• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Pokémon ShinyGem

ConCept

Foreigner Productions
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2011
Hey there. Some of you may already know me, either by this account or my previous one, Chronic; or as "the guy who goes to the Create-a-Pokémon Events to eat all the chips"...

Since the times when I still was Chronic, I've been trying to pull out this game... But, for a reason or another (incorrect platform, failed by the programmer team, and more), I haven't been able to begin. I've proposed this project at least four times now, each time adding features and rechecking the mechanics for the game...

First "Pokémon Cobalt & Copper", later "Pokémon Azurite & Copper", ROM Hacks; then only "Pokémon Azurite", standalone game in RMXP...

Now, presenting: "Pokémon ShinyGem".

Technical Data

Name: Pokémon ShinyGem
Platform: PC

Developer: Foreigner Productions
Developer Website: Pending

Credits: None at the moment.​

About the Game

Spoiler:

Features:

Spoiler:

Pokémon

Spoiler:

Story and Characters

Spoiler:

Game Media

Spoiler:

Current Progress

Spoiler:

Support the Project

Spoiler:

Disclamer

This game is free. Foreigner Productions produces this game for enjoyment and for the sake of art exclusively. No economic interest is pursued by Foreigner Productions nor any of it's members.

Unless expressely stated beforehand, all work regarding this project not produced by Foreigner Productions will be given credit in the game credits only. No claims are regarded if not requested beforehand.

Pokémon is a trademark from Nintendo and Game Freak. Foreigner Productions does not own Pokémon nor related intellectual property.​

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Hm, sounds like an interesting concept. I commend you for developing it in java, too-- that's quite an undertaking and has the potential to be very successful.

However, there's a couple of problems: this seems incredibly ambitious, especially considering this is a game made from scratch. Also, there seems little evidence of actual progress. The presentation is very nice and professional-looking, but the lack of any media at all, not to mention a very vague storyline, doesn't exactly inspire confidence that this will be completed.

Also the name could be a little more memorable.

Nevertheless, I hope to see more!

ConCept

Foreigner Productions
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2011
Thanks for the comment.

We're actually conscious of both the magnitude of the project, which isn't actually small stuff, and I don't believe we'll be able to handle all by ourselves at mid or long term (we're basically three people in this); and the lack of media, which is limited mostly by what the engine is able to output right now, which, at the moment, is limited to code lines, no graphics nor anything fancy.

And, good you've mentioned it. I was actually too vague with the details this time... I'll be presenting some extension to the storyline part soon. But, right now, we're more focused on start rendering graphics with the engine to start adding media.

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2011
I'm pretty good at drawing and would love if you let me draw they pokes for this :D if you want a sample of my work search "xxxGoblinKingxxx" on deviant art and look at "The Will of Fire" the other two pics I have up are absolute crap and I'm taking them down soon >.<

ConCept

Foreigner Productions
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2011
What I refered to when I said I don't think we'll be able to handle all by ourselves was the fact that we're all programmers in the team. The only one doing graphics is me and, being absolutely sincere, I suck at the pixel art in most ocassions (my appearances in the Create-a-Pokémon Events are normally planned with months of anticipation), and I'm running various projects simultaneously, not only this one. Therefore, we would end up stuck by both graphics and music without help in these specific areas.

I must agree chrome features are for the nice touch, and we're conscious of it. The main objective now for the team is to assemble the battle engine and the overworld engine. The remaining details will be developed once these two segments are operational. That's the overall development plan.

I'm pretty good at drawing and would love if you let me draw they pokes for this :D if you want a sample of my work search "xxxGoblinKingxxx" on deviant art and look at "The Will of Fire" the other two pics I have up are absolute crap and I'm taking them down soon >.<

I'll be checking your portfolio when I can. Thanks for the support, by the way.

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2011
Not really a portfolio :/ it's just one pic if you need more I've been working on some and I can scan them ASAP

Desukān

Coffin Pokémon
Years
This seems like a really nice project (:
I love all of the ideas and whatnot, tee hee!
I would love to play this :)

~Lani

ConCept

Foreigner Productions
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2011
Ok, it's been a while now (noticed things 'round here moved a little bit)... Anyway, we're now solving the map editor for the custom engine. Not getting much into details right now, but it will allow us to produce the very first graphical output for the game.

As for the story, compelling to previous replies, it was indeed too vague. Now, there is not a that great plot behind the story because we considered to try an "old school method" and focus on the gameplay more than on the story, like in the very first original games from the Pokémon saga. However, there is a story, which I'll be trying to describe on this post, along with some details for the "restated universe".

Spoiler:

I hope this little extension gives a wider glimpse at out shot at the storyline section of the project. It is not a hero-oriented storyline pattern, where some kid saves the world from apocalypsis or 10,000 years of darkness, but rather a retaken concept for those who enjoy simple objectives and creating their own adventure rather than following a fixed path all game long. We attempt to make the essence of ShinyGem the very same as what made the original games famous: a vast world, with tons to do, and only one mission: to become the greatest Trainer of all times.

Kubone

~ ku ku ku boneeee *
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 24, 2023
This looks cool, I'll be exited for your media.

Back