• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVK

Hack based-God
Years
Map Name: Lax Yar Town

Map Game: FireRed

Comments: Newest Map! Rate ^^

Mapshot:

laxyartownzv6.jpg

map is pretty generic, it's a neat little town, probably suit a starting town or second..... the beach also looks un natural in that shape.

5/10

Map Name:Drakor Forest
Game:None yet
Comments: this is a forest map, please don't rate the square border please, it is there to eliminate border errors.

Spoiler:

Credits:Kyledove

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
Comments: this is a forest map, please don't rate the square border please, it is there to eliminate border errors.

Spoiler:

Review: Well, the trees are scattered so it looks more natural, although all those trash can tiles (I think) makes the map look not as good. D: The empty spaces near the border trees look kind of awkward, so I suggest filling in those spaces with trees. The flower placing is... alright, and the cave looks randomly placed in there. But what ever floats your boat, I guess. I honestly don't like how you put the paths, but that's just me.

Suggestions: Remove all those trash cans (I think that's what they are), fill in the spaces near the tree borders... I guess that's it. The map isn't that bad, actually.

RedFan

Master Trainer
Years

Spoiler:

Review:There's too much grass all around the place and too much of these air-vents/trash cans (whatever those blue things are).
I like the tree placment, they're not straight.

Rating:7/10

My maps =]

Name: Route 2
Game: FireRed Nameless Hack
Credits: Gamefreak

Spoiler:

Name: Nameless City

Spoiler:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
First, it looks weird to see that only part of the map is not autumn, it would have looked better to have the entire map look autumnish, and it doesn't look like much of a city with 3 houses only, where is the PC/Mart/Gym etc.. Also, the path on the right looks like you didn't block edit the bottom of the path, and the path on the left really leads to nowhere, it serves no purpose there if it just leads to a dead end, Anyways, i like how the map looks (tiles are awesome btw) but it needs a lot of stuff to work on. 5/10

Map Name:route 2
ROM base: fire red
Comments: none

well i like this map its shape is well done well i have to say not much room to go but the desired ways :) but either or still good map hmmm faults not really :P
9.5/10

map
Spoiler:

RedFan

Master Trainer
Years
well i like this map its shape is well done well i have to say not much room to go but the desired ways :) but either or still good map hmmm faults not really :P
9.5/10

map
Spoiler:

You're kinda forcing me to rate your map xD

Review:Laso nuothign much to say :D execpt... for the downer ledge, it has no use, and i see what you tried to do with it :D but it has space beneath it and the little tree doesnt fit in :D

My map :P

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2011
You're kinda forcing me to rate your map xD

Review:Laso nuothign much to say :D execpt... for the downer ledge, it has no use, and i see what you tried to do with it :D but it has space beneath it and the little tree doesnt fit in :D

My map :P

Spoiler:

It's not a bad map, I think (:
Something about the melange of smaller and larger trees near the middle just seems a bit too much for me. But that might just be me.

However, the building that connects the towns/cities to the routes on the right, seems strangely out of perspective compared to everything else.
Perhaps it's the sizing.

The rocks in the water on the left are making a diagonal line and it's slightly annoying me xD
But overall, I like ^^

Anyway, here's my first map I made in years:
Fire Red ROM
Hoenn Rombase
Credit to NzFury and Alucus (:

Name of Town: Salika Town
Spoiler:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Game base FR
Game unamed test map
Credits, kyledove & speed dialga

map
Spoiler:

Review: This map seems quite empty to me - There are no flowers and only one small tree. Try putting a greater variety of tiles (like small trees, flowers, sandy/dirt paths, boulders etc) throughout the map to fill it up more. Your decision to place two lampposts right next each other seems a bit odd, I mean, you haven't used them anywhere else on the map and lamps (in the real world) are meant to be spaced apart to ensure that they do their job over a wide area. Putting some more around the map will also help to fill up the empty space.

What are those three blue-bar things (they kind of look like bicycle racks) exactly? I've always pictured them as fences, so if that is what you also see them as then try to use them like they are fences rather than placing them one at a time in random parts of the map. If you don't see them as fences, then disregard this and my last two sentences :D. The small ledge at the bottom of the map is kind of unnecessary seeing as how the player can easily bypass it. It also forces the player to go through a one-tile path if they are travelling from left to right (there are also two other one tile paths at the top of the map) so getting rid of that would be a good thing :)

Overall, the ideas behind this map are good, but it's construction could have been done better.

