The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:37 PM
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

Nature: Jolly

Advertise here
I love the 1st gen, but I didn't like the way they described battles. "I'm going to make my Pokemon fight so it can get stronger!" I know why animal cruelty groups were suspicious. Now Pokemon battles are more friendly, sporty, and not against the Pokemon's will, but in the 1st gen, it just seemed cruel from the way they were talking about it.

Yay my username is accurate now! Also holy crap I just realized Unbeatable was misspelled for the longest time! Fixed. xp

Times I've been ninja'd: 17
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Old June 20th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Pokemon Game Fan
Elite Trainer

Nature: Calm
Really? These animal-rights people make such a fuss over everything.
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:47 AM
Lashh
Pokémon Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Always getting easily defeated by Brock when I first challenged him in Pokemon Yellow. Overall, the thing that annoyed me the most in this generation of games was the fact that Poke Balls could miss, and often would so in the Safari Zone. Lost opportunities on rare Pokemon sure so suck, I'll tell ya.
Another thing that annoyed me in RBY was going through the Sea Foam Islands for the first time- so confusing the first time around, haha.

Credit for the theme goes to Hybrid Trainer

anyways, check out my fanfic, Legends of Kanto
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=256341
first volume completed, chapter releases on the way!
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
TheNinKid
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
I'm glad other people agree that they had trouble with Brock like i did in Yellow. I have to admit that was the most annoying part for me, but i thought it was just because i was young and it was my first ever Pokemon game.

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.

Pokemon Soul Silver Friend Code:
2236-3057-9986

Pokemon White Friend Code:
0905-2183-6574

Mychael's PokePet

Cadet the level 51 Lucario!
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:30 AM
fyrkant
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Lax
Diglett's cave. I go "OH GOD NOT THIS AGAIN" every single time I reach that point... :-P
Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:26 AM
Distorted Personality
Booted out - don't be like me!

Waking up on time and not getting a pikachu.

Missing out on a Mew because I was too eager to battle pokemanz.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:26 AM
Hassan_Abdillah
Wayfarer

Location: South Asia, but then again a wayfarer is not very earthbound
Nature: Docile
The lack of a decent psychic pokemon.

Also, Sabrina's psychic gym. It always gets me confused. Same thing with team rocket buildings...teleporting tiles :/

Quote:
I'm glad other people agree that they had trouble with Brock like i did in Yellow. I have to admit that was the most annoying part for me, but i thought it was just because i was young and it was my first ever Pokemon game.

I usually catch a nidoran early in the game if I can afford it, and it learns double kick pretty soon. And fighting pwns rock-type.

Asked the Conservative (Republican): “Why don’t you assimilate into our culture?”
I said: “Because your culture demands assimilation”.

Said the Democrat: “The majority must rule.”
I said: “But what will rule the majority?”

Said the Neo-Conservative: “I believe we are the superior Civilization”.
I said: “That's what makes you an inferior Civilization”.

Said the Pragmatist: "Always choose the lesser of two evils".
I said: "Then your choices will always be evil".
Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Hassan_Abdillah
Wayfarer

Location: South Asia, but then again a wayfarer is not very earthbound
Nature: Docile
Quote:
You mean that Alakazam, Starmie, Slowbro, Mew and Mewtwo were anything but decent in RBY?
As for mewtwo, you get it much later in the game.

As for mew, I don't know how to get it.

As for Alakazam...I play on emulator so trading is impossible.

Ive never tried Starmie or Slowbro. I looked up their stats now from pokemon marriland pokedex and turns out both of them have decent stats. Guess I kinda missed out.

And yeah, to me decent mean strong (offense-wise).

Asked the Conservative (Republican): “Why don’t you assimilate into our culture?”
I said: “Because your culture demands assimilation”.

Said the Democrat: “The majority must rule.”
I said: “But what will rule the majority?”

Said the Neo-Conservative: “I believe we are the superior Civilization”.
I said: “That's what makes you an inferior Civilization”.

Said the Pragmatist: "Always choose the lesser of two evils".
I said: "Then your choices will always be evil".
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:05 PM
DiscoGlacier
Beginning Trainer

When I first played it, the boulder puzzle in Seafoam Island gave me the most trouble. I remember having to ask my brother's friend for help getting past that part.

Rock Tunnel was pretty hard without Flash, but still manageable with memorization, patience, and careful attention to graphics and sound.

Nowadays, the only part that really bothers me the the size of Mt. Moon. At least Rock Tunnel was narrow and linear, while the other dungeons had unique variations. Mt. Moon, on the other hand, had so much empty space, I'd have to fend off many wild Pokemon just to get from one wall to the other.
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:07 AM
GXS
<---Following Red ;P

any part where i had to use flash, it seemed sooo uneccecary to me, but thats just my opinion lol

~Credit To Impo For The Beautiful Trainer Card~
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:09 PM
Citizen51
Beginning Trainer

The thing I hated the most about R/B/Y was the item system and not being able to hold more than 20 items was ridiculous I can't tell you how many times I would be in a cave or rocket base and have to leave to go empty my backpack in the nearest pokemon center. Even when I replayed Red last week, I couldn't store enough items in my PC.

