• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen V Mixed Tier Mono-Type] RMT please

Years
After a series of events in 2010(which involve the 4 following things, "Lag", "Brawl", "Rage", "Jigglypuff", I decided on making a Mono-Type Poison Team through my friends suggesting it, since whena snake bites you, you scream and that's pretty much what I did due to Jiggly. However from a mono-poison team, I decided to take on a role when I did use it, the role of a Team Rocket Grunt(seeing as how Team Rocket is my favorite team), though at first, I wasn't too sure on how to make a Mono Poison Team, I looked through each one and rounded it down to 6, I think I am aware now

TEAM PREVIEW
452.png
454.png
94.png
34.png
110.png
73.png

TEAM CONSTRUCTION

I decided on Nidoking first since he was going to be on the team regardless
034.gif

I knew Gengar was one of the stronger and faster Poison-types so I listed him, plus he has Levitate, meaning an auto immunity to Ground
094.gif

I needed a way around Psychic, and Only 2 pokemon could give me the immunity to Psychic that I needed, Drapion and Skunktank. I chose Drapion since I more aware on what he does
452.gif

Now I needed Defense, I figured Weezing for my Physical wall not to mention his ability Levitate gives him immunity to ground
110.gif

I was wondering who I could use for my Special Wall, but soon it was between Muk and Tentacruel. In the end, I decided on Tentacruel, with his wider movepool and higher speed(even though Muk does learn Shadow Sneak and Tentacruel learns no +1 Priority move
073.gif

Now I had a free space in my team and wasn't sure who to choose. Even with it's 4x weakness to Psychic, I decided Toxicroak would be a good option.
454.gif

I am aware of the "Wild Card" rule, but I haven't though of a good wild card yet, but I like this team how it is (but feel free to suggest a wild card)

TEAM ANALYSIS

LEAD
452.gif

DRAPIACID the Drapion @Black Sludge
Battle Armor
Careful Nature
EVs 252 HP/ 252 SP.D/ 4 Def

-Knock Off
-Earthquake
-Toxic Spikes
-Crunch

I figured that Drapion's immunity to Psychic will come in handy, plus a nice physical attack and defense stat. Still not sure If he'll be my lead(since making Leads is probably the hardest thing for me to do). But I like Drapion and have seen him in action, I'm sure he'll be useful.

PRIMARY PHYSICAL SWEEPER/REVENGE KILLER
454.gif

TOXICACID the Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Dry Skin
Adamant Nature
Evs
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

-Sucker Punch
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-Swords Dance

At first, Toxicroak's 4x weakness to Psychic made me look away from this pokemon, but after seeing him in action, made me reconsider, plus access to Sucker Punch made me love the Frog.
I'm not to certain if Toxicroak or Drapion should be my lead because it seems like it's a job both can do.

PRIMARY SPECIAL SWEEPER
094.gif

GENGACID the Gengar @ Focus Sash
Levatate
Timid Nature
EVs 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp

-Destiny Bond
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

I wanted to do something not used often with Gengar, that's where Destiny Bond falls into place, Gengar's low defenses makes it a prime pokemon to get OHKO'ed so a Focus Sash seems like the best option. But then there's the problem of Sandstorm and Hail, not to mention Stealth Rock, if that happens, then Gengar has to outspeed everything it can and if I know Gengar can't OHKO someone, I'll play a suicide tactic and Destiny Bond. If I get outsped, then I get outsped.

MIXED SWEEPER
034.gif

NIDOACID the Nidoking @Life Orb
Sheer Force
Naive Nature
EVs 40 Atk/252 SAtk/216 Spe

-Hone Claws
-Earthquake
-Blizzard
-Thunder

I figured that it's Special Attack stat needed a boost, so I gave it Earth Power and considering one of the Elemental Beams. Poison Jab's for a Physical STAB and Sucker Punch is to get one good hit against Psychics and any other pokemon that might OHKO me and that outspeeds me. I'm not too sure in using Blizzard/Thunder because of the low accuracy but when I'm writing this I remember Hone Claws boosts Attack and accuracy too, now I feel stupid. Blizzard and Earthquake covers what Fire Blast would've and Life Orb is for an extra boost.