Spoiler:

First off: well done on your tree placement, you've done an excellent job in mapping in a 'natural' style. Unfortunately, while your trees are placed like this, the large grey road that goes through your town conflicts greatly with it. I mean, everything surround the road is random, while the path itself is a constant width which never changes despite it's surroundings. While I'm not saying you should make the road jagged and totally random like some of your sandy paths, consider breaking it up into two or three parts and experiment with it's width to help give it a greater 'freestyle feel' like the rest of the map. Some of the distance involved when travelling in between your buildings (particularly the Pokemon Centre with the rest of the town) is larger than it needs to be. Considering shortening the distance between the buildings since they seem quite far apart as well as the long empty road down the left side of them map.

The pier seems to have some depth-perception problems. Looks at it's tiny stilt legs on it's bottom and compare it to the height of the cliff above it - The difference in height is quite large. I suggest forcing the player to go down a flight of stairs before being able to walk on the pier. Speaking of stairs, the set of stairs leading to the beach on the far right should be at least two tiles wide, along with the small strip of sand the player has to walk on once they have reached the bottom. This will give them a greater freedom of movement, like you have generally given them throughout the rest of the map.

I strongly advise you to have a look at Pokemon's original maps and look at the tree shadowing. I can see a lot of shadowing errors across your map so learning when and where to apply shadows will be very beneficial for both this map and those you make in the future. Finally, you have used only one regular ground tile in this map, when there are five different available tiles in the default FR/LG tileset. Use these tiles randomly to break up any chance of having boring and repetitive ground.

Overall, I think this map's tree placement has done a great job of emulating a 'natural style' while other aspects of the town haven't succeeded as much. Don't get me wrong, this is a very good map, but the devils are in the details :P

Fire Red ROM
Hoenn Rombase

Spoiler:

The centre of this map seems very empty - Try adding a sandy/ dirt path to remove the monotony of the regular ground tile. The very top level of two of your house roofs don't seem to sync up with the other parts of the house. The lower left house appears to have a perfect roof, so the other two should copy it's arrangement of roof tiles. The small body of water in front of the lab isn't really necessary and restricts the player's movement - Consider making its dimensions smaller or moving it to an area which doesn't impede the play as much.

Similar to what I said to RedFan, this map's regular ground needs to be broken up between the five ground tiles rather than using the same one throughout the map's entirety. Along with that, consider learning how to add shadows to the default FR/LG trees correctly from closely analysing the original maps.

nasonex

is trying to learn how to hack
Years
Fire Red ROM
Hoenn Rombase

Spoiler:
7/10
I think that it's too plain. try adding some paths. :)

My first town Map!

Please tell all your honest opinions, comments, ideas and reaction(violent or non-violent! xD)

I made this map last year and I happen to see it again while looking for stuff so it's a very very old map! :D

============================
Rom: Pokemon Fire Red
Game Title: N/A
Map Name: N/A
Credits: Crimson Stardust, DrFuji and
Ray Maverick for the Inspiration

Spoiler:

Last edited:

MayanMan2012

Pokemon Dawn/Dusk: Coming Soon
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2014
Here's an image of KELIA FOREST - a Location in a hack I'm working on. I'm not very good at forests, caves, etc. so I wanted to post it here to see how you guys found it.

Spoiler:

Thanks!
~MayanMan

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
My first town Map!

Please tell all your honest opinions, comments, ideas and reaction(violent or non-violent! xD)

I made this map last year and I happen to see it again while looking for stuff so it's a very very old map! :D

Rom: Pokemon Fire Red
Game Title: N/A
Map Name: N/A
Credits: Crimson Stardust, DrFuji and
Ray Maverick for the Inspiration

Spoiler:

This map looks very nice, it generally allows the player a good degree of movement freedom. Many people see the small round bushes as being designed to be placed in corners or other areas where they look nice, rather than being a major part of the map like they seem to be doing in yours. In your town, the bushes look like they are obstacles for the player to walk around which goes against their purpose and their design. I'd advise cutting back on them (especially in front of the lab) and moving them to less conspicuous areas so they aren't an annoyance to the player.

I believe that you should use all of the regular ground tiles that are available to you (there are five in the default FR/LG main tileset) because it prevents the ground from becoming monotonous and boring. You've done a good job with the tree shadowing even though is hard to see because the file is saved as .jpg but I can see four errors in the top left, where some tiles need to be shaded. The small sign behind the house on the left seems to be oddly placed, since from a design perspective it doesn't seem like an accessible place to read it - There is a one-tile path in front of it which isn't player friendly.

Overall, I think you've done a great job on this map, but few small changes will help make it even better. Well done :P

Here's an image of KELIA FOREST - a Location in a hack I'm working on. I'm not very good at forests, caves, etc. so I wanted to post it here to see how you guys found it.