Another thing I hated about Gen 1 was how necessary a guide was just do know what a particular move or item did. Sure you could trial and error, but how do I know for sure that I want to delete an old move for this new one when I don't know what this new one is. And this was before wikis or even gamefaqs.com and the only source of this knowledge was printed guides, but even then they were riddled with errors. I owned 3 different guides for R/B and a fourth for Yellow, just so I could be sure what was right.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
竜の子
Avy made by Trainer Touko

Nature: Brave
The ponly things I hater about RBY are

limited item capacibilty

and

pressing down on the mart would be 99 items and not how much of that item you could afford

But i still love the games

Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:51 AM
Auditor
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
I only got Yellow, but the most annoying part I think would be fighting Brock with a Pikachu :L It was so difficult, and the shows don't help me at all. Inshow: "PIKACHU, ATTACK THE WATERSPOUTERS!" Ingame: "Doesn't effect ONIX..."
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
Frisky Arcanine
Jumpluff Hugger

So much hate for the Lavender theme, it was one of my favorites D:

I'm gonna have to say Victory Road - all those fricken encounters. And darkness. And worrying about finding/catching Moltres.. and the encounters. And the darkness. I still dread victory road in every game, but despite the ridiculous encounter rate in B/W it seemed watered down in comparison (no boulders!)
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:16 AM
WhoWhatWhere
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raichu1988 View Post
Most of the caves (Zubat and Geodude every couple seconds. Uh, no.), Lavender Town's tune (it kind of creeped me out as a kid), Rocket areas with the spinning and annoying confusion of mazes, the step counter in Safari Zone (because it took me a few tries to find the Warden's Teeth), and of course the Cycling Road where you try every way to avoid people and still end up failing.

Exactly all of this!! Especially caves even now i still hate them although its woobat and boldore attcking now!!
Old July 8th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Smitty.
Forget who you were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokefan41 View Post
Rock Tunnel, trying to get past Vermillion City, couldn't figure out how to get out of that place.
Agreed. Rock Tunnel was actually the abomination that caused many of my friends to give up on RBY all those years ago...

The glitches also ruined the games for me during my youth. All my friends would claim whatever Pokémon their name gave them through the MissingNo. Glitch and abuse their instant-sweeper whenever we battled.

Not joining in was a moment of pride I look back on to this day.
Old July 8th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Eagledelt
=)?

Damn, I hated Rock Tunnel and Silph Co. Horrible places >.<
Old July 8th, 2011, 02:20 PM
sure25
Open Agent (For Now)

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Yahoo to sure25
Mine was the cave. That part was so annoying cause of Pokemon came out all of the time.

Pearl FC:1806 7519 3037

Please help me hatch my egg!

Old July 8th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Alley Cat
Advanced Trainer

In Yellow, how you had to use Pikachu practically to defeat Brock, and his moves barely even affect the Rock/Ground. But I also disliked the layout of the Pokecenters greatly. Not to mention going through caves and how often pokemon appeared. I basically share the same frustrations as a lot of people who have already posted do.
Old July 8th, 2011, 03:50 PM
terminoob
Waffles.

Nature: Lonely
Safari Zone, Sabrina in Yellow, the limited item space, Pokemon Mansion (due to limited item space, I didn't grab the Escape Rope in the beginning of it and I got utterly lost in it after I found the key since I kept dropping through the sides and didn't know what statues to touch... I think I ended up restarting the game), Mt. Moon having the most ridiculous amount of ladders ever, Rock Tunnel, and that "Your Pokeball missed the Pokemon!" crap.
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:31 PM
WooperIsMyFave92
Beginning Trainer

*Not being able to run
*The fight against Brock in yellow version

One moment I was particularly frustrated (with Pokemon Red):

A wild Caterpie appeared!
Go Pidgey!
Pidgey used gust!
*Thud* ( Caterpie hangs on with half it's Hp left)
Caterpie uses string shot!
What!?!? It wasn't super effective!?!? -__-

were the type matchups different back then or something? lol.
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:26 PM
StarkePkMn
Master of The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Rocket Hideout. Spinning torture gave me headaches. And you spin SO SLOWLY.
That's for damn sure...

Back in the day I had no internet, I busted my ass finding the solution for that building, later found out you can walk the stairs to fourth floor, get a teleport, get it back, cross the hall, kill a guy, get a teleport, you're at boss. Oh and the first time I got it right, Gary mopped the floor with me with his OP Pokémon for the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooperIsMyFave92 View Post
A wild Caterpie appeared!
Go Pidgey!
Pidgey used gust!
*Thud* ( Caterpie hangs on with half it's Hp left)
Caterpie uses string shot!
What!?!? It wasn't super effective!?!? -__-

were the type matchups different back then or something? lol.
Gust in R/B/Y was a normal attack, Peck etc. were still Super Effective.

Last edited by StarkePkMn; July 8th, 2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:10 PM
WooperIsMyFave92
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkePkMn View Post
That's for damn sure...
Gust in R/B/Y was a normal attack, Peck etc. were still Super Effective.
Lol I wish gust was flying type back then, it really should have been. Another thing that always annoyed me was the flatness of each town. It never bothered me as a kid, but I recently revisited my Pokemon Red after pretty much completing Pokemon DIamond and I keep trying to walk behind buildings only to end up walking into them lol. In some cases, it just doesn't make sense haha.

Sizes of certain objects compared to the character also annoyed me. The best example is the size of the S.S. Anne compared to the main player. I still don't like it in Leaf Green.
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Cyndaquil312
I'm Back!

Nature: Brave
As a kid, I would say trying to get to the secret house in the Safari Zone to get surf. I'd keep going the wrong way or get sidetracked after seeing a pokemon i wanted.

now, i'd have to say the simplicity of the routes and towns. rt. 7 is nothing more but a patch of grass, and some of the other routes have a minimal challenge to it.

I agree with WooperIsMyFav92 when it comes to the sizes of certain things (SS. Anne some of the buildings, etc.)
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:27 PM
MantisboyN

I'd say battling Brock and Misty, I always chose Charmander and hated using psychics, water, and grass types. They were very difficult for me.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here