helped form 2 other universes. I also believe that dimentions are formed the same way~
Old June 17th, 2011 (12:27 AM).
Eternity.

Is anyone else active with secular activism? I posted previously something that I had done (as well as two other people I know), and I'm also planning on starting a group with the Secular Student Alliance at my college this upcoming year.

I still don't get how I made my God special, but I'll just leave it at that.

Also, I find it good that people get to make their own "atheistic club", and that schools are forced to allow them. Let people to get their say. Let them get together and talk about what they beleive.

Quote originally posted by NurseBarbra:
I believe the "Big bang", Being two colliding "forces", was actually formed by 2 other universes that collide off eachother, and ours could have helped form 2 other universes. I also believe that dimentions are formed the same way~
Well, then how did the two colliding forces come into being? What would be, in your opinion, the beginning of all dimensions?
Old June 17th, 2011 (06:59 AM).
くら くら?
Crystal Tier

Well, then how did the two colliding forces come into being? What would be, in your opinion, the beginning of all dimensions?
I meant that the collision or end of one or more universes are the begining of the next. I my opinion, The universe only exists because we exist. If senient life didn't exist, the universe would just continue to "exist" without a purpose.

I also suppose that the universe is on an endless repeat cycle. The big bang of our universe being the result of the big crunch of the previous cycle. This could be where Deja Vu comes from...
Old June 17th, 2011 (09:27 AM).
8377 | Scorpaeniform

The common theory for the creation of the Universe is the spontaneous fission of matter and antimatter. When this happens, the mass of the antimatter cancels out any mass of matter, obeying the Conservation of Mass. In this, it's feasible that even the split of one sub-sub-sub-(and so on)-subatomic particle could generate a cascade that eventually formed the four "fundamental" particles, and from those, nucleons, and from those, atoms.

Khaled Hosseini

Old June 17th, 2011 (11:01 AM).

Quote originally posted by Gymnotide:
Be that as it may, "deny" is used rather judiciously here. It's a matter of strict semantics--I understand the case you are trying to make, but "to refuse to believe" and "to reject" are also two of the definitions, slurred among "to contradict," "to refuse," and "to disavow." Deny is technically a correct word to use (though perhaps not the correctest).

I'd even file a case where every non-scientific dictionary gets the definition of "evolution" wrong, but that's for a different thread.
While technically correct, I dislike the word "deny" as all of my experiences with it within this context is used by the opposition with a smug sense of superiority, as if we are "denying the facts".

Also, I find it good that people get to make their own "atheistic club", and that schools are forced to allow them. Let people to get their say. Let them get together and talk about what they beleive.
What do you think about people fighting to get public schools to remain secular? By this I mean, fighting against invocations at commencement ceremonies, having prayer banners hung by the school removed, etc.

The cool thing about being an atheist/scientific is that we're not afraid to say "We don't know". We have plenty of scientific hypotheses relating to how the universe started, but no current way to say that one is absolutely correct or incorrect.

Bringing some sort of a higher power into the equation doesn't solve anything, as the question then becomes "Where did the universe higher power come from?" If you answer "It always existed", why can't that same answer be applied to the universe? Gods answer no questions, they only raise more.
Old June 21st, 2011 (02:54 AM).
Eternity.

What do you think about people fighting to get public schools to remain secular? By this I mean, fighting against invocations at commencement ceremonies, having prayer banners hung by the school removed, etc.
I'd say that you should calm down. A little prayer won't hurt anyone, and the only thing I'd say you might get worked up about is when they try converting you to a religion or stuff like that.

The cool thing about being an atheist/scientific is that we're not afraid to say "We don't know". We have plenty of scientific hypotheses relating to how the universe started, but no current way to say that one is absolutely correct or incorrect.

Bringing some sort of a higher power into the equation doesn't solve anything, as the question then becomes "Where did the universe higher power come from?" If you answer "It always existed", why can't that same answer be applied to the universe? Gods answer no questions, they only raise more.
I had this wonderful answer written out, but then I exited the page and now I forgot it .
What I'd say for now is that, putting a 'higher power' into the world answers more questions than saying that the universe always existed. If God/gods is a higher power, he would be outside time and therefore could exist eternally. The universe is different, there would be proof that it existed for ever, if it did. At least, that's what I gather from my knowledge.
Lol, that doesn't sound in the least convincing, but that's all I can think of atm.

Also, see this:

World's oceans in 'shocking' decline-BBC

Kinda random, but what do you guys think? What might happen if we die out?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links