Spoiler:

Thanks!
~MayanMan

You appear to have two different styles of mapping in this map - The 'natural' style that makes up the majority of it, and then the 'Nintendo' style which constitutes the path running up the left and borders of the map. While there is nothing wrong with using them both, it is certainly strange to see the two so close to each other. I would also have to say that your uses of them haven't been particularly successful, seeing as how the centre (natural) of the map is basically composed of one-tile paths, while the left (Nintendo) side is just one long and boring straight line for the player to walk down. I like your use of the natural style so the player could get lost in the deeper parts of the forest, but don't be afraid to give the player more space to move, since at this point it is very restrictive in how it lets the player traverse it's twists and turns. As for the path going up the left, try adding some bends in it, or make the player walk through some grass or something (it is beside a forest so I'd be surprised if no grass had overgrown it's boundaries).

I think you should reconstruct the part of the map where the land meets the water, since the player should technically be allowed to surf there and go down a one-tile path that leads to nowhere, making it essentially useless. Consider closing off access to the water by placing a default FR/LG tree or expanding the area where the player is able to surf so they won't feel angry that they had to go down a tiny crack for nothing. If you feel like adding it, you could add a small island or extend a part of the mainland with something on it in-game so they actually have something to reach when surfing. I've also notice some shadowing errors on the default FR/LG trees in the bottom left and two of the forest's trees are missing their tops in the lower half of the map. Once again, like I said to nasonex and two others in my last post, try using all of five of the default ground tiles that are available to you :D

Overall, I believe that this map could use some improvement. I really like how you have made it easy for the player to lose themselves in a winding forest, but don't sacrifice mobility to achieve this. I believe that focusing on this and making the long path up the left entertaining will help to make this map better :)

MayanMan2012

Pokemon Dawn/Dusk: Coming Soon
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2014
Well, I guess I should have explained a few more things about the forest, because this is where the professor is working. I plan to insert a new lab in place of the two other buildings, but the path is actually man-made to protect the workers from wild pokemon (and the hero, cause it's before he gets his starters). The other thing is that this is the place to find all the other starters, water in the water, grass in the grass, and fire around the lab. Otherwise - I've fixed the trees in-game, I've opened a few paths, and simply increased the size of others. I'm not sure how to make the path better, because I need for it to be walled off from the rest of the forest...any ideas how to do it?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years

Spoiler:

Thanks!
~MayanMan

Well, this is a nice forest in general, and has a natural feel to it, but not very good gameplay. The player could go through it barely touching any tall grass, and the trees are so random that a player trying to navigate the forest can and would get lost easily.
Rating: 7/10

My Map
Name: None
Map Game: Firered (Just a practice map)
Credits: Laidjon*, Zein, lalo0101
Comments: My attempt at a truly Game Freak styled map.
Spoiler:

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
My Map
Name: None
Map Game: Firered (Just a practice map)
Credits: Laidjon*, Zein, lalo0101
Comments: My attempt at a truly Game Freak styled map.
Spoiler:

If you were going for a game freak styled map you pretty much nailed it. The only 2 things I could think of that looked out of place were the lake, which is not perfectly square, and the small tree's connecting to the large trees I don't think that tile is used.
Sorry I have not reviewed in 2 months.

As I said this is my first map for 2 months... it is a simple remake of fire red route 2. with some new tiles
(see attachment)

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 123

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
As I said this is my first map for 2 months... it is a simple remake of fire red route 2. with some new tiles
(see attachment)
Well, first of all, the trees are really a problem. They lack the overlapping tiles that fourth generation trees have. There are some versions that have their overlaps removed, I think you can find them on PHO. Use those.

Also, I don't really see what this is a remake of, it doesn't seem like any Fire Red map I've ever seen.

So...this is still a really nice map. Just fix the above.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
If you were going for a game freak styled map you pretty much nailed it. The only 2 things I could think of that looked out of place were the lake, which is not perfectly square, and the small tree's connecting to the large trees I don't think that tile is used.
Sorry I have not reviewed in 2 months.

(see attachment)
That looks nothing like route 2 :/ Where is the forest?

Anyways, it looks like a nice map, but the pond (or whatever it is) looks out of place, and there are no flowers. D: try to get rid of the one tile path near the bottom of the map. You could also make the ledges near the middle of the map more curved. There's really not that much I can say. Good job on the mountain shape and tree placement, though!
--------------------------
My map, now.

