The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Old July 25th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Of course I am into DS hacking, but I saw this and it caught my attention. I was on TCRF Wiki today and saw this:

Quote:
Pokémon & Trainer Color Test Menu

This color test menu is basically a menu to easily change the color palettes of Pokémon, both normal and shiny palettes, and trainers as well as to conveniently list if a Pokémon is capable of learning a Technical Machine (TM) or Hidden Machine (HM). The menu code is located at 3F:54F1 in the Japanese rom (Gold and Silver, v1.0 and v1.1) and the screen update service has to be enabled (register FFD6 must be checked). Other language version ROMs have the code as well, but due to the screen not being localized, graphic bugs ensue. You have to select either Pokémon or trainer mode before loading the menu by setting CF21 to 0x00 for Pokémon mode and any other value for trainer mode.
What gets me is
Quote:
Other language version ROMs have the code as well, but due to the screen not being localized, graphic bugs ensue.
It says that a piece of ASM code is to be inserted and then used within a script, like a signpost or a person. The code is below:
Code:
call $0432		; Deactivate LCD
call $55D9		; Load font to RAM
call $0454		: Activate LCD
xor a, a
ld [$FF00 + $D1], a	; Reset X and Y scroll
ld [$FF00 + $D2], a
ld a, $01
ld [$FF00 + $AC], a	; Don't require button up between presses
call $5D85		; init menu
@Loop:
call $5EC0		; update menu
call $09FD		; get button press
call $5FD9		; update selection
call $5E5D		; process button press
call $032E		; do events
jr @Loop
What I was hoping to do is see if we can find this in the US/E releases of the game and try and correct those aforementioned graphical errors, as well as translate it (cookies if you want to make an Engrish version), and then make a patch for people to fool around with this menu in the several releases of the game. Does anyone see this as remotely possible?

And, if you want to read more on these menus, (not everything on the menu is in this post!) click here.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:52 PM
IIMarckus
J946@5488AA97464

Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
What I was hoping to do is see if we can find this in the US/E releases of the game and try and correct those aforementioned graphical errors, as well as translate it (cookies if you want to make an Engrish version), and then make a patch for people to fool around with this menu in the several releases of the game. Does anyone see this as remotely possible?
Yes, it would be quite easy. But:
  • It is possible, though not particularly likely, that the pointers (to Pokémon names, TM data, etc.) are no longer correct, and will need to be fixed.
  • Since English generally takes up more space than Japanese, some of the text will probably run across the screen or even wrap to the next line.

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links