• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Red hack: Kanto Explorers: Wisteria

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
Years
KANTO EXPLORERS: WISTERIA
title.PNG

(Previously known as Pokemon: Wisteria)

Introduction
On my second run through Pokemon Brown, it got me thinking. Hacking. Where did it all start? I looked through my drawers of stuff I used to make when I was younger and pulled out a small cardboard box. Inside was tons of paper drawings of fake pokemon, maps of towns and cities that dont exist, scrap paper of storylines and plots. I hadnt opened this box since I was 8 years old.

You're probably wondering where I got the name from? Well, I'm starting a series of hacks called the Kanto Explorers. These hacks both extend the story of Generation 1 and 2 but also incorporate stories from other gen 1 or 2 hacks. As you may have noticed, there are already references to the greatest Pokemon Red hack to date, Pokemon Brown.

I plan to have three hacks in this series: Kanto Explorers: Wisteria, a story about Blue's ancestry, the first in the series. Kanto Explorers: The Lost Gem, a story about Red's ancestry and Kanto Explorers: The Chapter Continues, about Red and Blue's endeavors after the Kanto Elite Four.

Version
Pokemon Red - Yes, I've gone totally old school.

Plot
The story is set some time before Red's story occurs. A young female who lives on Eins Island awakens from a disturbing dream, her father who was recently lost in the field telling her about a Vulpix stolen by the Schwarz Gang. Realising she is also late for school, she quickly rushes from Mohre Town - Where she lives - to Erdbeer Village. As she enters the village she is stopped by her best friend Li, who is also late. They quickly run to the school to pick up their Pokedex and their first Pokemon. When they get there they are confronted by their angry teacher. She gives them both a quest, one which she secretly wishes she had completed herself. She decides to tag along with the protagonist on her journey to find her lost father and to complete the Pokedex, leaving Li behind...

Characters

Protagonist - A young female just turned 16. She never got a Pokemon when she was eligable. Her parents wanted her to study first. Her father disappeared a few months ago after he left to research in the field. She sometimes gets strange precognitive dreams and they always feature her father. She longs to find him and it his her primary concern when she finally leaves her town. She is an only child, but wishes when she is older to have many children being a family orientated person.

Li - The protagonist's best friend. He is often getting into trouble at school and dislikes doing any type of work. He lives with his older sister who is always very kind. He never knew his parents who left for the Hoenn region when he was just a small child. He secretly has a crush on the protagonist but would never admit it to your face.

"Teacher" - A strange woman who believes discipline comes before education. She often has a freakout when she gets excited and holds many secrets. She has a son who she never talks about, and she hides him away in her mansion, or so they say...

Professer Oak - The protagonist's father. A strange eccentric man obsessed with capturing and observing every single Pokemon.

Brown "Senior" - An odd chap who never speaks. He is the leader of the WeiB gang, and although mute he can be very powerful with actions. People often call him Brown, no one is sure what his real name is. His wife is heavily pregnant with a son, who they are going to name Red...

Eli - A person so old you could hide in his wrinkles. No one is sure what his secret is, but he should've died of old age years ago. No one truly knows how old he is either, but he cannot move, and rarely speaks. When he does, all he can utter is whispers of the past and ramblings of the future.

Kanto Explorer "Red" - The most powerful trainer. That's all anyone knows about him, and has ever known. Rumours say he exists but no one has ever seen him. He is like a chinese whisper, a broken legend...

Features

-Totally New Region
I want this hack to be a complete overhaul. I want to throw the player into a new world!

-All text is changed
This is needed for the story.

-New tiles
I've added new tiles which are a mix of my own and some ripped from Firered and Ruby.

-A visit to a personal favourite region
Let's just say Brown/Prism fans will be happy.

-Slight Music Change
I've changed some of the music in the game. It will become obvious when you start a new game hehe.

-Genetically Modified Pokemon
The Schwarz Gang have no love for Pokemon. When they capture a Pokemon they send it to their lab to be modified to have no emotion and to grow stronger much faster. They also teach these Pokemon cruel ways and often force them to learn attacks they don't normally learn.

-Train
Yeah. The train from Gold and Silver makes a return. But not how you'd think.

-Virtual Reality Chamber
Wow. A virtual world in a virtual world? How crazy! The virtual reality chamber allows you to explore places and capture pokemon not native to the region. The reality you will explore will most probably be a cross between Kanto and Rijon.

Screenshots
15257689bcfe634d75fcebe7cfe4bfa63ff5692e.png
15257687fd7546e0c2b243b7883c1eeb9e4635b2.png
15257686a68def1ada054642cc586c67e9a6ee9b.png
1525768512e6d5ec01a193eeab8a858949610035.png

152576849734d486867b2b15e8fd854227553894.png
15257683580c9742661951045b153a283327c47d.png
15257682a2a888d146e4535121e8728064f40b68.png
1525768183567f20d47003b5a743108440fd3b72.png

15257680b237c789b91c1e67401cfeb96f817efd.png
15257679babcbe0f1488cc5e9bee3f0967f8c6ee.png
15257677e68f03d5650ef0d65be4c658f9619d4f.png
15257672707bacc02869dc021093a71938d81515.png

1525767171ba225e929333e2e4d07dd0fc4af8cc.png
152576703c28c15f747f46c7a77b2a37da50be83.png
1525766917068b9107a4ac2c491172bb689b5c03.png

Download
Version 2.3 ~ 2 Gyms ~ Check attachment.