Game: FR
Comments: This is the second route of my hack. The GSC trees are headbutt trees, and the cave is a dead end cave that contains a story event.
Spoiler:

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
chrunch said:
My map, now.

Comments: This is the second route of my hack. The GSC trees are headbutt trees, and the cave is a dead end cave that contains a story event.
Spoiler:

Ok first impressions when I look at that map is how neat it is the tree's for example are in neat rows and columns and the and the patches of long grass are all rectangles.
If you were going for a game freak style map it is perfect aside from the mountains which look like they have come from a more natural map.
only other thing i can point out (and im just nit picking now is the 1 tile path in the centre of the map, I have been reading this thread for long enough now to know that gets you shouted at quite a lot...
game freak map = 9/10
natural map = 2/10
depending on what you were going for

Now on to my map:
I no the water looks a bit iffy but I am going out in a few mins and wanted to get this map posted before I left so there was no time to work out the kinks.
Enter from the bottom right and exit from the top centre.

Attachments

• Test Map.jpg
    Test Map.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 119

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Now on to my map:
I no the water looks a bit iffy but I am going out in a few mins and wanted to get this map posted before I left so there was no time to work out the kinks.
Enter from the bottom right and exit from the top centre.
Well, I think that this map is very good. It looks very natural. I like how you placed the trees to both be natural but also block the player from going off-map. The only thing that bothers me is the bridge. I personally think it looks rather good, but there are people who will give you a hard time about it. Good luck stopping them. :D

My Map
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
HackDeoxys said:
Map Name: Canclave City (Remap)
Base ROM: FireRed (Pokemon ShadowStone)
Comments: This is not intended to be an exact remap.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Ok this map is quite basic but very nearly flawless, I can only find a few flaws. first of all the path ways all vary in size they should be constant throughout the map second up is the first bridge from the bottom is incomplete I assume you meant that..? third up and perhaps the most important is that you don't have to cross a bridge to get to the other side of the map, If you have done your movement permissions right then you can walk through the tree line at the bottom of the map. Is this because you did not have the correct tiles maybe..?

overall: 9/10
well done, and hope some one other than us two posts here soon (=

My map:
(I know the house tile error waiting on some tiles)
Again no particular purpose but I am sure I can throw it into Rumble Rock some where... sorry about spamming maps here just trying to get back into mapping (=

see attachment

Attachments

• rock map.jpg
    rock map.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 86

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
Years
Ok this map is quite basic but very nearly flawless, I can only find a few flaws. first of all the path ways all vary in size they should be constant throughout the map second up is the first bridge from the bottom is incomplete I assume you meant that..? third up and perhaps the most important is that you don't have to cross a bridge to get to the other side of the map, If you have done your movement permissions right then you can walk through the tree line at the bottom of the map. Is this because you did not have the correct tiles maybe..?

overall: 9/10
well done, and hope some one other than us two posts here soon (=

My map:
Again no particular purpose but I am sure I can throw it into Rumble Rock some where... sorry about spamming maps here just trying to get back into mapping (=

see attachment

9/10, good job man. It has that natural, valley feel to it and I like that. Besides that tile error I think this map is spot on haha :)

Map Name: 1st Floor of Players House
Base: Fire Red
Game: Pokemon Daydream White/Nightmare Black
Comment: This is my second time doing an indoor map, not really good at it but tried by best.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/mjiznumber1/PlayerHouseDWNB.png

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Spoiler:
Well, I like this map. You've imitated Game Freak style very well, and while this map has empty parts, you've added the flowers and sandy paths as decoration. Great usage of empty space. :D
I don't understand the purpose of the rightmost patch of grass, given the fact that it doesn't go anywhere. I'd suggest putting an item or event there (unless you already have). There are a few shading errors with the trees, you'll notice. And last, although this is not the Tile/Palette Rating Thread, I'd suggest making the Headbutt trees a tad lighter.

My map:

see attachment
Well, this is another good map. Unlike the map above, which is mapped in Game Freak style, this one has a natural feel, which I like. The only major problem is the massive amount of tall grass in this map. I mean, most routes have at most maybe five large patches of tall grass. Yours has twenty-four. There. Is. Too. Much. Tall. Grass. Besides that, there's a overlaps error on two of the trees in the top right corner.

Map Name: 1st Floor of Players House
Base: Fire Red
Game: Pokemon Daydream White/Nightmare Black
Comment: This is my second time doing an indoor map, not really good at it but tried by best.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/mjiznumber1/PlayerHouseDWNB.png
Funny, this has got to be the first indoor map I've seen on this thread. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't any real standard of what makes a good indoor map. In my opinion, this is a good map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back