The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful

Advertise here
First of all this isn't about the number of dragon pokemon in gen V.
Instead it's about having dragons as mascots again.
Was it a good idea to have dragon type mascots again?
If you could, what type would Reshiram and Zekrom and possibly Kyurem be if not part dragon?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
Pwnyta Jockey
Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!

Nature: Quiet
Dragons are always a good thing. Good again? Not in my opinion. Those flying nimbus things are more my mascots.

Wish Zekrom could use Earthquake or Rock moves.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
Personally I'd rather have Dragon mascots again over having a Fire/Fighting for the third time in a row.

I'd have preferred Dark type and a Fighting Type as mascots. Too go along with Black and White named.

As for what type I'd prefer the dragons to be I'd still have them as but change their secondary typing to Light(if that was going to be in place which id didn't) and Dark. Then keep Kyurem how it is.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
Hoenn
» Mind games
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
I like Zekrom & Reshiram so I have no problem with them or it.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I would have made them Fire/Flying, Electric/Dark, and Ice/normal as they would still have fit the theme that way....but dragons are good
three fire/fire starters vs 7 dragon mascots...at least the dragons have a diffrent secondary type...
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
deoxys121
White Kyurem Cometh

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Yahoo to deoxys121
I'm fine with Dragon-type mascots. While yes, we have had a lot of Dragon mascots (Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina), I feel they are very fitting towards legend. Since Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem are based on the concept of yin, yang, and wuji in Taoism, which is most common in China, I think Dragons are perfect to represent that.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
IMO Dragons are really the only Pokemon Types naturally reflect Legendary status.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Pika_Pika_Chu
Beginning Trainer

Location: Brazil. yeah actually I'm LIVING here. I'm american >.<
Nature: Naughty
Me too. I'm fine with Dragon-type Pokémon mascots and their types.

I just think Reshiram could have a different type. For me, Fire-type legendaries aren't that very good and useful on battles. My opinion though.

But I'm pretty fine with the fact Reshi is a Fire-type anyway.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:02 PM
Kevin
kevin del rey
Community Supporter

Yes there is too many dragon mascots. Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, (and possibly Kyurem).

Reshiram I thought would be a Light type, Zekrom a Shadow type. I didn't know about Kyurem then.

Now I'd say Reshiram as a Fire/Electric, Zekrom Dark/Electric, and Kyurem Ice/Electric.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:36 PM
2Cool4Mewtwo
Pwning in Ubers since 1996.

Nature: Rash
Dragon types are supposed to be "mythical" and "elusive" (or somewhere along those lines), so I wouldn't be complaining if we had more dragon type mascots.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:30 PM
Rayce
Nooo0000OOB

Nature: Impish
I personally have no problem that if pokemon feels that their legendaries must be so far above the rest of their pokemon(more so recently) they should be reflected as such with types that match that, psychic, steel and dragon immediately come to mind and guess what? Before generation 5 the legendaries were highly populated with psychic
(Mew, Mewtwo, Lugia, Celebi, Deoxys, Latias, Latios. They have even added Cresselia, Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf. I don't know if there are any 5th genereration because I only know some)
As for Steel there is only Registeel, Heatran, and Dialgia.
In fact Flying has Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Lugia, Ho-oh, Rayquaza, Shaymin Sky Form and many of the powerful mascot pokemon like Salamance and Charizard.
Dragon has Rayquaza, Latias, Latios, Dialgia, Palkia, Garatina, and now Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem. That's 9 to the 11 of psychic. Not to mention most of these pokemon are so strong if they weren't dragon it would be disappointing.

So I think there aren't to many dragons but I am giving those psychics a weird look now that I realize how many their are.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:37 PM
Raizhu
the end

I like Zekrom and Reshiram, but I'm hoping that we won't see too many dragon mascots in the future.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:20 AM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Dragon types are one of the only types who fit into legendary status. So I don't care about the dragon mascots. Since they really only started when Emerald came out. Before that we had Water/Fire/Flying/Electric/Psychic/Ground. So it's not really that bad. \:

I'd probably make Reshiram Fire/Flying or Psychic. Zekrom, Electric/Dark and Kyurem Ice/Normal
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:00 AM
Townes
Gentlemanly Hazard...

Nature: Quirky
Introduce a new type for Reshiram because it's about time we had a clear opposite to Dark- i.e Light or something along those lines, and then fire because Fire is, in some religions, a precursor to purification.

