The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Old July 19th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Giga Universe
Working on a tool.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via ICQ to Giga Universe Send a message via AIM to Giga Universe Send a message via Yahoo to Giga Universe Send a message via Skype™ to Giga Universe
Dive doesn't work in FireRed, I'm not sure if the code is there for it to work, but I suppose we could just write some more, as we could then create things like the underground.
I'm not sure if it helps, but I wrote a routine that finds a connection and stores the map and bank of that connection in a variable. You have to tell it what kind of connection to search for though...
0x5 is a 'Dive' connection, and 0x6 is a 'Emerge' connection.

Code:
.text
.align 2
.thumb
.thumb_func

main:
	push {r0-r5,lr}
	ldr r0, mapheader
	ldr r0, [r0,#0xC]
	ldr r1, [r0]
	ldr r0, [r0,#0x4]
	ldr r4, variable
	ldrh r5, [r4]
	mov r2, #0x0
	b search

search:
	cmp r1, #0x0
	beq notfound
	ldrb r3, [r0,r2]
	cmp r3, r5
	beq found
	add r2,#0xC
	sub r1, #0x1
	b search

notfound:
	pop {r0-r5,pc}

found:
	add r2, #0x8
	ldrb r1, [r0,r2]
	add r2, #0x1
	ldrb r2, [r0,r2]
	lsl r3, r1, #0x8
	orr r3, r2
	strh r3, [r4]
	pop {r0-r5,pc}

.align 2

mapheader:
	.word 0x02036DFC

variable:
	.word 0x020370D0 @Last result
All we need from here is to make it warp, and then we can make a tile behavior for it or something. I have absolutely no idea how to make it warp, so if someone could help there, then I could make this thing work...
Old July 19th, 2011, 12:53 PM
knizz

From Underwater: call script 081BE3D4
From Overworld: call script 081BE38B

To connect change the hometown-connection to a dive-connection set 08352754 to 05

To disable the check whether you actually have a dive pokemon with you set the 6 bytes 081BE394-081BE399 to 0. This function also decides which pokemon is shown in the black bar. So if you disable it and see a bad egg. That's because of this.

Disable the badge-check for HMs set 0812462E to 0.

There are two ways to warp. The special one is just used when the behaviour of the tile the player is standing on is 0x19 and when the light byte is set to 0x5. Through different ways the execution can reach 0806DFB0. To avoid that you can destroy the bne/beqs. Write 0000 to 0806DF82 and 0806DF9C. This is not a good solution though. I'm sure there is a reason why these if's are there.

I don't know if the warp destination is correct. But the bank and mapnumber are in the variables 7004 and 7005.

Last edited by knizz; July 19th, 2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Teh Blazer
Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
I may not be the brightest Ampharos in the lighthouse, but how would I make sense of this? Do we have to write a script and put this in, and how do we give stuff tile behaviors?

Last edited by Teh Blazer; July 29th, 2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old July 29th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Putin
Anspruchsvolle Narr

Nature: Brave
Perhaps this is flawed somehow, but could this not effectively be done using signpost scripts? You'd have to use it sparingly unless you had the space to spare, but then, using too many dive points is kind of obnoxious anyway.
Old July 29th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Lyzo
On vacation

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lyzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putin View Post
Perhaps this is flawed somehow, but could this not effectively be done using signpost scripts? You'd have to use it sparingly unless you had the space to spare, but then, using too many dive points is kind of obnoxious anyway.
You could do that, but if you wanted to make big dive areas like in Ruby and Saphire, this would make the game lag. So putting an ASM routine in the tile behaviour, either using JPAN's engine, or... something else Is much more efficient.

If you would like to make Dive work in only one part of your game, then your solution would work

Thank you The Blueprint !!!
Old July 30th, 2011, 05:11 AM
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

Nature: Timid
Why don't you locate one of those useless tile behaviour scripts like the ones that are the TV's talking or something and make a 'goto' (like in asm bx r0 xD ) to the diving scripts?

This way it isn't needed JPAN's engine for it to work. And its more easier IMO.

My Site (UNDER CONSTRUCTION):

(mage by Xryo)

PORTUGUESE USER
Sou o Dark rayquaza da antiga myutsu.net

My Laptop SPECS:

Credits to Eagledelt for the wonderfull sign :D

Old October 19th, 2011, 11:46 AM
avolonsaber

Wow, I was just about to start a thread about this :3

When it comes to ASM hacking Pokemon games I know nothing, in fact, my ASM knowledge is limited at best, and only limited to the Sonic The Hedgehog titles for the Genesis, lol. If you can port various things from one Sonic title to another though, I'm sure someone could port Dive and it's functionality to Fire Red. Sooo, yeah, if anyone is working on this, keep at it!
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:38 PM
DavidJCobb
RESIDENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAGEMASTER

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic1 View Post
Why don't you locate one of those useless tile behaviour scripts like the ones that are the TV's talking or something and make a 'goto' (like in asm bx r0 xD ) to the diving scripts?
Those are actually scripts, not ASM.

As for the DIVE functionality, I can tell you guys that the scripts (as in XSE) for it still exist in FireRed. They don't have any identifiable warp calls, so either the warping results from the field move animation commands, or ASM detects when the script ends and warps then.

If the former, then that would explain why the DIVE field move animation crashes when triggered from script: it needs to read values from some location to know where to warp to, and it's not getting valid ones. Figure out how the field move animation works, and it may then be possible to make DIVE fully-functional.
Old October 20th, 2011, 07:34 AM
sonic1
ASM is my life now...

Nature: Timid
I know that they were scripts. I was refering to the 'goto' script command.

About DIVE, i already have a fully functional version, and if you watch carefully, the coordinates are the ones of the player when warping.

(Cheap Test): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZiSs0r9yHI

My Site (UNDER CONSTRUCTION):

(mage by Xryo)

PORTUGUESE USER
Sou o Dark rayquaza da antiga myutsu.net

My Laptop SPECS:

Credits to Eagledelt for the wonderfull sign :D

Old November 18th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Hackrex
Unhatched Egg

for dive you can insert a new tileset (underwater tileset maybe tiles from kyledove). Ok, I try to make it work on a german rom. I hope I´m succesful.
What do I need in the Script? Should I use any special commands?

//Edit1: Ok, it works on a german rom, too.

//Edit2: Ok, I have written a tutorial. I hope you can understand it. If not please tell me and I would explain it. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=276031

Last edited by Hackrex; March 18th, 2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:25 AM
buggy131313
Beginning Trainer

Well, another trick is to have Dive at certain spots make you 'wash up' on some other location. Say, a beach that you warp to.
Old October 14th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Lance32497
LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by knizz View Post
From Underwater: call script 081BE3D4
From Overworld: call script 081BE38B
Good Day knizz, about the quoted one, How to call that offsets? So do I need to call it as a script or something? What is the step by step procedure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knizz View Post
To connect change the hometown-connection to a dive-connection set 08352754 to 05
What is 08352754? Is that 0x352754 offset? And 08 refers to a POINTER? Am I right?

And.... Do I need to insert the ASM code given by giga universe?

Last edited by Lance32497; October 14th, 2014 at 06:28 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links