Support
pokemonwisteriabanner.png

HTML:
[IMG]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/885/pokemonwisteriabanner.png[/IMG]

Credit
Coolboyman ~ For LOTS of help. Couldn't thank him enough.
Sawakita ~ For EVEN MORE help. Gosh I love this guy.
Iron Nidow ~ Yellow Sprites in Red patch.

Last edited:
Years
I assume that something just went wrong when posting the screenshots, because it seems that there are none there (at least, I can't see them). So, I'll approve this, providing you add screenshots within the next 24 hours. :)

~Red

Years

For being number one no-info hack that is...

Anyways, your thread looks profesional but if we see broken images almost no one will care about playing your game... :/

I can see the images perfectly fine. What browser are you using?

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
Years
I am using Firefox, and I also cannot see the Images, the same happens over at Skeetendo.

Just double checking that my browser wasn't doing something strange I wget'ed one of the images:

Code:
wget http://flickcabin.com/pthumbs/large/117256/1.PNG--2011-09-03 10:18:59--  http://flickcabin.com/pthumbs/large/117256/1.PNG
Resolving flickcabin.com... 173.236.228.221
Connecting to flickcabin.com|173.236.228.221|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2011-09-03 10:19:00 ERROR 404: Not Found.

It simply does not exist on the server, it's likely showing on your computer from your Cache.

Last edited:

~Red

Years
I'll get them up as soon as possible.

EDIT: Fixed. Also, some news, the Virtual Reality chamber is pretty much done, I just need to map what's inside it and change the control panel text.

Last edited:

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
I can see the images and am using Google Chrome.

I started out the same way as you, drawing maps, and have released two hacked GBA games. I'm waiting for my latest one's thread to be approved.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years
While I'm very interested in playing (and I've already downloaded the .ips), I think you should provide the following information in the OP:

Pokemon generation available: Is this exclusively 1st gen? And if so does this feature all 151 (version exclusives included)? You should provide more specifics for those who may not have played Prism/Brown.

If this isn't the final version, how far does this current beta get you? How many badges can you expect to finish the beta with before it's over? We shouldn't have to ask for this information to receive it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
Awesome, a Red hack! Wisteria was one of the hacks that got me interested in hacking Gen 1, so I'm glad to see it back. I'll play this as soon as I am able to. I have a question about this hack, though. Do you recycle scripts from Red Version (like Koolboyman's Brown Version), or are you making completely new scripts (like Sawatika's Wood Version)?

~Red

Years
Awesome, a Red hack! Wisteria was one of the hacks that got me interested in hacking Gen 1, so I'm glad to see it back. I'll play this as soon as I am able to. I have a question about this hack, though. Do you recycle scripts from Red Version (like Koolboyman's Brown Version), or are you making completely new scripts (like Sawatika's Wood Version)?

I'll probably be doing a combination. I'd like to finish the game with red's scripts, and if I learn ASM after the release, I'll go back and change the game to be more like I intended.

Pokemon generation available: Is this exclusively 1st gen? And if so does this feature all 151 (version exclusives included)? You should provide more specifics for those who may not have played Prism/Brown

I don't see how this is important.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years
I don't see how this is important.

It's important because 1. Some people like planning their team ahead of time before actually playing. 2. Some players don't like surprises. 3. Many hackers use more than one generation in a single game; it's expected that people know what they're going to find. 4. It will prevent more posts like my last one from coming up. Eventually, you will get tired of having to repeat yourself, the longer this thread gets.

Last edited:

abrar14

Banned
Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2012
erm...hi im new to playing hack and want to know why it wont work. i downloaded it but when i try to play it it says windows cant open this file. ay help would be appreciated

~Red

Years
erm...hi im new to playing hack and want to know why it wont work. i downloaded it but when i try to play it it says windows cant open this file. ay help would be appreciated

Hmm, that sounds like a windows specific error. Are you sure you patched it to a clean Pokemon Red ROM? Try using a different emulator, I use VisualBoyAdvance.

It's important because 1. Some people like planning their team ahead of time before actually playing. 2. Some players don't like surprises. 3. Many hackers use more than one generation in a single game; it's expected that people know what they're going to find. 4. It will prevent more posts like my last one from coming up. Eventually, you will get tired of having to repeat yourself, the longer this thread gets.

Ok, I see what you mean. Thanks for creating a banner :)

abrar14

Banned
Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2012
this is gonna sound stupid but how do i patch it. its my first time trying to play a hack

Back