I would have made Zekrom dark, of the concept of it being based on the negative side of the Tao symbol, I would attempt to name it but I'd probably end up offending someone, and Electric because of it's design.

As for Kyurem, I would have said Ghost, because Ghost is sort of an absence of life and an aura of mystery, which I think Kyurem is, and then for some weird reason I'm inclined to say the second type should be Rock, because it fell from a meteor and my brain's very hardwired to make snap decisions :/

Anyhow, I don't have too much of a problem with more Dragon Legendaries, because Dragons are thought of as mythical and legends themselves, so they're fitting as legendary Pokemon and mascots.
Your day of Judgement

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:30 AM
d4rkpnio
Blaziken Trainer

Nature: Brave
well they shouda atleast made better pokemon like getting more eletric type not dragons o.o

I Want Starters!...

Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
The Best there was
Training To Be The Best

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
IMO Dragons are really the only Pokemon Types naturally reflect Legendary status.

I agree with this, dragon are the strongest type IMO so they should have the lead.

Lance's Team:
Blaziken - Lv40
Lairon - Lv40
Kadabra - Lv42
Azumarill - Lv40
Mightyena - Lv40
Raichu (Sparky) - Lv40
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
If they were going to change the type from Dragon-type, the design would have to be different as well imo. The only way to work the dark/light thing in would be to make them Dark and Psychic, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with one being obviously more powerful than the other because of typings during the fight with N, unless they were caught without their signature moves, which is also something I'd dislike :P

But Dragons in the game are generally some of the best, most powerful, and most rare Pokemon to catch. This fits in perfect with legendary status, so having legendaries that are Dragon type again still works well imo.
PM
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
The Nightmare
"I fight for what I belive in"

Nature: Quiet
I like dragon types anyway but reshiram should be a flying/fire if there is too many dragon types.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
Charmageddon
Charizard has evolved into ^

There are quite a lot of Dragon mascots, but as others have said, it's not too annoying because Dragon makes a lot of sense for as a type for legendary Pokemon. Plus, Dragon mascots are still outnumbered by non-dragon mascots (9 to 6), so it's not too bad. That said, if the 6th gen games have Dragon mascots again I would start to get annoyed.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:18 PM
Deenaa
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Impish
I think Dragon type is rather appropriate for the Legendaries, and even though there are quite a few of them, there's a lot of variance in their design overall.

However, it'd be nice to see some different types getting more of a spotlight. I'd personally like to see a major Ghost type Legendary.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:05 PM
Palantides
Village Idiot

Dragon type is somewhat appropriate for a legendary pokemon, but the fact that there are a great deal of mythological creatures that are as powerful, elusive, and "legendary" as a dragon, I feel that the constant addition of them somewhat cheapens their quality.

Dragons are wicked, dragon pokemon are wicked. Now let's see something like a Griffin, or a Chimera, or maybe even some kind of Naga snake king or Gyges from Greek Myth.

Lots of stuff that could be used, and fit in an interesting way, without having to repeatedly use dragons.

"The only thing I'm afraid of is fear" - Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:22 AM
~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
Buffalo State College

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to ~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~
I sometimes forget that Zekrom and Reshiram are infact Dragon type Pokemon, anyways

Was it a good idea to have dragon type mascots again?
Well they are the main reasons the game is called Pokemon Black and White

If you could, what type would Reshiram and Zekrom and possibly Kyurem be if not part dragon?
Maybe instead of Dragon and electric for Zekrom, maybe Dark and Electric and for Reshiram umm Fire/Normal hmm...=/

TG

Friend Code: 3136-6961-3807 Friend Safari:Steel: Metang, Magneton and Klefi
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Hydreigarchomp91
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Modest
Dragons are cool,I don't really understand what are you complaining.. After all,dragons are considered as mythical and unique creatures,reality or not.
Old August 6th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Simmy93
Aspiring Emulator

Nature: Sassy
I can't see any other type represent legendary status properly anymore.. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

Team:

Pokemon Platinum
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Jack
ego
Community Supporter Tier 2

Dragons is the most popular pokemon type in the game as far as my knowledge stretches.

So yeah i saw this one coming ever since i played my first pokemon game.

Pokemon X/Y FC: 2380-4409-6283

Trade Reviews: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=321271
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here