PRIMARY PHYSICAL WALL
110.gif

WEEZACID the Weezing @ Leftovers
Levitate
Bold Nature
EVs 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpAtk

-Flamethrower
-Explosion
-Haze
-Thunderbolt

I figured that with his defense, I could Haze pokemon with boosts in defense or speed(possibly attack and slower pokemon that used Calm Mind). Flamethrower is for pesky Steel Pokemon that I can't hit hard against. Sludge Bomb for STAB and when all hope is lost, use Explosion. unfortunately, Explosion took a hit this Gen with loosing it's secondary effect of lowering the opponent's defense so I'm considering replacing it.

PRIMARY SPECIAL WALL
073.gif

TENTACID the Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Liquid Ooze
Timid Nature
EVs 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe

-Hydro Pump
-Giga Drain
-Rapid Spin
-Ice Beam

Even though Tentacruel doesn't have access to a priority move like Muk does and high HP, Tentacruel has higher Special Defense and Speed, plus a workable movepool. Knock Off is more so a support move, getting rid of items that may be needed for my opponents plan(Like a slower pokemon having a Flying Gem, using Acrobatics, but Resiting or taking normal damage from Ice) Rapid Spin was suggested, even though I considered it, I thought "meh, no one would suggest it" well I was wrong. Giga Drain got a boost this Gen and was suggested onto it

Updated 7/21. Changes in BOLD.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Use Focus Sash or Black Sludge/Leftovers on Drapion. The latter gives more reliable passive recovery than Shell Bell would. ALso, if you lead with Drapion, try this; Poison isn't a very good offensive type:
-Toxic Spikes
-Taunt/Whirlwind/Knock Off
-Crunch
-Earthquake
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Item: Black Sludge/Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor

IMO, Toxicroak is too frail to use Taunt. It also has little use of Anticipation; Dry Skin is the more useful ability against rain teams:
-Substitute
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 244 HP/252 Atk/12 Def
Item: Leftovers/Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin

or

-Swords Dance
-Drain Punch/Low Kick
-Sucker Punch
-Ice Punch/Substitute
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/25 2Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin

If you're using mixed Nidoking, try this instead; as said before, Poison isn't a good offensive type:
-Hone Claws
-Earthquake
-Blizzard
-Fire Blast/Thunder
Nature: Naive
EVs: 40 Atk/252 SAtk/216 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force

Nidoking is also better off using special attacks this generation, thanks to Sheer Force:
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Sludge Wave
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force

If you're using special attacks on Weezing, use Bold rather than Impish.

I'd give Tentacruel Toxic Spikes too, but since Drapion is already doing it, might as well go offensive. It can also support with Rapid Spin to remove entry Spikes and Stealth Rock:
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Giga Drain
-Ice Beam/Sludge Wave
-Rapid Spin
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze

vPHOTONv

Breeder/EV Trainer
Years
I am not familiar with gen v but I'll throw in my two cents since im using a weezing as well.

Nature:bold
Item:leftovers
Ability: levitate
Ev spread HP/Def 252 and Sp.A 4

Moveset
Thunderbolt
Fire blast
Will o wisp
Pain split

The reason I say tbolt over a stab move is he isn't really meant to hit hard. Thunderbolt will put a skarmory in it's place showing it isn't the biggest and baddest def wall out there. Fire blast is just to deal more damage to the single steel pokies and what not. Steel will be a big disadvantage for you, already. So make at least one pokie be able to hit it over and over.

Will o wisp is simple lower the opponents atk and have it try to hit a mass defense. It doesn't work out well, in their favor at least.
Pain split, terrible recovery move, but it can be useful, and if you can predict a switch or have great luck it's nice. Most people will try to get it's HP as low as they can with a burned pokie, then switch to attempt a ko, pain splitting at that moment if it's early in the game is great. You will get at least some HP back if they have full health. Leftovers is to make it take hit after hit after hit. Especially burned foes.

Just my weezing recommendation though. It's Smogon's tank form but I have been using it before I ever ready it on smogon.

Back